CSNbbs
Prices Rise Sharply - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Prices Rise Sharply (/thread-923452.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - stinkfist - 06-11-2021 07:08 AM

(06-10-2021 10:56 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Time to quit relying on importing everything, and paying people not to work.

It.Is.That.Simple

“The best design is the simplest one that WORKS” - Albert Einstein

Prices Rise Sharply - JMUDunk - 06-11-2021 01:23 PM

(06-10-2021 10:56 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Time to quit relying on importing everything, and paying people not to work.

Yea, we were working on that, then…

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - green - 06-15-2021 07:40 AM

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1404779713013366786

GONNA FLY NOW FLYING HIGH NOW

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - Todor - 06-15-2021 07:46 AM

Its a problem in a capitalist economy--if companies can make more money importing things, they will. Why invest in a factory in the US when you can use the money to speculate on something else and keep succeeding. What's the incentive. Money isn't very patriotic.

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - No2rdame - 06-15-2021 09:14 AM

(06-10-2021 03:52 PM)banker Wrote:  It’s amazing the number of things you simply can’t buy. I had to go to three places in search of pool chemicals, for example. I don’t believe so many things are in short supply simply because demand is up due to COVID winding down. Something else is going on, just haven’t figured out what. The 9.3 million unfilled jobs doesn’t help and has to be a chunk of it.

And that's just what you're seeing about in the news. What you're not hearing about is how there is a shortage of medical and other supplies used for hospitals, etc. I saw someone pointing out that a major hospital has quit handing out pillows because they are running out of them. Syringes and needles are becoming scarce.

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - No2rdame - 06-15-2021 09:17 AM

(06-15-2021 07:46 AM)Todor Wrote:  Its a problem in a capitalist economy--if companies can make more money importing things, they will. Why invest in a factory in the US when you can use the money to speculate on something else and keep succeeding. What's the incentive. Money isn't very patriotic.

One incentive is making it more appealing to invest in the factory domestically. Vowing to raise corporate taxes and hoping the rest of the world makes their markets equally non-competitive by doing the same isn't going to help the matter. Then again, neither is traveling south of the border and promising to invest in THEIR factories hoping to keep their citizens from becoming illegal aliens here.

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-15-2021 09:34 AM

(06-15-2021 09:17 AM)No2rdame Wrote:  
(06-15-2021 07:46 AM)Todor Wrote:  Its a problem in a capitalist economy--if companies can make more money importing things, they will. Why invest in a factory in the US when you can use the money to speculate on something else and keep succeeding. What's the incentive. Money isn't very patriotic.
One incentive is making it more appealing to invest in the factory domestically. Vowing to raise corporate taxes and hoping the rest of the world makes their markets equally non-competitive by doing the same isn't going to help the matter. Then again, neither is traveling south of the border and promising to invest in THEIR factories hoping to keep their citizens from becoming illegal aliens here.

Democrats have an amazing lack of understanding of how businesses--large or small--think.

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - TigerBlue4Ever - 06-15-2021 10:48 AM

Another 3 years of this and we will resemble 90's Russia more than America at any time in our history. To think that at one time during the 90's we hosted a group of Russian exchange students who we brought to Krogers to go grocery shopping who were so overwhelmed by the abundance of goods on the shelves they were literally in tears. They had heard stories but didn't believe it until they saw it for themselves.

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - Redwingtom - 06-15-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:(Bloomberg) -- Lumber futures posted their biggest-ever weekly loss, extending a tumble from all-time highs reached last month as sawmills ramp up output and buyers hold off on purchases.

Prices in Chicago fell 18% this week, the biggest decline for most-active futures in records going back to 1986. Lumber has has now dropped almost 40% from the record high reached on May 10.

Sawmills appear to be catching up with the rampant homebuilding demand in North America that fueled a months-long rally, bringing some relief to a market beset by supply shortages and price surges
Lumber Prices Post Biggest–Ever Weekly Drop With Buyers Balking

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - TigerBlue4Ever - 06-15-2021 10:56 AM

(06-15-2021 10:53 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
Quote:(Bloomberg) -- Lumber futures posted their biggest-ever weekly loss, extending a tumble from all-time highs reached last month as sawmills ramp up output and buyers hold off on purchases.

Prices in Chicago fell 18% this week, the biggest decline for most-active futures in records going back to 1986. Lumber has has now dropped almost 40% from the record high reached on May 10.

Sawmills appear to be catching up with the rampant homebuilding demand in North America that fueled a months-long rally, bringing some relief to a market beset by supply shortages and price surges

A "biggest ever" drop isn't such great news when they are dropping from record highs brought on from your buddies in China infecting the world with a biological weapon.

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - Was SoMs Eagle - 06-15-2021 10:57 AM

(06-15-2021 07:46 AM)Todor Wrote:  Money isn't very patriotic.

Labron, the NBA and Hunter would agree….

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - UofMstateU - 06-15-2021 10:59 AM

(06-15-2021 09:14 AM)No2rdame Wrote:  
(06-10-2021 03:52 PM)banker Wrote:  It’s amazing the number of things you simply can’t buy. I had to go to three places in search of pool chemicals, for example. I don’t believe so many things are in short supply simply because demand is up due to COVID winding down. Something else is going on, just haven’t figured out what. The 9.3 million unfilled jobs doesn’t help and has to be a chunk of it.

And that's just what you're seeing about in the news. What you're not hearing about is how there is a shortage of medical and other supplies used for hospitals, etc. I saw someone pointing out that a major hospital has quit handing out pillows because they are running out of them. Syringes and needles are becoming scarce.

No problem, Trump will be able to fix that logistics problem just like he did the PPE and ventilator issue the democrats left him with.

oh......thats too bad....we're stuck with sippy cup Joe now. I'm sure fake Dr Jill will get right on it. Or kackling Kamala.

elections will have consequences.

I'm sure Joe will start ordering MyPillow to manufacture syringes.

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - Redwingtom - 06-15-2021 11:00 AM

(06-15-2021 10:56 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

A "biggest ever" drop isn't such great news when they are dropping from record highs brought on from your buddies in China infecting the world with a biological weapon.

Quote:“China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”

"I just spoke to President Xi last night, and, you know, we're working on the — the problem, the virus. It's a — it's a very tough situation. But I think he's going to handle it. I think he's handled it really well. We're helping wherever we can.

“Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus. He feels they are doing very well, even building hospitals in a matter of only days … Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/15/trump-china-coronavirus-188736

BUDDY BUDDY

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - Redwingtom - 06-15-2021 11:07 AM

(06-15-2021 10:59 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

No problem, Trump will be able to fix that logistics problem just like he did the PPE and ventilator issue the democrats left him with.

oh......thats too bad....we're stuck with sippy cup Joe now. I'm sure fake Dr Jill will get right on it. Or kackling Kamala.

Oh...you mean the ventilator issue that wasn't?

Quote:Contrary to President Donald Trump’s repeated claims that he inherited a Strategic National Stockpile with “empty” or “bare” cupboards, the federal government had more ventilators in stock than it ended up distributing amid the COVID-19 pandemic, FactCheck.org has learned.

The SNS had 16,660 ventilators “immediately available for use” when the federal government began deploying the breathing machines to states to treat critically ill COVID-19 patients in March, according to a Department of Health and Human Services spokesperson.

None of those ventilators was bought by the Trump administration, the spokesperson told us.

In a separate email to us on June 17, another HHS spokesperson said the federal government has distributed 10,640 ventilators during the pandemic.

Both HHS representatives said we could attribute their responses to an “HHS spokesperson.”

That affirms what we previously wrote in early May: that there were “likely thousands” of ventilators in the federal stockpile of emergency medicines and equipment that Trump inherited from his predecessor.
Trump Inherited More Ventilators Than Have Been Distributed

And yes, 16,660 is more than 10,640.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b761166410a07661888d14a...p;amp;ct=g]

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - Old Blue - 06-15-2021 11:10 AM

A very simple economic truism goes like this: The more you have of something, the less it is worth. We've pumped in almost 5 trillion printed dollars into the economic pipeline since the start of the pandemic. And people wonder why we are experiencing inflation? Same is true for college degrees: The more people that have them, the less yours are worth.

Sent from my LG-H932 using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - JMUDunk - 06-15-2021 03:57 PM

(06-15-2021 10:56 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

Yup.

And near zero interest rates, record low mortgage rates etc. We had a neighbors house go for more than 10grand over asking price and it sold in 4 days. Insane.

Lumber prices have/had gone up by more than 300%, my next door neighbor is holding off on a couple projects himself right now as costs have gotten ridiculous.

That materials have now dropped by 43% or whatever it is, is a drop in the bucket. Guess you can get 10 more board feet for the same price as before. Big deal.

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - JMUDunk - 06-15-2021 04:10 PM

(06-15-2021 11:07 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(06-15-2021 10:59 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

Oh...you mean the ventilator issue that wasn't?

Quote:Contrary to President Donald Trump’s repeated claims that he inherited a Strategic National Stockpile with “empty” or “bare” cupboards, the federal government had more ventilators in stock than it ended up distributing amid the COVID-19 pandemic, FactCheck.org has learned.

The SNS had 16,660 ventilators “immediately available for use” when the federal government began deploying the breathing machines to states to treat critically ill COVID-19 patients in March, according to a Department of Health and Human Services spokesperson.

None of those ventilators was bought by the Trump administration, the spokesperson told us.

In a separate email to us on June 17, another HHS spokesperson said the federal government has distributed 10,640 ventilators during the pandemic.

Both HHS representatives said we could attribute their responses to an “HHS spokesperson.”

That affirms what we previously wrote in early May: that there were “likely thousands” of ventilators in the federal stockpile of emergency medicines and equipment that Trump inherited from his predecessor.
Trump Inherited More Ventilators Than Have Been Distributed

And yes, 16,660 is more than 10,640.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b761166410a07661888d14a...p;amp;ct=g]

Yet, the murderer of Manhattan was demanding 40-60,000 for NYC aand NY alone.

Do you honestly think we've all simply forgotten how this whole thing went down, unfolded?

This kind of revisionista sh!t may work on the brain dead zombies gobbling on the Cumo, Tooobin channel VFNN, but not on normal people.

So, it turned out there were far better treatment regimens to keep people OFF ventilators, so what? That's good.

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - CardinalJim - 06-15-2021 04:25 PM

A piece from FactCheck.org about Covid. The same FactCheck.org that told us the Chinese had nothing to do with Covid. The same FactCheck.org whose CEO donated $25,000 to the DNC in 2007.

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - 200yrs2late - 06-15-2021 07:56 PM

I'm worried what is being missed is inflation causing people to think twice about that new house or keeping people ready to switch from renting to owning from pulling the trigger. By this time next year interest rates will have to climb into the 5-6% mark for most buyers, putting ownership out of reach for many.

$50k worth of dimensional lumber framed about 10 1800 Sq ft houses last year this time. It frames 2 1/2 now. Panels are still through the roof and won't be coming down anytime soon due to the resin component. Tubs, shower pans, wire, shingles, and concrete are all rising. Trades are desperately short on labor and construction times are increasing as a result.

I'm stoked lumber prices are falling, maybe I can quit writing $300k checks to the lumber yard every month. I'm not holding my breath on seeing prices return to a reasonable level, even $500-600 per thousand, anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

RE: Prices Rise Sharply - Redwingtom - 06-16-2021 06:51 AM

(06-15-2021 07:56 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  

I'm worried what is being missed is inflation causing people to think twice about that new house or keeping people ready to switch from renting to owning from pulling the trigger. By this time next year interest rates will have to climb into the 5-6% mark for most buyers, putting ownership out of reach for many.

$50k worth of dimensional lumber framed about 10 1800 Sq ft houses last year this time. It frames 2 1/2 now. Panels are still through the roof and won't be coming down anytime soon due to the resin component. Tubs, shower pans, wire, shingles, and concrete are all rising. Trades are desperately short on labor and construction times are increasing as a result.

I'm stoked lumber prices are falling, maybe I can quit writing $300k checks to the lumber yard every month. I'm not holding my breath on seeing prices return to a reasonable level, even $500-600 per thousand, anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

We need to wait to see what the fed does. I believe that is supposed to happen shortly...maybe even today.

They've not really done anything yet as economists are still trying to determine what is just covid recovery effects (read short term anomalies) and what is not.

RWT say relax.