CSNbbs
Oklahoma vs JMU softball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Oklahoma vs JMU softball (/thread-922918.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUska - 06-06-2021 03:22 PM

(06-06-2021 03:02 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  For someone who follows the team more closely throughout the season than I do... Let's say we start Humphrey and she gets in trouble so we go to CC, but CC is out of gas. How are our options beyond that? GG at that point or no?

Realistically, it’s supposed to be GG for almost any pitcher the second they face Oklahoma. OU’s been historically successful this season offensively... They’ve scored 81 runs in their 7 tournament games that weren’t vs JMU, and they got 8 runs off Rachel Garcia last night in a little over five innings. (For reference: Garcia is a former national player of the year and one of three current college players who is going to play on the US Olympic team this summer.)

So on paper, nobody matches up well really except Alexander, in all of college softball (and we also have reason to suspect that Fouts from Alabama could stack up well... she’s been lights out thus far in the WCWS).

I haven’t dug through all of Oklahoma’s games, but I’d be surprised if another opposing pitcher this year had even survived 14 full innings in back-to-back games — and CC has held them to 9 runs in 15 innings (when they average 11 runs per game on the year, keeping in mind that a number of their games end after 5 innings).

I’m rambling by now, but in short — the Dukes are having a heck of a run, and I still don’t consider Alexander “beaten” or “figured out” by Oklahoma yet.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - hburg - 06-06-2021 03:37 PM

No one said it would be easy.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - KickItToScotty - 06-06-2021 03:38 PM

Hoping FSU wins this one and forces Fouts to pitch later tonight. Fouts vs CC would be an insane matchup anyway, but definitely don't want Fouts totally rested with CC coming off of two games today.

Lightning delay now in the FSU/Bama game, guess that could be a positive for CC.

Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUDunk - 06-06-2021 03:58 PM

(06-06-2021 03:16 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  unless cc tells me she cant go, I am throwing cc. 80% cc is better than 95% of the pitchers out there.

LaPorte has already said she is our horse and we are going to ride her. If she gets shelled, she gets shelled.

I would be shocked to see Humphery

This.

Unless she taps out herself, there’s no way I wouldn’t give her the ball.

Ride the horse that brung ya.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - jmufan2008 - 06-06-2021 04:13 PM

But they also need to assess her arm and her foot. She landed on her pitching arm and got hit by a 60+ mph ball directly on her plant foot. She can grit through that for a few innings...but gonna be tough to do that for a whole extra game. Her stamina is one thing, but she can only take so many shots and still be able to pitch even at 80%. She was literally limping around the dugout at the end of the game. Tired CC is different than injured CC.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - Dukes84 - 06-06-2021 04:27 PM

I've only watched the team since the super regionals, but statistically I'd go with Humphrey to start the game. Her ERA is nearly identical to Alexander's and Oklahoma hasn't seen her before. CC seemed tired and they got to her in the last game, especially late. She'll be available to help in relief, but I'm not the coach, of course. JMU has to do better at getting runs across, as many have said. The sixth thru ninth spot aren't producing much. This Oklahoma team is incredibly talented and JMU should be commended for having made it to this point. It may sound strange, but perhaps JMU will play more relaxed in the second game, which could help them. Perusing the roster, it seems like JMU has a relatively large freshman class and hopefully they have some good incoming players. Humphrey seems to be a key building block going forward.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - olddawg - 06-06-2021 04:27 PM

(06-06-2021 04:13 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  But they also need to assess her arm and her foot. She landed on her pitching arm and got hit by a 60+ mph ball directly on her plant foot. She can grit through that for a few innings...but gonna be tough to do that for a whole extra game. Her stamina is one thing, but she can only take so many shots and still be able to pitch even at 80%. She was literally limping around the dugout at the end of the game. Tired CC is different than injured CC.

She got hit w/ a shot back to the mound against OSU too.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - olddawg - 06-06-2021 04:32 PM

(06-06-2021 03:22 PM)JMUska Wrote:  
(06-06-2021 03:02 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  For someone who follows the team more closely throughout the season than I do... Let's say we start Humphrey and she gets in trouble so we go to CC, but CC is out of gas. How are our options beyond that? GG at that point or no?

Realistically, it’s supposed to be GG for almost any pitcher the second they face Oklahoma. OU’s been historically successful this season offensively... They’ve scored 81 runs in their 7 tournament games that weren’t vs JMU, and they got 8 runs off Rachel Garcia last night in a little over five innings. (For reference: Garcia is a former national player of the year and one of three current college players who is going to play on the US Olympic team this summer.)

So on paper, nobody matches up well really except Alexander, in all of college softball (and we also have reason to suspect that Fouts from Alabama could stack up well... she’s been lights out thus far in the WCWS).

I haven’t dug through all of Oklahoma’s games, but I’d be surprised if another opposing pitcher this year had even survived 14 full innings in back-to-back games — and CC has held them to 9 runs in 15 innings (when they average 11 runs per game on the year, keeping in mind that a number of their games end after 5 innings).

I’m rambling by now, but in short — the Dukes are having a heck of a run, and I still don’t consider Alexander “beaten” or “figured out” by Oklahoma yet.

Learn something new every day...had to look up "GG"

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - purplesanman - 06-06-2021 04:34 PM

I'm for starting Humphrey. 1. It resets the fastball at 60 so oa will look faster when she comes in. 2. It ensures oa will be in at the end when nerves kick in for others.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - KickItToScotty - 06-06-2021 04:35 PM

Yeah that pitch she was hit with seemed like it hurt her more than previous bang ups, seemed able to power through it when needed but noticeably limping in the down moments. Hope it isn't worse after letting it sit for however many hours this ends up being with the lightning delay.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - jmufan2008 - 06-06-2021 04:41 PM

(06-06-2021 04:27 PM)olddawg Wrote:  
(06-06-2021 04:13 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  But they also need to assess her arm and her foot. She landed on her pitching arm and got hit by a 60+ mph ball directly on her plant foot. She can grit through that for a few innings...but gonna be tough to do that for a whole extra game. Her stamina is one thing, but she can only take so many shots and still be able to pitch even at 80%. She was literally limping around the dugout at the end of the game. Tired CC is different than injured CC.

She got hit w/ a shot back to the mound against OSU too.

Right right. Those minor injuries rack up. Hard enough in a do or die game against the best offense in history. Almost impossible to not let those additional injuries start to take a mental toll. You could see her checking her arm every now and then in between pitches. She's been nearly perfect at staying focused, but it may have become too much.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUDuke25 - 06-06-2021 04:55 PM

No opinion on Humphrey vs Alexander. I can see both sides to that debate and will trust Laporte.

But please bat Emily Phillips instead of Hallie Hall (if it's Alexander) or let Phillips play 1B (with Alexander the DH if it's Humphrey)

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - olddawg - 06-06-2021 05:05 PM

(06-06-2021 04:55 PM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  No opinion on Humphrey vs Alexander. I can see both sides to that debate and will trust Laporte.

But please bat Emily Phillips instead of Hallie Hall (if it's Alexander) or let Phillips play 1B (with Alexander the DH if it's Humphrey)

Agreed. She's 0-17 since the Tournament started. Many games we take her out midway. Let's just eliminate that step.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - HMK - 06-06-2021 05:12 PM

(06-06-2021 03:22 PM)JMUska Wrote:  

CC will start unless she says she is hurting. She is a competitor, a 5th year senior and the only reason why we are still playing. Humphrey is freshman, a good CAA pitcher, but has never pitched on the big stage. Yesterday Oklahoma made Georgia’s and UCLA’s National Player of the Year look like batting practice. Like you said, CC matches up well against Oklahoma.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - VBDuke95 - 06-06-2021 05:32 PM

Monday morning QB-should we have started Humphrey in the first game today? OU was prepped for Alexander and that would have possibly thrown their game plan off? Might have worked for a couple/3 innings. I'm not saying LaPorte made the wrong move, I'm curious to hear from folks way smarter than me on softball.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - PGJMU2 - 06-06-2021 05:41 PM

espn still showing ala v fsu in delay. what inning are they in? looks like the weather will clear around 7. then another band a few hours out

I guess there is a chance that this gets pushed to tomorrow, but I am sure they are going to do everything they can to get both in tonight.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - Longhorn - 06-06-2021 05:42 PM

Interesting factoid, but I believe Sandercock, the ace pitcher for Florida State, was poised to play for JMU when Mickey Dean was our HC. When Dean left for Auburn Sandercock withdrew her commitment to JMU. Sure could use her now.

Humphrey may be a Freshman, but she an excellent pitcher, and a complete change of pace from CC. I trust LaPorte to make the call, but I think CC is gassed, beat-up, and could use at least 2-3 innings of relief.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - KickItToScotty - 06-06-2021 05:47 PM

(06-06-2021 05:41 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  espn still showing ala v fsu in delay. what inning are they in? looks like the weather will clear around 7. then another band a few hours out

I guess there is a chance that this gets pushed to tomorrow, but I am sure they are going to do everything they can to get both in tonight.

They were in the bottom of the first so yeah our game is gonna be really late.

I also thought about the possibility of starting Humphrey the first game. Throw something different at them, tire out their best pitchers, and have CC fresh for the do or die game. But of course that's easy to say after the fact, if she actually did start Humphrey I think just about everybody would've thought that was insane.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - Longhorn - 06-06-2021 05:48 PM

(06-06-2021 05:32 PM)VBDuke95 Wrote:  Monday morning QB-should we have started Humphrey in the first game today? OU was prepped for Alexander and that would have possibly thrown their game plan off? Might have worked for a couple/3 innings. I'm not saying LaPorte made the wrong move, I'm curious to hear from folks way smarter than me on softball.

Interesting suggestion. I admit to having thought about that exact same scenario. That said, I think you go with your best (CC) and try to win game one.

Just as in our Super Regional games with LSU, where LSU needed to beat JMU twice, losing game one gives the winner momentum, and tends to make the loser tight. OU is on a roll now. This second game is going to be a bar-fight.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - PGJMU2 - 06-06-2021 05:50 PM

(06-06-2021 05:42 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  Interesting factoid, but I believe Sandercock, the ace pitcher for Florida State, was poised to play for JMU when Mickey Dean was our HC. When Dean left for Auburn Sandercock withdrew her commitment to JMU. Sure could use her now.

Humphrey may be a Freshman, but she an excellent pitcher, and a complete change of pace from CC. I trust LaPorte to make the call, but I think CC is gassed, beat-up, and could use at least 2-3 innings of relief.

Sandercock is from Mclean, so that makes sense. Another Ace would do a lot for this team.

I agree, cc doesnt seem to have much left in the tank. Physically it has been a lot of grind on her. On top of that, it has to have been a lot emotionally and as the leader of the team. She has handled it unbelievably.