CSNbbs
UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials (/thread-921162.html)

UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials - Todor - 04-25-2021 08:41 AM

Desirea Buerge, a graduate student from Webb City, Mo., not only won the discus at the UTSA Roadrunner Invitational with a throw of 58.90m but also qualified for the U.S. Olympic Trials with the throw. As on April 19, her mark ranks first in the WAC, fourth in NCAA Division I, fifth among Americans and 30th in the world.

She is also a good basketball player for the Vaqs.

RGV has had a number of high quality track and field athletes over the past few years and this year is no different. Congrats!

RE: UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials - WACfan86 - 04-26-2021 01:48 AM

Buerge sacrificed basketball to be more successful in Track and Field. She has done well.

RE: UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials - RobtheAggie - 04-26-2021 04:25 AM

Congrats to her!

RE: UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials - PojoaquePosse - 04-27-2021 05:57 PM

Congrats!!

RE: UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials - Todor - 06-19-2021 04:24 PM

Here's an update about Desire a Buerge as she begins the US Olympic Trials in the discus. This article also has a lot of info about Luke Jackson who played nasketball in the 1960's at Pan American College and lead the US Team in scoring versus the USSR and taking the gold in the 64 Olympics. Article directly below is worth a read.

https://goutrgv.com/news/2021/6/16/the-road-to-the-us-olympic-trials-following-in-jacksons-footsteps.aspx

So far, Desirea has advanced to the semifinals. Article below.

https://goutrgv.com/news/2021/6/18/womens-track-field-buerge-advances-to-semifinals-of-us-olympic-trials.aspx

RGV Sports Information is really outstanding, real pros, and they have done a great job of covering her story. RGV Sports Information is the WAC's best IMO.

In another article about the track star, it mentions Jonah Goldberg, who most of us know, and how he also works with athletes like Desirea in the Athletics Mentoring Program.

RE: UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials - TexasTerror - 06-19-2021 08:17 PM

Several athletes from SFA and Sam competing… looks like Sam’s 100m sprinter is into semifinals and the pole vaulter is into finals

RE: UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials - FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 - 06-20-2021 12:25 AM

New Mexico State women's track and field volunteer assistant coach made the Olympics finishing 3rd in the Women's Discus Finals.

RE: UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials - Todor - 06-20-2021 02:14 AM

I'd forgotten all about her and she was way off my radar. I remember several years ago seeing her in some Championship event and being listed as from LC, but I wasn't clear who she was exactly, and I forgot all about her until now.

As things stand, the woman in 2nd at the trials has not met the Olympic qualifying standard, and there is little chance left to meet it.

I appreciate the update! I do enjoy track.

Buerge from RGV finished in 11th.

RE: UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials - edinburger - 06-20-2021 09:53 AM

(06-20-2021 02:14 AM)Todor Wrote:  I'd forgotten all about her and she was way off my radar. I remember several years ago seeing her in some Championship event and being listed as from LC, but I wasn't clear who she was exactly, and I forgot all about her until now.

As things stand, the woman in 2nd at the trials has not met the Olympic qualifying standard, and there is little chance left to meet it.

Surprising how much difference there is in discus. The 1st place was more than 7 meters farther than 2nd place, and more 14 meters farther than Buerge. Seems huge.

RE: UTRGV'S Buerge Qualifies for US Olympic Trials - Todor - 06-21-2021 05:33 AM

(06-20-2021 09:53 AM)edinburger Wrote:  
(06-20-2021 02:14 AM)Todor Wrote:  I'd forgotten all about her and she was way off my radar. I remember several years ago seeing her in some Championship event and being listed as from LC, but I wasn't clear who she was exactly, and I forgot all about her until now.

Surprising how much difference there is in discus. The 1st place was more than 7 meters farther than 2nd place, and more 14 meters farther than Buerge. Seems huge.

That's true, but the throws are much kinder to older athletes than some other events. Even the current/recent college athletes that made the finals, they finished in the last 4 spots. Athletes in their 30's are pretty common among throwers, so its less surprising. And the US is not particularly deep in most throwing events at the world class level.