CSNbbs
2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament (/thread-922987.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bill dazzle - 06-27-2021 09:09 AM

(06-26-2021 10:47 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-26-2021 10:05 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Let's all be very clear ...

Neither MissState nor Vanderbilt will be a "fully sufficient" champion.

And if the Commodores win it all ... I will still maintain this point.

Whoever wins will be champ and will have the trophy, rings, or whatever paraphernalia to prove it. The records will footnote an extremely worthy N.C. State Team, but I can assure you whoever wins it will have no difficulties claiming the title and hanging a banner or painting it on an outfield wall. Sometimes you have to get real Bill.

I agree strongly, JRsec, that most folks will view either MSU or VU as national champion. I'm simply saying I will see either as "not fully" champion. I will give MissState a more "fully champion" view given it didn't get a "partially free pass" like Vandy did.

If Vanderbilt wins, I will be very excited and (as I did the previous two times) go to the campus to celebrate, buy a hat and/or T-shirt, get a commemorative sticker/pennant/photo etc. So maybe I'm being hypocritical. And perhaps I will change my mind on this.

But if Vandy wins, my gut feeling is that I will never consider the title as "whole."

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bill dazzle - 06-27-2021 09:11 AM

(06-26-2021 11:42 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Whoever wins will be champ and will have the trophy, rings, or whatever paraphernalia to prove it. The records will footnote an extremely worthy N.C. State Team, but I can assure you whoever wins it will have no difficulties claiming the title and hanging a banner or painting it on an outfield wall. Sometimes you have to get real Bill.

Yes, it might be different had NC State beaten Vanderbilt and advanced to the final before dropping out, but not now.

Whoever wins the finals series will be a fully-worthy CWS champion, no asterisks or whatever.

What about, in a crazy scenario, multiple MSU (or VU) players test virus positive and that club has to forfeit the series — thus yielding a "champion" that was not required to play any series finals games?

I would strongly struggle to consider that team fully worthy.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bill dazzle - 06-27-2021 09:14 AM

(06-27-2021 08:17 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Don’t be that guy. Don’t take away from the players.

Both Mississippi State and Vandy are outstanding teams. They both could win two games in a row against NC State without Covid

Don’t penalize or denigrate those two teams for the mistakes made by NC State

That's a fair point. It's not the fault of VU or MSU that they find themselves in this unusual position.

As a long-time Vanderbilt man, I will be happy for the program and the university if VU wins.

I just find the situation very unfortunately and am struggling a bit to determine how I will view the eventual champion.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bullet - 06-27-2021 09:34 AM

(06-27-2021 09:09 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

I agree strongly, JRsec, that most folks will view either MSU or VU as national champion. I'm simply saying I will see either as "not fully" champion. I will give MissState a more "fully champion" view given it didn't get a "partially free pass" like Vandy did.

If Vanderbilt wins, I will be very excited and (as I did the previous two times) go to the campus to celebrate, buy a hat and/or T-shirt, get a commemorative sticker/pennant/photo etc. So maybe I'm being hypocritical. And perhaps I will change my mind on this.

But if Vandy wins, my gut feeling is that I will never consider the title as "whole."

Then root for MSU.04-cheers

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bullet - 06-27-2021 09:38 AM

And understand that NCSU was on a hot streak. They weren't even a seeded team. They were ranked 16th in the final college baseball poll, but not that high in NCAA seedings. MSU is a 7 seed and Vandy is a 4 seed. Maybe you should consider them not fully worthy because Tennessee was a 3 seed and Arkansas a 1 seed from the same conference! Texas was the top seed to make the CWS at #2 as Arkansas lost in the super regionals.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - JRsec - 06-27-2021 10:11 AM

(06-27-2021 09:38 AM)bullet Wrote:  And understand that NCSU was on a hot streak. They weren't even a seeded team. They were ranked 16th in the final college baseball poll, but not that high in NCAA seedings. MSU is a 7 seed and Vandy is a 4 seed. Maybe you should consider them not fully worthy because Tennessee was a 3 seed and Arkansas a 1 seed from the same conference! Texas was the top seed to make the CWS at #2 as Arkansas lost in the super regionals.

All seedings in a year with little play outside of conference are BS. But Texas was beaten in the regular season by 4 SEC schools (Ole Miss, Miss St, A&M and Arkansas) and then defeated twice more by Miss St in the tourney. Perhaps the Horns were over seeded. Every baseball coach knows a streak is real and that having one at the right time is how you win championships. It's the nature of the game. This year's regionals were not balanced. I'd argue that Mississippi State had one of the toughest and Tennessee one of the weakest. Florida's streak came early in the season and they faded. Arkansas's game 1 blowout and a weak starting rotation past their #1 guy helped to do them in but mostly it was N.C. State's peaking at the right time.

A final between N.C. State and Mississippi State was shaping up to be epic. Both quietly had deep pens, both hit very well and both were peaking at the right time. Instead Vandy gets a do over in a way and that stinks.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - shere khan - 06-27-2021 10:12 AM

(06-26-2021 08:54 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Hail State!

All SEC final.

[Image: CluelessEssentialFruitbat-max-1mb.gif]

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - georgia_tech_swagger - 06-27-2021 10:13 AM

(06-27-2021 08:17 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  Penalize and denigrate those two teams for the mistakes made by the NCAA. But above all else, abolish the NCAA.

Accuracy++;

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - JRsec - 06-27-2021 10:35 AM

(06-27-2021 10:12 AM)shere khan Wrote:  
(06-26-2021 08:54 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Hail State!

All SEC final.

[Image: CluelessEssentialFruitbat-max-1mb.gif]

Wynn Everett, aptly named, and a beautiful Auburn woman, helps it all to just mean more!

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - CitrusUCF - 06-27-2021 10:54 AM

(06-26-2021 01:13 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Complete idiocy.

[Image: AA4-C3-CD9-1-F9-F-4-E34-9-E22-45-B4-CE7-D9949.jpg]

So as I suspected, this turned out not to be true. Just a homer account trying to spin the story to make NC State look better. The reality is that their unvaccinated players tested positive, so then they tested everyone, as per protocol.

Bottom-line: If what the Barstool account had alleged were true, then NC State would have filed a lawsuit and sought an injunction to stop the NCAA from violating the agreed upon protocols. But those allegations were false, so NC State has taken no action nor even publicly protested the action, because the NCAA followed the rules that were set up.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - quo vadis - 06-27-2021 11:54 AM

(06-27-2021 09:11 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Yes, it might be different had NC State beaten Vanderbilt and advanced to the final before dropping out, but not now.

Whoever wins the finals series will be a fully-worthy CWS champion, no asterisks or whatever.

What about, in a crazy scenario, multiple MSU (or VU) players test virus positive and that club has to forfeit the series — thus yielding a "champion" that was not required to play any series finals games?

Yes, if either Vandy or MSU have to forfeit the title because of the virus in the next couple of days, that will merit an "asterisk" for the winner.

But not IMO based on what happened with NC State. We're getting a championship series, as of now at least.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - quo vadis - 06-27-2021 11:57 AM

(06-27-2021 10:54 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(06-26-2021 01:13 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Complete idiocy.

[Image: AA4-C3-CD9-1-F9-F-4-E34-9-E22-45-B4-CE7-D9949.jpg]

So as I suspected, this turned out not to be true. Just a homer account trying to spin the story to make NC State look better. The reality is that their unvaccinated players tested positive, so then they tested everyone, as per protocol.

Bottom-line: If what the Barstool account had alleged were true, then NC State would have filed a lawsuit and sought an injunction to stop the NCAA from violating the agreed upon protocols. But those allegations were false, so NC State has taken no action nor even publicly protested the action, because the NCAA followed the rules that were set up.

That seems to be the case. But FWIW, my beef is with the NCAA rules that were set up. IMO, the players should have been allowed to decide for themselves whether to play or not. Grown men.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bill dazzle - 06-27-2021 12:13 PM

(06-27-2021 11:54 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(06-27-2021 09:11 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Yes, if either Vandy or MSU have to forfeit the title because of the virus in the next couple of days, that will merit an "asterisk" for the winner.

But not IMO based on what happened with NC State. We're getting a championship series, as of now at least.

Fair enough. A reasonable way to view it.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bill dazzle - 06-27-2021 12:15 PM

(06-27-2021 09:34 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(06-27-2021 09:09 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Then root for MSU.04-cheers

The good thing is that an SEC team will win the national title and that will be helpful to SEC baseball as we move forward.

And if Miss State wins ... I'll give the Bulldogs full props. They will have fully earned it.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bill dazzle - 06-27-2021 12:16 PM

(06-27-2021 10:11 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-27-2021 09:38 AM)bullet Wrote:  And understand that NCSU was on a hot streak. They weren't even a seeded team. They were ranked 16th in the final college baseball poll, but not that high in NCAA seedings. MSU is a 7 seed and Vandy is a 4 seed. Maybe you should consider them not fully worthy because Tennessee was a 3 seed and Arkansas a 1 seed from the same conference! Texas was the top seed to make the CWS at #2 as Arkansas lost in the super regionals.

All seedings in a year with little play outside of conference are BS. But Texas was beaten in the regular season by 4 SEC schools (Ole Miss, Miss St, A&M and Arkansas) and then defeated twice more by Miss St in the tourney. Perhaps the Horns were over seeded. Every baseball coach knows a streak is real and that having one at the right time is how you win championships. It's the nature of the game. This year's regionals were not balanced. I'd argue that Mississippi State had one of the toughest and Tennessee one of the weakest. Florida's streak came early in the season and they faded. Arkansas's game 1 blowout and a weak starting rotation past their #1 guy helped to do them in but mostly it was N.C. State's peaking at the right time.

A final between N.C. State and Mississippi State was shaping up to be epic. Both quietly had deep pens, both hit very well and both were peaking at the right time. Instead Vandy gets a do over in a way and that stinks.

Yep. I strongly feel NCST would have beaten Vandy with a full lineup this past Friday. Then we would have seen the Pack vs. the Dogs.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - OdinFrigg - 06-27-2021 02:37 PM

(06-27-2021 12:16 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Yep. I strongly feel NCST would have beaten Vandy with a full lineup this past Friday. Then we would have seen the Pack vs. the Dogs.

Bill, your "what if" logic is rather perplexing. Both Mississippi State and Vanderbilt beat some excellent teams along the way. Texas has an awesome team for example. MSU & Vandy navigated the established system successfully. Suggesting MSU & Vandy are incomplete victors has no basis given the highly structured format with rules and procedures that had no deviation.

NC State got excluded due to multiple players testing positive for COVID. That is unfortunate for the Wolfpack, but the protocol for dealing with such a situation was pre-established. The tournament officials tried to accommodate NCSU up to an hour before the game that was already delayed. Because Vandy got an auto-advancement due to a game cancellation is reasonable methodology. There was no other option. Off-the-field events, i.e. injuries, illnesses, etc. happen with all sports and impacts.

If ranked #1s and #2s lost, they lost. They don't get second and third chances. Those that prevailed on the field of play are to be congratulated and not inappropriately labeled with some negative asterisks. That won't happen for the record books in this case other than noting one game was cancelled due to a ruling NC State, not Vanderbilt, could not participate. With Miss. State it is 'next-up' in a no bumps (outside W-L) sequence.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - SoCalBobcat78 - 06-27-2021 04:46 PM

(06-26-2021 10:26 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  The vaccine greatly illuminates your chances of getting Covid and greatly reduces your chances of spreading it but it’s not 100%. No drug or treatment is

The fact remains you can’t play Russian roulette with peoples lives in this manner

The problem for employers is that the FDA granted emergency use authorizations for the vaccines. The vaccines have not been approved or licensed by the FDA. So employers cannot mandate that their employees or students take the vaccine. At many hospitals, a flu vaccination is required for all employees. My wife works at a large hospital in Southern California and she says the hospital is just waiting for the FDA to license the Covid vaccines. Then they will mandate it to every employee, as they do the flu vaccine.

NC State could only encourage the players and coaches to get the Covid vaccine. I don't know if the athletic department understood the potential fallout if unvaccinated players or coaches got Covid-19 in the playoffs. Obviously, if everyone gets vaccinated, this should never be an issue. It is very unfortunate for a team that had a good shot at winning it all.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - dbackjon - 06-27-2021 04:47 PM

(06-27-2021 10:13 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(06-27-2021 08:17 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  Penalize and denigrate those two teams for the mistakes made by the NCAA. But above all else, abolish the NCAA.

Accuracy++;

Sad you have stoop to putting lies in someone else’s post

Your post is full of shot Mine was the accurate one

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bill dazzle - 06-27-2021 06:09 PM

(06-27-2021 02:37 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  
(06-27-2021 12:16 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Bill, your "what if" logic is rather perplexing. Both Mississippi State and Vanderbilt beat some excellent teams along the way. Texas has an awesome team for example. MSU & Vandy navigated the established system successfully. Suggesting MSU & Vandy are incomplete victors has no basis given the highly structured format with rules and procedures that had no deviation.

NC State got excluded due to multiple players testing positive for COVID. That is unfortunate for the Wolfpack, but the protocol for dealing with such a situation was pre-established. The tournament officials tried to accommodate NCSU up to an hour before the game that was already delayed. Because Vandy got an auto-advancement due to a game cancellation is reasonable methodology. There was no other option. Off-the-field events, i.e. injuries, illnesses, etc. happen with all sports and impacts.

If ranked #1s and #2s lost, they lost. They don't get second and third chances. Those that prevailed on the field of play are to be congratulated and not inappropriately labeled with some negative asterisks. That won't happen for the record books in this case other than noting one game was cancelled due to a ruling NC State, not Vanderbilt, could not participate. With Miss. State it is 'next-up' in a no bumps (outside W-L) sequence.

These are all very good points, OdinFrigg. And due to all the other reasonable posts regarding the topic and my having had some time to digest the situation ... I'm reversing my stance.

Though this is an an unusual situation and we'll never know if NCST and had beaten VU and then go on to win it all ... that is irrelevant at this point. So, I'm going to drop the "asterisk theme" of my previous posts. You folks have convinced me.

Though I want Vanderbilt to win (Lower Broadway awaits Bill Dazzle riding a multi-wheel vehicle, donning some odd hat and minimal clothing as he celebrates the title), Miss State will be the full champ if it wins. And the Commodores will too.

May the best team claim the crown in Omaha.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - ken d - 06-27-2021 06:42 PM

I'd hate to see Vandy be tagged with an asterisk (if only in the minds of some fans) if they win it all. I said before Vandy played NC State (and before I knew there were issues) that good pitching usually beats good hitting, and Vandy has some outstanding pitching. They did catch a break of sorts in that, if the MSU series goes three games, both of Vandy's aces will be able to start.

Whichever team wins it all will deserve it.