CSNbbs
Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post (/thread-920011.html)

Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - Guitarman - 04-03-2021 10:13 AM

I actually have questions.

1) When an athlete enters the Transfer Portal, does that mean they are open for recruitment at other NCAA schools or does it mean they are eligible for the draft?

and

2) When an athlete enters the Transfer Portal, are they able to still play for their school if they don't like their options and decide to stay? So if this is the case, is it like "testing the waters"?

Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - aardWolf - 04-03-2021 10:16 AM

I’ve always assumed it was like “testing the waters”. Other schools are prohibited from contacting another school’s players unless they are in the transfer portal. Just being in it doesn’t mean someone is gone.

RE: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - uskjtc02 - 04-03-2021 10:20 AM

(04-03-2021 10:13 AM)Guitarman Wrote:  I actually have questions.

1) When an athlete enters the Transfer Portal, does that mean they are open for recruitment at other NCAA schools or does it mean they are eligible for the draft?

and

2) When an athlete enters the Transfer Portal, are they able to still play for their school if they don't like their options and decide to stay? So if this is the case, is it like "testing the waters"?

It’s not entering the draft and yes, a player could Hoback to his original school if the school will have him.

RE: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - thagr82008 - 04-03-2021 10:22 AM

(04-03-2021 10:16 AM)aardWolf Wrote:  I’ve always assumed it was like “testing the waters”. Other schools are prohibited from contacting another school’s players unless they are in the transfer portal. Just being in it doesn’t mean someone is gone.

Interdasting 01-wingedeagle Would be a nice stat, How many players or % that re-enroll at the school that they previously said goodbye to.....But, I'm sure the coaches of the schools probably re-recruit on occasion

RE: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - Atlanta - 04-03-2021 10:30 AM

(04-03-2021 10:16 AM)aardWolf Wrote:  I’ve always assumed it was like “testing the waters”. Other schools are prohibited from contacting another school’s players unless they are in the transfer portal. Just being in it doesn’t mean someone is gone.

Those that enter the transfer portal are telling their current school they want something that school won't or can't provide. That's usually enough to cause the current school to remove the transfer the option of coming back. So it's not testing the waters, they've jumped in the water & have to find another spot to land. But there are no rules that prevent a declared transfer from working out their differences with their current school & returning if the school has a scholarship & makes an offer. But once a player enters the portal, their scholarship is terminated & would have to be renewed.

RE: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - TripleA - 04-03-2021 10:43 AM

Article on how the transfer portal works. I would add that some coaches aren't waiting for players to enter the portal before contacting them, even though that's the rule. I'm pretty sure Boogie has been recruited since at least last spring when Covid hit. It's probably the wild west until the NCAA starts busting coaches for it.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/may/06/how-does-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-work/

RE: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - bbqtiger - 04-03-2021 10:50 AM

Good find Trip. Thanks for the info.

RE: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - Atlanta - 04-03-2021 10:56 AM

(04-03-2021 10:43 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Article on how the transfer portal works. I would add that some coaches aren't waiting for players to enter the portal before contacting them, even though that's the rule. I'm pretty sure Boogie has been recruited since at least last spring when Covid hit. It's probably the wild west until the NCAA starts busting coaches for it.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/may/06/how-does-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-work/

Regarding Boogie for sure. He's had more than one west coast school recruiting him. Will be interesting to see where he lands.

RE: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - Unionman76 - 04-03-2021 11:14 AM

(04-03-2021 10:56 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(04-03-2021 10:43 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Article on how the transfer portal works. I would add that some coaches aren't waiting for players to enter the portal before contacting them, even though that's the rule. I'm pretty sure Boogie has been recruited since at least last spring when Covid hit. It's probably the wild west until the NCAA starts busting coaches for it.

Regarding Boogie for sure. He's had more than one west coast school recruiting him. Will be interesting to see where he lands.

one of his relatives i talked to, wanted him to go to a school in nc
(that was during his freshman year)

RE: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - Guitarman - 04-03-2021 04:09 PM

Excellent article...thank you for sharing.

RE: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - Guitarman - 04-03-2021 04:17 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses. Someone in charge is obviously smarter than I am because I don't see any benefit of the transfer portal other than:

1) Not happy where a player is at; and
2) Stiff arming the university ESPECIALLY to get something you want if the university doesn't want you to go.

Whatever....I don't dig it. Bug again, thanks for the straight up responses.

RE: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - misplaced tiger - 04-03-2021 04:21 PM

The purpose of the transfer portal is to formalize the process and give NCAA some control. Unhappy players have been transferring forever. The portal has nothing to do with that.

The free for all going on now has more to do with easing of transfer rules and the fact that players are getting a free year of eligibility this year.

RE: Not just another "Transfer Portal" post - Tiger87 - 04-03-2021 09:57 PM

The "play immediately" ruling might be here to stay. That's what these players are banking on. But who knows with the turtle's pace of the NCAA.
There is some talk to modifying the times the transfer portal is active. Like waiting until the last game is concluded before opening it up, and then closing it in May as school's conclude spring term. That would help programs define their rosters, rather than leaving the portal open all the way to August.