CSNbbs
Cam Mattox has entered the portal - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Cam Mattox has entered the portal (/thread-921997.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Cam Mattox has entered the portal - Chicago_sportsfan - 05-11-2021 07:47 PM

Another one from the area is leaving.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - BigChilla - 05-11-2021 09:43 PM

(05-11-2021 07:47 PM)Chicago_sportsfan Wrote:  Another one from the area is leaving.

I think it’s just a case of another 5th or 6th string player leaving. I say good for them - they had no place here, why not try to see if you have one somewhere else.

It’s telling a lot of the transfers who leave don’t find anywhere else to play either.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - JB04 - 05-12-2021 06:01 AM

Aren’t we pretty thin at DE? Looking at the roster I’m not seeing many names that are seasoned players. I’m sure there are new young guys in the pipeline but that’s a big step for young guys at this position

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - BigChilla - 05-12-2021 07:03 AM

(05-12-2021 06:01 AM)JB04 Wrote:  Aren’t we pretty thin at DE? Looking at the roster I’m not seeing many names that are seasoned players. I’m sure there are new young guys in the pipeline but that’s a big step for young guys at this position

Interesting comment, I would argue we are fairly deep there. Sure they are young, but Hammock doesn't seem to give a darn how long guys have been here.

Honestly of the 5 guys listed at DE still on the roster, and I think O'Malley will play there from time to time as well so there are 6 guys on the roster who can play DE, that Mattox was probably at the end of the group...so 6th or 7th. We don't often rotate down to our 6th or 7th guy. Then if you think Trevon Jordan will come in at DE, it's possible Mattox would fall even further.

I think the depth there is probably the same with or without Mattox. I hope Mattox finds a landing spot.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - Rabid Squirrel - 05-12-2021 08:00 AM

(05-12-2021 07:03 AM)BigChilla Wrote:  
(05-12-2021 06:01 AM)JB04 Wrote:  Aren’t we pretty thin at DE? Looking at the roster I’m not seeing many names that are seasoned players. I’m sure there are new young guys in the pipeline but that’s a big step for young guys at this position

Interesting comment, I would argue we are fairly deep there. Sure they are young, but Hammock doesn't seem to give a darn how long guys have been here.

Honestly of the 5 guys listed at DE still on the roster, and I think O'Malley will play there from time to time as well so there are 6 guys on the roster who can play DE, that Mattox was probably at the end of the group...so 6th or 7th. We don't often rotate down to our 6th or 7th guy. Then if you think Trevon Jordan will come in at DE, it's possible Mattox would fall even further.

I think the depth there is probably the same with or without Mattox. I hope Mattox finds a landing spot.

Eventually Hammock has to get seasoned players out there. The “we’re young” logic has been the crutch for losing. It reminds me of Pace/Nagy getting Fields and buying themselves a couple more years of hope.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - Chicago_sportsfan - 05-12-2021 11:40 AM

(05-11-2021 09:43 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  
(05-11-2021 07:47 PM)Chicago_sportsfan Wrote:  Another one from the area is leaving.

I think it’s just a case of another 5th or 6th string player leaving. I say good for them - they had no place here, why not try to see if you have one somewhere else.

It’s telling a lot of the transfers who leave don’t find anywhere else to play either.

COVID played a major part...so there where really no schollys available. You just wait and see i believe that a couple of them will go P5 that left.

I CAN BET THAT MORE KIDS THAT LEFT GO P5 Than Hammock have wins!!

DM me if you want to put money on THAT

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - HuskieJ - 05-12-2021 12:19 PM

There are hundreds of guys in the Portal already that are more talented than these guys that are not getting any scholarships let alone P5 offers. Not gonna happen. Almost every NIU transfer has stepped down rather than step up.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - BigChilla - 05-12-2021 01:08 PM

(05-12-2021 11:40 AM)Chicago_sportsfan Wrote:  

COVID played a major part...so there where really no schollys available. You just wait and see i believe that a couple of them will go P5 that left.

I understand you are butt hurt because your son or something was a 4th string corner - but how many guys do you think are going P5? I mean the number is currently at zero. You have a zero percent chance to win your bet

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - TXHuskieJA26 - 05-12-2021 08:49 PM

(05-12-2021 01:08 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  

I understand you are butt hurt because your son or something was a 4th string corner - but how many guys do you think are going P5? I mean the number is currently at zero. You have a zero percent chance to win your bet

Well Kramer is now at a P5, so at least one guy... Cole, IMO, could hack it at certain P5's when fully healthy, but coming off a serious knee injury and with prior injury history, I don't see that happening right now. For any others to end up P5 they will have to transfer to a lower level, improve drastically, then transfer again. I would be absolutely blown away if any of the guys with current eligibility who have left NIU end up falling into that category. I wish them all the best though.

They are fine at DE. Thomas and Oppong played a lot last year and are both much bigger and stronger now. Kennedy has played some here and there and looked outstanding during the spring. The coaching staff was planning on playing Davis as a true freshman before he got injured. Johnson, Waskow, Rempel, and Williams round out the depth.

Plus they just picked up a transfer from UCF via Hutchinson CC via Vandy. I don't put a lot of faith in guys who bounce around that much, but he was a 3 star 85.06 (would have slotted as the 4th highest rated NIU recruit ever by 247) and played in 7 games as a true freshman @ Vandy, so there is clearly some talent there at least.

I would not be shocked if both Cole and Mattox had conversations with Hammock about exactly where they stood, and that is what prompted their entry in the portal. Seems a little too coincidental that 2 guys enter on the same day and a day later they have an incoming transfer commit at one of those same positions.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - NIU1981 - 05-12-2021 11:28 PM

This kid was in the portal less than two weeks so our coaches must have jumped on him immediately. Which seems odd since he's been at three other schools without much to show for it. He also had no 2020 stats. I wish him the best of course, and hope he turns into a monster, but my enthusiasm is tempered at this point. Recall that Woodly Appolon was considered one of the best JUCO safeties when he came to DeKalb.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - BigChilla - 05-13-2021 05:55 AM

Jalen Pinkney is the kids name if anyone else was wondering who the transfer was.

Nice depth fit - he can probably push for snaps on the strong side. Allows O’Malley to be a full time DT, I would think.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - HuskieJ - 05-13-2021 06:26 AM

(05-12-2021 11:28 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  This kid was in the portal less than two weeks so our coaches must have jumped on him immediately. Which seems odd since he's been at three other schools without much to show for it. He also had no 2020 stats. I wish him the best of course, and hope he turns into a monster, but my enthusiasm is tempered at this point. Recall that Woodly Appolon was considered one of the best JUCO safeties when he came to DeKalb.

I think it was a year and 2 weeks. April 2020 was when he went in the portal.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - BigChilla - 05-13-2021 07:13 AM

(05-13-2021 06:26 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  
(05-12-2021 11:28 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  This kid was in the portal less than two weeks so our coaches must have jumped on him immediately. Which seems odd since he's been at three other schools without much to show for it. He also had no 2020 stats. I wish him the best of course, and hope he turns into a monster, but my enthusiasm is tempered at this point. Recall that Woodly Appolon was considered one of the best JUCO safeties when he came to DeKalb.

I think it was a year and 2 weeks. April 2020 was when he went in the portal.

This is correct.

Hammock has done OK this year with recruits and transfers being nice compliments. The TE from ysu, Lombardi, and Ratdog seem to be the 3 who will play most. The other kids will add depth.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - NIU05 - 05-13-2021 08:36 AM

CFB becoming like the NFL in scouting. Now we need to have a BS recruiting system and a Portal team scouting service. The NFL has pro scouts and college scouts.

Surprised and disappointed in Mattox thought be showed flashes where he could play., still young., Hope he finds a spot that fits him well.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - Rabid Squirrel - 05-13-2021 08:55 AM

It seems pretty clear that if you’re a recruit from the previous regime and not a proven commodity you are a lower priority. Hammock wants to develope his recruits. Understandable but I was really curious to see Cole play.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - 7 - 05-13-2021 08:58 AM

https://twitter.com/jtpinkney_44/status/1392624162905145344?s=21

bang

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - HawaiiToNIU - 05-13-2021 09:01 AM

(05-13-2021 08:58 AM)7 Wrote:  https://twitter.com/jtpinkney_44/status/1392624162905145344?s=21

bang

Wow. Upgrayedd. With two Ds for a double dose.

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - BDB5yp - 05-13-2021 05:37 PM

(05-13-2021 09:01 AM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(05-13-2021 08:58 AM)7 Wrote:  https://twitter.com/jtpinkney_44/status/1392624162905145344?s=21

bang

Wow. Upgrayedd. With two Ds for a double dose.

Signed to Vandy straight out of high school. Ended up at JUCO, than signed with UCF. This may be his last landing spot. His highlights remind me of Larry English. He’s got a chip on his shoulder. Let’s Go!!!

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - Chicago_sportsfan - 05-18-2021 09:59 AM

Nope wrong guy fam! I know all of the area guys bro.

You trying too hard

RE: Cam Mattox has entered the portal - Chicago_sportsfan - 05-18-2021 10:02 AM

(05-18-2021 09:59 AM)Chicago_sportsfan Wrote:  

Nope wrong guy fam! I know all of the area guys bro.

You trying too hard

By the way I’m cousins with Garrett Wolfe