CSNbbs
UC Statement on Brannen - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: UC Statement on Brannen (/thread-919499.html)

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Bcatbog - 04-05-2021 06:27 PM

(04-05-2021 06:15 PM)skyblade Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 05:41 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 05:24 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 04:39 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 04:09 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Exhibit “A” on what I have said about the media.

This entire mess was created by John Brannen because he sucks at coaching young men and his presence as coach is not healthy for the program or the university.

It shouldn’t scare a single coach that does it the right way and it is good at their job. Players should be happy the school is going to bat for them and not their moronic coach.

There are going to players available all spring and summer, good ones too, stop trying to scare UC fans. The right hire will win here because they will be good at their job. The key is finding the right guy after letting this clown go.

That was your take after listening to that? God love ya, credit to your persistence.

Exactly. I disagree with Chad plenty of times, but he has every incentive to boost UC whenever possible unless/until it impairs his credibility. It's pretty clear those values are in conflict right now and he's siding with the latter (as he should).

Chad's incentive is to boost himself/his brand.

Justin Williams seems to have overtaken Chad in terms of UC basketball insider info and has taken the unbiased (or pro-UC) route. Chad may be getting desperate not to get passed by as the go to guy when in comes to UC basketball insider info.

Ironically, given that he is close friends with Brannen, Chad's insider connections with Cincinnati basketball are almost non-existent since Cronin left. Listen to how much of what he says is just pure speculation. Is it possible that he knows that he's not going to develop connections with JC or the admins (too tight lipped), so he is making a play to win over the next coach by showing how he defended this one?

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Bcatbog - 04-05-2021 06:28 PM

This entire mess was created by John Brannen because he sucks at coaching young men and his presence as coach is not healthy for the program or the university.

It shouldn’t scare a single coach that does it the right way and it is good at their job. Players should be happy the school is going to bat for them and not their moronic coach.

There are going to players available all spring and summer, good ones too, stop trying to scare UC fans. The right hire will win here because they will be good at their job. The key is finding the right guy after letting this clown go.

That was your take after listening to that? God love ya, credit to your persistence.

Exactly. I disagree with Chad plenty of times, but he has every incentive to boost UC whenever possible unless/until it impairs his credibility. It's pretty clear those values are in conflict right now and he's siding with the latter (as he should).

Justin Williams seems to have overtaken Chad in terms of UC basketball insider info and has taken the unbiased (or pro-UC) route. Chad may be getting desperate not to get passed by as the go to guy when in comes to UC basketball insider info.

Ironically, given that he is close friends with Brannen, Chad's insider connections with Cincinnati basketball are almost non-existent since Cronin left. Listen to how much of what he says is just pure speculation. Is it possible that he knows that he's not going to develop connections with JC or the admins (too tight lipped), so he is making a play to win over the next coach by showing how he defended this one?

I agree with everything Chad said.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatJerry - 04-05-2021 06:39 PM

Like I said somewhere up-stream... I think the real issue now is John Cunningham. We can say what we want about Brannen being incompetent, but Cunningham has really screwed the pooch on this one. And, no, I'm not talking about his lack of public communication. I'm talking about s*** like "locking" his door to avoid talking to Brannen and issuing a statement that was, at best, premature.

Cunningham has got to go worse than Brannen at this point. Seriously. This cluster**** lands on his desk.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Former Lurker - 04-05-2021 06:45 PM

(04-05-2021 06:39 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Like I said somewhere up-stream... I think the real issue now is John Cunningham. We can say what we want about Brannen being incompetent, but Cunningham has really screwed the pooch on this one. And, no, I'm not talking about his lack of public communication. I'm talking about s*** like "locking" his door to avoid talking to Brannen and issuing a statement that was, at best, premature.

Cunningham has got to go worse than Brannen at this point. Seriously. This cluster**** lands on his desk.

Too soon to render a final judgment, but it is not looking good for Cunningham. He appears to be prioritizing saving the buyout over the health of the program, and will likely end up paying at least half and still setting the program back years.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - UCBearcatlawjd2 - 04-05-2021 06:54 PM

UC is following a process to terminate an employee with cause. That process takes time. Would you rather they just fire him and pay him without investigating?

I understand moving on now so the new coach can recruit but the holdup is due to the need to follow the process. We wouldn’t be here if Brannen didn’t screw things up.

I can’t understand why all UC fans aren’t furious at Brannen for basically trying to tank the program after two years. My loyalty is to the school I earned two degrees and grad certificate from not a coach.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rtaylor - 04-05-2021 06:55 PM

Holy crap this is moronic, even for you.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - eroc - 04-05-2021 07:03 PM

(04-05-2021 06:46 AM)dave108 Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 05:30 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Seems like Brannen’s team is digging their heels in. Feels like this will be dragged out as long as possible.

there's enough blame to go around in this clusterf%#. Brannen looks more clueless every day. on bearcat journal, someone posted a reference to a thread, from when brannen was hired, about transfers and related issues at NKU - sounded a little "familiar". someone copied a tweet from jay sorolla about karma. CJB's is not blameless. but, the AD, to me, is more at fault. late / tardy statement, that did nothing to quell the situation. delay, delay, delay. i get that he may be doing due diligence, etc. but, the longer this goes, the worse it looks for the school. would prospective coaches think twice, before signing on with cunningham? i don't know.

when IU got rid of miller, it was pretty quiet, until a definitive announcement was made. the laundry wasn't done in public. if, as most people suspect, the AD is trying to find / create "cause", to try to not pay CJB, ok. but that should never have come out, as it has through the AD's dumb ass releases. its too late to do this discreetly. now, they just need to wrap it up. not a godd lucj for the school the coah and/or the fledgling AD.

imo, this is where the AD made his biggest mistake. Once you decide that you are going to fire the coach, you have to have the money lined up. if you don't then you have what's going on rn, playing for a "for cause" termination. i know ppl are saying that we don't have the money to do so. if you don't have the money to fire the coach, maybe you should consider a different strategy altogether.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - QSECOFR - 04-05-2021 07:03 PM

(04-05-2021 06:10 PM)GameTime_21 Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 05:41 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 05:32 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 02:59 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  I am getting frustrated that certain media outlets continue to back Brannen and undermine UC. Especially when UC’s success is pivotal for them.

I understand you might have a friendship or relation with John Brannen but blaming the AD or telling us both sides are wrong isn’t ok. The only reason this is taking a long time is because UC had to follow a process to fire him for cause. The clown show coach brought this on UC. Blame Bohn for the hire and the contract but stop putting this on the current administration.

Maybe that's on the AD for not developing the right relationships with the media? If we are going to bottom-line (i.e. buck stops here) the player transfers as Brannen's failure to develop the right relationship with the players, it seems reasonable to bottom-line the public criticisms as Cunningham's failure to build the right relationships with the press and fans? Where does that buck stop if not with the AD?

I think is really clear that a bunch of people have pre-existing friendship with John Brannen that go back from is time at NKU and at Marshall. Nothing wrong with that. Long run it makes since if WLW, BCJ, and the Enquirer build relationships and maintain a more unbiased approach with the current administration as they are going to be here next season.

If I'm shilling for Brannen, why is it I have said from the start of this mess that he clearly did not handle the season well and the root of the issue is on him as the man running the program?

I am also not about to go to bat for Cunningham if I don't feel as if he handled his end of this situation properly.

Yes I have known Brannen since we were both students at Marshall in the mid 90s. I also have a job to do. A job I was doing when he got here and I'll be doing it when he's gone. I'm loyal to me and providing for my family above all. Everyone here that knows me will back that reality...

I’ve known Chad since he was a very young guy trying to establish himself. I’ve never known Chad to be less than 100% honest. If all journalists were as honest and forthright as Chad, we would all be much better off.

Chad, keep doing what you do best.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - GameTime_21 - 04-05-2021 07:05 PM

(04-05-2021 07:03 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 06:10 PM)GameTime_21 Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 05:41 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 05:32 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 02:59 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  I am getting frustrated that certain media outlets continue to back Brannen and undermine UC. Especially when UC’s success is pivotal for them.

I understand you might have a friendship or relation with John Brannen but blaming the AD or telling us both sides are wrong isn’t ok. The only reason this is taking a long time is because UC had to follow a process to fire him for cause. The clown show coach brought this on UC. Blame Bohn for the hire and the contract but stop putting this on the current administration.

Maybe that's on the AD for not developing the right relationships with the media? If we are going to bottom-line (i.e. buck stops here) the player transfers as Brannen's failure to develop the right relationship with the players, it seems reasonable to bottom-line the public criticisms as Cunningham's failure to build the right relationships with the press and fans? Where does that buck stop if not with the AD?

I think is really clear that a bunch of people have pre-existing friendship with John Brannen that go back from is time at NKU and at Marshall. Nothing wrong with that. Long run it makes since if WLW, BCJ, and the Enquirer build relationships and maintain a more unbiased approach with the current administration as they are going to be here next season.

If I'm shilling for Brannen, why is it I have said from the start of this mess that he clearly did not handle the season well and the root of the issue is on him as the man running the program?

I am also not about to go to bat for Cunningham if I don't feel as if he handled his end of this situation properly.

Yes I have known Brannen since we were both students at Marshall in the mid 90s. I also have a job to do. A job I was doing when he got here and I'll be doing it when he's gone. I'm loyal to me and providing for my family above all. Everyone here that knows me will back that reality...

I’ve known Chad since he was a very young guy trying to establish himself. I’ve never known Chad to be less than 100% honest. If all journalists were as honest and forthright as Chad, we would all be much better off.

Chad, keep doing what you do best.

Thanks, Q...

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - geef - 04-05-2021 07:09 PM

(04-05-2021 06:55 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 04:39 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Exhibit “A” on what I have said about the media.

Holy crap this is moronic, even for you.

Yeah, I laughed audibly when I read that. Granted, who wouldn't want to erect a fortress around the brand of semi-surly, bearded dude who works for near minimum to deliver quality content about a program we all love? Chad is more careful than nearly anyone leading a site like this. That's likely to the detriment of his "brand", but does a helluva lot to build his credibility. And he has plenty of that. By the way, Chad, you're a loveable sort of surly, kind of in the rath mode.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rtaylor - 04-05-2021 07:46 PM

(04-05-2021 06:21 PM)GameTime_21 Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 04:39 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Exhibit “A” on what I have said about the media.

I have had a ton of insider info on this situation over the past 3 weeks. I'm just putting it on BCJ, where it makes me money. Giving that info away for free doesn't make much sense. Safe to say you have read me completely wrong on this one...

Full disclaimer, I’m tired and ornery right now. A few well deserved cocktails after working my azz off the last 3 weeks, with very little break in between. Fack that guy. Chad , keep doing what you do. You do it well.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatJerry - 04-05-2021 07:50 PM

(04-05-2021 06:54 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  

UC is following a process to terminate an employee with cause. That process takes time. Would you rather they just fire him and pay him without investigating?

I understand moving on now so the new coach can recruit but the holdup is due to the need to follow the process. We wouldn’t be here if Brannen didn’t screw things up.

I can’t understand why all UC fans aren’t furious at Brannen for basically trying to tank the program after two years. My loyalty is to the school I earned two degrees and grad certificate from not a coach.

Sorry, but I have worked for corporations and even Universities that have "policies" that prohibit public comment on personnel matters. If UC is "following a process to terminate an employee with cause" THEN the AD should have said, "I'm sorry but I cannot comment on that right now." By breaking the silence by "commenting" on Brannen's situation in the way they did, they broke confidentiality and now Brannen has an actual case to argue that he's not "at blame" and needs full compensation since the AD has created a hostile work environment. You simply do NOT comment on someone's employment unless you have your ducks together and are ready to terminate them.

This, again, is proof of Cunningham's incompetence...which for a "Compliance Specialist" is even more alarming.

And for the record, I was not one of the ones screaming "The AD ought to tell us something" back on DAY 1 of the crisis. Actually, I said the AD SHOULDN'T be saying anything. But if the AD did need to say something, every PR expert tells you to "Say as little as possible and stay as generic as possible." A statement like "We're looking into it" would have been more than enough. Or, "We're very concerned for the welfare of our players and students...we're investigating the culture of the program" would have been more than enough. Instead we got, "We're investigating NCAA violations" when, apparently, there are none. And then, "We've placed Brannen on indefinite leave."

Now everyone knows the game is "You're getting fired" and it's going to be tried in the courts and the court-of-public opinion. That's a lose-lose proposition.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Former Lurker - 04-05-2021 08:14 PM

(04-05-2021 07:03 PM)eroc Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 06:46 AM)dave108 Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 05:30 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Seems like Brannen’s team is digging their heels in. Feels like this will be dragged out as long as possible.

there's enough blame to go around in this clusterf%#. Brannen looks more clueless every day. on bearcat journal, someone posted a reference to a thread, from when brannen was hired, about transfers and related issues at NKU - sounded a little "familiar". someone copied a tweet from jay sorolla about karma. CJB's is not blameless. but, the AD, to me, is more at fault. late / tardy statement, that did nothing to quell the situation. delay, delay, delay. i get that he may be doing due diligence, etc. but, the longer this goes, the worse it looks for the school. would prospective coaches think twice, before signing on with cunningham? i don't know.

when IU got rid of miller, it was pretty quiet, until a definitive announcement was made. the laundry wasn't done in public. if, as most people suspect, the AD is trying to find / create "cause", to try to not pay CJB, ok. but that should never have come out, as it has through the AD's dumb ass releases. its too late to do this discreetly. now, they just need to wrap it up. not a godd lucj for the school the coah and/or the fledgling AD.

imo, this is where the AD made his biggest mistake. Once you decide that you are going to fire the coach, you have to have the money lined up. if you don't then you have what's going on rn, playing for a "for cause" termination. i know ppl are saying that we don't have the money to do so. if you don't have the money to fire the coach, maybe you should consider a different strategy altogether.

Right. He hasn't been anything special, but if your university really, truly, no-s--t can't afford the buyout, you have to consider working with him to bring him up to par before passing the point of no return to the road to termination.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - levydl - 04-05-2021 08:36 PM

(04-05-2021 07:50 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Sorry, but I have worked for corporations and even Universities that have "policies" that prohibit public comment on personnel matters. If UC is "following a process to terminate an employee with cause" THEN the AD should have said, "I'm sorry but I cannot comment on that right now." By breaking the silence by "commenting" on Brannen's situation in the way they did, they broke confidentiality and now Brannen has an actual case to argue that he's not "at blame" and needs full compensation since the AD has created a hostile work environment. You simply do NOT comment on someone's employment unless you have your ducks together and are ready to terminate them.

This, again, is proof of Cunningham's incompetence...which for a "Compliance Specialist" is even more alarming.

And for the record, I was not one of the ones screaming "The AD ought to tell us something" back on DAY 1 of the crisis. Actually, I said the AD SHOULDN'T be saying anything. But if the AD did need to say something, every PR expert tells you to "Say as little as possible and stay as generic as possible." A statement like "We're looking into it" would have been more than enough. Or, "We're very concerned for the welfare of our players and students...we're investigating the culture of the program" would have been more than enough. Instead we got, "We're investigating NCAA violations" when, apparently, there are none. And then, "We've placed Brannen on indefinite leave."

Now everyone knows the game is "You're getting fired" and it's going to be tried in the courts and the court-of-public opinion. That's a lose-lose proposition.

The AD doesn't owe Brannen any duty of confidentiality and what you have described has nothing to do with a hostile work environment.

I wish Cunningham would hurry up, but he is going to fire Brannen and it's not unwarranted, and I don't want the AD to pay any more money to him than absolutely necessary, so let's see how this concludes and who Cunningam hires as the next head coach before we deem him incompetent. He didn't make this mess, let's see if he can clean it up.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rath v2.0 - 04-05-2021 09:04 PM

Not being able to afford something is different than not wanting to afford something. UC has $5 mill in the couch cushions if it really needs it. It’s a rounding error in the budget.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatMan - 04-05-2021 10:35 PM

(04-05-2021 09:04 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Not being able to afford something is different than not wanting to afford something. UC has $5 mill in the couch cushions if it really needs it. It’s a rounding error in the budget.

Ehhhh...sure...they could cut a department in A&S to fund a buyout for a coach if they wanted to, but it's not like there is just a load of unspoken for cash in an institutional budget. Everyone throws "but the endowment!" around...but you can't really pull money from endowed funds without renegotiating fund agreements with the donor, and im not sure many would be appreciative of their millions going to firing a guy as opposed to what they wanted it to go to. I had to sit in a fund agreement restructuring meeting last summer with a major, established donor who was about to pull all of his money because it was being reassigned from naming a room to float funding salaries for 12 employees' salaries for the next 3 years...it'snot easy to convince someone to destroy their vision for the sake of firing a guy. Sure, they could have a bounded surplus to pull from based on their portfolio's real return vs. expected return in the last year, but I doubt there is $5M in there either with all of the earmarked done to try to stretch budgets this past year. With the haircut so many departments took with their budgets this year, I'm not certain that money could be found without hurting a lot of people to do it.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - QSECOFR - 04-05-2021 10:52 PM

(04-05-2021 10:35 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 09:04 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Not being able to afford something is different than not wanting to afford something. UC has $5 mill in the couch cushions if it really needs it. It’s a rounding error in the budget.

Ehhhh...sure...they could cut a department in A&S to fund a buyout for a coach if they wanted to, but it's not like there is just a load of unspoken for cash in an institutional budget. Everyone throws "but the endowment!" around...but you can't really pull money from endowed funds without renegotiating fund agreements with the donor, and im not sure many would be appreciative of their millions going to firing a guy as opposed to what they wanted it to go to. I had to sit in a fund agreement restructuring meeting last summer with a major, established donor who was about to pull all of his money because it was being reassigned from naming a room to float funding salaries for 12 employees' salaries for the next 3 years...it'snot easy to convince someone to destroy their vision for the sake of firing a guy. Sure, they could have a bounded surplus to pull from based on their portfolio's real return vs. expected return in the last year, but I doubt there is $5M in there either with all of the earmarked done to try to stretch budgets this past year. With the haircut so many departments took with their budgets this year, I'm not certain that money could be found without hurting a lot of people to do it.

Many donations are spoken for (e.g., a wad of cash for CCM). Many donations are not designated such that they can be used for any purpose the university desires. I am willing to bet that there is far more than $5mm available in discretionary endowment funds.

Someone I used to work with gave $20mm to IU every year. $10mm was earmarked and the other $10mm wasn’t.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Bearcatbdub - 04-05-2021 10:52 PM

This thread should be renamed “UC stalemate on Brannen”

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatMan - 04-06-2021 06:33 AM

(04-05-2021 10:52 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  
(04-05-2021 10:35 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Many donations are spoken for (e.g., a wad of cash for CCM). Many donations are not designated such that they can be used for any purpose the university desires. I am willing to bet that there is far more than $5mm available in discretionary endowment funds.

Someone I used to work with gave $20mm to IU every year. $10mm was earmarked and the other $10mm wasn’t.

Normally I would agree with you...but after the cuts that were sustained last year to the General Operating Budget, I'm not sure how much of the discretionary cash is even available and how much was earmarked for College/Office use in the general operations. Plus, there's that added little tidbit of endowment funds having timed disbursements (ie why they're called endowed funds in the first place), so you can't just pull all of the money from them at one time. The Foundation needs all of that money to earn their budgeted yearly disbursements based on their portfolio, if you take $5M out of that, you're looking at needing to improve your return by 1%+ in a year.

I know my University (roughly 1/3rd of the endowment and about 40% if the operating budget of UC) not only ate up all of the discretionary accounts up to their annual limit, but also borrowed against future earnings so they didn't have to cut more personnel this last year. Its a bloodbath at most institutions, im just not sure where UC stands, and how much public or private backlash there would be for a department already eating up $35M+ every year from the general fund to take another $5M.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rath v2.0 - 04-06-2021 06:52 AM

They’d find it if they needed to. But they don’t need to yet. The endowment use has rules for use...but it does have break glass in case of emergency provisions...if the endowment made just 1% annually the daily interest would pay for a 5 million buyout in about 2 weeks.