CSNbbs
Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters (/thread-922874.html)

Pages: 1 2

Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - Fighting Muskie - 05-29-2021 10:12 AM

Here’s a wild idea for 2 conferences who are in a tight spot.

The Southland and MEAC merge administratively, then put the charter on one of their leagues on the market to whomever is willing to pay the most.

Keep regular season play mostly divisional except for the sports where there are too few members to do so.

In football, the winner of the East (HBCU) division goes to the Celebration Bowl; the winner of the West goes to the FCS playoff.

I think the 16 schools involved could get a few million dollars for the charter of one of the leagues. I think there’s a faction within C-USA who would pay good money to get out of that train wreck and one of the existing 32 Division I charters is a mess free way out.

Let’s face it, both the MEAC and Southland are going to be hard pressed to find long term members to join their ranks. This could be their best way to keep their heads above water.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - Yosef Himself - 05-29-2021 10:17 AM

It's not a bad idea overall, but the teams that buy the shell of the conference would not have access to CFP funds distribution, G5 NY6 Bowl, and unless ESPN hooks it up with a bowl pool invite, no bowls.

I'd have no doubt that ESPN would get the new FBS conference a bowl pool invite if they'd sign an ESPN+ contract. The other two things probably are deal breakers though.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - Fighting Muskie - 05-29-2021 10:25 AM

(05-29-2021 10:17 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  It's not a bad idea overall, but the teams that buy the shell of the conference would not have access to CFP funds distribution, G5 NY6 Bowl, and unless ESPN hooks it up with a bowl pool invite, no bowls.

I'd have no doubt that ESPN would get the new FBS conference a bowl pool invite if they'd sign an ESPN+ contract. The other two things probably are deal breakers though.

Wait and do it in a couple years, right before the CFP contract is up for renewal—that way, they can get a seat at the table for the “new” conference.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - IWokeUpLikeThis - 05-29-2021 11:06 AM

There will need to be more departures before this comes into play. When the NCAA encouraged the Sun Belt/American South merger, they were at about 11 cumulative members.

If one of the two loses more members and can’t get up to 8, I like this idea. No one has to drop down and it’s one more at-large spot for the NCAA Tournament.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - chargeradio - 05-29-2021 03:25 PM

The only way I see this being viable is the Texas and Louisiana SWAC schools have a soft landing in the Southland.

Southland:
West - Texas Southern, Prairie View A&M, Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word, McNeese State, Texas A&M-CC (non-football)
East - Grambling State, SE Louisiana, Nicholls State, Southern, Northwestern State, New Orleans (non-football)

SWAC
West - UAPB, MVSU, Jackson State, Alcorn State, Alabama State, Alabama A&M
East - Florida A&M, Bethune-Cookman, South Carolina State, NC Central, Norfolk State, Howard

UMES and Coppin State don't play football, so they have the most to lose in this scenario. Delaware State and Morgan State are also unaccounted for, but they do play football, so at the very least they might be able to find a football home in the Atlantic Sun or Big South. This assumes of course, all of the MEAC members survive as Division I members.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - GreenHornet33 - 05-29-2021 04:02 PM

(05-29-2021 03:25 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  The only way I see this being viable is the Texas and Louisiana SWAC schools have a soft landing in the Southland.

Southland:
West - Texas Southern, Prairie View A&M, Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word, McNeese State, Texas A&M-CC (non-football)
East - Grambling State, SE Louisiana, Nicholls State, Southern, Northwestern State, New Orleans (non-football)

SWAC
East - Florida A&M, Bethune-Cookman, South Carolina State, NC Central, Norfolk State, Howard

UMES and Coppin State don't play football, so they have the most to lose in this scenario. Delaware State and Morgan State are also unaccounted for, but they do play football, so at the very least they might be able to find a football home in the Atlantic Sun or Big South. This assumes of course, all of the MEAC members survive as Division I members.

Ain't a chance in hell!

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - IWokeUpLikeThis - 05-29-2021 04:17 PM

(05-29-2021 03:25 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  The only way I see this being viable is the Texas and Louisiana SWAC schools have a soft landing in the Southland.

Southland:

SWAC

Realignment doesn’t work where we magically move schools like puzzle pieces at our convenience as if we’re some God-like figure. Southern, Grambling, Texas Southern, & Prairie View aren’t giving up deeply-embedded HBCU cultures spanning *generations* for less money. These schools didn’t bite on the previous Southland, they’re not touching the current Southland. There’s a reason no one’s left the SWAC in 50 years and it’ll take something much better than the current Southland to change that.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - OhioBoilermaker - 05-29-2021 04:47 PM

i get the feeling that if any 8 schools wanted to hijack the SLC or MEAC, they could probably manage it without shelling out $$$ for the shell conference. And on top of that, it's somewhat unclear what the value of a shell conference even is given how the Big East managed it.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - Fighting Muskie - 05-29-2021 07:41 PM

Maybe a better solution for the MEAC is a joint effort mercy killing by the SWAC and CIAA: the 4 strongest join the SWAC, creating an HBCU Superconference, while the other 4 (Morgan St, Coppin St, UMES, SC St join the CIAA?

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - Wedge - 05-29-2021 07:55 PM

(05-29-2021 04:17 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Realignment doesn’t work where we magically move schools like puzzle pieces at our convenience as if we’re some God-like figure.

Realignment always works that way on this board! 07-coffee3

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - IWokeUpLikeThis - 05-29-2021 08:02 PM

(05-29-2021 07:41 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Maybe a better solution for the MEAC is a joint effort mercy killing by the SWAC and CIAA: the 4 strongest join the SWAC, creating an HBCU Superconference, while the other 4 (Morgan St, Coppin St, UMES, SC St join the CIAA?

It’s a tough sell for SWAC schools to bail them out. They’re adding flights and less desirable games while losing more desirable games and 1/3 of their pie.

Barring a survival-necessitated merger of two leagues below the autobid line, it’ll likely be the continuation of death by a thousand cuts for the MEAC:

- Howard and Delaware St join northeastern conferences
- Morgan St might or might not get a ticket
- Norfolk St, NC Central, & SC State might or might not get invites to southern conferences needing football members
- Coppin St & UMES are SOL

Right now it’s a blinking contest as no one wants to put in the dagger unless they’re left with no option.

If the MEAC can add VSU before anyone bolts, the league can be saved. If someone bolts before then, no one’s paying $1.7 million to board a sinking ship.

IMO, the likelihood of MEAC schools finding a D1 lifeboat:
100% - Howard
75% - Delaware St
50% - Morgan St, Norfolk St, NCCU, SCSU
2% - Coppin St, UMES

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - Wedge - 05-29-2021 08:38 PM

(05-29-2021 04:47 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  it's somewhat unclear what the value of a shell conference even is

The NCAA probably wouldn't let a group of schools just buy a shell conference for the autobid. But, just for fun, if it was allowed, how much is that NCAA autobid worth?

The minimum value of the autobid is the revenue the conference would get every year from March Madness even if no team in the conference ever won a game in the NCAA tournament and no team ever received an at-large bid. Right now that minimum payment would be about $1.3 million per year. Since we're just looking at a minimum, assume that the TV money paid for March Madness stays the same and doesn't increase, so the annual payout remains level. Also project it out only for 20 years of guaranteed payouts, who knows, maybe the tournament will cease to exist in 20 years.

Let's assume an average investment return on money for the next 20 years of 3 percent. Then the present value of 20 years of the minimum March Madness payout is a minimum of roughly $25.3 million.

That's the bare minimum that an NCAA autobid is worth, the present value of a guaranteed profit stream of $1.3 million per year. Add in whatever value we might put on having an autobid in your team's conference for all sports, and it should be quite a bit higher.

So IMO, even if you could sell an autobid for cash, it would be foolish to sell it for anything less than $35 million, and it's probably worth significantly more than that.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - BruceMcF - 05-30-2021 12:29 AM

It's not the SWAC that is teetering on the brink ... so why would SWAC schools need a soft landing? "This only works if THESE schools get something they neither want nor need" doesn't sound to me like "the only way something works".

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - quo vadis - 05-30-2021 07:22 AM

(05-30-2021 12:29 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

It's not the SWAC that is teetering on the brink ... so why would SWAC schools need a soft landing? "This only works if THESE schools get something they neither want nor need" doesn't sound to me like "the only way something works".

Yes, the OP said merge the Southland and MEAC, not SWAC.

The SWAC is robust and healthy, no need to merge, and Grambling and Southern, the Louisiana SWAC schools, have no need for a "soft landing" anywhere, as they have each been an integral part of the SWAC for many decades.

The SWAC has actually been one of the most stable conferences at any level, if we define "stability" as maintaining or gaining members, not losing them. It's been more than a half-century since anyone left the SWAC, and the school that did, in 1970, rejoined 25 years ago. The last time a school permanently left the SWAC was during the LBJ administration.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - IWokeUpLikeThis - 05-30-2021 06:45 PM

(05-30-2021 07:22 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-30-2021 12:29 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

Yes, the OP said merge the Southland and MEAC, not SWAC.

The SWAC is robust and healthy, no need to merge, and Grambling and Southern, the Louisiana SWAC schools, have no need for a "soft landing" anywhere, as they have each been an integral part of the SWAC for many decades.

The SWAC has actually been one of the most stable conferences at any level, if we define "stability" as maintaining or gaining members, not losing them. It's been more than a half-century since anyone left the SWAC, and the school that did, in 1970, rejoined 25 years ago. The last time a school permanently left the SWAC was during the LBJ administration.

Yes, if you search “SWAC History” on Youtube, there’s a really good video on SWAC realignment from 100 years ago to today.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - ken d - 05-30-2021 07:54 PM

(05-29-2021 08:38 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(05-29-2021 04:47 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  it's somewhat unclear what the value of a shell conference even is

The NCAA probably wouldn't let a group of schools just buy a shell conference for the autobid. But, just for fun, if it was allowed, how much is that NCAA autobid worth?

The minimum value of the autobid is the revenue the conference would get every year from March Madness even if no team in the conference ever won a game in the NCAA tournament and no team ever received an at-large bid. Right now that minimum payment would be about $1.3 million per year. Since we're just looking at a minimum, assume that the TV money paid for March Madness stays the same and doesn't increase, so the annual payout remains level. Also project it out only for 20 years of guaranteed payouts, who knows, maybe the tournament will cease to exist in 20 years.

Let's assume an average investment return on money for the next 20 years of 3 percent. Then the present value of 20 years of the minimum March Madness payout is a minimum of roughly $25.3 million.

That's the bare minimum that an NCAA autobid is worth, the present value of a guaranteed profit stream of $1.3 million per year. Add in whatever value we might put on having an autobid in your team's conference for all sports, and it should be quite a bit higher.

So IMO, even if you could sell an autobid for cash, it would be foolish to sell it for anything less than $35 million, and it's probably worth significantly more than that.

I believe there's a major flaw in your argument. You are assuming that the schools in the new conference had zero value themselves before they formed the new entity. In fact, if you are just shuffling the deck chairs within D-I, all the bottom feeder conferences have about the same value, so you should only be using the difference in expected annual revenues before applying your present value calculation. In most cases, that would mean the value of the shell conference is close to worthless.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - Wedge - 05-31-2021 12:04 AM

(05-30-2021 07:54 PM)ken d Wrote:  

I believe there's a major flaw in your argument. You are assuming that the schools in the new conference had zero value themselves before they formed the new entity. In fact, if you are just shuffling the deck chairs within D-I, all the bottom feeder conferences have about the same value, so you should only be using the difference in expected annual revenues before applying your present value calculation. In most cases, that would mean the value of the shell conference is close to worthless.

Nope. If I'm selling a business with a guaranteed annual income of $1.3 million/year, then it gets valued according to that guaranteed revenue stream. If a would-be buyer says, hey, I already belong to such a business, or conference, then fine. They can keep being unhappy in their existing 14 or 16 or 18 team conference. But if they want a new one, they can pay for mine.

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - johnbragg - 05-31-2021 06:48 AM

(05-31-2021 12:04 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

Nope. If I'm selling a business with a guaranteed annual income of $1.3 million/year, then it gets valued according to that guaranteed revenue stream. If a would-be buyer says, hey, I already belong to such a business, or conference, then fine. They can keep being unhappy in their existing 14 or 16 or 18 team conference. But if they want a new one, they can pay for mine.

This is a situation where the enterprise value is not going to have much relation to the sale price. Because the only way a sale is going to happen is under extremely distressed conditions for the seller.
Like say the MEAC losing another member or two, and not having a path back to keeping their autobid.
If a transfer of the MEAC charter is a live option, "$35M take it 9r leave it" is not a credible negotiating stance

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - quo vadis - 05-31-2021 07:22 AM

(05-31-2021 06:48 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  

This is a situation where the enterprise value is not going to have much relation to the sale price. Because the only way a sale is going to happen is under extremely distressed conditions for the seller.
Like say the MEAC losing another member or two, and not having a path back to keeping their autobid.
If a transfer of the MEAC charter is a live option, "$35M take it 9r leave it" is not a credible negotiating stance

Does the NCAA allow sales of charters and accompanying automatic tournament bids?

I would imagine it would want some direct control over that process, no?

RE: Merge the S’land & MEAC; sell one of the charters - Florida tribe fan - 05-31-2021 10:02 AM

(05-31-2021 07:22 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-31-2021 06:48 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(05-29-2021 08:38 PM)Wedge Wrote:  The NCAA probably wouldn't let a group of schools just buy a shell conference for the autobid. But, just for fun, if it was allowed, how much is that NCAA autobid worth?

Does the NCAA allow sales of charters and accompanying automatic tournament bids?

I would imagine it would want some direct control over that process, no?

Emmert would need a cut. Then approval would be a breeze.