CSNbbs
Hiring the next hoops coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Hiring the next hoops coach (/thread-920387.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - BigDawg - 04-12-2021 10:47 AM

I wasn't sure of Gates, but if you hear him in interviews, he comes off very well in interviews and he turned around a perennial bottom dweller quickly. Was a huge recruiter for FSU pulling in some big fish. I've become pretty excited for him and he has been a guy that others have looked at as well.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - uchoops - 04-12-2021 10:56 AM

(04-12-2021 09:40 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  I think people are lukewarm on Martin because deep down some people realize that Huggs doesn't have an impressive record of grooming/mentoring assistants that become successful head coaches during his 40 years of being a head coach.

Let’s see...Cronin-final 4.....Frank Martin-final 4....Kennedy...had the best success at Miss they arguably ever had
I think Huggs assistants have done quite well

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - bearcatdp - 04-12-2021 11:02 AM

I don't think much will come out of Clifton on this hire until someone is in the verge of being hired. Maybe things will leak from candidates but this Athletic Department seems pretty tight lipped about things. My point - silence about a specific candidate means nothing right now.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Kenyon#4 - 04-12-2021 11:39 AM

(04-12-2021 09:43 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’d be fine with Martin if he had the resume or we were forced to make a high risk gamble hire. He doesn’t and we aren’t.

Yep. At this point I don't have much confidence that Cunningham is going to make a hire that will put the program in a better position, or at least try to salvage something out of this mess. To date this entire situation has been handled badly, regardless of what side your on.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - dsquare - 04-12-2021 11:52 AM

(04-12-2021 11:39 AM)Kenyon#4 Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 09:43 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’d be fine with Martin if he had the resume or we were forced to make a high risk gamble hire. He doesn’t and we aren’t.

Yep. At this point I don't have much confidence that Cunningham is going to make a hire that will put the program in a better position, or at least try to salvage something out of this mess. To date this entire situation has been handled badly, regardless of what side your on.

The "situation" goes above Cunningham's level. He's just the guy who is going to have to take all the heat. Don't believe what you hear on the radio and twitter. They're tight lipped about this for the same reason they are on all personnel matters, and that will not change. They let him go for cause, and that's all you will hear unless it's litigated. These guys who do the radio and tv around here are either 1. incompetent on legal matters 2. have a bias against Uc or 3. are friends of the ex coach(or a combination of these). Uc is not going to release detailed info. on personnel matters, nor does any company who has any sort of competent legal representation.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - bearcatmark - 04-12-2021 11:53 AM

(04-12-2021 11:52 AM)dsquare Wrote:  

The "situation" goes above Cunningham's level. He's just the guy who is going to have to take all the heat. Don't believe what you hear on the radio and twitter. They're tight lipped about this for the same reason they are on all personnel matters, and that will not change. They let him go for cause, and that's all you will hear unless it's litigated. These guys who do the radio and tv around here are either 1. incompetent on legal matters 2. have a bias against Uc or 3. are friends of the ex coach(or a combination of these). Uc is not going to release detailed info. on personnel matters, nor does any company who has any sort of competent legal representation.

Well Said.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Former Lurker - 04-12-2021 11:57 AM

(04-12-2021 11:53 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

Well Said.

How do you keep the cause for termination private in the Age of Twitter when the witnesses are multiple 18-22 yo college kids? If there really were good cause for termination it would be odd for it not to leak out through hearsay.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Captain Bearcat - 04-12-2021 12:02 PM

That's baloney. Reporters are reporting one side because UC is refusing to defend itself.

That's what reporters do: they run with any juicy information they're given. UC needs to release their own juicy information.

UC can say something without making a formal press release. Arrange a "leak." Other schools do it all the time.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - bearcatmark - 04-12-2021 12:09 PM

(04-12-2021 12:02 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

That's baloney. Reporters are reporting one side because UC is refusing to defend itself.

That's what reporters do: they run with any juicy information they're given. UC needs to release their own juicy information.

UC can say something without making a formal press release. Arrange a "leak." Other schools do it all the time.
Why?

That seems like bad legal strategy. Losing a short term PR battle is inconsequential. UC's job is to try to get the best settlement and if that doesn't work have laid out the best possible for cause case if Brannen ultimately files in court. Leaking information gains you nothing other than maybe some short term good publicity. Trash Brannen publicly it hurts your chances of settlement and it could hurt you in court. They need to Keep handling it professionally.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - dsquare - 04-12-2021 12:12 PM

(04-12-2021 12:02 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

That's exactly what legal counsel advises you not to do. Particularly a state institution.

Anybody who runs a business would be advised the same.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - dsquare - 04-12-2021 12:18 PM

(04-12-2021 11:57 AM)Former Lurker Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 11:53 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

Well Said.

How do you keep the cause for termination private in the Age of Twitter when the witnesses are multiple 18-22 yo college kids? If there really were good cause for termination it would be odd for it not to leak out through hearsay.

That has nothing to do with a party to the contract keeping their findings and actions confidential. Players, media, bad and biased tv and radio guys all are not parties to the contract. Time and a place for the facts and any good legal representation will play it as such.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - uchoops - 04-12-2021 12:33 PM

Friend who is a UCat said he heard it’s Martin

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - bearcatmark - 04-12-2021 12:36 PM

(04-12-2021 12:33 PM)uchoops Wrote:  Friend who is a UCat said he heard it’s Martin

Chad just posted white smoke on twitter.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - s10bball - 04-12-2021 12:36 PM

Chad just posted on Twitter a gif of 2 smokestacks. Does this mean coach well be named soon.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - crex043 - 04-12-2021 12:42 PM

(04-12-2021 12:36 PM)s10bball Wrote:  Chad just posted on Twitter a gif of 2 smokestacks. Does this mean coach well be named soon.

Pope John Francis II confirmed as next head coach. Bringing Dennis Schnurr on staff as head recruiter. We'll finally dominate the GCL pipeline.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - doss2 - 04-12-2021 12:45 PM

Tony Yates 2.0

I see it in 3 years: MARTIN/WYLER JEEP on RT. 28 innnn Milllford!

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - uchoops - 04-12-2021 12:48 PM

(04-12-2021 12:45 PM)doss2 Wrote:  Tony Yates 2.0

Way to welcome one of our own back home..classy

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Former Lurker - 04-12-2021 12:48 PM

(04-12-2021 12:45 PM)doss2 Wrote:  Tony Yates 2.0

What a disaster if true. It is hard to take UC seriously as a high major program if WVU's #2 assistant is the hire.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - BearcatMan - 04-12-2021 12:49 PM

Hope he has a guy on staff who has actually had to make an in-game coaching decision before...and not NVE wondering what he should get for dinner in Ft. Wayne after watching his G-League team run around with no organization for 48 minutes.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - dsquare - 04-12-2021 12:50 PM

You get some idea of the media in this town Sag and Willie on 700 are currently reporting right now they're talking to Savino. No words.