CSNbbs
Oklahoma vs JMU softball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Oklahoma vs JMU softball (/thread-922918.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMU_71 - 06-03-2021 03:03 PM

Yep, win tomorrow and they’re guaranteed a spot in the final four. Keep causing damage.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - dukesfan4010 - 06-03-2021 03:03 PM

Let’s hope Dukester got those notifications turned off!

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - jmufan2008 - 06-03-2021 03:07 PM

(06-03-2021 03:03 PM)dukesfan4010 Wrote:  Let’s hope Dukester got those notifications turned off!

Not sure he's gonna have any way to avoid it given what happened, but good luck to him...

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - Halz87 - 06-03-2021 03:08 PM

a few buds here headed to B-Dubs in Va Beach and we were treated to a great time! Awesome win and so proud of what they are achieving this year. great to see Kate break out of that slump in heroic fashion

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - hburg - 06-03-2021 03:09 PM

OSU and UGA tied up bottom 3rd. Only 1 hit in the game so far. Seems to be another pitchers duel.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - Dukes94 - 06-03-2021 03:14 PM

I'm just posting in this thread to bask in the awesome.

Thank you.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - DoubleDogDare - 06-03-2021 03:15 PM

(06-03-2021 02:12 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  I've watched about 45 innings of softball since I had a crush on a player back in HS in 2007, so clearly no expert here, but the schedule gives the winner of us vs. UGA/OKST an extra day of rest (fri night then sun afternoon) before facing the losing bracket winner as they will play back to back days (sat night then sun afternoon). It gives the first two winners a level playing field and then gives the 2-0 team an advantage over the team coming out of the loser bracket. This then carries into the final showdown if the loser bracket team beats the winning bracket as they would be playing their 3rd game in a 24 hour time span. This setup seems like it just give this winners the slight advantage when it would otherwise be impossible to have the teams on even rest.

(06-03-2021 02:14 PM)JMUska Wrote:  As mentioned, at least our opponent will be in the same situation.

The advantage really comes for the team who wins in the winners’ bracket tomorrow. That team gets to rest Saturday while their opponent plays, and possibly even while that team plays two games.

Another potential advantage for the team who loses the winner’s game tomorrow is that their Saturday opponent will have already played a game that same day.

For anybody not following (or if I’m not explaining it well), it makes more sense looking at the bracket:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.com/news/softball/article/2021-06-01/2021-womens-college-world-series-bracket-schedule-scores%3famp

(Also, I think I explained the losers’ bracket moderately incorrectly a few days ago, so rather than try again I’ll just link the bracket, pipe down, and say Go Dukes.)

I rewrote my explanation a couple times trying to get it to make sense and I had this feeling by the time I finally got it posted someone else would have already introduced my theory.

I also didn't realize it until a second look at the bracket but if a loser from today's games forces the team from the winners bracket into a second game on Sunday night, the team from loser's bracket would have played 4 games in 31 hours. I don't think that is uncommon in softball, but adding in the extra emotional induced fatigue of making WCWS, falling into losers bracket, winning a few do or die games, forcing a second game with a team from winners bracket, on top of the physical aspect and the winners bracket team will be thankful it's just their 2nd game since Friday night.

[Image: C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg]

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMU85 - 06-03-2021 03:25 PM

OU is now 50-3. Their 3 losses have come to the other 3 teams on their side of the bracket.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUDunk - 06-03-2021 03:26 PM

(06-03-2021 03:03 PM)dukesfan4010 Wrote:  Let’s hope Dukester got those notifications turned off!

03-lmfao

Two of us inadvertently did that to another friend.

He didn't tell us he was dvring it for later, so we continued with our periodic updates. Ooooops...

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUska - 06-03-2021 03:31 PM

The play at first was close enough to go either way, as was Naujokas being called out at second on the steal. Both were wrong if you go frame by frame, but not worth complaining about in the scheme of things. Sure, the call at first “gave” us a run, but if Naujokas is called safe she’d have been running on contact with two outs and she’s likely to score on any base hit.

Bottom line: Dukes win.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - DoubleDogDare - 06-03-2021 03:31 PM

(06-03-2021 02:58 PM)JMU_71 Wrote:  I’m rootin fer UGA. The girls from Stillwater may be able to take out the Sooners in the losers bracket. UGA hasn’t lost yet, so if they beat OSU—they’ll be due if they play us tomorrow.

UGA might be on a NCAA playoff run (5-0) but they ended the season on a slide - One and done in SEC tournament and closed out the regular season 2-12 (since mid april).

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUDunk - 06-03-2021 03:33 PM

(06-03-2021 03:31 PM)JMUska Wrote:  The play at first was close enough to go either way, as was Naujokas being called out at second on the steal. Both were wrong if you go frame by frame, but not worth complaining about in the scheme of things. Sure, the call at first “gave” us a run, but if Naujokas is called safe she’d have been running on contact with two outs and she’s likely to score on any base hit.

I had no problem with the umps in this one. I thought they called a pretty good game. It wasn't perfect or completely clean, but I thought it was fair.

Oklahoma vs JMU softball - 84Breeze - 06-03-2021 03:35 PM

(06-03-2021 03:07 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  

Not sure he's gonna have any way to avoid it given what happened, but good luck to him...

I would think the odds are against it considering how much hype the game has received. Personally I can never do that. Great game! Go Dukes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUska - 06-03-2021 03:37 PM

Agree umps were fair in this one. Hard to be perfect for 48 outs, at least to the standards of HD replay - but nothing was really out of line.

The only real unbalanced call was JMU getting warned for having a couple players celebrate a homerun, then OU poured the whole team on the field to hype the crowd.

Unfortunately for OU, I get the feeling that the moment only fired up our team even more. Very similar to that dumb 10 second call at Missouri that fired up the troops.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - KickItToScotty - 06-03-2021 03:38 PM

On that safe call at first, and showing my baseball/softball ignorance again... Is it about when the ball first gets in to the glove, when it hits the back of the glove, or when the glove is closed on it? Only the third option there would mean she was safe, the first makes it a pretty bad call, second(which I think is the case?) means it was extremely close but she was out by maybe an inch off the bag.

Always frustrating to me when a game is televised but replay isn't available to review, especially at this stage of the season. Several very, very close calls throughout that game and I'm glad we came out ahead on them overall but I kept being nervous that another one would come along to decide the game. I know some people hate too many reviews for the flow and length of a game, but I'm always in favor of whatever it takes to get the call right.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - hburg - 06-03-2021 03:39 PM

Media coverage:

https://sports.yahoo.com/james-madison-upsets-no-1-191232394.html?src=rss&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAGvPuYbU-QfcgViFvjYyVADB5mvYgVErmMrYX0QV2NZ7o3mE-X7MqIEXOWpwwncFr2GRoTNKb9s2Jk_NGYX03dzyr7G3rM55vBv5F5lvfZk-_Hbq1_m1FLwrvu_CjRaWoMUEB6kWaOu0LmnoUyP8QhGL3ZeCB1oKO5zV7LNWfrZ

Westwood one call on Kate Gordon's homerun

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - Hart Foundation - 06-03-2021 03:39 PM

There were a ton of bang bang plays. Tough game to call on the bases today, but JMU got their share of the calls and beat Oklahoma straight up. No fluke. It was super impressive considering the athletes the Sooners had on the field. You could easily see they had supreme talent at every single position. And they got beat!
That was a great performance by the Dukes.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - 94computerguy - 06-03-2021 03:40 PM

(06-03-2021 03:31 PM)JMUska Wrote:  The play at first was close enough to go either way, as was Naujokas being called out at second on the steal. Both were wrong if you go frame by frame, but not worth complaining about in the scheme of things. Sure, the call at first “gave” us a run, but if Naujokas is called safe she’d have been running on contact with two outs and she’s likely to score on any base hit.

I agree. They didn't show it, but the ESPN guys said they watched it during the break and agreed she was out.

Also, that foul-tip where the C dropped the ball and the runner stole 2nd wasn't really a foul tip. But that also didn't matter because the next batter homered anyway.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - 94computerguy - 06-03-2021 03:42 PM

(06-03-2021 03:38 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  On that safe call at first, and showing my baseball/softball ignorance again... Is it about when the ball first gets in to the glove, when it hits the back of the glove, or when the glove is closed on it? Only the third option there would mean she was safe, the first makes it a pretty bad call, second(which I think is the case?) means it was extremely close but she was out by maybe an inch off the bag.

Always frustrating to me when a game is televised but replay isn't available to review, especially at this stage of the season. Several very, very close calls throughout that game and I'm glad we came out ahead on them overall but I kept being nervous that another one would come along to decide the game. I know some people hate too many reviews for the flow and length of a game, but I'm always in favor of whatever it takes to get the call right.

If the 1b doesn't bobble the ball, and is already touching the bag, the batter is out when the ball hits the leather. So yeah, the runner should have been out. In an age before replay, that's definitely close enough to meet the "tie goes to the runner" rule, and most umps actually call that based on hearing the slap of the ball against the glove vs. the foot on the base.

So yeah, we got away with one there.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - ShadyP - 06-03-2021 04:15 PM

Playing loose and with house money, with absolutely nothing to lose and a lot of talent.......that makes JMU a VERY DANGEROUS TEAM and no doubt the crowd favorites in OKC if you are not playing us.