CSNbbs
UC Statement on Brannen - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: UC Statement on Brannen (/thread-919499.html)

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - levydl - 05-04-2021 08:38 AM

(05-03-2021 10:28 PM)ucbrownsfan Wrote:  Would the team dinner at his house be considered benefits?

The way the letter is worded does make it seem like that sort of technical violation rather than Brannen handing out envelopes of cash and whatnot. It would be kind of funny if he were paying players and they still hated him, though.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatMan - 05-04-2021 08:45 AM

(05-04-2021 08:38 AM)levydl Wrote:  
(05-03-2021 10:28 PM)ucbrownsfan Wrote:  Would the team dinner at his house be considered benefits?

The way the letter is worded does make it seem like that sort of technical violation rather than Brannen handing out envelopes of cash and whatnot. It would be kind of funny if he were paying players and they still hated him, though.

I believe that dinners are allowed now as long as they do not pass a certain amount per student-athlete per meal/year and/or are a team-only function sponsored by the AD. That was changed after that Oklahoma OLman was ruled ineligible for attending a Spaghetti Dinner Benefit for a friend of his who had cancer and was given a free plate of spaghetti because the NCAA is stupid.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Captain Bearcat - 05-04-2021 08:59 AM

The letter refers to making "special benefits for a student athlete."

"a athlete" is singular. One player.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - QSECOFR - 05-04-2021 09:02 AM

(05-04-2021 08:45 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

I believe that dinners are allowed now as long as they do not pass a certain amount per student-athlete per meal/year and/or are a team-only function sponsored by the AD. That was changed after that Oklahoma OLman was ruled ineligible for attending a Spaghetti Dinner Benefit for a friend of his who had cancer and was given a free plate of spaghetti because the NCAA is stupid.

I’ve said it before, but if one reads the NCAA rules with the thought that the rules are there to protect student athletes, the rules make no sense. However, if one reads them with the thought the rules are there to protect the NCAA’s revenue streams, the rules make all the sense in the world.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rath v2.0 - 05-04-2021 09:10 AM

Dude was an epic clown show. Glad he’s gone. Hope UC tells him to piss up a rope and we’ll see him in a very public civil suit.

AAU coaches telling our guy Chad that UC did the right thing because they would never send their players to play for him. SMDH. The guy poisoned every well he came by.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Z-Fly - 05-04-2021 09:16 AM

How in the world did Bohn not pick up on any of this?

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Billy_Bearcat - 05-04-2021 09:40 AM

(05-04-2021 09:16 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  How in the world did Bohn not pick up on any of this?

Cause he had one foot out the door

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatMan - 05-04-2021 09:48 AM

(05-04-2021 08:59 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

One wonders...were the Jarron rumors true and is this because they went unreported...

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - skylinecat - 05-04-2021 09:53 AM

(05-04-2021 09:48 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

One wonders...were the Jarron rumors true and is this because they went unreported...

What were the rumors?

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatMan - 05-04-2021 09:59 AM

(05-04-2021 09:53 AM)skylinecat Wrote:  
(05-04-2021 09:48 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

What were the rumors?

Probably best not to share them publicly...but requests were supposedly made.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - dsquare - 05-04-2021 10:30 AM

Paul D column today:

Brannen’s lawyer, Tom Mars, texted me Tuesday that the coach “paid $135 out of his own pocket for a player to see a mental health professional. No good deed goes unpunished.’’

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - robertfoshizzle - 05-04-2021 10:49 AM

(05-04-2021 10:30 AM)dsquare Wrote:  Paul D column today:

Brannen’s lawyer, Tom Mars, texted me Tuesday that the coach “paid $135 out of his own pocket for a player to see a mental health professional. No good deed goes unpunished.’’

If that's true, it's a very nice gesture by Brannen. But someone who has been a D1 head and assistant coach as long as he has knows better than to pay for ANYTHING for a player or recruit without clearing it with compliance first. Whatever happened, I doubt it's anything serious enough to get us in trouble with the NCAA.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - robertfoshizzle - 05-04-2021 10:54 AM

Sometimes I wish the University of Cincinnati would just completely revoke all press passes/privileges from the fish wrap.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - skylinecat - 05-04-2021 12:27 PM

I don't believe that for one second or rather I don't believe that is what Cunningham is firing him for cause over. Brannen is still trying to win the court of public opinion but the momentum is already dying for him. He knows that 3 years from now when they could realistically expect a trial date that no one in Hamilton Co. is going to give 2 ***** about John Brannen, especially if Miller is putting out a top 25 team.

Brannen should've accepted the fact that even if he was being fired for BS reasons, basically no one else outside of coaching or academia even has an employment contract and take the 2 million or w/e was offered and move on. Had he just taken the money he could've told new prospective employers that Cunningham just didn't like him because he didn't hire him and that was that. Instead this scorched earth tactic may win him his money but he won't coach an NCAA team again. What AD would ever hire him at this point.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Captain Bearcat - 05-04-2021 12:47 PM

(05-04-2021 10:49 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  

If that's true, it's a very nice gesture by Brannen. But someone who has been a D1 head and assistant coach as long as he has knows better than to pay for ANYTHING for a player or recruit without clearing it with compliance first. Whatever happened, I doubt it's anything serious enough to get us in trouble with the NCAA.

This.

I've spent zero days in college athletics, and even I know that's a major violation.

Also, it's full of malarkey. UC's student insurance covers mental health.

https://med2.uc.edu/student-health-insurance/insurance/university-health-services-(uhs)

"There is a 20% co-insurance due for mental health visits. Visits on average are less than $20 per visit. This may change dependent on services received. Please talk to your provider for more information."

Do scholarships cover the cost of the university's student insurance?

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - skylinecat - 05-04-2021 01:37 PM

(05-04-2021 12:47 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(05-04-2021 10:49 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  

This.

I've spent zero days in college athletics, and even I know that's a major violation.

Also, it's full of malarkey. UC's student insurance covers mental health.

https://med2.uc.edu/student-health-insurance/insurance/university-health-services-(uhs)

"There is a 20% co-insurance due for mental health visits. Visits on average are less than $20 per visit. This may change dependent on services received. Please talk to your provider for more information."

Plus it seems entirely intended to shift the attention away from the part about him "intimidating and/or attempted to intimidate students from raising proper compliance concerns (and) running one or more practices without proper precautions for player health and safety and repeatedly violated time management plan policies". Sounds like he was having unaccounted for practices without the medical staff in attendance because he thought they were the "snitches".

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - RealDeal - 05-04-2021 01:49 PM

Keep in mind it was a player led mutiny. If Brannen was going above and beyond to support players there wouldn't have been a mutiny from his guys.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Cat-Man - 05-04-2021 01:57 PM

(05-04-2021 01:49 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  Keep in mind it was a player led mutiny. If Brannen was going above and beyond to support players there wouldn't have been a mutiny from his guys.

My guess is the player in question is DDJ, considering the psychological reasons why he left the team earlier in the year and he was one of the few players who didn't jump ship at the end of the season. Thus, showing his loyalty to Brannen.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - bww - 05-04-2021 02:01 PM

(05-04-2021 12:47 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  UC's student insurance covers mental health.

You have to find a mental health provider that takes insurance. Most do not take any insurance. It's pretty common for MH visits to be cash only.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatMan - 05-04-2021 02:07 PM

(05-04-2021 01:57 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  
(05-04-2021 01:49 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  Keep in mind it was a player led mutiny. If Brannen was going above and beyond to support players there wouldn't have been a mutiny from his guys.

My guess is the player in question is DDJ, considering the psychological reasons why he left the team earlier in the year and he was one of the few players who didn't jump ship at the end of the season. Thus, showing his loyalty to Brannen.

Two other players cited psychological distress throughout the year.