CSNbbs
Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma (/thread-925333.html)

Pages: 1 2

Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - Basketball Jones - 07-19-2021 02:01 PM

With the summer recruiting season in high gear for Men’s Basketball, you got to wonder how TK and Staff are going to handle the 2022 Recruiting Class as they do not have any scholarships available as of today. While transferring in as Juniors before last season with 2 years eligibility, both Sedric Milner Jr and JT Shumate will have another season of available to them if they choose to come back next season since the 2020-21 pandemic season will not count against them. With that said, do you think it will be difficult for the Rockets to sign anybody during the fall early signing period even though TK’s tenure at Toledo is filled with players transferring out after each season? An interesting dilemma to say the least!

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - bcunn3128 - 07-19-2021 02:41 PM

I think that given the overall lack of size in the paint & Edu’s questionable effectiveness going forward, can we afford to not somehow find a way to recruit another traditional “big”? It is a pickle.

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - PTLROCK - 07-19-2021 04:00 PM

Attrition is always present with some guys contributing less than expected. Guys gotta work out. If that don’t happen, you got your guys. UT may need to find an Ivy League type at center with an academic scholarship. Is that possible?

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - BearcatMan - 07-19-2021 04:03 PM

I guess I didn't realize HOW bad it was...we only have three intact ACLs on people taller than 6'7"?! I mean, there has to be a way to get another body in there, whether it be a transfer out or a graduation from one of the Covid carry overs after this season. That's incredibly unsustainable.

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - DetroitRocket - 07-19-2021 04:15 PM

(07-19-2021 04:03 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  I guess I didn't realize HOW bad it was...we only have three intact ACLs on people taller than 6'7"?! I mean, there has to be a way to get another body in there, whether it be a transfer out or a graduation from one of the Covid carry overs after this season. That's incredibly unsustainable.

Three? I count one.

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - pono - 07-19-2021 04:37 PM

1 center/big Carcoana

2 forwards jacobi and shumate

milner is a swingman

for what it is worth we are offering lots of ʻ22 HS kids of all sizes and positions. i imagine the staff tries to get 1 or 2 to commit early and then letʻs the season play out, then, tells the last couple guys on the depth chart that there is little chance of playing time for them and they hit the portal and we bring in a couple new guys. thereʻs a couple of great guard prospects weʻve offered from the general area, of course, thatʻs just more guards. Our staff has been pretty minimal hitting the portal over the past 2 crazy seasons (Shumate last year and Dennis this season). Maybe, 1 HS guard and 1 transfer big?

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - DetroitRocket - 07-19-2021 05:57 PM

(07-19-2021 04:37 PM)pono Wrote:  1 center/big Carcoana

milner is a swingman

for what it is worth we are offering lots of ʻ22 HS kids of all sizes and positions. i imagine the staff tries to get 1 or 2 to commit early and then letʻs the season play out, then, tells the last couple guys on the depth chart that there is little chance of playing time for them and they hit the portal and we bring in a couple new guys. thereʻs a couple of great guard prospects weʻve offered from the general area, of course, thatʻs just more guards. Our staff has been pretty minimal hitting the portal over the past 2 crazy seasons (Shumate last year and Dennis this season). Maybe, 1 HS guard and 1 transfer big?

The post said "taller than 6-7". Milner and Jacobi are listed at 6-6. Shumate and Eythorrson listed as 6-7.

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - rocket 51 - 07-19-2021 08:13 PM

We seem to be in a very bad way for front line roster depth. I sense that coaching will be more important than ever and that is NOT one of TKs strengths IMHO. Not nearly as optimistic going in as previous season’s. Hope I’m surprised!

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - Boca Rocket - 07-20-2021 01:19 AM

MAC Coach of the Year 2021.

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - pono - 07-20-2021 02:50 AM

(07-19-2021 08:13 PM)rocket 51 Wrote:  We seem to be in a very bad way for front line roster depth. I sense that coaching will be more important than ever and that is NOT one of TKs strengths IMHO. Not nearly as optimistic going in as previous season’s. Hope I’m surprised!

The staff got a MAC title after restructuring the game plan on both ends in a few weeks after AJ went down last year. As I posted before, this year with AJʻs unfortunate new injury at least they have summer and fall to put in a system for the healthy personnel.

I expect the MAC to be strong. Not sure thereʻs a great team but thereʻs a should be a few good ones and most of the weaker teams look improved. The MAC gained more talent than they lost in the portal. Not ready to make predictions but overall the programʻs talent level is good.

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - BearcatMan - 07-20-2021 08:11 AM

(07-19-2021 05:57 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(07-19-2021 04:37 PM)pono Wrote:  1 center/big Carcoana

milner is a swingman

The post said "taller than 6-7". Milner and Jacobi are listed at 6-6. Shumate and Eythorrson listed as 6-7.

Three intact ACLs = Carcoana's 2 and AJ Edu's 1

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - RocketBBallFan - 07-20-2021 12:38 PM

(07-20-2021 02:50 AM)pono Wrote:  
(07-19-2021 08:13 PM)rocket 51 Wrote:  We seem to be in a very bad way for front line roster depth. I sense that coaching will be more important than ever and that is NOT one of TKs strengths IMHO. Not nearly as optimistic going in as previous season’s. Hope I’m surprised!

The staff got a MAC title after restructuring the game plan on both ends in a few weeks after AJ went down last year. As I posted before, this year with AJʻs unfortunate new injury at least they have summer and fall to put in a system for the healthy personnel.

I expect the MAC to be strong. Not sure thereʻs a great team but thereʻs a should be a few good ones and most of the weaker teams look improved. The MAC gained more talent than they lost in the portal. Not ready to make predictions but overall the programʻs talent level is good.

Yes, TK demonstrated great coaching this past season changing the way they played on the fly after Edu's injury, resulting in the best record in the league.

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - IamN2daRockets! - 07-20-2021 01:11 PM

I do agree that TK did a great job changing to a sort of position-less motion offense on the fly last year. He did a damn good job.

I just wonder sometimes about the bench coaching skills of both TK and JC. Sometimes i'm left just scratching my head.

I like TK. He has returned our program to something well more than respectability. We need that damn NCAA bid. It's just so damn tough for the mid majors.

EDU will be back.

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - Rocket75 - 07-20-2021 03:00 PM

Doesn't "great" coaching also involve a lot of luck? If Shumate had stayed ineligible all season, UT would not have been MAC regular season champs. The original plan was to redshirt him. When the rules changed, Coach K took advantage of the situation to get the front court play that was needed.

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - IamN2daRockets! - 07-20-2021 04:29 PM

(07-20-2021 03:00 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Doesn't "great" coaching also involve a lot of luck? If Shumate had stayed ineligible all season, UT would not have been MAC regular season champs. The original plan was to redshirt him. When the rules changed, Coach K took advantage of the situation to get the front court play that was needed.

Good point for sure! Thought provoking. Luck matters both good and bad.

GovRockets!

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - Boca Rocket - 07-20-2021 05:42 PM

(07-20-2021 04:29 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  
(07-20-2021 03:00 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Doesn't "great" coaching also involve a lot of luck? If Shumate had stayed ineligible all season, UT would not have been MAC regular season champs. The original plan was to redshirt him. When the rules changed, Coach K took advantage of the situation to get the front court play that was needed.

GovRockets!

Like Ohio missing 9 or 10 MAC games.

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - IamN2daRockets! - 07-20-2021 07:46 PM

(07-20-2021 05:42 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(07-20-2021 04:29 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  

GovRockets!

Like Ohio missing 9 or 10 MAC games.

The good insights just keep coming. Last year was crazy and nuance ridden every which way.

Go Rockets!

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - rocketpaul - 07-20-2021 08:03 PM

I agree with Pono's assessment don't give a crap how tall the guys are I care about being able to rebound. Craig Sutters led the MAC in rebounding one year and he was 6'4" of course he could jump out of the gym. Jacobi will be a great rebounder and I think so will moss Ryan Rollins got his share of rebounds too.

RE: Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - pono - 07-20-2021 10:36 PM

in the MAC itʻs possible to rebound well playing lots of mid sized guys. gets tougher when you play big10 type teams. sometimes you can compensate through positioning and help, but sometimes you are just overmatched, like when we played Michigan. in todayʻs game few teams are willing to pocket their perimeter game and just pound the post and boards when they have an inside advantage. thatʻs what Richmond did last year in the 2nd half of the NIT game and it worked for them (their msg board is full of posters who say their HC canʻt make mid game adjustments too). of course, that wouldnʻt have worked as well if the rockets had been making shots and setting up their d and getting re-energized. I think a good team with inside guys could hurt us next season, but who fits that profile? Ohio?, maybe depending on how they play, Buffalo? mballa is always a challenge regardless of who you got. Michigan St. Richmond? Which is a way of saying that there will be a few games where we piss and moan about lack of inside size but most of the time our skill and versatility playing small ball will be enough to win.

Men’s Basketball Recruiting Dilemma - adunifon - 07-21-2021 08:29 AM

If OU didn’t get a month off due to covid and come into the tournament with fresh legs and just enough time to mesh would they have rolled through all 3 opponents? You can play that what if game all day long.