CSNbbs
ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue (/thread-920314.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - random asian guy - 04-08-2021 12:33 PM

It looks like Phillips is open to every option to raise the revenue and catch up with the SEC and the BIG according to this article:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31114147/new-acc-commissioner-jim-phillips-faces-big-challenges-easy-answers

Barring a major expansion, which I don’t think will happen for a foreseeable future, his options are limited to:

More conference games
Divisonal realignment
Scrapping divisions

What do you think he will do? I think he is going to push for nine conference games. That would be much easier than realignment divisions.

I do want to see VT/UVa rotate Louisville/BC so that VT can play Louisville and BC every other year instead of playing BC every year.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - TexanMark - 04-08-2021 01:09 PM

He needs to scrap the divisions for sure

Go to a 3+5 or 5 schedule
(Every team has 3 annual rivals, the other 10 teams get played twice every four years)

Louisville, GaTech and Clemson keep their OOC. That leaves 11 schools. Do 5 in conference games. The extra will be a team that is hosting Notre Dame that year.

Keep it at officially 8 conference games but for TV it appears like 9 conference games

I guesstimate this might bring each team an extra $3-4M in TV revenue and maybe higher ticket sales included in that.

We are never catching up to the SEC/B1G...just need to stay in 3rd place TV wise

I hope he is consulting Cuse AD, John Wildhack.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - Statefan - 04-08-2021 01:16 PM

The rest of the NCAA has to approve no divisions. In the current make-up no one in the Coastal wants a change they get the better away games for recruiting Va, Pa, and Georgia - vs Mass, NY, Kentucky, and SC, and most years can miss Clemson.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - TexanMark - 04-08-2021 01:24 PM

(04-08-2021 01:16 PM)Statefan Wrote:  The rest of the NCAA has to approve no divisions. In the current make-up no one in the Coastal wants a change they get the better away games for recruiting Va, Pa, and Georgia - vs Mass, NY, Kentucky, and SC, and most years can miss Clemson.

Agreed but Phillips needs to get the B1G to go along and the Coastal teams need to realize a change needs to be made

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - JRsec - 04-08-2021 01:39 PM

(04-08-2021 01:24 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(04-08-2021 01:16 PM)Statefan Wrote:  The rest of the NCAA has to approve no divisions. In the current make-up no one in the Coastal wants a change they get the better away games for recruiting Va, Pa, and Georgia - vs Mass, NY, Kentucky, and SC, and most years can miss Clemson.

Agreed but Phillips needs to get the B1G to go along and the Coastal teams need to realize a change needs to be made

As long as CCG's remain who cares about divisions. The SEC would be better off without them as well. The Big 12 will likely balk because nobody initially supported their decision to ask to go division-less. The PAC 12??? But the Big 10 like the ACC and SEC would benefit from it. So if the PAC says yes it will pass. If not it won't.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - esayem - 04-08-2021 02:11 PM

What would happen if the ACC just got rid of divisions and held a title game? The playoffs aren’t sponsored by the NCAA anyway. Neither are bowl games. Would the ACC be kicked out? I’d just call their bluff.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - TexanMark - 04-08-2021 02:11 PM

(04-08-2021 01:39 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

As long as CCG's remain who cares about divisions. The SEC would be better off without them as well. The Big 12 will likely balk because nobody initially supported their decision to ask to go division-less. The PAC 12??? But the Big 10 like the ACC and SEC would benefit from it. So if the PAC says yes it will pass. If not it won't.

How does voting work again?

P5 leagues have higher standing than the G5 leagues? Right...

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - JRsec - 04-08-2021 02:19 PM

(04-08-2021 02:11 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

How does voting work again?

P5 leagues have higher standing than the G5 leagues? Right...

It depends. Some matters are voted on by the entire body and some by only the P5. I believe structure falls under a P5 only matter as it pertains to football. And I think it takes 4 of 5 to pass (though I may be wrong about that) as I don't remember a 3 of 5 vote on anything. But, and I'm not showing hubris, I don't think anything that has been proposed has failed when both the Big 10 and SEC supported it. Going without divisions (as long as CCG's remain) should pass, unless the CCG part is what requires both G5 and P5 support. I'm sorry if that explanation seemed a bit like kicking a can down the road. Autonomy only applies to issues which are unique to P5 decision making. I'm not sure if having CCG's, since it was a rule lifted from FCS bylaws by Roy Kramer, fits the bill of "Autonomy."

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - CliftonAve - 04-08-2021 02:51 PM

Sounds to me we are are just headed to the Big Three System: B10 and SEC swallow up the ACC and the merger of the PAC12/BXII. Divisions to be drawn up on geographic and in rare cases historic lines.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - Fighting Muskie - 04-08-2021 03:32 PM

(04-08-2021 02:51 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Sounds to me we are are just headed to the Big Three System: B10 and SEC swallow up the ACC and the merger of the PAC12/BXII. Divisions to be drawn up on geographic and in rare cases historic lines.

For that to happen, the PAC 12-Big 12 pseudo-merger would have to take place in 2024. If it doesn’t and Texas and/or Oklahoma move to the Big Ten/SEC, we are looking at a much different dynamic.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - ken d - 04-08-2021 04:17 PM

(04-08-2021 12:33 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  It looks like Phillips is open to every option to raise the revenue and catch up with the SEC and the BIG according to this article:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31114147/new-acc-commissioner-jim-phillips-faces-big-challenges-easy-answers

Barring a major expansion, which I don’t think will happen for a foreseeable future, his options are limited to:

More conference games
Divisional realignment
Scrapping divisions

What do you think he will do? I think he is going to push for nine conference games. That would be much easier than realignment divisions.

I do want to see VT/UVa rotate Louisville/BC so that VT can play Louisville and BC every other year instead of playing BC every year.

How would division realignment or eliminating divisions increase the ACC's media revenue?

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - nole - 04-08-2021 04:17 PM

when it comes to revenue, divisions and # of conference games is simply rearranging chairs on the deck of the titanic.

Big Ten $54 Million a year per team
ACC $27 Million a year per team

How wide does the gap have to grow before folks see that adding a Wake Forest/ Duke football game for the 9th ACC game of the year doesn't put a dent in that?

New Commish better be thinking MUC bigger than that.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - Wahoowa84 - 04-08-2021 06:02 PM

First priority is to scrap division. We need to schedule more meaningful games (Clemson-Miami, FSU-GT), more frequently. We also need to improve the value of the championship game. This past season’s schedule was more compelling.

I also wonder how to encourage giving more preference to conference champions in the CFP selection. The BIG and PAC seem supportive, but the ACC could also be a beneficiary.

Adding a ninth conference game should only be considered if ESPN pays substantially more, and the ND contests count in conference standings.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - ken d - 04-08-2021 07:27 PM

(04-08-2021 06:02 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  First priority is to scrap division. We need to schedule more meaningful games (Clemson-Miami, FSU-GT), more frequently. We also need to improve the value of the championship game. This past season’s schedule was more compelling.

I also wonder how to encourage giving more preference to conference champions in the CFP selection. The BIG and PAC seem supportive, but the ACC could also be a beneficiary.

Adding a ninth conference game should only be considered if ESPN pays substantially more, and the ND contests count in conference standings.

The only thing that's going to improve the value of the CCG is to have two national championship contenders on a regular basis. The commissioner can't do much about that if the individual schools don't improve.

But no matter what the commissioner might do, there is no way the ACC is going to come close to SEC or B1G media money. That gap is just too big to overcome.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - Hokie Mark - 04-08-2021 07:50 PM

ACC + B1G + SEC together have more than enough votes to get this passed. Honestly, ACC + SEC + any other P5 conference is sufficient.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - Hokie Mark - 04-08-2021 07:57 PM

(04-08-2021 04:17 PM)ken d Wrote:  How would division realignment or eliminating divisions increase the ACC's media revenue?

The deal for ESPN is this: ACC guarantees more Clemson-Miami, Clemson-VT, FSU-GT, and FSU-UNC games, fewer Clemson-Syracuse and FSU-BC games, more Miami vs. Syracuse and BC, and a conference championship game featuring, not the winners of 2 usually unequal divisions, but rather, the 2 best teams in the conference, period. Now, maybe toss in an agreement to play 10 P5 games per year as well (8 ACC + 2 P5 OOC, but might include some ACC-as-OOC on occasion)... find out how much extra $$$ the Mouse is willing to pay for those schedule upgrades (I'm thinking the previous guess of around $3M per school is close).

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - ChrisLords - 04-08-2021 09:22 PM

(04-08-2021 07:57 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-08-2021 04:17 PM)ken d Wrote:  How would division realignment or eliminating divisions increase the ACC's media revenue?

The deal for ESPN is this: ACC guarantees more Clemson-Miami, Clemson-VT, FSU-GT, and FSU-UNC games, fewer Clemson-Syracuse and FSU-BC games, more Miami vs. Syracuse and BC, and a conference championship game featuring, not the winners of 2 usually unequal divisions, but rather, the 2 best teams in the conference, period. Now, maybe toss in an agreement to play 10 P5 games per year as well (8 ACC + 2 P5 OOC, but might include some ACC-as-OOC on occasion)... find out how much extra $$$ the Mouse is willing to pay for those schedule upgrades (I'm thinking the previous guess of around $3M per school is close).

I think a 10 P5 game guarantee with 8 ACC + 2 P5 is much more agreeable than 9 ACC games + 1 P5 OOC. Each school trying to schedule 2 attractive OOC match ups is much better than another ACC game.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - ChrisLords - 04-08-2021 10:50 PM

(04-08-2021 04:17 PM)nole Wrote:  when it comes to revenue, divisions and # of conference games is simply rearranging chairs on the deck of the titanic.

Big Ten $54 Million a year per team
ACC $27 Million a year per team

How wide does the gap have to grow before folks see that adding a Wake Forest/ Duke football game for the 9th ACC game of the year doesn't put a dent in that?

New Commish better be thinking MUC bigger than that.

I don't think there's much more the ACC commissioner can do. The reason we haven't gone to 9 conference games before is it wasn't worth the $3 million per school that would replace what football schools get from a marquee OOC game.

The way VT is scheduling now, I'd welcome another ACC game. Our OOC football scheduling has been atrocious under Whit Babcock.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - domer1978 - 04-09-2021 12:01 AM

Not much too do really. Swoffy was a bad commissioner, who signed a awful contract until 2036.

Hope ESPN feels pity and throws more money at the ACC. But at least the Pac is in a crappy boat also due to horrible leadership.

RE: ACC commisioner looking to increase the revenue - cuseroc - 04-09-2021 06:37 AM

(04-08-2021 07:57 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Clemson/SU is a pretty good game when Syracuse is good. Guess which was the top rated regular season tv game for the ACC in 2018 and I believe in 2017. I admit that it hasnt been very often that SU has been good since its been in the ACC.