CSNbbs
Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row (/thread-922248.html)

Pages: 1 2

Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - UCGrad1992 - 05-17-2021 02:45 PM

More national media love. Fick retains #1 AAC coach ranking. Question, will ECU ever get their football program elevated to be competitive in the AAC?

Quote:Ranking every football coach in the AAC from 1-11 heading into the 2021 season

1. Luke Fickell, Cincinnati
After a 4-8 debut season at Cincinnati in 2018, Fickell is 31-5 (20-3 AAC) over the past three seasons and has established the Bearcats as the class of the AAC. Fickell's quick elevation of the program after its demise under Tommy Tuberville has been remarkable. The longtime Ohio State assistant and former Buckeyes interim head coach could have departed for an attractive Power Five opportunity by now but has instead opted to stay and build a powerhouse in his home state. Unfortunately, it appears as though playoff expansion or a move to another league may be Cincinnati's only path to the playoff. But the fact that Fickell has the program knocking on the door of the CFP is a testament to his chops as a head coach. A win at Notre Dame on Oct. 2 might send Fickell-Mania into overdrive after the Bearcats fell just short against Georgia in the Peach Bowl last season. 2020 AAC ranking: 1

2. Ken Niumatalolo, Navy - 2020 AAC ranking: 2
3. Gus Malzahn, UCF - 2020 AAC ranking: N/A
4. Sonny Dykes, SMU - 2020 AAC ranking: 4
5. Willie Fritz, Tulane - 2020 AAC ranking: 3 (-2)
6. Dana Holgorsen, Houston - 2020 AAC ranking: 7 (+1)
7. Philip Montgomery, Tulsa - 2020 AAC ranking: 9 (+2)
8. Rod Carey, Temple - 2020 AAC ranking: 5 (-3)
9. Ryan Silverfield, Memphis - 2020 AAC ranking: 11 (+2)
10. Mike Houston, East Carolina - 2020 AAC ranking: 8 (-2)
11. Jeff Scott, South Florida - 2020 AAC ranking: 10 (-1)

Big Fick #1

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - geef - 05-17-2021 03:23 PM

Totally deserved for Fick, and an easy choice. The fact that Holgs rose from 7th to 6th is absolutely laughable. He's proven himself to be 12th at best.

(05-17-2021 02:45 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  More national media love. Fick retains #1 AAC coach ranking. Question, will ECU ever get their football program elevated to be competitive in the AAC?

Quote:Ranking every football coach in the AAC from 1-11 heading into the 2021 season

1. Luke Fickell, Cincinnati
After a 4-8 debut season at Cincinnati in 2018, Fickell is 31-5 (20-3 AAC) over the past three seasons and has established the Bearcats as the class of the AAC. Fickell's quick elevation of the program after its demise under Tommy Tuberville has been remarkable. The longtime Ohio State assistant and former Buckeyes interim head coach could have departed for an attractive Power Five opportunity by now but has instead opted to stay and build a powerhouse in his home state. Unfortunately, it appears as though playoff expansion or a move to another league may be Cincinnati's only path to the playoff. But the fact that Fickell has the program knocking on the door of the CFP is a testament to his chops as a head coach. A win at Notre Dame on Oct. 2 might send Fickell-Mania into overdrive after the Bearcats fell just short against Georgia in the Peach Bowl last season. 2020 AAC ranking: 1

2. Ken Niumatalolo, Navy - 2020 AAC ranking: 2
3. Gus Malzahn, UCF - 2020 AAC ranking: N/A
4. Sonny Dykes, SMU - 2020 AAC ranking: 4
5. Willie Fritz, Tulane - 2020 AAC ranking: 3 (-2)
6. Dana Holgorsen, Houston - 2020 AAC ranking: 7 (+1)
7. Philip Montgomery, Tulsa - 2020 AAC ranking: 9 (+2)
8. Rod Carey, Temple - 2020 AAC ranking: 5 (-3)
9. Ryan Silverfield, Memphis - 2020 AAC ranking: 11 (+2)
10. Mike Houston, East Carolina - 2020 AAC ranking: 8 (-2)
11. Jeff Scott, South Florida - 2020 AAC ranking: 10 (-1)

Big Fick #1

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - bearcatmark - 05-17-2021 03:24 PM

(05-17-2021 03:23 PM)geef Wrote:  Totally deserved for Fick, and an easy choice. The fact that Holgs rose from 7th to 6th is absolutely laughable. He's proven himself to be 12th at best.

In an 11 team conference no less!

I think you're being very generous to Rod Carey

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - geef - 05-17-2021 03:37 PM

(05-17-2021 03:24 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(05-17-2021 03:23 PM)geef Wrote:  Totally deserved for Fick, and an easy choice. The fact that Holgs rose from 7th to 6th is absolutely laughable. He's proven himself to be 12th at best.

Exactly!

Yeah, Carey's been a disappointment. I'm hoping last year was an anomaly, but Carey was a .500 coach over the course of his last four years at NIU. Temple have zero draft picks this year certainly doesn't appear to be a positive trend......

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - Hemond - 05-17-2021 03:42 PM

Fickell is a very good coach.

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - cinbinsportsfan - 05-17-2021 03:45 PM

(05-17-2021 03:37 PM)geef Wrote:  
(05-17-2021 03:24 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

Exactly!

Yeah, Carey's been a disappointment. I'm hoping last year was an anomaly, but Carey was a .500 coach over the course of his last four years at NIU. Temple have zero draft picks this year certainly doesn't appear to be a positive trend......

Manny Diaz really put Temple in a tough spot when he accepted the job then left for Miami the same month. But I'm surprised they went after Carey who was rather so-so following in the footsteps of Kill and Doeren.

Still, if Carey gets axed and that causes Walter Stewart to somehow wind up on Luke Fickell's staff, I wouldn't be the least bit upset.

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - Bear Catlett - 05-17-2021 05:10 PM

I mean... isn't that like, a given?

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - UCGrad1992 - 05-17-2021 08:18 PM

(05-17-2021 05:10 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  I mean... isn't that like, a given?

It is to us. That said, it's still nice to see it in writing from a national media source. The more our program brand - every aspect - is front and center the better. Remember Boise St? Exactly...

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - Z-Fly - 05-17-2021 08:44 PM

I’d argue Fick is a top 5 coach in the country, and I don’t even think it would be that hard to argue. Once you start going down the list, I’d start arguing around number 3 and pit my foot down at number 4.

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - UCGrad1992 - 05-17-2021 09:15 PM

(05-17-2021 08:44 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I’d argue Fick is a top 5 coach in the country, and I don’t even think it would be that hard to argue. Once you start going down the list, I’d start arguing around number 3 and pit my foot down at number 4.

If he takes us to another NY6 bowl and we win...he's top 5 for sure. We've got to do something not even Brian Kelly could...win the Big One.

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - horsefeathers - 05-18-2021 08:13 AM

(05-17-2021 08:44 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I’d argue Fick is a top 5 coach in the country, and I don’t even think it would be that hard to argue. Once you start going down the list, I’d start arguing around number 3 and pit my foot down at number 4.

I want to see what he does without Freeman before I'd give him this designation.

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - OKIcat - 05-18-2021 09:59 AM

(05-17-2021 09:15 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

If he takes us to another NY6 bowl and we win...he's top 5 for sure. We've got to do something not even Brian Kelly could...win the Big One.

Bolded, yes, that's still eating at us as fans--the Cincinnati "curse" or whatever we choose to call it. To be a couple of minutes from a Peach Bowl victory against a blue blood program was the best of times and the worst of times. I think we all want UC to break through that glass ceiling as UCF and Houston did in the NY6. It would have raised needed questions about rankings and the CFP selections last year for sure. And the excellent press UC is receiving now would even be a notch higher with a peachy championship trophy residing in a glass case in Varsity Village.

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - C1ncy4Life - 05-19-2021 07:46 PM

(05-18-2021 08:13 AM)horsefeathers Wrote:  

I want to see what he does without Freeman before I'd give him this designation.

I think it’s important to remember that Fick was considered a defensive genius long before Freeman. Not taking anything away from Freeman as I think he is also a great coach, but without Fick I don’t think Freeman is close to the coach he is right now.

From 2005-2010 the OSU defense was in the top 5 of Total Defense and Points allowed every year with Fick at the helm.

Here is a good article that covers Fick’s time as a Defensive Coordinator with some of his accomplishments.

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2019/9/5/20847870/luke-fickell-ohio-state-ohio-state-career-history

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - UCGrad1992 - 05-20-2021 07:54 AM

^^^^
Good stuff. I remember reading that article before the Ohio State game. I also remember Fick lamenting after the ass beating that he wasn't emotional enough with the team in preparation. He was too business-as-usual. Anywho, I think the other thing about BF is playing for and coaching at a program like Ohio State puts you in the mindset to expect success at a high clip including conference and national chips. That mindset and experience together with his love for recruiting Ohio high school talent and his integrity relationships with Ohio schools really makes for the perfect storm for the UC program. I hate to say it, we may never have the coaching planets align quite like they have under BF. That's why many of us keep saying...enjoy this ride while it lasts. It's been a helluva lot of fun for sure.

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - OKIcat - 05-20-2021 08:50 AM

(05-20-2021 07:54 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  ^^^^
Good stuff. I remember reading that article before the Ohio State game. I also remember Fick lamenting after the ass beating that he wasn't emotional enough with the team in preparation. He was too business-as-usual. Anywho, I think the other thing about BF is playing for and coaching at a program like Ohio State puts you in the mindset to expect success at a high clip including conference and national chips. That mindset and experience together with his love for recruiting Ohio high school talent and his integrity relationships with Ohio schools really makes for the perfect storm for the UC program. I hate to say it, we may never have the coaching planets align quite like they have under BF. That's why many of us keep saying...enjoy this ride while it lasts. It's been a helluva lot of fun for sure.

Bolded, well said. We all enjoy the winning ways. But not everyone appreciates the breadth of "program building" that has occurred under Fickell on so many levels. Keep wining obviously. Secure plans for the new locker room and the indoor practice facility next. Then let's hope we can keep the Fickell family happy in Cincinnati a few more years until he can make our program simply too big to ignore on the national stage.

Then instead of UC dialing the ACC and B12, those conferences are competing to woo the Bearcats. 03-thumbsup

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - BearcatMan - 05-20-2021 08:53 AM

Fickell + Tressel has a far longer track record of coaching nationally competitive defenses than Freeman did...I don't think we'll skip much of a beat on that side of the ball this year.

Never forget, 4-8 Cincinnati dropped 38 points AT Purdue in Freeman's only year as a DC prior to his position at UC. Not saying he's a bad coach, I think we all know he is incredibly good at what he does...but I'm speculating that Fickell had a hell of a lot to do with his development as a DC, which is why I'm not super troubled by MF leaving.

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - Captain Bearcat - 05-20-2021 09:06 AM

That Purdue defense was awful. 3-9, gave up 38 points per game (12th worst in FBS). Even Eastern Kentucky scored 24 points against them that year.

Perhaps even more telling: the next year, under a new HC and new DC, Purdue gave up 19 points per game (18th best in FBS).

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - UCGrad1992 - 05-20-2021 09:19 AM

(05-20-2021 08:53 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Fickell + Tressel has a far longer track record of coaching nationally competitive defenses than Freeman did...I don't think we'll skip much of a beat on that side of the ball this year.

Never forget, 4-8 Cincinnati dropped 38 points AT Purdue in Freeman's only year as a DC prior to his position at UC. Not saying he's a bad coach, I think we all know he is incredibly good at what he does...but I'm speculating that Fickell had a hell of a lot to do with his development as a DC, which is why I'm not super troubled by MF leaving.

Agree. I think most of us were more concerned about the short term impact on recruiting with the loss of MF than if the dee would experience a drop off.

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - C1ncy4Life - 05-20-2021 10:42 PM

No doubt. Fick has at least shown the blueprint for how to be successful at UC. You have to get someone that has extremely deep ties to Ohio recruiting and will garner respect in almost any High School he walks into. Even with that said, it would be extremely difficult to replace him, but at least we know what type of coach will be successful here, even if it is a notch below where Fick has taken us. Hopefully we don’t have to worry about that any time soon, but like you said we should enjoy it because it could come to an end at any point.

RE: Big Fick #1 AAC Coach Two Years In A Row - doss2 - 05-21-2021 05:45 AM

(05-20-2021 10:42 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  

No doubt. Fick has at least shown the blueprint for how to be successful at UC. You have to get someone that has extremely deep ties to Ohio recruiting and will garner respect in almost any High School he walks into. Even with that said, it would be extremely difficult to replace him, but at least we know what type of coach will be successful here, even if it is a notch below where Fick has taken us. Hopefully we don’t have to worry about that any time soon, but like you said we should enjoy it because it could come to an end at any point.

For 6-10 years only worry about ND and OSU. Look staying in Cincy making $4 million a year, beautiful Indian Hill Estate, kids in quality Catholic Schools is a decent gig. I repeat PSU does not worry me, with one marginal Catholic school. Here his sons can pick from Moeller and St. X. The girls can select from Ursuline Academy, MND, Summit CD.

Perhaps LF pulls a Frank Beamer.