CSNbbs
If the AAC drops one member - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: If the AAC drops one member (/thread-920175.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: If the AAC drops one member - e-parade - 04-09-2021 09:12 AM

A poll was referenced but not linked (2014 Pew), I didn't find that one in my quick search, but I found a more recent one from Gallup (2019): https://news.gallup.com/poll/261680/americans-believe-creationism.aspx

To no one's surprise, it lines up best with people who are religious vs. people who are not. Though, oddly, there are still somehow 14% of non-religious people who believe in pure creationism. Would be great to be able to talk with some of them to see how those views came up.

But one thing that's important here on the second chart: it's not just the college presidents you'd need to convince. When combined from the two categories, 73% of college educated adults believe in evolution. While it's true that more often people who have college degrees tend to be more liberal, 73% would stretch beyond that and also include quite a number of conservatives. To say it's simply a "liberal bias" is a bit much. If you want to say it's a bias against religious teachings, then that would be more accurate. Most colleges and universities that aren't specific religious institutions (baptist, evangelical, etc.) are always going to be wary to get involved with specific religious teachings because then it could end up showing preference for one religion over another. Even looking at the charts on the poll you'll see a drastic difference in how Protestants and Catholics see this (Protestants are 56% for Creationism and Catholics are only 34%).

Associating with teachings from a specific religion might just be too much for some, since it could turn off prospective students of other faiths (and of no faiths).

Dammit I didn't want this to be the first post on a new page.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - UTEPDallas - 04-09-2021 09:19 AM

(04-09-2021 06:03 AM)army56mike Wrote:  
(04-08-2021 11:10 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  Liberty will always be under the Falwells shadow and have a perception issue The only thing they can do is deal with the cards they have: FBS independence and the A-Sun for other sports since no FBS conference or conferences like the Big East, A-10 and MVC would associate with them.

You do realize that Liberty is already a member of the Big East in one sport don’t you? Though we don’t have full membership in other conferences, we certainly don’t have an issue associating with other conferences. We regularly schedule with the ACC and SEC with no problem. We have multi-year home/away visits from many ACC teams. Independence works well for us. I don’t believe you will hear a fan or administration complain otherwise. Sure if the right conference situation came along we’d listen, but for now, we are content and thriving where we are. Independence/ASUN are a great place for us.

Boise State is a Pac-12 member for wrestling and we all know the Pac-12 would never admit Boise State as a full member. Kentucky and South Carolina are C-USA members for men’s soccer and no one would mistake those schools as Pac-12 and C-USA schools. Liberty might be a Big East member for one sport but make no mistake, the Big East will not invite Liberty for full membership. .

RE: If the AAC drops one member - NJMark - 04-09-2021 09:38 AM

(04-09-2021 01:14 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(04-08-2021 08:40 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  I 100% agree with your sentiment, Foreverandever. That is what true liberty is all about. From the Liberty camp, we are all in on the freedom of choice.

Where I disagree with you is in regard to the suggestion in your third sentence that Liberty uses "'religion' to exclude and promote the persecution of others." That is not a fair representation of Liberty's position even though it is a common misconception. I will grant you some argument on exclusion as it relates to faculty but promotion of the persecution of others is hyperbole and flat out inaccurate. But I respect your take even if I disagree.

Many students at Liberty's campus would disagree with you and I don't mean the ones who violate the "honor code" but the ones who gleefully sign up for it because it excludes those people and positions them as less than.

That's why Liberty will never be invited. Perhaps you're right and that's not what Liberty is about, but their are a lot of families who send their children there because they believe that is what the university is about.

Mathew 25:40

Gleefully?

RE: If the AAC drops one member - army56mike - 04-09-2021 10:55 AM

(04-09-2021 09:19 AM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  
(04-08-2021 11:10 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  Liberty will always be under the Falwells shadow and have a perception issue The only thing they can do is deal with the cards they have: FBS independence and the A-Sun for other sports since no FBS conference or conferences like the Big East, A-10 and MVC would associate with them.

You do realize that Liberty is already a member of the Big East in one sport don’t you? Though we don’t have full membership in other conferences, we certainly don’t have an issue associating with other conferences. We regularly schedule with the ACC and SEC with no problem. We have multi-year home/away visits from many ACC teams. Independence works well for us. I don’t believe you will hear a fan or administration complain otherwise. Sure if the right conference situation came along we’d listen, but for now, we are content and thriving where we are. Independence/ASUN are a great place for us.

Boise State is a Pac-12 member for wrestling and we all know the Pac-12 would never admit Boise State as a full member. Kentucky and South Carolina are C-USA members for men’s soccer and no one would mistake those schools as Pac-12 and C-USA schools. Liberty might be a Big East member for one sport but make no mistake, the Big East will not invite Liberty for full membership. .

I understand, and most likely you are correct that we will never join those conferences as full members. But you stated that conferences will not associate with Liberty, and that clearly isn’t true based on the evidence.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - UTEPDallas - 04-09-2021 11:48 AM

(04-09-2021 10:55 AM)army56mike Wrote:  
(04-09-2021 09:19 AM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

I understand, and most likely you are correct that we will never join those conferences as full members. But you stated that conferences will not associate with Liberty, and that clearly isn’t true based on the evidence.

Schools will play you in football and ooc in basketball.....they might add you for one sport or two in their conference but my main point was about the front porch for conferences: football and basketball.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - quo vadis - 04-09-2021 12:12 PM

(04-09-2021 09:12 AM)e-parade Wrote:  A poll was referenced but not linked (2014 Pew), I didn't find that one in my quick search, but I found a more recent one from Gallup (2019): https://news.gallup.com/poll/261680/americans-believe-creationism.aspx

To no one's surprise, it lines up best with people who are religious vs. people who are not. Though, oddly, there are still somehow 14% of non-religious people who believe in pure creationism. Would be great to be able to talk with some of them to see how those views came up.

But one thing that's important here on the second chart: it's not just the college presidents you'd need to convince. When combined from the two categories, 73% of college educated adults believe in evolution. While it's true that more often people who have college degrees tend to be more liberal, 73% would stretch beyond that and also include quite a number of conservatives. To say it's simply a "liberal bias" is a bit much.

To me, the issue isn't whether believing in evolution/not believing in creationism is evidence of liberal bias. I don't believe I have asserted that. For example, I am a Trump-supporting Republican Christian with a college degree, and I believe in evolution. And I believe I don't have an ounce of Liberal bias in me, LOL.

The issue is, what presidents or administrators at other schools are likely to make Liberty's creationism a "fatal flaw" in evaluating their suitability for conference membership, overriding the fact that they are an accredited university with a G5-level position in various ranking systems of academic quality? IMO, only strongly-liberal administrators are likely to do that, because liberals tend to be politically against creationism in a way that non-liberals, even those who do not believe in creationism, are not. When creationism becomes a public issue, IMO this tends to rile liberals up and they swing in to action in ways that others do not. IMO it's just a bigger deal (and deal-breaker) for them.

For example, as I said, I believe in evolution. But in evaluating Liberty's overall academic worthiness, their creationism is a trivial thing to me, it's very small thing in a big picture of academic worthiness. In contrast, I think it's much more likely to be a kill-pill for liberals. So if we see Liberty being rejected on the grounds of their creationism, it is likely that liberal bias is the reason. That's not to say that it's impossible for a conservative or independent to reject Liberty on creationism grounds, or that all liberal presidents will reject Liberty on creationism grounds. It's just that active opposition to Liberty, to the point of voting against their membership in a conference, on creationism grounds is far more likely to come from those with strongly liberal ideology. So if we see that happening, it is likely that liberal bias is in play.

And I'm frankly surprised that anyone would really argue that. Seems obvious to me. It fits with what others have said early on in this thread - Liberty is a religious-conservative institution, while university presidents are overwhelmingly liberal, and hence Liberty is likely to struggle find acceptance in a conference chock full of strongly liberal university presidents.

FWIW, here's the link to the Pew Poll I cited earlier, from 2014:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/01/03/republican-views-on-evolution-tracking-how-its-changed/

RE: If the AAC drops one member - Attackcoog - 04-09-2021 12:54 PM

(04-09-2021 12:12 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(04-09-2021 09:12 AM)e-parade Wrote:  A poll was referenced but not linked (2014 Pew), I didn't find that one in my quick search, but I found a more recent one from Gallup (2019): https://news.gallup.com/poll/261680/americans-believe-creationism.aspx

But one thing that's important here on the second chart: it's not just the college presidents you'd need to convince. When combined from the two categories, 73% of college educated adults believe in evolution. While it's true that more often people who have college degrees tend to be more liberal, 73% would stretch beyond that and also include quite a number of conservatives. To say it's simply a "liberal bias" is a bit much.

To me, the issue isn't whether believing in evolution/not believing in creationism is evidence of liberal bias. I haven't asserted that. For example, I am a Trump-supporting Republican Christian with a college degree, and I believe in evolution. And I believe I don't have an ounce of Liberal bias in me, LOL.

The issue is, what presidents or administrators at other schools are likely to make Liberty's creationism a "fatal flaw" in evaluating their suitability for conference membership, overriding the fact that they are an accredited university with a G5-level position in various ranking systems of academic quality? IMO, only strongly-liberal administrators are likely to do that, because liberals tend to be politically against creationism in a way that non-liberals, even those who do not believe in creationism, are not. When creationism is at issue, IMO this tends to rile liberals up and they swing in to action in ways that others, even non-liberals who believe in evolution, do not. For example, as I said, I believe in evolution. But in evaluating Liberty's overall academic worthiness, their creationism is a trivial thing to me, it's very small thing in a big picture of academic worthiness. In contrast, it's much more likely to be a kill-pill for liberals. So if we see Liberty being rejected on the grounds of their creationism, it is likely that liberal bias is the reason. That's not to say that it's impossible for a conservative or independent to reject Liberty on creationism grounds, or that all liberal presidents will reject Liberty on creationism grounds. It's just that active opposition to Liberty, to the point of voting against their membership in a conference, on creationism grounds is far more likely to come from those with liberal ideology. So if we see that happening, it is likely that liberal bias is in play.

And I'm frankly surprised that anyone would really argue that. Seems obvious to me. It fits with what others have said early on in this thread - Liberty is a religious-conservative institution, while university presidents are overwhelmingly liberal, and hence Liberty is likely to struggle find acceptance in a conference.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/01/03/republican-views-on-evolution-tracking-how-its-changed/

I know this creationsim thing is pretty off topic---but Ive kinda come around to view that both evolution and creationism have such huge logic flaws that they both rely on some level of "faith". The leap of faith in creationism is obvious. The one in evolution is more hidden. It lies in the acceptance of the idea that incredibly intricate advanced biological systems could essentially create themselves via mutations.

If you look at the incredibly complex and interdependent nature of just a single human system---say something like just an eyeball---we arent even talking about all the necessary organs and complex systems outside of the eyeball that allow it to survive, function, and communicate with the rest of the body--you can see that the liklihood that the lenses, retina, muscles, pupils, cones/rod color receptors that detect the light in just the right wavelengths, nerve endings, fluids, pupil/aperture, etc--all happened to spontaneously form as a result of mutation---is kind of a leap of faith thats on the level of pretending that a complex machine like a cell phone could just spontaneously create itself from a sea of molten elements. Thus, Ive come to the conclusion that both origin theories require a pretty large leap of "faith". Once you look at the complexity of the systems involved---the idea of some sort of intelligence guiding the development process seems no less logical than saying it happened spontaneously via random uncoordinated mutations.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - SMUstang - 04-09-2021 01:08 PM

(04-09-2021 12:54 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

To me, the issue isn't whether believing in evolution/not believing in creationism is evidence of liberal bias. I haven't asserted that. For example, I am a Trump-supporting Republican Christian with a college degree, and I believe in evolution. And I believe I don't have an ounce of Liberal bias in me, LOL.

The issue is, what presidents or administrators at other schools are likely to make Liberty's creationism a "fatal flaw" in evaluating their suitability for conference membership, overriding the fact that they are an accredited university with a G5-level position in various ranking systems of academic quality? IMO, only strongly-liberal administrators are likely to do that, because liberals tend to be politically against creationism in a way that non-liberals, even those who do not believe in creationism, are not. When creationism is at issue, IMO this tends to rile liberals up and they swing in to action in ways that others, even non-liberals who believe in evolution, do not. For example, as I said, I believe in evolution. But in evaluating Liberty's overall academic worthiness, their creationism is a trivial thing to me, it's very small thing in a big picture of academic worthiness. In contrast, it's much more likely to be a kill-pill for liberals. So if we see Liberty being rejected on the grounds of their creationism, it is likely that liberal bias is the reason. That's not to say that it's impossible for a conservative or independent to reject Liberty on creationism grounds, or that all liberal presidents will reject Liberty on creationism grounds. It's just that active opposition to Liberty, to the point of voting against their membership in a conference, on creationism grounds is far more likely to come from those with liberal ideology. So if we see that happening, it is likely that liberal bias is in play.

And I'm frankly surprised that anyone would really argue that. Seems obvious to me. It fits with what others have said early on in this thread - Liberty is a religious-conservative institution, while university presidents are overwhelmingly liberal, and hence Liberty is likely to struggle find acceptance in a conference.

I know this creationsim thing is pretty off topic---but Ive kinda come around to view that both evolution and creationism have such huge logic flaws that they both rely on some level of "faith". The leap of faith in creationism is obvious. The one in evolution is more hidden. It lies in the acceptance of the idea that incredibly intricate advanced biological systems could essentially create themselves via mutations.

If you look at the incredibly complex and interdependent nature of just a single human system---say something like just an eyeball---we arent even talking about all the necessary organs and complex systems outside of the eyeball that allow it to survive, function, and communicate with the rest of the body--you can see that the liklihood that the lenses, retina, muscles, pupils, cones/rod color receptors that detect the light in just the right wavelengths, nerve endings, fluids, pupil/aperture, etc--all happened to spontaneously form as a result of mutation---is kind of a leap of faith thats on the level of pretending that a complex machine like a cell phone could just spontaneously create itself from a sea of molten elements. Thus, Ive come to the conclusion that both origin theories require a pretty large leap of "faith". Once you look at the complexity of the systems involved---the idea of some sort of intelligent guiding the development process seems no less logical than saying it happened spontaneously via random uncoordinated mutations.

Excellent point, "scientists" can't even agree on this or climate change or anything else. You can use science to prove a point either way.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - bill dazzle - 04-09-2021 01:39 PM

Perhaps the truth with the issue of creationism vs. evolution lies somewhere in the middle.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - colohank - 04-09-2021 02:18 PM

Biological evolution isn't a belief, and it isn't meant to be the antithesis of any belief. Rather, it's just a mechanism of incremental change in a species over time, where change is driven by the ability of each individual organism to adapt to its surroundings and to pass its advantages on to succeeding generations. Over an immensity of time, the cumulative changes in that species may be so profound that it only superficially resembles its distant ancestors. Nothing is static, and everything is in constant flux. Evolution is happening and is going to happen no matter what we think, but we usually can't recognize it (except in the fossil record or in organisms that reproduce very rapidly) because none of us lives long enough.

I think evolution may be misunderstood, in part, because most of us don't have a very good grasp of time beyond the scale of human experience. We're impatient, and we simply can't visualize how a lot of little changes over thousands of generations may accrue.

Similarly, we humans find it hard to comprehend events and phenomena which occur at quantum or relativistic scales. At relativistic scales, the numbers are so large that we actually measure distances in terms of time.

Big numbers confound us. It's a lot easier in these days of monstrous budgets to say "billion" or "trillion" than it is to comprehend just how large those numbers really are. For example, a stack of one trillion dimes, each only about one millimeter thick, would be tall enough to reach the Moon and back, with enough left over for about 5.5 laps around Earth's equator.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - SMUstang - 04-09-2021 03:12 PM

When did time begin?
Where did humans come from? (and don't tell me from apes or monkeys)
Why are there so many species?
Why do males and females in every other species stay together and in their own species?
How many stars and planets are there?

RE: If the AAC drops one member - mturn017 - 04-09-2021 05:23 PM

If you look at the incredibly complex and interdependent nature of just a single human system---say something like just an eyeball---we arent even talking about all the necessary organs and complex systems outside of the eyeball that allow it to survive, function, and communicate with the rest of the body--you can see that the liklihood that the lenses, retina, muscles, pupils, cones/rod color receptors that detect the light in just the right wavelengths, nerve endings, fluids, pupil/aperture, etc--all happened to spontaneously form as a result of mutation---is kind of a leap of faith thats on the level of pretending that a complex machine like a cell phone could just spontaneously create itself from a sea of molten elements. Thus, Ive come to the conclusion that both origin theories require a pretty large leap of "faith". Once you look at the complexity of the systems involved---the idea of some sort of intelligence guiding the development process seems no less logical than saying it happened spontaneously via random uncoordinated mutations.

Well what you're seeing is the compounding of all the successful mutations over long periods of time. There were a lot of mutations that were either benign or harmful to the species. The useful ones made those more likely to survive and thus more likely to propagate and pass on those mutations. The next generation mutated in both good bad and benign ways and again the good ones moved on.

I'm not an atheist, I tend to believe that life was inevitable more so than random but genetic sequencing pretty much hammered home Darwin's theory of our origins. I find harmony and a sort of faith in order having been drawn from chaos but unless a creator placed us here with breadcrumbs intentionally to mislead us then that's what has happened.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - Foreverandever - 04-09-2021 05:50 PM

(04-09-2021 03:12 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  When did time begin?
Why do males and females in every other species stay together and in their own species?

Time is an illusion created by man to explain an always seemingly progresive series of events caused by each other. In reality every single second (actually much smaller incriments) stand frozen and perfect individually and our experience connects them together coherently because our brain likes narratives especially in predictions.

Humans didn't come from apes or monkeys and you show a very poor grasp of how evolution worked.

The actual divergence of life is negligible at the dna level as all life forms on earth share an incredibly high percentage of structure. Even small differences over time can make big changes though. If you face 1° to the west and I 1° to the east and we walk in a straight line while we will be able to see each other, even when traveling a long distance, we will end up in two very different locations.

Other females and males do not stay together and there are various species of animals that cross breed with other animals. There is also plenty of examples of species that have neither male nor female, are both, or remarkably switch. Bio diversity and all that, see the earlier answer.

We are unsure of the number of planets although we have a good estimation of the range. As far as stars go, do you mean actually right now that exist? The ones we can see with our sight? Maybe all time? Because funny enough.....

By the way that science knows the answers to these sort of "gotcha" questions doesn't exclude God or a higher being.

I reccomend you do some more research on your religon and on science. This really isn't the place for a philosophical debate though.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - colohank - 04-09-2021 05:51 PM

As three-year-old children, each of us knows for sure that that humans originated in the Garden of Eden. First Adam, and then Eve, who somehow morphed out of one of Adam's ribs. And then, as we get older, we begin to realize that Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden are the stuff of mythology. Most of us, anyway. But there will always be folks who think the world is flat, and that it's the center of the universe.

A trip to Walmart should convince just about anyone with powers of observation that some of us descended from the apes. But not from monkeys. Monkeys have tails. Or maybe humans and apes descended from a common ancestor. Something like that, anyway. Nobody knows. Yet.

But we're working on it.

Now, where was the Garden of Eden?

RE: If the AAC drops one member - oliveandblue - 04-09-2021 05:56 PM

...and here I was expecting realignment talk instead of Bible study. I actually think I like Bible study more in this instance.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - SMUstang - 04-09-2021 07:02 PM

(04-09-2021 05:51 PM)colohank Wrote:  

As three-year-old children, each of us knows for sure that that humans originated in the Garden of Eden. First Adam, and then Eve, who somehow morphed out of one of Adam's ribs. And then, as we get older, we begin to realize that Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden are the stuff of mythology. Most of us, anyway. But there will always be folks who think the world is flat, and that it's the center of the universe.

A trip to Walmart should convince just about anyone with powers of observation that some of us descended from the apes. But not from monkeys. Monkeys have tails. Or maybe humans and apes descended from a common ancestor. Something like that, anyway. Nobody knows. Yet.

But we're working on it.

Now, where was the Garden of Eden?

There is a lot we don't know. And I doubt if Darwin really knew. That is why it was called his theory. But some day maybe we will find out.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - Attackcoog - 04-09-2021 07:37 PM

(04-09-2021 05:56 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  ...and here I was expecting realignment talk instead of Bible study. I actually think I like Bible study more in this instance.

lol----you were never going to find much useful realignment discussion in this thread anyway. The chances of the AAC kicking anyone out are about as high as science and religion coming to agreement on the origins debate. We will either play on with 11 football members---add another member, or suffer through a member being poached---to get back down to an even number. We arent kicking anyone out.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - quo vadis - 04-09-2021 07:48 PM

(04-09-2021 02:18 PM)colohank Wrote:  Big numbers confound us. It's a lot easier in these days of monstrous budgets to say "billion" or "trillion" than it is to comprehend just how large those numbers really are. For example, a stack of one trillion dimes, each only about one millimeter thick, would be tall enough to reach the Moon and back, with enough left over for about 5.5 laps around Earth's equator.

Here's one about big numbers that blows my mind. I read somewhere that the mass of the Earth is about 6.5 sextillion tons. So how to wrap my mind around a sextillion?

Imagine if an evil mastermind wants to vaporize the earth. His plan is to put a satellite in orbit that will beam a ray at the earth and start vaporizing the earth's mass when it hits. After much effort, his team of scientists tell him the best they can do is a ray that will work "at the speed of light", by which they mean the ray will vaporize 186,000 tons of earth per second. Not pounds of earth, but tons. Per second.

The evil mastermind gets excited, because 186,000 tons sounds like an incredible amount of earth, and if it that amount is being vaporized every freaking second, the earth should be reduced to nothing but vapor in no time at all.

In reality, at that rate, it will take about 1.2 billion years. That's how big a septillion is, and how big our earth is. If that ray had been pointing at the earth and vaporizing that amount constantly since the last Triceratops died, about 60 million years ago, it would have vaporized about 5% of our earth during that time. 95% would still be here.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - quo vadis - 04-09-2021 08:03 PM

I agree about both being based on faith, but with a twist. To me, the "faith" in evolution is characteristic of the vast majority of people who say they believe in evolution. Because the vast majority of people who do so simply have no idea whether what evolutionary biologists say is true or not. They do not have the knowledge or training to evaluate the methods used by these biologists and so do not understand that evidence. They are choosing to believe, taking it on trust, that what the biologists are saying is true. That sounds like "faith" to me.

It's like when an Astronomer like Carl Sagan says that a star is a million light years away. Since I do not have the mathematical or observational training to check his claim. if I say I believe him, I am in effect "taking it on faith", trusting his word, which isn't much different than trusting the Pope if he says there is a heaven that we might go to after death. I can't check Carl Sagan's claim any more than I can check the Pope's claim. And it's no answer to say "well other scientists can look at his data and models and confirm or refute Sagan", because I can't evaluate their claims either. It's like saying another priest can consult some scrolls and check the Pope's claim.

That's what irks me about people on social media and whatever yelling about "follow the Science!" and the like. 99% of these shouting people do not know anything about the science they are following. They are choosing to put their trust and faith in what the scientist say. They are clueless about the science involved. But they look down on people who trust religion or whatever.

RE: If the AAC drops one member - bill dazzle - 04-09-2021 09:10 PM

I am a Catholic, a man of faith. But I tend to trust the scientists in terms of how man "got here" more so than I do the priests. Neither knows for sure. But the scientists take a more objective view than the priests. And as a journalist of many years ... I relate to that as it relates to the planet and the solar system.

I take a "spiritual view" regarding life that, I admit, many question. And that's fine. We are all frail and vulnerable humans. As brothers and sisters on this planet, let us all strive to be more tolerant and loving. And can we all be more environmentally conscientious?