CSNbbs
Wes Miller - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Wes Miller (/thread-920641.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Wes Miller - nachoman91 - 06-09-2021 07:23 AM

(06-08-2021 08:45 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Its good to have Kenyon on board. I was wondering if he would end up being bitter that Erik Martin didn't get the job.

RE: Wes Miller - cinbinsportsfan - 06-09-2021 08:04 AM

(06-09-2021 07:21 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  
(06-08-2021 08:54 PM)doss2 Wrote:  What exactly does DJ do a Director of Player Development?

Mo Egger has an excellent podcast with Dermarr and he explains the position in great detail.

Dermarr's job is to make these kids better. He's responsible for analyzing their game and putting together workout programs to help them improve. He'll be using game/practice tape as well as hands-on practice time to show them ways to be better players. He's very similar to the strength coach but instead of working to improve their bodies he working to improve their skill set.

The difference between him and an actual assistant coach is that Dermarr is not allowed on the court during games.

Thanks for sharing. Based on his progression from grad assistant and his responsibilities in this role, it seems like he's making the natural climb up the ladder to eventually sit on the bench at some point in the future, be it at UC or elsewhere.

RE: Wes Miller - rath v2.0 - 06-09-2021 08:12 AM

Also important to note...in that role he can’t recruit off campus but he certainly can on campus. He will be fabulous when we have guys on visits.

RE: Wes Miller - OKIcat - 06-09-2021 08:44 AM

Wes has shown both savvy and considerable wisdom in his decision making as he launches his career here as the Bearcats' head coach. He's building bridges with former players by bringing some back into the program and that's been much needed for a long time from what I'm told.

I suspect some of it comes naturally, some from his time at UNCG having already been a head coach for years, and, I hope, maybe even some wise counsel from a Hall of Fame coach who is now a UC season ticket holder. 04-cheers

RE: Wes Miller - robertfoshizzle - 06-09-2021 12:17 PM

(06-09-2021 08:12 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Also important to note...in that role he can’t recruit off campus but he certainly can on campus. He will be fabulous when we have guys on visits.

He can also put Wes and the assistants in touch with any of his AAU/HS connections in the DC area. DerMarr had a really good all-around game, so I like the idea of him in the player development role. He's got a good basketball mind and I think our players will appreciate and benefit from his instruction and knowledge.

RE: Wes Miller - bcat1997 - 06-09-2021 12:48 PM

Sales Pitch: Ranking the American Athletic Conference recruiting jobs in tiers

1. Memphis
2. Houston/Cincinnati

Under Mick Cronin, Cincinnati was one of the most consistent programs in college basketball. The Bearcats finished in the top three of the AAC standings every year under Cronin, winning two regular-season titles and reaching the NCAA tournament all six seasons Cronin coached in the American.

Since Cronin left, it hasn't quite been the same. John Brannen won 20 games in 2020, but was fired this spring following an internal investigation into the program. New head coach Wes Miller is walking into a pretty good situation, though; Cincinnati still has outstanding history and tradition, great fan support and a pretty strong brand in the Midwest.

New coach Wes Miller walks into a good recruiting situation at Cincinnati.
"I think it's their brand and their commitment to facilities," one coach said. "They probably have the best 'athletic village' setup in our league. Nobody has the setup that they do in our league, as far as football, baseball, everything. They've done a great job as an athletic department in terms of putting a really nice product together for all their sports. You get a kid on campus, you have the ability to raise some eyebrows."

One thing that sometimes makes it difficult to gauge where Cincinnati stacks up as a recruiting program is that Cronin rarely went after a slew of top-100-caliber prospects. He pursued a certain type of player, one that fit his system at both ends of the floor.

"Mick Cronin was never landing 'dudes.' He was getting blue-collar, nasty, three-star guys. It's not like [former AAC player of the Year Jarron] Cumberland was the No. 1 player in the country," one coach said. "They kept finding Mick Cronin-type guys that fit him and made it easy. I think Wes is terrific. We'll see what direction he goes."

The Bearcats' location in the middle of several college basketball powerhouses can pose problems on the recruiting trail, although Cronin consistently went to the Northeast to take a few players and Miller might have to do something similar.

"There's so many kids in the Midwest. Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana. Cincinnati does yeoman's work in that part of the world," an AAC coach said. "It's such a powerful brand. They've done a great job of getting kids off the East Coast. And now Wes Miller is so beloved in the state of North Carolina, he can run to Carolina and get some things done.

"But Cincinnati, anywhere you look -- east, west, north south -- programs have gotten it going," the coach continued. "Xavier is in their own city, so you're not even the local school. You don't even get a Cincinnati kid without a local fight. That makes it tough for both programs. Both have had such awesome recent successes, but you don't even get to dominate your city."

RE: Wes Miller - Billy_Bearcat - 06-09-2021 01:05 PM

Which is why we need to kick Eggs out of town

RE: Wes Miller - nachoman91 - 06-09-2021 01:08 PM

(06-09-2021 12:48 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  "Mick Cronin was never landing 'dudes."

Thus a major part of the reason UC couldn't advance consistently in the NCAA tourney.

Hopefully Wes can change that.

RE: Wes Miller - robertfoshizzle - 06-09-2021 01:39 PM

(06-09-2021 01:08 PM)nachoman91 Wrote:  
(06-09-2021 12:48 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  "Mick Cronin was never landing 'dudes."

Thus a major part of the reason UC couldn't advance consistently in the NCAA tourney.

Hopefully Wes can change that.

Agreed. We don't necessarily need 5-stars or one-and-done players, but we do need to consistently land guys in the 50-150 range if we're going to get out of the first weekend on a regular basis. Also have to be able to land the high-level guys in the transfer portal when given the opportunity. If you look at Baylor's recruiting leading up to their championship run, they weren't landing blue chip recruits. But every year, they get multiple guys in the high 3-star to 4-star range and also bring in impact transfers like Teague, Flagler, and Tchamwa Tchatchoua.

RE: Wes Miller - RealDeal - 06-09-2021 01:40 PM

(06-09-2021 12:48 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  Sales Pitch: Ranking the American Athletic Conference recruiting jobs in tiers

1. Memphis
2. Houston/Cincinnati

Under Mick Cronin, Cincinnati was one of the most consistent programs in college basketball. The Bearcats finished in the top three of the AAC standings every year under Cronin, winning two regular-season titles and reaching the NCAA tournament all six seasons Cronin coached in the American.

Since Cronin left, it hasn't quite been the same. John Brannen won 20 games in 2020, but was fired this spring following an internal investigation into the program. New head coach Wes Miller is walking into a pretty good situation, though; Cincinnati still has outstanding history and tradition, great fan support and a pretty strong brand in the Midwest.

"I think it's their brand and their commitment to facilities," one coach said. "They probably have the best 'athletic village' setup in our league. Nobody has the setup that they do in our league, as far as football, baseball, everything. They've done a great job as an athletic department in terms of putting a really nice product together for all their sports. You get a kid on campus, you have the ability to raise some eyebrows."

One thing that sometimes makes it difficult to gauge where Cincinnati stacks up as a recruiting program is that Cronin rarely went after a slew of top-100-caliber prospects. He pursued a certain type of player, one that fit his system at both ends of the floor.

"Mick Cronin was never landing 'dudes.' He was getting blue-collar, nasty, three-star guys. It's not like [former AAC player of the Year Jarron] Cumberland was the No. 1 player in the country," one coach said. "They kept finding Mick Cronin-type guys that fit him and made it easy. I think Wes is terrific. We'll see what direction he goes."

The Bearcats' location in the middle of several college basketball powerhouses can pose problems on the recruiting trail, although Cronin consistently went to the Northeast to take a few players and Miller might have to do something similar.

"There's so many kids in the Midwest. Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana. Cincinnati does yeoman's work in that part of the world," an AAC coach said. "It's such a powerful brand. They've done a great job of getting kids off the East Coast. And now Wes Miller is so beloved in the state of North Carolina, he can run to Carolina and get some things done.

"But Cincinnati, anywhere you look -- east, west, north south -- programs have gotten it going," the coach continued. "Xavier is in their own city, so you're not even the local school. You don't even get a Cincinnati kid without a local fight. That makes it tough for both programs. Both have had such awesome recent successes, but you don't even get to dominate your city."

That's mostly fair. Memphis has a bunch of money due to Fed Ex and plays in an NBA facility but my biased opinion is I'd take our tradition and on campus atmosphere before I'd take the Fed Ex money. And saying we're not the local school doesn't really represent the market. When the unscientific fan fan poll is done around here UC dominates and normally more identify UK as their favorite bball team X.

The Cronin thing was debated here enough but as it relates to recruiting early on he was identifying and getting players on campus despite awful facilities and no recent success. When we got the facilities and were an annual tournament team I wish he had gone back into the top HS market but he didn't and we could argue why forever. There's no doubt in my mind looking at the staff he's put together we're going to identify and get good HS talent on campus and when they see the campus and gameday atmosphere we're going to close with good players.

It'd be nice if we had Fed Ex or Fertitta but I'll take Wes' personality and one of the best on campus atmosphere's in America vs. cash.

RE: Wes Miller - bearcatmark - 06-09-2021 01:42 PM

(06-09-2021 01:40 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  
(06-09-2021 12:48 PM)bcat1997 Wrote:  Sales Pitch: Ranking the American Athletic Conference recruiting jobs in tiers

1. Memphis
2. Houston/Cincinnati

That's mostly fair. Memphis has a bunch of money due to Fed Ex and plays in an NBA facility but my biased opinion is I'd take our tradition and on campus atmosphere before I'd take the Fed Ex money. And saying we're not the local school doesn't really represent the market. When the unscientific fan fan poll is done around here UC dominates and normally more identify UK as their favorite bball team X.

The Cronin thing was debated here enough but as it relates to recruiting early on he was identifying and getting players on campus despite awful facilities and no recent success. When we got the facilities and were an annual tournament team I wish he had gone back into the top HS market but he didn't and we could argue why forever. There's no doubt in my mind looking at the staff he's put together we're going to identify and get good HS talent on campus and when they see the campus and gameday atmosphere we're going to close with good players.

It'd be nice if we had Fed Ex or Fertitta but I'll take Wes' personality and one of the best on campus atmosphere's in America vs. cash.

Cronin recruited well here until he had one foot out the door. Up through the Jarron class he was recruiting at a high level. People didn't give him enough credit for his recruiting most his time here.

RE: Wes Miller - robertfoshizzle - 06-09-2021 01:50 PM

(06-09-2021 01:42 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(06-09-2021 01:40 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  

1. Memphis
2. Houston/Cincinnati

Cronin recruited well here until he had one foot out the door. Up through the Jarron class he was recruiting at a high level. People didn't give him enough credit for his recruiting most his time here.

True. The 2018 and 2019 classes (before he left) were pretty pitiful. But he did a good job from 2013-2016, and also brought in some dudes during the Big East days when we weren't all that attractive to recruits. 2017 he got Keith, but the rest of the class was raw prospects and off-the-radar guys.

RE: Wes Miller - RealDeal - 06-09-2021 02:14 PM

(06-09-2021 01:42 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Cronin recruited well here until he had one foot out the door. Up through the Jarron class he was recruiting at a high level. People didn't give him enough credit for his recruiting most his time here.
Without going through year by year it felt like there was a gap between the Cash/Yancy/SK classes and the run that got us to consecutive 30 win seasons with the Troy-Jarron classes. I guess the gap can't be as long as it felt since SK played with Troy as a 5th yr senior. I don't remember much in between there. But we all agree he didn't recruit as well when he started to feel unhappy here.

RE: Wes Miller - bearcatmark - 06-09-2021 02:27 PM

(06-09-2021 02:14 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  
(06-09-2021 01:42 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Cronin recruited well here until he had one foot out the door. Up through the Jarron class he was recruiting at a high level. People didn't give him enough credit for his recruiting most his time here.
Without going through year by year it felt like there was a gap between the Cash/Yancy/SK classes and the run that got us to consecutive 30 win seasons with the Troy-Jarron classes. I guess the gap can't be as long as it felt since SK played with Troy as a 5th yr senior. I don't remember much in between there. But we all agree he didn't recruit as well when he started to feel unhappy here.

He had a couple year period where his higher recruits did not pan out prior to the Caupain class. He was able to salvage it as SK was that damn good and then he came through with a killer stop gap class when he brought in Gary Clark as a frosh and nailed 3 juco transfers with Ellis, DeBerry and Cobb (also missed on Morman/Moore but you'll miss some with a class that big).

RE: Wes Miller - BearcatMan - 06-09-2021 03:17 PM

(06-09-2021 02:27 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

He had a couple year period where his higher recruits did not pan out prior to the Caupain class. He was able to salvage it as SK was that damn good and then he came through with a killer stop gap class when he brought in Gary Clark as a frosh and nailed 3 juco transfers with Ellis, DeBerry and Cobb (also missed on Morman/Moore but you'll miss some with a class that big).

God has there ever been a bigger Game Film Fabio than DeShaun Mormon? That kid looked like he was going to be the next big thing and played, what, 5 minutes for us before transferring down the divisional waterway?

RE: Wes Miller - OKIcat - 06-09-2021 03:32 PM

1. Memphis
2. Houston/Cincinnati

Interesting write-up, overall. Bolded is nonsense though. Most of the 10,000 X fans in town are in Cintas for games; UC fans outnumber them by multiples, locally and nationally.

If this writer believes Memphis is the American's top tier and UC and Houston are on the next level, a case can be made for that in a very myopic view. Give Wes a couple of years and I think Cincinnati will continue as the class of this league.

RE: Wes Miller - Captain Bearcat - 06-09-2021 04:10 PM

They are right that Memphis & Houston don't have much competition for local recruits.

For Memphis, their only competition within 150 miles is Ole Miss. Within 300 miles, their competition is just Ole Miss, MSU, Vanderbilt, and Alabama.

Houston is the only big-time program in a city of 7 million. Within 250 miles, the only other schools are Texas A&M, Texas, and Baylor.

UC faces more local competition just from Butler, Xavier, and Dayton. That's not even counting Kentucky, Louisville, Indiana, and Ohio State - all of which are within 125 miles of UC and are way better programs than anyone within 300 miles of Memphis or Houston.

RE: Wes Miller - namrag - 06-09-2021 04:11 PM

(06-09-2021 03:17 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

God has there ever been a bigger Game Film Fabio than DeShaun Mormon? That kid looked like he was going to be the next big thing and played, what, 5 minutes for us before transferring down the divisional waterway?

I honestly don’t remember him....

RE: Wes Miller - doss2 - 06-09-2021 05:08 PM

Man but The Big Q (Moore) hung 16 on Tulane to save UC.

RE: Wes Miller - rath v2.0 - 06-09-2021 08:58 PM

(06-09-2021 03:17 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Vincent Banks is on line #1.03-lmfao