CSNbbs
Bowl bound? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Bowl bound? (/thread-926239.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bowl bound? - jaybird44 - 08-01-2021 06:03 AM

With the emergence of young talented players that doesn't know any better and a very favorable schedule, could ODU be bowl bound. I am a fan talking but I see a possible 6 to 7 wins here. How about you?

RE: Bowl bound? - ODUBB35 - 08-01-2021 08:58 AM

(08-01-2021 06:03 AM)jaybird44 Wrote:  With the emergence of young talented players that doesn't know any better and a very favorable schedule, could ODU be bowl bound. I am a fan talking but I see a possible 6 to 7 wins here. How about you?

I still remember how awful we were the last season we took the field. I still have concerns at the QB position which is one you have to get right if you want to win in today's game.

I like the upgrade in recruiting that RR has brought in, but I think it's going to take some time. I'd be thrilled if you are correct, but I don't see a bowl for us this year.

RE: Bowl bound? - Chillie Willie - 08-01-2021 09:19 AM

(08-01-2021 08:58 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(08-01-2021 06:03 AM)jaybird44 Wrote:  With the emergence of young talented players that doesn't know any better and a very favorable schedule, could ODU be bowl bound. I am a fan talking but I see a possible 6 to 7 wins here. How about you?

I still remember how awful we were the last season we took the field. I still have concerns at the QB position which is one you have to get right if you want to win in today's game.

I like the upgrade in recruiting that RR has brought in, but I think it's going to take some time. I'd be thrilled if you are correct, but I don't see a bowl for us this year.

Ditto. I’m only seeing 3 or 4 wins. The competition is tough. It’s possible these guys could pull off some wins in close games, but they are young and that makes it less likely. So, no bowl this year.

RE: Bowl bound? - DWING - 08-01-2021 09:27 AM

I'm hopeful, like any true fan should be.
However, realistically I think a bowl this year is a long shot.
Here's to seeing how it plays out. The season starts in ~ a month. I'm ready!

RE: Bowl bound? - monarx - 08-01-2021 01:03 PM

It’s a long shot for sure. I see three or maybe four wins. Next season is when I expect to be back to winning. Hope you’re right though.

RE: Bowl bound? - VB Monarch - 08-01-2021 01:35 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't there been a drastic reduction in the number of bowl games? If so 6-6 might not be good enough. It never really was IMO.

RE: Bowl bound? - T-Mac - 08-01-2021 02:57 PM

The QBs being considered for the starting role right now are all considerable upgrades over the production we got at the position the last time we saw the team play.

RE: Bowl bound? - ODUalum78 - 08-01-2021 03:23 PM

(08-01-2021 02:57 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  The QBs being considered for the starting role right now are all considerable upgrades over the production we got at the position the last time we saw the team play.

I think QB is still a huge question mark. We have five Roster QBs, two of whom are true Freshmen.
Stone Smart, DJ Mack, and Hayden Wolff are likely the starting candidates, with, according to published reports, Smartt looking the best in the Spring game.

Bowl bound? - DWING - 08-01-2021 06:27 PM

(08-01-2021 03:23 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(08-01-2021 02:57 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  The QBs being considered for the starting role right now are all considerable upgrades over the production we got at the position the last time we saw the team play.

I think QB is still a huge question mark. We have five Roster QBs, two of whom are true Freshmen.
Stone Smart, DJ Mack, and Hayden Wolff are likely the starting candidates, with, according to published reports, Smartt looking the best in the Spring game.

From what we saw out of Smart last season (2019) that isn’t good to hear. He was pedestrian at best during live action. His inability to throw resulted in defenses stacking the box and shutting us down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Bowl bound? - ODUalum78 - 08-01-2021 06:33 PM

(08-01-2021 06:27 PM)DWING Wrote:  

From what we saw out of Smart last season (2019) that isn’t good to hear. He was pedestrian at best during live action. His inability to throw resulted in defenses stacking the box and shutting us down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess we'll see. Hayden Wolff would likely be the guy in a perfect (more experienced OL) world.

https://odusports.com/news/2021/4/3/minium-for-the-first-time-in-493-days-there-were-fans-and-players-ats-b-ballard-stadium.aspx

RE: Bowl bound? - monarx - 08-01-2021 07:04 PM

Was hoping Smartt would have improved but still be our worst option. Unless he’s 5x better, if he’s the best we have, we’re still in trouble. I even hoped Poff would be better than Smartt.

RE: Bowl bound? - devyanks90 - 08-01-2021 09:56 PM

(08-01-2021 01:35 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't there been a drastic reduction in the number of bowl games? If so 6-6 might not be good enough. It never really was IMO.

I think that was temporary for last year. Including the playoff, I see 42 games for this year.

RE: Bowl bound? - EverRespect - 08-02-2021 07:56 AM

I wouldn't predict a bowl year, but you never know. A surprise UAB level reset isn't out of the realm of possibilities given the seemingly better recruiting and upgrade in coaching (on paper). We'll see... my son's soccer schedule likely keeps me from attending many games this year, if any, but hoping RR can build a legacy and get us out of purgatory.

RE: Bowl bound? - EverRespect - 08-02-2021 07:58 AM

I thought Wolff showed promise last season. Of course, that was 2 years ago.

RE: Bowl bound? - ODUalum78 - 08-02-2021 09:07 AM

(08-02-2021 07:58 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Harry:
Quote:Hayden Wolff, the redshirt freshman from Venice, Florida, also played well. Wolff appears to have the strongest and most accurate passing arm but doesn't have the mobility of the other quarterbacks.

RE: Bowl bound? - Chillie Willie - 08-02-2021 01:31 PM

(08-02-2021 09:07 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(08-02-2021 07:58 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Harry:
Quote:Hayden Wolff, the redshirt freshman from Venice, Florida, also played well. Wolff appears to have the strongest and most accurate passing arm but doesn't have the mobility of the other quarterbacks.

I was hoping that we would improve the o line so that mobility is not as much of a factor. We shall see. Mobility is still a plus but any QB will struggle with no time to throw.

RE: Bowl bound? - Justanodufan - 08-03-2021 09:06 AM

I think 4 wins is realistic, but wouldn’t be surprised to see 5 or 6 if the team gels early in the season and the QB play is solid.

RE: Bowl bound? - monarx - 08-03-2021 01:24 PM

FWIW, CBS sports has us ranked pre-season #129 out of 130 teams (UMass being the worst and Bowling Green third worst). My how the mighty have fallen. I dont expect us to be good, but I dont expect us to be that bad either. If we finish last (or even next to last) in CUSA I'll be pretty disappointed.

RE: Bowl bound? - Gilesfan - 08-03-2021 01:49 PM

The fact of the matter is that none of us know. There has been too much change and a complete year off. A completely new coaching staff.

Players can get a lot better in 1 offseason. We've had many players have 2 offseasons since we have seen them plus 2 recruiting classes that we have never seen on the field.

On paper, we should be much better than 129 but its really difficult to tell.

Mack has played well in a relativley small sample and has played in some big games. I would imagine he would have the lead and is a step up over what we saw 2 years ago. And if someone earns the shot over him, I have confidence that its a decent QB. Time will tell. These QBs have had 2 years to improve.

RE: Bowl bound? - Gilesfan - 08-03-2021 02:25 PM

I noticed a new article. Im leery about transfers that are dropping a level as it seems like they can be hit or miss.

But, we have 5 more joining.....Im not sure all 5 have been previously mentioned:

ALi Jennings- West VA
Gerrik Vollmer- UVA
Zack Kuntz- Penn State
Roger Cray- Western Kentucky
Devin Brandt-Epps- North Oklahoma A&M

That is in additional to the 5 that previously joined:
Trey Blount
Deeve Harris
Tyran Hunt
DJ Mack
Robert Kennedy

Cray was a 3 years starter at cornerback for WKY. I think him and Jennings make the biggest impact of the newer 5 guys.