CSNbbs
Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? (/thread-925206.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Dukester - 07-16-2021 09:53 AM

Mrs Dukester and I have talk about it for 20+ years.

Still very attractive thought.

Although having kids, if we have the option to be/stay close to them that would be our #1 choice. If they leave northern Va, and spread out around the country Harrisonburg still might work.

Another place I've considered is Myrtle Beach. Much cheaper, near the water, and very commercial - which I like.

I know there are a lot of fellow 80's Dukes pondering the same thing. Heck, my retiring in the Burg thought crossed my mind in my 20's.

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Purplehazed - 07-16-2021 10:41 AM

I own a house in HBG so I have thought about ending my job related travels where I started, HBG. Still have a long while to figure it out.

Most amenities have greatly improved since the 90s. I hear Sentra can't keep doctors but Augusta Health and UVa are not far...

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - TXGiant - 07-16-2021 11:01 AM

Definitely considering having a place there- probably not full time.

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - ParentofJMUMRDs - 07-16-2021 11:15 AM

Wife and I have tossed the idea back and forth. We are both 66 so decision time is getting closer!!

Brian

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Purplehazed - 07-16-2021 11:32 AM

Houses in HBG are not cheap. If you sell in Nova or other cosmo city the price tag may look good in HBG but if you are coming from a lowish cost of living area, HBG may not be as low priced as it was when you roamed the quad looking for love on sunny days

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Dukester - 07-16-2021 12:40 PM

(07-16-2021 11:32 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Houses in HBG are not cheap. If you sell in Nova or other cosmo city the price tag may look good in HBG but if you are coming from a lowish cost of living area, HBG may not be as low priced as it was when you roamed the quad looking for love on sunny days

That has been the case for a long time. I've been surprised the houses are as much as they are in the Burg. When I've occasionally compared pricing to NOVA through the years it's been pretty similar. Who knows how they compare in the runaway housing market of the last six months?

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - orange-to-purple - 07-17-2021 09:10 AM

I already am LOL. I was living and working in Richmond although had lived in Tennessee for 35 years and was being courted by spousal unit. He convinced me that he was The One and I moved to the area where he already was in 2010. Couldn't find a job though; seems ageism is pervasive in nursing hereabouts as it was not in Richmond, and I really didn't want to return to travel nursing since I'd settled down with him. When a medical problem hit me (don't ask!) I took it as a sign that retirement was my lot. I love the area. It has a vibrant arts community and an excellent local foods movement, and for a small city it's very diverse. I was surprised that the city itself has bus transportation; I didn't expect that from a city this size. I had almost convinced a Baltimore friend to move here but she finally elected to stay where she was, even though she has friends in the 'burg. I have always lived in or near college towns except for a few times while I was travel nursing and I definitely prefer them.

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Longhorn - 07-17-2021 11:07 AM

(07-17-2021 09:10 AM)orange-to-purple Wrote:   I was surprised that the city itself has bus transportation; I didn't expect that from a city this size.

Yes, Harrisonburg’s city transit system is outstanding and large for the size of the community. You can thank JMU for this (and student fees) as money from JMU basically underwrites and pays for the whole city bus system.

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Deez Nuts - 07-17-2021 01:59 PM

Real Estate in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County is absurd right now

Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - JMUDunk - 07-17-2021 02:10 PM

(07-16-2021 11:32 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Houses in HBG are not cheap. If you sell in Nova or other cosmo city the price tag may look good in HBG but if you are coming from a lowish cost of living area, HBG may not be as low priced as it was when you roamed the quad looking for love on sunny days

Former gf and I goofed around looking at places when we were thinking of something more permanent. Late 80’s I guess.

It wasn’t “cheap” even then, even in the County areas.

It occurred to me later that the Profs homes we were invited to for an evening where all 20-30 minutes or miles away. Makes sense now

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - madizoned-level2004 - 07-17-2021 06:25 PM

Is it blasphemous for an alumnus to say they were never really a fan of Harrisonburg, i.e., loved JMU, but never really liked the town?

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Purple - 07-17-2021 11:08 PM

(07-17-2021 06:25 PM)madizoned-level2004 Wrote:  Is it blasphemous for an alumnus to say they were never really a fan of Harrisonburg, i.e., loved JMU, but never really liked the town?

Why would it be? I'm sure there are plenty of UVA alums who love the university but don't care for Charlottesville. Likewise, William and Mary and Williamsburg. Likewise, every university in the country.

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Pikapppatri8 - 07-18-2021 08:11 AM

When we drove our youngest son down for his orientation - the wife was looking for some acreage outside of Harrisonburg area - we want about 10 acres to have a house and some land to grow stuff.

Pleasant drive out there from our home in Aldie/Middleburg.

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - orange-to-purple - 07-18-2021 04:29 PM

(07-17-2021 01:59 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Real Estate in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County is absurd right now

Real estate EVERYWHERE is absurd. Check it out.

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Hart Foundation - 07-18-2021 07:26 PM

Not a fan of living in Hburg, but would love to be in the rural areas closer to the mountains for retirement. We have been discussing this lately as the right time is approaching in a few years and I think we will be non-committal snowbird types. Florida beach home for 7 months in the Winter and a Mountain home for 5 months in the Summer.

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - bobbyjmu - 07-19-2021 07:55 AM

Check out the Edinburg/Fort Valley area. Brother in law (also JMU grad) has a place there, literally on the side of a mountain. Beautiful picture post card setting, and peaceful. About 30-40 minutes from Harrisonburg, lower cost of living.

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - AssyrianDuke - 07-19-2021 08:06 AM

I've thought about moving down to the HBG area and just working from home there. It's cheaper than Northern Virginia, it's a beautiful place, and I could make more JMU athletic events!

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - JMU2004 - 07-19-2021 08:23 AM

I've thought about the Valley in general, not just HBurg. I love the area from Lexington all the way up to Winchester.

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Purplehazed - 07-19-2021 12:13 PM

(07-19-2021 08:06 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  I've thought about moving down to the HBG area and just working from home there. It's cheaper than Northern Virginia, it's a beautiful place, and I could make more JMU athletic events!

This is what I want. Live in shen valley but work in a city bearish by; Charlotte, dc, or Raleigh. I,be been doing this but have carried an appt in the city...want to dump the apt. and wfh with travel when necessary

RE: Have you considered retiring in the Harrisonburg area? - Harrisonburger - 07-20-2021 08:12 AM

Been living in H'burg for over 35 years. The further you are from graduation, the more the community may not be like you remember it. It has become a regional outlier in terms of diversity. I hear a lot of good things about the art scene (not really my thing). I can verify the food scene. More funky ethnic places than you would think for a place this size. In general it punches way above it's weight for those types of things, but obviously it ain't NY, DC, or even Richmond. But if you're OK with small urban, you just might like it. Yep on housing. In addition to what's going on generally, it's exacerbated locally by demand simply outstripping supply. And this is true across the board in the housing stock, even though most of the attention gets focused on pressures at the lower end. The location also offers that option of getting the place on the ridge in the County if you don't want to live in town, although there can be issues there as well with price if you want to fulfill the fantasy 100 percent. A sort of negative that people don't talk about as much is due to most of the City's growth being in the second half of the 20th century. We lack the inventory of cool old buildings to play with compared to Staunton and Winchester, even though we're bigger than they are. H'burg's population is a little more than C'vill's, and their metropolitan area is a little bigger. So, in terms of size very apples to apples right now, although there are of course plenty of differences.