CSNbbs
Big Downside for Most Players in Transfer Portal - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: Big Downside for Most Players in Transfer Portal (/thread-919497.html)

Big Downside for Most Players in Transfer Portal - epasnoopy - 03-26-2021 10:32 AM

https://theathletic.com/2478019/2021/03/26/gary-patterson-on-tcus-chemistry-transfers-remote-recruiting-and-college-footballs-big-picture

Quote:One thing people aren’t understanding about the one-time transfer stuff. At the end of the day, one percent go on to the NFL. For the 99 percent, it’s all about maturing and learning how to work hard. There are so many things that come out of this game over the years that players who have been through it know. If you don’t have a great foundation, it’s hard to keep all that. I hope people keep that view from 10,000 feet when the dust clears in two or three years, that we’ve come around to doing what’s right for young men and not always is doing right only by putting money in their pockets. You just watch the transfer portal. Look at all the guys who didn’t get scholarships. I think I saw a night where it was 1,400, 1,500, or 1,600 guys in the portal and only 260 or 270 ended up with scholarships. If we’re not careful here … When freshmen come in, they work so much harder than they did when they were seniors in high school. They all have thoughts about leaving, transferring. But it was hard to do that. They grew up and went about their business.

There are always circumstances where a transfer is going to be better for somebody. But I know there are guys who have left places and are with me right now this spring that wish they wouldn’t have.

RE: Big Downside for Most Players in Transfer Portal - OUVan - 03-31-2021 09:21 AM

(03-26-2021 10:32 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Look at all the guys who didn’t get scholarships.[/b] I think I saw a night where it was 1,400, 1,500, or 1,600 guys in the portal and only 260 or 270 ended up with scholarships.

I wonder if the same thing is true in basketball.

RE: Big Downside for Most Players in Transfer Portal - epasnoopy - 03-31-2021 07:10 PM

(03-31-2021 09:21 AM)OUVan Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 10:32 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Look at all the guys who didn’t get scholarships.[/b] I think I saw a night where it was 1,400, 1,500, or 1,600 guys in the portal and only 260 or 270 ended up with scholarships.

I wonder if the same thing is true in basketball.

I imagine so. A lot of players that have left NIU or maye even other MAC schools are probably not good enough to play at D1 level. I can think of a lot of such players that were on our roster that just weren't D1 talent.