CSNbbs
CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? (/thread-919473.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - georgia_tech_swagger - 03-25-2021 08:52 PM

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/media-rights-expert-sees-xfl-cfl-merger-worth-as-much-as-100-million-us

I genuinely think a CFL-XFL merger could work. Give the never-successful Montreal team the axe. 8 Canadian teams in one division. 8 American teams in the other. If the XFL is smart, they'll pick the markets without NFL teams that did well under the AAF or XFL. San Antonio. Salt Lake City. Those type places. Keep the rouge. Stick with 4 downs. Start whenever the TV money tells you to start.

I'd watch it. I watched a ton of early season CFL (July/August) until it got moved onto ESPN+. The CFL didn't adjust their schedule much when the NFL and NCAA got going, so I never saw much after that beyond the Grey Cup.

They could take kids right out of High School if they wanted, letting those who want to earn a check do so immediately. Would this lead to less elite players bothering with college? Will this shake up all of DavidSt's projected DIII/DII call ups?

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - Love and Honor - 03-25-2021 09:51 PM

The XFL had a ton going for it. Awful luck starting up in 2020. Would love to see XFL rules implemented into college or pro football.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - AssyrianDuke - 03-25-2021 10:29 PM

Went to the first DC Defenders game and it was a blast. I also thought some of the newer safety rules kept the game fun and lively without making it feel softer. I think the XFL can work again. I thought the AAF would work as well, but they had issues with one of the biggest investors... umm, not investing money.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - BullsFanInTX - 03-25-2021 11:03 PM

(03-25-2021 08:52 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  If the XFL is smart, they'll pick the markets without NFL teams that did well under the AAF or XFL. San Antonio. Salt Lake City. Those type places.

Yep, San Antonio, for example, had far and away the best attendance in the AAF league. Orlando is another market that is a must for the XFL/CFL.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - georgia_tech_swagger - 03-25-2021 11:15 PM

Here's a hypothetical merged rule set that sounds vastly superior to the NFL and NCAA to me:

- American field dimensions (smaller than CFL)
- American goal post locations (smaller than CFL)
- 4 downs
- XFL running clock, CFL Final 3 Minutes
- XFL kickoffs.
- CFL WR Motion Rules
- CFL Rouge
- XFL Sky Judge
- CFL roster size
- XFL Extra Point Tiers

CFL: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, Toronto
XFL: Salt Lake City, San Diego, Colorado Springs, San Antonio, Louisville, Birmingham, Orlando, Greenville

SLC, SD, Orlando, and SA were successful in having 20k+ draw routinely. Everybody else in the AAF didn't do so hot for attendance. I added Colorado Springs to round out a 4 team west and then kept the CFL/AAF crossover in Birmingham on the basis that UAB's new stadium instead of Legion Field alleviates the attendance issue. I then added Louisville and Greenville to round out a 4 team east.

Everybody listed has major football facilities already there. Everybody listed has a proven attendance track record or is in an underserved area that draws well in CFB but will likely never have a pro team in football otherwise. Everybody listed has major air hub access or a super fast tie in to one.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - esayem - 03-26-2021 12:22 AM

I’m not saying successful minor league football can’t happen. It just costs a lot more than other sports and fans don’t really care. Memphis Mad Dogs, Orlando Thunder, Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks, Las Vegas Outlaws, New York-New Jersey....

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - ken d - 03-26-2021 07:58 AM

(03-25-2021 11:15 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Here's a hypothetical merged rule set that sounds vastly superior to the NFL and NCAA to me:

- 4 downs
- XFL kickoffs.
- CFL WR Motion Rules
- CFL Rouge
- XFL Sky Judge
- CFL roster size
- XFL Extra Point Tiers

CFL: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, Toronto
XFL: Salt Lake City, San Diego, Colorado Springs, San Antonio, Louisville, Birmingham, Orlando, Greenville

SLC, SD, Orlando, and SA were successful in having 20k+ draw routinely. Everybody else in the AAF didn't do so hot for attendance. I added Colorado Springs to round out a 4 team west and then kept the CFL/AAF crossover in Birmingham on the basis that UAB's new stadium instead of Legion Field alleviates the attendance issue. I then added Louisville and Greenville to round out a 4 team east.

Everybody listed has major football facilities already there. Everybody listed has a proven attendance track record or is in an underserved area that draws well in CFB but will likely never have a pro team in football otherwise. Everybody listed has major air hub access or a super fast tie in to one.

If drawing G5 size crowds is a success, the bar isn't set very high. What were their TV ratings? I don't expect I'd watch many games no matter what time of year they are played, for the same reasons I don't watch many cornhole matches.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - Crayton - 03-26-2021 08:28 AM

The CFL can keep their field dimensions (not unlike MLB parks), but 4 downs is a must. Other rule differences are a little smaller and may or may not be kept, with a single standard set for “interleague” play.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - Frank the Tank - 03-26-2021 08:33 AM

(03-26-2021 07:58 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(03-25-2021 11:15 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Here's a hypothetical merged rule set that sounds vastly superior to the NFL and NCAA to me:

- 4 downs
- XFL kickoffs.
- CFL WR Motion Rules
- CFL Rouge
- XFL Sky Judge
- CFL roster size
- XFL Extra Point Tiers

If drawing G5 size crowds is a success, the bar isn't set very high. What were their TV ratings? I don't expect I'd watch many games no matter what time of year they are played, for the same reasons I don't watch many cornhole matches.

Yes, this is a core problem with every single pro football league proposal. They require major league costs in order to run them, but even the best case scenario is that they receive minor league attendance and TV ratings (the latter being essentially non-existent). That’s a recipe for a quick financial collapse.

I think people waaaaay overestimate the appeal of watching any type of football for the sake of football while underestimating how important brands and traditions are to our viewing habits. Power conference college football (and for that matter, basketball) is able to combine minor league talent with major league brands and that symbiotic relationship creates a valuable product that competes with major leagues. In contrast, minor league talent with minor league brands can’t really be anything more than a minor league. (By the same token, true amateur AKA less than minor league talent combined with major college brands can only hope for minor league value, too. See how much less money that college baseball and hockey make compared to college football and basketball.)

What’s the easiest way to become a millionaire? Be a billionaire that starts an alternative pro football league.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - Frank the Tank - 03-26-2021 08:38 AM

Now, to follow up on my last post, the CFL actually does have brands and traditions in their home markets. I don’t see what they gain out of an XFL merger, though. If the CFL really wanted to get into the US, it could expand itself (which it tried once in the 1990s but didn’t really work). I have a hard time seeing how any type of TV contract that the XFL has would carry over, so those have no value.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - georgia_tech_swagger - 03-26-2021 09:11 AM

(03-26-2021 07:58 AM)ken d Wrote:  If drawing G5 size crowds is a success, the bar isn't set very high. What were their TV ratings? I don't expect I'd watch many games no matter what time of year they are played, for the same reasons I don't watch many cornhole matches.

Nobody in the CFL has a stadium capacity above 35k with the lone exception of Edmonton at 55k.

CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - ODU1986 - 03-26-2021 09:17 AM

I suspect that if American rules are placed on the Canadien side of the border, you will see a collapse of their fan base.

Other than some minor rule changes, the CFL style of football should continue to be played up there, and the American version down here. Interleague games should be played under the rules of the home team (and yes I understand they are vastly two different games).

The real benefits, in my opinion, come with the ability to control and or reduce cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - Frank the Tank - 03-26-2021 09:23 AM

(03-26-2021 09:11 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 07:58 AM)ken d Wrote:  If drawing G5 size crowds is a success, the bar isn't set very high. What were their TV ratings? I don't expect I'd watch many games no matter what time of year they are played, for the same reasons I don't watch many cornhole matches.

Nobody in the CFL has a stadium capacity above 35k with the lone exception of Edmonton at 55k.

I think that illustrates his point. Running a football league has very high fixed costs, yet we have seen every upstart pro football league end up having only minor league attendance levels at best. In the case of minor league baseball and hockey, the ones affiliated with MLB and the NHL even have the player salaries covered, so minor league owners are purely just focusing on ticket and stadium revenue. Unless the NFL steps in and starts paying the salaries of an upstart league’s players, that’s going to be untenable. Plus, why on Earth would the NFL do that they get a lot more out of Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson training new players AND they’re more marketable and famous when they get drafted, to boot? The fact that a league with the history of the CFL is considering merging with a “league” that went bankrupt before it even played a game shows how fragile these leagues are.

I continue to fail to see the *economic* justification for a new football league. Now, the NFL might want some better training for its practice squad-level players, so maybe there’s some type of pure developmental league opportunities on that front (akin to the Arizona Fall League for MLB), but it definitely doesn’t make any sense in terms of taking players right out of high school.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - georgia_tech_swagger - 03-26-2021 09:27 AM

(03-26-2021 09:23 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I think that illustrates his point. Running a football league has very high fixed costs, yet we have seen every upstart pro football league end up having only minor league attendance levels at best. In the case of minor league baseball and hockey, the ones affiliated with MLB and the NHL even have the player salaries covered, so minor league owners are purely just focusing on ticket and stadium revenue. Unless the NFL steps in and starts paying the salaries of an upstart league’s players, that’s going to be untenable. Plus, why on Earth would the NFL do that they get a lot more out of Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson training new players AND they’re more marketable and famous when they get drafted, to boot? The fact that a league with the history of the CFL is considering merging with a “league” that went bankrupt before it even played a game shows how fragile these leagues are.

I continue to fail to see the *economic* justification for a new football league. Now, the NFL might want some better training for its practice squad-level players, so maybe there’s some type of pure developmental league opportunities on that front (akin to the Arizona Fall League for MLB), but it definitely doesn’t make any sense in terms of taking players right out of high school.

Every franchise in the CFL turns a steady profit every year except Toronto and Montreal. Toronto moved from the Rogers Center to BMO Field. Attendance is still dreadful. Montreal's franchise is more or less run by the CFL itself right now as the previous owner bowed out after repeated heavy losses. I did not keep Montreal in my hypothetical above.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - solohawks - 03-26-2021 09:40 AM

If TV wants to pay for it, it will succeed. 2020 proved to us that ticket sales are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - Frank the Tank - 03-26-2021 10:02 AM

(03-26-2021 09:27 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 09:23 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I think that illustrates his point. Running a football league has very high fixed costs, yet we have seen every upstart pro football league end up having only minor league attendance levels at best. In the case of minor league baseball and hockey, the ones affiliated with MLB and the NHL even have the player salaries covered, so minor league owners are purely just focusing on ticket and stadium revenue. Unless the NFL steps in and starts paying the salaries of an upstart league’s players, that’s going to be untenable. Plus, why on Earth would the NFL do that they get a lot more out of Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson training new players AND they’re more marketable and famous when they get drafted, to boot? The fact that a league with the history of the CFL is considering merging with a “league” that went bankrupt before it even played a game shows how fragile these leagues are.

Every franchise in the CFL turns a steady profit every year except Toronto and Montreal. Toronto moved from the Rogers Center to BMO Field. Attendance is still dreadful. Montreal's franchise is more or less run by the CFL itself right now as the previous owner bowed out after repeated heavy losses. I did not keep Montreal in my hypothetical above.

Right - I would hope that CFL franchises would make a profit because that's *not* an upstart league. However, my understanding is that CFL franchises are profitable that's more akin to a profitable minor league baseball team (with a heavy emphasis on stadium revenue) as opposed to a major league team where there's a lot of ancillary media and marketing revenue.

Also, the fact that the two franchises that aren't making money are Toronto and Montreal is something that I didn't know... and actually quite frightening. That would be like saying that a US pro sports league's money-losing franchises are the ones in New York and Los Angeles, which would be a red flag. I know that the Argonauts are owned by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (which owns the Maple Leafs, Raptors and Toronto FC and owns and/or controls their respective stadiums), so I think the Argonauts are more about having a CFL team in their sports portfolio (and at a minimum, having a team to fill dates at BMO Field).

It sounds like the Alouettes' problem is ownership. I'd be very careful about the CFL abandoning the 2nd largest market in its country regardless of current financial problems. Granted, the NFL did it with LA for 20-plus years, but it wasn't for a lack of trying to find someone that could pay for a stadium during that entire time. Once that happened, *two* franchises moved back to LA in short order. Trying to find (if not outright force) new ownership (a la what the NBA did with the Clippers) may be smarter way of doing this for the long-term instead of outright folding the franchise.

Anyway, considering what you just said about Toronto and Montreal (the two largest Canadian media markets), it now makes more sense to me why the CFL is looking (or is desperate) for a merger.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - Frank the Tank - 03-26-2021 10:11 AM

(03-26-2021 09:40 AM)solohawks Wrote:  If TV wants to pay for it, it will succeed. 2020 proved to us that ticket sales are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things

The problem is that TV revenue is *much* harder to achieve than the ticket revenue.

You can get people in the stadium with promotions, deals, etc.

TV revenue means a third party finds your product valuable enough to pay a premium for it.

Look at the wide gulf in college football between the P5 and G5 in terms of TV revenue. They're on entirely different planets.

Now, I'm sure that a streaming service like ESPN+ would gladly take a bunch of minor league football games for a low price, but it's not going to justify all of the costs of starting up a league.

It continues to amaze me that otherwise smart people continue to look for the great white whale of a new pro football league. Psychologically, there's legitimately a certain point where a lot really wealthy people want try to buy the one thing that they don't have: fame. (To the fair, The Rock is the one XFL investor that already has plenty of fame.) They see owning a sports team as one way to achieve it, so they get suckered into investing in these upstart football leagues and other ventures. We see a similar thing in Hollywood where there's always a ton of vanity money from wealthy people financing movies. They all imagine themselves on the red carpet at the Oscars or holding up a championship trophy in front of millions of people. Of course, pretty much all of these people lose every penny that they invest in them.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - georgia_tech_swagger - 03-26-2021 10:16 AM

(03-26-2021 10:02 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Right - I would hope that CFL franchises would make a profit because that's *not* an upstart league. However, my understanding is that CFL franchises are profitable that's more akin to a profitable minor league baseball team (with a heavy emphasis on stadium revenue) as opposed to a major league team where there's a lot of ancillary media and marketing revenue.

Correct, they are heavily gate dependent. I think part of that is a miscalculation in going to ESPN+ in the US market. They need to be on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 when no other football is being played. That's their path to profitability beyond the gate. CFL draws good numbers when it is on TSN and even, given the zero marketing, hype, fanfare or promotion, when it's simulcast on TSN and ESPN. TSN is just ESPN Canada. So the Worldwide Leader knows they do well when on cable. They just need to tell the US side of the company to copy what they're doing when there's no other football being played.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - Frank the Tank - 03-26-2021 10:34 AM

(03-26-2021 10:16 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 10:02 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Right - I would hope that CFL franchises would make a profit because that's *not* an upstart league. However, my understanding is that CFL franchises are profitable that's more akin to a profitable minor league baseball team (with a heavy emphasis on stadium revenue) as opposed to a major league team where there's a lot of ancillary media and marketing revenue.

Correct, they are heavily gate dependent. I think part of that is a miscalculation in going to ESPN+ in the US market. They need to be on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 when no other football is being played. That's their path to profitability beyond the gate. CFL draws good numbers when it is on TSN and even, given the zero marketing, hype, fanfare or promotion, when it's simulcast on TSN and ESPN. TSN is just ESPN Canada. So the Worldwide Leader knows they do well when on cable. They just need to tell the US side of the company to copy what they're doing when there's no other football being played.

I do think that the time period is quite important. In fact, I don't think it about just no other football being played. If I'm starting a new pro sports league in the US (not that I personally think that it would be wise at all), the target time period for a schedule should be from mid-June through Labor Day. That's the period of time between the end of the NBA Finals and the start of college and pro football where the only consistent competition is MLB with some golf sprinkled in. In any other time period on the sports calendar, there's simply way too much other sports competition.

For instance, I think it was a mistake for the AAF to start essentially right after the Super Bowl because (1) there's a ton of other sports competition at that time with the NBA, NHL and college basketball and (2) it inherently is a total letdown for a football fan to watch minor league football right after they watched the NFL playoffs.

In theory, playing games in mid-June/July/August is during a period where there's little other sports competition *and* people are more football-starved. The Arena League seemed to have something closer to that model and they at least survived for a decent amount of time.

Now, of course, I could see the problem for the players in that minor league if they want to make it to the NFL. Playing that type of schedule essentially forces you to forgo any chance of going to an NFL Training Camp and playing in NFL preseason games. So, that's an issue that would need to be addressed.

RE: CFL-XFL Merger .. G-League for the NFL? - solohawks - 03-26-2021 11:01 AM

(03-26-2021 10:11 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 09:40 AM)solohawks Wrote:  If TV wants to pay for it, it will succeed. 2020 proved to us that ticket sales are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things

The problem is that TV revenue is *much* harder to achieve than the ticket revenue.

You can get people in the stadium with promotions, deals, etc.

TV revenue means a third party finds your product valuable enough to pay a premium for it.

Look at the wide gulf in college football between the P5 and G5 in terms of TV revenue. They're on entirely different planets.

Now, I'm sure that a streaming service like ESPN+ would gladly take a bunch of minor league football games for a low price, but it's not going to justify all of the costs of starting up a league.

It continues to amaze me that otherwise smart people continue to look for the great white whale of a new pro football league. Psychologically, there's legitimately a certain point where a lot really wealthy people want try to buy the one thing that they don't have: fame. (To the fair, The Rock is the one XFL investor that already has plenty of fame.) They see owning a sports team as one way to achieve it, so they get suckered into investing in these upstart football leagues and other ventures. We see a similar thing in Hollywood where there's always a ton of vanity money from wealthy people financing movies. They all imagine themselves on the red carpet at the Oscars or holding up a championship trophy in front of millions of people. Of course, pretty much all of these people lose every penny that they invest in them.

Agree about the TV revenue being harder to achieve.

A network would have to decide that funding Spring football via a TV deal would be profitable.

I think Spring football is something that would be a more made for TV product anyways.