CSNbbs
UC Statement on Brannen - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: UC Statement on Brannen (/thread-919499.html)

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rath v2.0 - 04-06-2021 10:04 PM

Just settle on an amount and pay the guy. Let him cash a huge check and move on and let us find a new AD and MBB coach.

Let CLF be the liaison with the search firm for both positions.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - doss2 - 04-06-2021 10:21 PM

(04-06-2021 05:12 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(04-06-2021 05:06 PM)doss2 Wrote:  Whenever one gets a new boss there often is tension. Last year was the problem Brannen or Cumberland? Likely multiple valid realities. Different POV's.

This year mostly new players but still tension. Whose fault?

Problem may be Brannen. That said if he broke no major rules UC needs to man up and pay him to go away. I never understood how much they were paying him over NKU. UC made a bad deal. Man up pay off, move on. And also get rid of Cunningham.

Welcome back from your suspension.

03-nerner03-nerner03-nerner

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - doss2 - 04-06-2021 10:23 PM

(04-06-2021 10:04 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Just settle on an amount and pay the guy. Let him cash a huge check and move on and let us find a new AD and MBB coach.

Let CLF be the liaison with the search firm for both positions.
Totally agree except on CLF liaison. I want CLF working on FB. That said he needs to approve new AD.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - dsquare - 04-07-2021 06:55 AM

(04-06-2021 09:49 PM)bearcat54 Wrote:  
(04-06-2021 04:22 PM)Hemond Wrote:  
(04-06-2021 04:06 PM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  
(04-06-2021 03:59 PM)Hemond Wrote:  Brannen is a nice guy but not a good basketball coach.

Hasn't he coached a team to like 6 straight conference championship games? That doesn't really happen by chance.

The players do not have confidence in him and his plays.

the players that are quitting are a bunch of wusses. They can't deal with being hollered at when not playing like true bearcats. Let them go home to mommy.

Yea, the interesting thing is they appeared to get better as the misery dragged on for those who stuck it out. It's fools gold thinking you're going to be a top 25 team relying on a significant amount of non 5 star frosh. Takes some very, very good seniors to pull that off.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Hemond - 04-07-2021 08:41 AM

Brannen seems like a nice man. I feel bad for his family.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - bearcat54 - 04-07-2021 08:49 AM

it appears the UC administration cannot find anything to discipline CJB with. Reinstate him and let the basketball program get back to work.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Former Lurker - 04-07-2021 09:00 AM

(04-07-2021 08:49 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  it appears the UC administration cannot find anything to discipline CJB with. Reinstate him and let the basketball program get back to work.

I really question Cunningham's judgment to bringing this situation to a head, but I don't see how Brannen can come back at this point. What quality recruits would sign with him now?

More broadly, the days of the tyrant-coach are over. Players have options, and playing for head cases is going to be the last resort. Even 30 years ago, Bob Knight, the greatest coach of his time, was having trouble getting top talent to sign. Now the portal and no-fault transfer put the nail in the coffin. Brannen seems like a smart guy, but he was pretty dumb not to see that.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - levydl - 04-07-2021 09:05 AM

(04-07-2021 08:49 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  it appears the UC administration cannot find anything to discipline CJB with. Reinstate him and let the basketball program get back to work.

What is the thought process for the people who want Brannen back? Earnest question. Is it just that you think the players are soft, so that's not a reason to fire him? That the whole thing is unfair?

What is it that gives you confidence Brannen is the right guy?

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Former Lurker - 04-07-2021 09:07 AM

(04-07-2021 09:05 AM)levydl Wrote:  

What is the thought process for the people who want Brannen back? Earnest question. Is it just that you think the players are soft, so that's not a reason to fire him? That the whole thing is unfair?

You would normally give a new coach three years. That's four with a Covid pass. I haven't been too enamored of the on-court results, but I'm not sure there's anything worth blowing up the program over

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Lush - 04-07-2021 09:25 AM

i for one don't think brannen should lose his job but i am excited about the prospects of a new coach. if he can't head coach anyone maybe all those rumors of a spot on mack's bench will come to fruition

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Edgebrookjeff - 04-07-2021 09:29 AM

Has he really been that bad? If you look at the transfer portal for most schools this year, it seems that many programs are in the same boat as UC. It's obvious that CJB hasn't done anything serious enough to get fired for. I think he deserves at least one more year, post COVID and then evaluate his job performance.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatJerry - 04-07-2021 09:32 AM

If that's the case, then you have to fire Cunningham first.

Brannen and John Cunningham obviously can't work together.

So...who's got the lower/cheaper contract?

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Former Lurker - 04-07-2021 09:34 AM

(04-07-2021 09:29 AM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  

Has he really been that bad? If you look at the transfer portal for most schools this year, it seems that many programs are in the same boat as UC. It's obvious that CJB hasn't done anything serious enough to get fired for. I think he deserves at least one more year, post COVID and then evaluate his job performance.

There was an argument for buying him out right after the defections, but this business of trumping up cause in order to save the buyout is hurting the program and at any rate, not likely to save all that much. Wichita St ended up paying Marshall about 50 cents on the dollar, and it had a stronger case than anything UC seems to have against Brannen.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - crex043 - 04-07-2021 09:35 AM

I just don't see how Brannen comes back with all of the posturing coming from his lawyer. It's pretty clear that they have now moved onto leaking investigation details to their friends in the press and taking their case to the court of public opinion via Twitter. This, with UC only stating that there is an investigation pending without providing any details. There is now a proven rift between Brannen and administration. The best case scenario is that his tenure ends today. The next best is that it ends tomorrow. What recruiting will he be able to accomplish with the reality that Brannen and administration aren't fond of one another and the hammer is looming over Brannen's head? We can either do it this week and move onto our next coach, or another year from now after this coming year's patchwork roster has run its course.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - levydl - 04-07-2021 09:36 AM

(04-07-2021 09:07 AM)Former Lurker Wrote:  

You would normally give a new coach three years. That's four with a Covid pass. I haven't been too enamored of the on-court results, but I'm not sure there's anything worth blowing up the program over

You don't think all those players leaving factors in? Do you think we won't be able to hire as good a replacement?

I'm finding it hard to understand why anyone would care much about moving on from Brannen at this point. Even you aren't happy with his on-court results. And I don't see how much more the program could be blown up. Our roster is 3 returning guys and 2 likely bench warmers.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Former Lurker - 04-07-2021 09:41 AM

(04-07-2021 09:36 AM)levydl Wrote:  

You don't think all those players leaving factors in? Do you think we won't be able to hire as good a replacement?

I'm finding it hard to understand why anyone would care much about moving on from Brannen at this point. Even you aren't happy with his on-court results. And I don't see how much more the program could be blown up. Our roster is 3 returning guys and 2 likely bench warmers.

I don't think being a p___k is cause for termination. Most college athletes have mixed feelings about the coach and plenty end up hating the sport. There are plenty of players in the portal.

Unless Cunningham has a killer hire up his sleeve, this appears to be an instance where the cure will prove to be more harmful than the disease.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - bearcatdp - 04-07-2021 09:44 AM

(04-07-2021 09:29 AM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  

I have felt from the beginning that Brannen did fine coaching and recruiting these past two years, especially considering the circumstances, and I wanted to see where he could take us over the next season or two. Bohn handed him the UC basketball keys and Brannen was trying to create the culture he wanted and attrition could be part of that...thoygh it seems pretty extreme from my outside/fan point of view. I also acknowledge that I don't have all of the information that Cunningham and Brannen have. Regardless, we are way past the point of no return and I see no way that Brannen can be the coach at UC next year outside of getting rid of Cunningham, which I don't see happening. For Cunningham's sake, the info he has better not cost the Athletic Department a ton or we could be looking for a new coach now and a new AD not too far down the road. I am witholding judgement until this ends, which is hopefully soon.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - UCBearcatlawjd2 - 04-07-2021 09:45 AM

(04-07-2021 09:41 AM)Former Lurker Wrote:  

I don't think being a p___k is cause for termination. Most college athletes have mixed feelings about the coach and plenty end up hating the sport. There are plenty of players in the portal.

Unless Cunningham has a killer hire up his sleeve, this appears to be an instance where the cure will prove to be more harmful than the disease.

Huh, Brannen is the disease at this point. He is the reason the program is a mess. Getting rid of him removes the biggest obstacle to success.

I wish it worked out. I rather not see UC go through another coaching change but Brannen needs to go.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - levydl - 04-07-2021 09:48 AM

I don't think most college athletes end up hating the sport.

You're not phased at all about the players leaving but think that firing Brannen will destroy the program. I don't really understand, unless you just think Brannen is an excellent coach who will be hard to replace. But that doesn't seem to be your belief?

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Former Lurker - 04-07-2021 09:53 AM

(04-07-2021 09:48 AM)levydl Wrote:  
(04-07-2021 09:05 AM)levydl Wrote:  What is the thought process for the people who want Brannen back? Earnest question. Is it just that you think the players are soft, so that's not a reason to fire him? That the whole thing is unfair?

I don't think most college athletes end up hating the sport.

You're not phased at all about the players leaving but think that firing Brannen will destroy the program. I don't really understand, unless you just think Brannen is an excellent coach who will be hard to replace. But that doesn't seem to be your belief?

No, the defections are a legit black mark against Brannen. It would have been very reasonable for the AD to ring up Brannen's agent and have the buyout deal negotiated quietly by the end of the week, but that's not what he chose to do.