CSNbbs
UC Statement on Brannen - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: UC Statement on Brannen (/thread-919499.html)

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - doss2 - 09-24-2021 06:33 AM

Any word on JB lawsuit?

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rath v2.0 - 09-24-2021 08:05 AM

UC filed its omnibus motion to dismiss a few weeks ago. Those rarely get granted unless the other side’s pleading is Italian television level of nuts.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - bearcatmark - 09-24-2021 08:12 AM

(09-24-2021 08:05 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  UC filed its omnibus motion to dismiss a few weeks ago. Those rarely get granted unless the other side’s pleading is Italian television level of nuts.

I have no idea what Italian television is like, but I still laughed.

But yea...they are still essentially in the pleadings stage. This thing won't be moving quickly though the court system.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rath v2.0 - 09-24-2021 08:15 AM

It tends to be like a daytime soap opera mixed with Rick & Morty.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - CliftonAve - 09-24-2021 08:45 AM

These civil matters always take back seat to the criminal cases, but in our post covid world these cases are even further kicked down the docket as they are still dealing with the long shutdown. If this case gets tried it won't get in front of a jury until 2023.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Cataclysmo - 09-24-2021 10:15 AM

(09-24-2021 08:45 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  These civil matters always take back seat to the criminal cases, but in our post covid world these cases are even further kicked down the docket as they are still dealing with the long shutdown. If this case gets tried it won't get in front of a jury until 2023.

The 5th amendment guarantees you the right to a speedy trial, unless everyone takes the year off for a global pandemic.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - CliftonAve - 09-24-2021 10:22 AM

(09-24-2021 10:15 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(09-24-2021 08:45 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  These civil matters always take back seat to the criminal cases, but in our post covid world these cases are even further kicked down the docket as they are still dealing with the long shutdown. If this case gets tried it won't get in front of a jury until 2023.

The 5th amendment guarantees you the right to a speedy trial, unless everyone takes the year off for a global pandemic.

Correct- for criminal trials. When life and liberty are not on the line and the quarrel is over money, the wheels of justice moves slower.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Cataclysmo - 09-24-2021 01:15 PM

Dammit, 6th amendment. See why I don't discuss the law on here??

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - robertfoshizzle - 09-24-2021 05:47 PM

I'm just glad the Brannen mess has been waaaay overshadowed by all the positive things that have happened in our athletic department since then. I wonder if we will be more amenable to settling with our financial fortunes about to improve. Obviously we still need to be prudent in our spending, but if there's an opportunity to settle the matter for $2 million or so, would we consider it? Either way, my level of concern these days regarding the Brannen lawsuit is officially zero.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - bearcatmark - 09-24-2021 05:50 PM

(09-24-2021 05:47 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  I'm just glad the Brannen mess has been waaaay overshadowed by all the positive things that have happened in our athletic department since then. I wonder if we will be more amenable to settling with our financial fortunes about to improve. Obviously we still need to be prudent in our spending, but if there's an opportunity to settle the matter for $2 million or so, would we consider it? Either way, my level of concern these days regarding the Brannen lawsuit is officially zero.

I think we'd absolutely settle for 2 million. A reasonable settlement is much preferred to ongoing litigation

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - CliftonAve - 09-24-2021 06:19 PM

(09-24-2021 05:47 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  I'm just glad the Brannen mess has been waaaay overshadowed by all the positive things that have happened in our athletic department since then. I wonder if we will be more amenable to settling with our financial fortunes about to improve. Obviously we still need to be prudent in our spending, but if there's an opportunity to settle the matter for $2 million or so, would we consider it? Either way, my level of concern these days regarding the Brannen lawsuit is officially zero.

UC has Director’s & Officer’s insurance coverage which will be paying the defense costs and any indemnity (settlement).

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - doss2 - 09-24-2021 08:10 PM

(09-24-2021 06:19 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

UC has Director’s & Officer’s insurance coverage which will be paying the defense costs and any indemnity (settlement).

Such insurance does not indemnify for not honoring a contract.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rath v2.0 - 09-24-2021 08:55 PM

(09-24-2021 05:50 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

I think we'd absolutely settle for 2 million. A reasonable settlement is much preferred to ongoing litigation

I’ve heard Cunningham has no interest in settling and opinion letters in hand. That can change of course but if not it’s the same thing UCONN has been doing to their own jerk of an ex coach for 3 years. Send the message that principal and principle matter, and flip him the bird.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - QSECOFR - 09-24-2021 09:48 PM

Unless Brannen chooses to settle quietly, he will end up being a case study for law students re: Pyrrhic victories. Either he has a fool for an attorney or he is too obstinate to listen to his attorney.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - CliftonAve - 09-25-2021 06:39 AM

(09-24-2021 08:10 PM)doss2 Wrote:  

There are causes of action in the complaint that are covered. The policy has a duty to defend, albeit will be under a reservation of rights. Moreover, this lawsuit triggers at least three insurance policies- D&O, General Liability, and Employment Practices Liability. The EPL policy does indemnify and defend alleged claims for breach of contract.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatMan - 09-25-2021 07:25 AM

(09-24-2021 09:48 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  Unless Brannen chooses to settle quietly, he will end up being a case study for law students re: Pyrrhic victories. Either he has a fool for an attorney or he is too obstinate to listen to his attorney.

One look at Twitter will be enough to say the former is likely the truer statement of the two.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rath v2.0 - 09-25-2021 08:17 AM

(09-25-2021 06:39 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(09-24-2021 08:10 PM)doss2 Wrote:  

There are causes of action in the complaint that are covered. The policy has a duty to defend, albeit will be under a reservation of rights. Moreover, this lawsuit triggers at least three insurance policies- D&O, General Liability, and Employment Practices Liability. The EPL policy does indemnify and defend alleged claims for breach of contract.

Absolutely accurate..

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - bearcatmark - 10-04-2021 09:00 PM

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rath v2.0 - 10-04-2021 09:19 PM

There was zero chance that suit was going to discovery let alone trial. He’d never work in college basketball again if it had.

Perhaps there is a settlement for nuisance value to make this jerk just disappear.

Edit: it was filed without prejudice which means he could still refile within a year. That means no settlement. Could mean he wants to stop the legal fees from racking up while they talk about a settlement. Or it could just mean he knows his case sucks.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - UCGrad1992 - 10-04-2021 09:25 PM

That is very telling. So much for a strong case against UC.