CSNbbs
Oklahoma vs JMU softball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Oklahoma vs JMU softball (/thread-922918.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUNation - 05-30-2021 11:19 PM

So there are two teams who have played both JMU and Oklahoma. Liberty lost to Oklahoma 5-4 and 16-0 in five innings. Mizzou lost 5-2 and 11-0 in five innings. The two run rule wins are impressive. The two close wins gives me hope that JMU can pull an upset.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUska - 05-31-2021 09:50 AM

Oklahoma has won 34 games by a mercy rule finish, and they lead the country in batting average, home runs, and slugging percentage. They’re averaging 11 runs per game (about four more per game than the second highest scoring team in the country).

The beautiful thing is that, with the pace of softball, a good pitching/defensive performance can stifle any offense in a hurry (like the vibe of game 1 vs Mizzou where there was the sudden feeling where the game was suddenly in crunch time and neither team had really got much going offensively yet).

I think the Dukes can hang - they need to make zero mistakes defensively, not fall behind early in counts, etc. And if it gets to the fifth inning or so and the game is still tight, I genuinely believe JMU is good enough to win.

Oklahoma would be a giant favorite against anyone in the field except probably UCLA, but anyone can beat anyone at this level.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUska - 05-31-2021 09:55 AM

I think game one vs UCLA, eventual national champions, in 2019 is a good example of both how to hang in there and the type of mistakes to avoid and learn from... Dukes lost 6-1, with four of the runs unearned. Had the game been 2-1 late, they’d have been right in that “anything can happen” zone. Also, I think the veterans on the 2021 team have filed away the previous seasons and learned from the outcomes of those seasons - all of this stuff combines to make me pretty optimistic, even when taking off the purple-colored glasses.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMU_71 - 06-01-2021 09:12 AM

My loyalties are somewhat split on this one. But, considering I wouldn’t be following softball but for the Dukes—I’m rootin get Dukes! Beat the Sooners! We can win this game. If we do it puts OU in a tough spot. If we were to get to the second game in the winners bracket and face theCowgirls… That’s some tough draw. Two essential home teams back to back on the biggest stage. So im rootin fer UGA too.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - ShadyP - 06-01-2021 09:34 AM

JMU is playing with house money now.....play loose and nothing to lose here.

I think JMU can be tough for that initial game against any team with the way Alexander is pitching. It is that 2nd and especially 3rd time thru the order order (and 2nd time the same team sees Alexander in row ----like in a best of 3 series that is the big time danger zone).

But gotta have some run support in in OKC......need Kate Gordon to get going.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - olddawg - 06-01-2021 09:40 AM

And remember, CC actually pitched rather well against UCLA in 2019. Brought in to relieve Good in both games, she pitched 6 innings, gave up 1 earned run and allowed a combined total of 4 hits & walks.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - RamDawg - 06-01-2021 09:55 AM

(06-01-2021 09:34 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  JMU is playing with house money now.....play loose and nothing to lose here.

I think JMU can be tough for that initial game against any team with the way Alexander is pitching. It is that 2nd and especially 3rd time thru the order order (and 2nd time the same team sees Alexander in row ----like in a best of 3 series that is the big time danger zone).

Agree, play loose like they did on Sunday, anything can happen. It didn't seem to me CC pitched particularly well the past few games, got behind the count some innings but if she pitches at a level we've seen her pitch, anything can happen. I feel really bad because I don't ever remember seeing Ms. Gordon struggle, she it way overdue to make some noise. Playing with house money!

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - PGJMU2 - 06-01-2021 10:21 AM

pitching is the great equalizer.

would love to see Gordon break out. maybe she is pressing.....

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - Longhorn - 06-01-2021 01:39 PM

(06-01-2021 09:55 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 09:34 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  JMU is playing with house money now.....play loose and nothing to lose here.

Agree, play loose like they did on Sunday, anything can happen. It didn't seem to me CC pitched particularly well the past few games, got behind the count some innings but if she pitches at a level we've seen her pitch, anything can happen. I feel really bad because I don't ever remember seeing Ms. Gordon struggle, she it way overdue to make some noise. Playing with house money!

I’ll take another 1 hitter and 2 hitter as CC posted against Mizzou, which was one of the top offenses in the country.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - ShadyP - 06-01-2021 03:58 PM

(06-01-2021 01:39 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  

I’ll take another 1 hitter and 2 hitter as CC posted against Mizzou, which was one of the top offenses in the country.

Ugghhhhhhhh........I am sure everyone will as well.

His point was that while CC pitched very well and showed a lot of grit there were times when she got behind in the count a bit and also had quite a few walks compared to the regular season. Those are indeed valid points.

Also, Mizzou was one of the top offenses in the country but Oklahoma is the TOP offense in the country and it is not even close. It is imperative to stay out of hitters counts against them and to not give free bases to them.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - olddawg - 06-01-2021 04:46 PM

(06-01-2021 03:58 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  

His point was that while CC pitched very well and showed a lot of grit there were times when she got behind in the count a bit and also had quite a few walks compared to the regular season. Those are indeed valid points.

Also, Mizzou was one of the top offenses in the country but Oklahoma is the TOP offense in the country and it is not even close. It is imperative to stay out of hitters counts against them and to not give free bases to them.

Yup- I believe someone prior posted that OU is the top scoring offense (by about 3.7 runs per game). The difference there is unreal.

Here are a few more stats that jumped out at me:

*OU has 5 starters in the top 32 in Batting average. The NCAA lists 285 DI softball teams. That's 2565+ players in this list and they have 5 at the very top.

*OU has 5 starters in the top 43 in On Base Percentage

*OU has 2 of the top 7 players (and 4 of the top 29) in Slugging Percentage.

*Their team batting average is 1st w/ a .421 average. Next highest is .349.

And if you think they are all bat and no pitch/field...
*OU is ranked 15th in Team ERA and 3rd in Team Fielding Percentage

Lastly, there was one series that jumped out at me in their conference play. They swept Texas Tech in a 3 game series by a total of 40-0. Two of the games were run ruled. They can really steamroll teams that don't bring their A-game.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - Hart Foundation - 06-01-2021 09:27 PM

That is amazing that Oklahoma’s team batting average is .421 in a sport ruled by dominant pitchers.
The Dukes could be in for an embarrassing game where they get mercy ruled or they could pull off a gigantic upset. The great thing is they are playing the #1 team in the country and you can’t beat #1 until you actually play #1. The players have to be absolutely jacked to get this opportunity and upsets are what makes sports great.

I don’t watch the games until the playoffs start and ESPN starts broadcasting games, but from what I’ve seen there are enough JMU hitters to have a fighting chance.

All business meetings from 12-2pm Thursday have been rescheduled and it is time to root. 04-rock

JMU baseball made the CWS and bowed out quickly in 1983 going 0-2 against Texas and Stanford.
Can JMU softball seize the opportunity and make some noise while national attention is focused on the program?

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - KickItToScotty - 06-01-2021 09:53 PM

As someone who's also a Gators fan, thinking optimistically going in to this WCWS makes me think of the 2016 baseball CWS. Florida was the #1 and in their 5th CWS in 7 years, I really felt like that was gonna be the year after the last year they lost twice to eventual champion UVA. They were starting off against unseeded Coastal Carolina, they were the non-P5 school with a great pitcher that all the commentators loved making a story of but everyone thought would get smoked by Florida and go home 0-2.

Unfortunately they upset #1 Florida 2-1 in game 1 and then Florida lost 3-2 to #5 Texas Tech and Coastal Carolina went on to win the whole damn thing. Would be nice now to be on the other side of the same story.

Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUDunk - 06-01-2021 10:04 PM

(05-30-2021 11:19 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  So there are two teams who have played both JMU and Oklahoma. Liberty lost to Oklahoma 5-4 and 16-0 in five innings. Mizzou lost 5-2 and 11-0 in five innings. The two run rule wins are impressive. The two close wins gives me hope that JMU can pull an upset.

Interesting and I’m still learning a bit about softball here, but a big fan of what I’ve watched over a number of years since taking interest.

So the RR games, V. the close games, was there a pitching change there? On either side(s)?

Two blowouts, two competitive games, seems a bit of a pattern. Is it more of two solid starters then a fall off of day two pitching like we see in hardball, or some kind of odd fluke?

Does that mean JMU goes Odicci rail to rail, all three if necessary? I like the “change up” with the #2 (Humphrey? Not looking) but two very different styles/abilities from what I’ve seen.

I think there is a real shot here, everyone has either overlooked, or told these ladies “you haven’t played anyone” for months if not years now.

Do you smell what im cookin? Wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see these girls take it all.

Lot of rather varying/oddball talent out there, kinda reminds me of the bad news bears.

Yes, I think we have a shot

Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUDunk - 06-01-2021 10:16 PM

(06-01-2021 04:46 PM)olddawg Wrote:  

Yup- I believe someone prior posted that OU is the top scoring offense (by about 3.7 runs per game). The difference there is unreal.

*OU has 5 starters in the top 32 in Batting average. The NCAA lists 285 DI softball teams. That's 2565+ players in this list and they have 5 at the very top.

Lastly, there was one series that jumped out at me in their conference play. They swept Texas Tech in a 3 game series by a total of 40-0. Two of the games were run ruled. They can really steamroll teams that don't bring their A-game.

Day-um.

That’s some real ish right there^^^,

Does anyone beat them? Could it be a team they perhaps overlook?

Reads like OU will be odds on faves in any game, and with stats like that deservedly so.

It’s also what Final Four runs and Miracle in ***** are made of.

Just a genuine pleasure to have something like this to root for, entering June.

You Go Girls!

Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUDunk - 06-01-2021 10:19 PM

(06-01-2021 09:27 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  That is amazing that Oklahoma’s team batting average is .421 in a sport ruled by dominant pitchers.
The Dukes could be in for an embarrassing game where they get mercy ruled or they could pull off a gigantic upset. The great thing is they are playing the #1 team in the country and you can’t beat #1 until you actually play #1. The players have to be absolutely jacked to get this opportunity and upsets are what makes sports great.

I don’t watch the games until the playoffs start and ESPN starts broadcasting games, but from what I’ve seen there are enough JMU hitters to have a fighting chance.

All business meetings from 12-2pm Thursday have been rescheduled and it is time to root. 04-rock

JMU baseball made the CWS and bowed out quickly in 1983 going 0-2 against Texas and Stanford.
Can JMU softball seize the opportunity and make some noise while national attention is focused on the program?

Yes!

This schit right ^^^ here!

Harpoo on point still

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMUNation - 06-02-2021 06:56 AM

If Oklahoma jumps out to a lead, JMU likely starts pressing thinking they can’t get down by too much against a good hitting team. If CC holds Oklahoma down until the late innings and the Dukes have a lead, Oklahoma likely starts pressing because they haven’t been in that spot this year and losing to an unseeded mid-major from a so called weak league is a perceived embarrassing loss for their players.

These are two good teams neither of which has played a daunting schedule. Pitching usually trumps batting in playoff games which gives JMU an advantage IMO.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMaddy - 06-02-2021 08:28 AM

(06-01-2021 10:16 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 04:46 PM)olddawg Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 09:55 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  Agree, play loose like they did on Sunday, anything can happen. It didn't seem to me CC pitched particularly well the past few games, got behind the count some innings but if she pitches at a level we've seen her pitch, anything can happen. I feel really bad because I don't ever remember seeing Ms. Gordon struggle, she it way overdue to make some noise. Playing with house money!

Day-um.

That’s some real ish right there^^^,

Does anyone beat them? Could it be a team they perhaps overlook?

Reads like OU will be odds on faves in any game, and with stats like that deservedly so.

It’s also what Final Four runs and Miracle in ***** are made of.

Just a genuine pleasure to have something like this to root for, entering June.

You Go Girls!
They lost to Georgia and Oklahomas St. both of whom are in the WCWS. They've beaten everyone else often by a lot. They also beat both of those teams as well, Georgia by run rule and took two of three fro Oklahomas St, then crushed them by run rule in the Big XII champs.

They beat Wichita State 24-7 in the Regionals Finals. They run ruled both Baylor (Regionals team) and OK State (WCWS team) in the Big XII tournament. They run ruled Texas three straight games (Texas finished ranked #12 and hosted a Regional). They run ruled Mississippi St. (SEC Regionals team), Iowa St. twice (Regionals team), run ruled and swept both Liberty and Missouri (we all should know about them).

The good news for us is they've only lost to teams in the WCWS and we happen to be a team in the WCWS so we have a shot.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - JMaddy - 06-02-2021 08:36 AM

(06-02-2021 06:56 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  If Oklahoma jumps out to a lead, JMU likely starts pressing thinking they can’t get down by too much against a good hitting team. If CC holds Oklahoma down until the late innings and the Dukes have a lead, Oklahoma likely starts pressing because they haven’t been in that spot this year and losing to an unseeded mid-major from a so called weak league is a perceived embarrassing loss for their players.

These are two good teams neither of which has played a daunting schedule. Pitching usually trumps batting in playoff games which gives JMU an advantage IMO.

Why do you keep puhing that false narrative? Oklahoma played a solid schedule, the Big XII sent 5 teams to the Regionals (the other 4 which they clobbered), and they played Missouri, Liberty, Arizona St. Mississippi St., Georgia, and Wichita St in the regular season. I don't think you can get a much better schedule unless you're in the SEC or PAC-12 and still play a solid out of conference slate.

They're proven. This will be like playing the 1980 Russian hockey team but in their own backyard. Still we can pull it out if Alexander can battle and get some timely hits.

RE: Oklahoma vs JMU softball - olddawg - 06-02-2021 09:28 AM

Transitive Property:

1)Georgia gave OU one of its two losses
2)Georgia was 3 wins, 3 losses against Tennessee & Mizzou
3)JMU was 3 wins & 1 loss against Tennessee & Mizzou

Thus JMU can and will defeat OU. 02-13-banana

[Image: david-versus-goliath.jpg]