CSNbbs
UC Statement on Brannen - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: UC Statement on Brannen (/thread-919499.html)

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - bearcatmark - 04-04-2021 07:50 AM

(04-04-2021 07:37 AM)chatcat Wrote:  Can you imagine the stigma that will be attached to this program if UC can't find money to fire Brannen? No decent player will come here as long as he is coach. The administration has put the program between a rock and a hard place.

Given the statement from Brannen's lawyer I'd be surprised if he isn't gone in the next few days. I'll be stunned if he's not gone within the week.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Coopdaddy67 - 04-04-2021 08:03 AM

(04-04-2021 07:37 AM)chatcat Wrote:  Can you imagine the stigma that will be attached to this program if UC can't find money to fire Brannen? No decent player will come here as long as he is coach. The administration has put the program between a rock and a hard place.

He's been effectively gone since this thread began. There's no coming back.

It comes down to whether or not Cincinnati has cause to fire him. Frankly, the fact that he hasn't been fired yet tells me that they don't have much.

The last thing Cincinnati needs is for this to get even uglier. Pay the buyout and move on.

They're trying to damage Brannen right now publicly (fair or not, who knows) and something tells me they're going to hit back. Tom Mars clearly loves battles like these and he has a pretty damn good success rate.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - bearcatmark - 04-04-2021 08:06 AM

(04-04-2021 08:03 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  

He's been effectively gone since this thread began. There's no coming back.

It comes down to whether or not Cincinnati has cause to fire him. Frankly, the fact that he hasn't been fired yet tells me that they don't have much.

The last thing Cincinnati needs is for this to get even uglier. Pay the buyout and move on.

They're trying to damage Brannen right now publicly (fair or not, who knows) and something tells me they're going to hit back. Tom Mars clearly loves battles like these and he has a pretty damn good success rate.

I'm not sure that's the case. They've been tight lipped about things. They haven't really said anything other than they're looking into it. I think uc would rather settle quietly without dragging Brannen's name through the mud.
The only reason things are out is i think Brannen's lawyer has accepted Brannen is out and is trying to win public opinion.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - CliftonAve - 04-04-2021 08:47 AM

JB’s attorney has a couple jobs:

1. To advocate for his client.
2. To put a little scratch in JB’s pocket.
3. To keep this incident from damaging his reputation, so that he will be able to be hired in the future.

Negotiated settlement will be announced soon.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - mptnstr@44 - 04-04-2021 09:18 AM

(04-04-2021 08:47 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  JB’s attorney has a couple jobs:

3. To keep this incident from damaging his reputation, so that he will be able to be hired in the future.

Might even be today so it gets buried in the news cycle with few noticing as people are enjoying a holiday. More likely tomorrow. The announcements of the past few days are just setting up for the actual parting ways announcement.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatMan - 04-04-2021 09:27 AM

(04-04-2021 09:18 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  

Might even be today so it gets buried in the news cycle with few noticing as people are enjoying a holiday. More likely tomorrow. The announcements of the past few days are just setting up for the actual parting ways announcement.

Yep...I think we're going to have a new coach by the end of the week honestly. This is going to get buttoned up quickly and as quietly as possible.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Bear Catlett - 04-04-2021 09:28 AM

They need to hurry up and get this done so we can get Pitino in here and recruiting.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - BearcatMan - 04-04-2021 09:44 AM

(04-04-2021 09:28 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  They need to hurry up and get this done so we can get Pitino in here and recruiting.

Lol...not happening.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - mptnstr@44 - 04-04-2021 09:53 AM

While there is no debating Rick Pitino is a great coach, I can't see Pinto, who got stuck with the clean up on aisle 9 from the hot mess Pitno left at UofL, signing off on hiring Rick Pitino to UC. Now if Richard Pitino was available maybe.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Bearcat 1985 - 04-04-2021 10:20 AM

People need to have patience and let this play out. Didn't OSU rush to fire the guy before Matta for cheating. Told him to resign and, when he refused, then fired him on the spot. Ended up paying a multi-million dollar wrongful termination lawsuit despite clearly having "cause."

Pinto and UC are being deliberate and professional and dotting all the I's. When the time is right, they'll act, and UC will move forward.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - mptnstr@44 - 04-04-2021 10:28 AM

(04-04-2021 10:20 AM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  People need to have patience and let this play out. Didn't OSU rush to fire the guy before Matta for cheating. Told him to resign and, when he refused, then fired him on the spot. Ended up paying a multi-million dollar wrongful termination lawsuit despite clearly having "cause."

Pinto and UC are being deliberate and professional and dotting all the I's. When the time is right, they'll act, and UC will move forward.

Agree with not over rushing and being careless but the primary concern is getting a new coach in and getting guys to commit out of the transfer portal. The basketball season effectively ends tomorrow.
Right now UC has what 3 scholarship players for 2021-22?
If Brannen is fired (likely) does UC retain those 3?
While it might be a nice idea to sit back and let this take it's time to work itself out naturally... there is a clock ticking or we are back to another self imposed death penalty and rebuild with football players filling out roster spots.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - robertfoshizzle - 04-04-2021 10:30 AM

The Athletic article that came out yesterday has some pretty damning quotes from a player who had previously declined to comment. Sounds like Brannen is more of an a-hole than the average coach, and has no clue how to read his team. I've taken a cautious, wait-and-see approach to this whole process, and up until recently, thought giving Brannen one more season to right the ship made the most sense given the circumstances he has coached under and the financial ramifications of firing him after year 2. However, I now believe Cunningham is absolutely justified in his actions, as any good AD would be very concerned by the allegations that are coming out. I'm looking forward to moving with a new head coach, and I think we're in good hands having a lawyer/compliance guru like Cunningham leading this process.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Lurkercat - 04-04-2021 10:45 AM

(04-04-2021 10:30 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  The Athletic article that came out yesterday has some pretty damning quotes from a player who had previously declined to comment. Sounds like Brannen is more of an a-hole than the average coach, and has no clue how to read his team. I've taken a cautious, wait-and-see approach to this whole process, and up until recently, thought giving Brannen one more season to right the ship made the most sense given the circumstances he has coached under and the financial ramifications of firing him after year 2. However, I now believe Cunningham is absolutely justified in his actions, as any good AD would be very concerned by the allegations that are coming out. I'm looking forward to moving with a new head coach, and I think we're in good hands having a lawyer/compliance guru like Cunningham leading this process.

I'm completely with you. I keep reading posts on here and 247 saying the AD is an idiot and is incompetent. Maybe that's true, but it sounds like he has players walking into his office complaining about the coach and possible violations. Idk how he was supposed to get around that without investigating

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - colohank - 04-04-2021 10:57 AM

JB’s attorney has a couple jobs (amended):

2. To put as much scratch as possible in JB’s pocket. See item 2(a).
2(a). To put a healthy percentage of JB's settlement in his own pocket.
3. To keep this incident from damaging JB's reputation, so that he will be able to be hired in the future.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Bearcatbdub - 04-04-2021 12:18 PM

I can’t see anyway this team is competitive next year under the circumstances. Maybe the portal changes things, I’d love to be wrong.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Bcatbog - 04-04-2021 12:23 PM

(04-03-2021 10:53 PM)bearcat54 Wrote:  
(04-03-2021 09:23 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(04-03-2021 09:11 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(04-03-2021 08:50 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  [Image: NewMars_zzwysw.jpg]

Mars Law Firm

Woah! Cunningham, and by extension UC, is going to get taken to the woodshed is my guess.

Not really. Brannen is going to get fired. UC will have a new coach. All wins for this program long term. I just can’t see why people defend this coach. This isn’t Huggins who won a lot and basically built the modern image of the program but had personal issues and some knucklehead players that led to his undoing. This is a coach that has underachieved in two years, is at odds with his players and boss, and is doing his best right now to destroy the program.

I understood the Huggins loyalist who felt he got screwed over. I understand the Cronin loyalist who believe Mick saved the program and deserves everything he ever wanted. I don’t get the Brannen defenders. He sucked here. He is easily replaced and will quickly become a footnote in the history of the program along the lines of Andy Kennedy.

you probably were one of those fans that wanted Cronin fired and then was mad that Brannen got hired. Well, Cronin made the Final Four which shows his coaching was very good. You will never accept any coach of not getting UC to the final four. It's tougher for any coach to recruit teams like that at UC today. Learn to accept having good seasons and getting to NCAA tourneys or it will eat you up.
Hopefully, when this mess is over, Brannen is still coaching at UC and Cunningham gets tossed out on the street. Sounds alot like the RINOS that wanted President Trump removed when he knew how to run a nation and create jobs.

(04-03-2021 10:57 PM)bearcat54 Wrote:  
(04-03-2021 10:31 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  
(04-03-2021 09:58 PM)stpnum4 Wrote:  The whole narrative about Brannen running kids into the ground during practice seems plausible. New coach in a high pressure job has one of the youngest teams in the country coming into the season. Covid eliminates offseason/pre-season workouts/conditioning. Team shows up to practice not looking so crisp and coach tries to make it up all year until the players rebel and demand shorter practices.

The problem for UC is why did Cunningham wait until April 3 to suspend Brannen if it was known that the players' wellbeing was jeopardized by Brannen? If these practice incidents occured weeks/months ago, and the allegations are legitimate, why wasn't an investigated conducted then? These questions are why I think UC is going to be paying Brannen to go away.

One news report said that the university reprimanded Brannen during the season. If true, and if Brannen brought himself into compliance with the AD's demand(s), you are probably correct.

IF Removing a head coach because he yells at players to motivate them is now the norm, then I don't care who uc has running the program because it will no longer be a competitive team anymore.

(04-04-2021 10:45 AM)Lurkercat Wrote:  
(04-04-2021 10:30 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  The Athletic article that came out yesterday has some pretty damning quotes from a player who had previously declined to comment. Sounds like Brannen is more of an a-hole than the average coach, and has no clue how to read his team. I've taken a cautious, wait-and-see approach to this whole process, and up until recently, thought giving Brannen one more season to right the ship made the most sense given the circumstances he has coached under and the financial ramifications of firing him after year 2. However, I now believe Cunningham is absolutely justified in his actions, as any good AD would be very concerned by the allegations that are coming out. I'm looking forward to moving with a new head coach, and I think we're in good hands having a lawyer/compliance guru like Cunningham leading this process.

I'm completely with you. I keep reading posts on here and 247 saying the AD is an idiot and is incompetent. Maybe that's true, but it sounds like he has players walking into his office complaining about the coach and possible violations. Idk how he was supposed to get around that without investigating

The problem is timing. If there was such a severe issue - finding it at the end of March seems ridiculous. Me thinks he now doing butt covering as best possible after the situation blew up on him - and woke him up?

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Bearhawkeye - 04-04-2021 12:41 PM

(04-04-2021 10:45 AM)Lurkercat Wrote:  

No problem with investigating. But get it done when you learn about it which was reportedly many months ago at least. If you find problems, put solutions and checks/balances in place and monitor them. If Brannen doesn't comply, it's a relatively clean and easy termination decision at the end of the season or earlier.

If there is anything of merit found against Brannen, it sounds like the first question for UC by the NCAA and/or the legal process is when do you learn of it and what did you do about it? Unless all the reports of there being ongoing complaints over several (many?) months to the AD are false, I don't think "well we waited until the season ended and 6 players entered the portal and then decided we need to conduct a lengthy investigation that apparently doesn't include actually talking to the coach." is going to cut it.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rath v2.0 - 04-04-2021 04:58 PM

He’s not coaching here again.

If UC said all is forgiven, no harm no foul Brannen’s attorney is likely going to claim constructive termination or something em to that end and want the full buyout.

This has the potential to make 2005 look tame. Grab the popcorn.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - rath v2.0 - 04-04-2021 05:51 PM

Oh heck...if the Justin Williams article is accurate Brannen’s unlikely to be a HC again.

RE: UC Statement on Brannen - Hemond - 04-04-2021 06:33 PM

Brannen has to go.