CSNbbs
Rodney Terry - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-978.html)
+------ Thread: Rodney Terry (/thread-920185.html)

Rodney Terry - bricksnivy - 04-06-2021 11:22 AM

After three seasons as head men’s basketball coach at UTEP, Rodney Terry is leaving his post to become an assistant coach at Texas under new Longhorns head coach Chris Beard.

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-sports/utep/rodney-terry-to-join-chris-beards-staff-at-texas-utep-left-searching-for-head-coach/

RE: Rodney Terry - Seahawk Nation 08 - 04-06-2021 11:32 AM

Interesting. He's been a HC the last 10 years, spending only 3 years at UTEP. He had recently taken a pay cut, but prior to that his contract was extended to run through the 2023-24 season. I also see that he lost 9 combined players to the transfer portal over the last 2 seasons.

I'm curious how this happened. Was it a mutual parting of ways with UTEP? Did Texas buy him out? Or was that unnecessary given that Terry essentially stepped down with this move?

Best of luck to Coach Terry! He's a fantastic assistant coach but he also had a lot of good years as a HC, so I hope he gets a shot once again.

RE: Rodney Terry - Seahawkhoops - 04-06-2021 11:34 AM

(04-06-2021 11:22 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  After three seasons as head men’s basketball coach at UTEP, Rodney Terry is leaving his post to become an assistant coach at Texas under new Longhorns head coach Chris Beard.

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-sports/utep/rodney-terry-to-join-chris-beards-staff-at-texas-utep-left-searching-for-head-coach/

Funny to see the coaching world churn, and it's connections to the CAA. Former CAA coach out...... Former assistant coach in CAA in.

RE: Rodney Terry - bricksnivy - 04-06-2021 11:45 AM

(04-06-2021 11:32 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Interesting. He's been a HC the last 10 years, spending only 3 years at UTEP. He had recently taken a pay cut, but prior to that his contract was extended to run through the 2023-24 season. I also see that he lost 9 combined players to the transfer portal over the last 2 seasons.

I'm curious how this happened. Was it a mutual parting of ways with UTEP? Did Texas buy him out? Or was that unnecessary given that Terry essentially stepped down with this move?

Best of luck to Coach Terry! He's a fantastic assistant coach but he also had a lot of good years as a HC, so I hope he gets a shot once again.

Scanning Twitter, the fan reaction is that this is a good move for Terry and UTEP basketball. Terry is the highest paid university employee at UTEP and the program can't afford to buy him out. But, at $725K, they're assuming he'll get a bump to return to Austin.

I really liked Terry at UNCW. I know he also had the health concern last year, so maybe 1st chair wasn't right for him, IDK. Beard has a good staff at Texas, so hopefully this will be a good move for Terry.

RE: Rodney Terry - Seahawkhoops - 04-13-2021 07:55 AM

(04-06-2021 11:45 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(04-06-2021 11:32 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Interesting. He's been a HC the last 10 years, spending only 3 years at UTEP. He had recently taken a pay cut, but prior to that his contract was extended to run through the 2023-24 season. I also see that he lost 9 combined players to the transfer portal over the last 2 seasons.

Scanning Twitter, the fan reaction is that this is a good move for Terry and UTEP basketball. Terry is the highest paid university employee at UTEP and the program can't afford to buy him out. But, at $725K, they're assuming he'll get a bump to return to Austin.

I really liked Terry at UNCW. I know he also had the health concern last year, so maybe 1st chair wasn't right for him, IDK. Beard has a good staff at Texas, so hopefully this will be a good move for Terry.

I read the other day that Dooley was considering going back to KU as an assistant. Seems crazy doesn't it?

RE: Rodney Terry - bricksnivy - 04-13-2021 08:26 AM

(04-13-2021 07:55 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

I read the other day that Dooley was considering going back to KU as an assistant. Seems crazy doesn't it?

It's not that these guys can't coach, but when you get get away from the P5 conferences, it is hard to recruit at an elite level consistently. This is just anecdotal, but I look at WFU and it takes a lot of luck....look at their success the past 25 years and it's a surprise in Tim Duncan or Josh Howard, or Chris Paul in your back yard. Wainwright's success here was directly related to Blizzard. Now, at places like ECU/UTEP, if you find a DUDE, you become a stepping stone. The landscape is changing and they can make equal pay, reduce stress and be the benefactor of the changing landscape.

RE: Rodney Terry - solohawks - 04-13-2021 08:32 AM

Its insane that a P5 assistant can make more than a head coach of strong mid major program with tradition

RE: Rodney Terry - Seahawkhoops - 04-13-2021 08:32 AM

(04-13-2021 08:26 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(04-13-2021 07:55 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

It's not that these guys can't coach, but when you get get away from the P5 conferences, it is hard to recruit at an elite level consistently. This is just anecdotal, but I look at WFU and it takes a lot of luck....look at their success the past 25 years and it's a surprise in Tim Duncan or Josh Howard, or Chris Paul in your back yard. Wainwright's success here was directly related to Blizzard. Now, at places like ECU/UTEP, if you find a DUDE, you become a stepping stone. The landscape is changing and they can make equal pay, reduce stress and be the benefactor of the changing landscape.
yeah, that's fair. Maybe being a HC is just not what he thought too i guess.