CSNbbs
Dixie State No More - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Dixie State No More (/thread-923383.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Dixie State No More - CarlSmithCenter - 06-09-2021 08:17 AM

[Image: 5cnd84.jpg]

'Dixie' is officially dumped in vote over university name change

https://twitter.com/BenWinslow/status/1402032723972149248?s=20

RE: Dixie State No More - IWokeUpLikeThis - 06-09-2021 08:22 AM

Bought a handful of Dixie St shirts last year. Ahead of the game.

RE: Dixie State No More - Bronco'14 - 06-09-2021 09:21 AM

I hate all the wokeness, but Utah Tech is much better branding.

RE: Dixie State No More - Yosef Himself - 06-09-2021 09:26 AM

Deseret State University. They can even keep their DSU branding and get more attention from the LDS folks in that section of the country.

RE: Dixie State No More - HawaiiMongoose - 06-09-2021 09:59 AM

Utah Tech would be a huge improvement in branding. The campus recently added a state-of-the-art student recreation center and has new dorms and a new science and engineering building under construction. St. George has great weather and offers many outdoor recreation opportunities. Put it all together and enrollment has the potential to skyrocket.

RE: Dixie State No More - HawaiiMongoose - 06-09-2021 10:03 AM

(06-09-2021 09:26 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Deseret State University. They can even keep their DSU branding and get more attention from the LDS folks in that section of the country.

That option is already off the table.

The committee also decided to reject names like "Deseret" or "Red Rock" from consideration, as well as any names using St. George (to avoid confusion as a religious school), instead focusing on academic and Utah-centric themes. Future names now under consideration could be things like Utah Technological University, Utah University of Technology & Arts, Utah University of Technology & Humanities, Utah Polytechnic University, Utah Institute of Technology and Utah University of Technology.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/dixie-is-officially-dumped-in-vote-over-university-name-change

RE: Dixie State No More - TDenverFan - 06-09-2021 10:08 AM

Yeah, I think the Dixie name hurts DSU at the moment, the perception of it to an average employer who knows very little about the school probably isn't great.

RE: Dixie State No More - Yosef Himself - 06-09-2021 10:24 AM

Utah Poly

*snicker*

RE: Dixie State No More - Cyniclone - 06-09-2021 10:32 AM

(06-09-2021 10:24 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Utah Poly

*snicker*

I don’t care what clt says about you, you’re alright

RE: Dixie State No More - ken d - 06-09-2021 10:48 AM

(06-09-2021 09:21 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  I hate all the wokeness, but Utah Tech is much better branding.

What "wokeness" are you referring to?

RE: Dixie State No More - BePcr07 - 06-09-2021 10:48 AM

I like Utah Tech. This reminds me of the Internet rumors of Bowling Green St becoming Ohio A&M and Akron becoming Ohio Tech. I think those were the rumors I heard...

RE: Dixie State No More - Yosef Himself - 06-09-2021 11:18 AM

(06-09-2021 10:32 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(06-09-2021 10:24 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Utah Poly

*snicker*

I don’t care what clt says about you, you’re alright

It was low hanging fruit, but when in Eden.

RE: Dixie State No More - MattBrownEP - 06-09-2021 12:47 PM

I talked to their AD and one of their coaches about this, and on the athletic side, the concerns have very little to do with anything "woke"...it's simply that the school has grown to the point where they want to have influence beyond a 150 mile radius, and nobody of the state associates Dixie with the St.George area. If you're recruiting a kid in Texas, you don't want them to think your school is in Alabama when you call them.

Utah Tech would be fine.

RE: Dixie State No More - johnbragg - 06-09-2021 12:55 PM

(06-09-2021 12:47 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  I talked to their AD and one of their coaches about this, and on the athletic side, the concerns have very little to do with anything "woke"...it's simply that the school has grown to the point where they want to have influence beyond a 150 mile radius, and nobody of the state associates Dixie with the St.George area. If you're recruiting a kid in Texas, you don't want them to think your school is in Alabama when you call them.

Utah Tech would be fine.

I feel like Jacksonville (AL) State has a similar problem.

RE: Dixie State No More - Lopes87 - 06-09-2021 01:00 PM

(06-09-2021 12:47 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  I talked to their AD and one of their coaches about this, and on the athletic side, the concerns have very little to do with anything "woke"...it's simply that the school has grown to the point where they want to have influence beyond a 150 mile radius, and nobody of the state associates Dixie with the St.George area. If you're recruiting a kid in Texas, you don't want them to think your school is in Alabama when you call them.

Utah Tech would be fine.

Wokeness no but we all know that in todays climate it's being used against them in recruiting. Also the connotations that latch on to the term Dixie. Not to mention this school has in the past ran with the confederate flag as part of the school and athletics. So their name change is more than just gaining additional in state and regional influence. The AD and the coach you talked to is putting some spin on it. Regardless of true reason I think it's a great move, but why didn't this do this before they joined D1/WAC?

RE: Dixie State No More - VA49er - 06-09-2021 01:05 PM

Why did a school in Utah have Dixie in its name to begin with?

RE: Dixie State No More - dbackjon - 06-09-2021 01:09 PM

(06-09-2021 01:05 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Why did a school in Utah have Dixie in its name to begin with?

Because it was the Southern part of Utah, it was were the LDS cotton and Tobacco farms were, and many of the early settlers were from the South.

RE: Dixie State No More - johnbragg - 06-09-2021 01:12 PM

(06-09-2021 01:00 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  

Utah Tech would be fine.

Wokeness no but we all know that in todays climate it's being used against them in recruiting. Also the connotations that latch on to the term Dixie. Not to mention this school has in the past ran with the confederate flag as part of the school and athletics. So their name change is more than just gaining additional in state and regional influence. The AD and the coach you talked to is putting some spin on it. Regardless of true reason I think it's a great move, but why didn't this do this before they joined D1/WAC?

I suspect that a big faction has wanted to upgrade from "Dixie State" fir a while, just like Texas State isn't Southwest Texas State anymore, Northeastern and Southwestern Louisiana are now ULL and ULM, etc. I think Towson University used to be Towson State,
Dixie is just a wierd brand for the remote corner of Utah.

Now, wokeness plus Division I visibility mean they get their wish. Utah Tach >> Dixie State, woke or not.

(I do NOT care if I have the directions wrong)

RE: Dixie State No More - Erictelevision - 06-09-2021 01:23 PM

(06-09-2021 01:05 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Why did a school in Utah have Dixie in its name to begin with?

This is what I came to wonder! BTW: I'm good with the "wokeness".

RE: Dixie State No More - Attackcoog - 06-09-2021 01:33 PM

I think Utah tech is a much more prestigious sounding name.