CSNbbs
Keith Jenkins' Comments on Mason Madsen - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Keith Jenkins' Comments on Mason Madsen (/thread-919306.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Keith Jenkins' Comments on Mason Madsen - Helicopter - 03-23-2021 03:25 PM

I was listening to Meachs' podcast and Keith Jenkins of the Enquirer seemed to indicate the player that went to the AD and blasted Brannen anonymously in Williams' Athletic article was Mason Madsen.

I was kind of shocked a borderline 2-star recruit, who earned 15 mpg as a freshman on a high D-1 major team, tried to "burn it down" on his way out.

My initial reaction is to side with the players, particularly when they are doing what is in their best interests, but I don't see the sense in slandering the coach on the way out. Comes across as extraordinarily ungrateful.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - OKIcat - 03-23-2021 03:35 PM

(03-23-2021 03:25 PM)Helicopter Wrote:  I was listening to Meachs' podcast and Keith Jenkins of the Enquirer seemed to indicate the player that went to the AD and blasted Brannen anonymously in Williams' Athletic article was Mason Madsen.

I was kind of shocked a borderline 2-star recruit, who earned 15 mpg as a freshman on a high D-1 major team, tried to "burn it down" on his way out.

My initial reaction is to side with the players, particularly when they are doing what is in their best interests, but I don't see the sense in slandering the coach on the way out. Comes across as extraordinarily ungrateful.

Bolded, guess it wasn't done TOO anonymously then? I think it's all plausible because this entire revelation since the AAC Championship Game has been like an episode of The Twilight Zone.

While we as fans want the certainty of closure, I'm not sure we're going to get much of anything from Cunningham or Brannen in that regard, short of the coach's departure. And I'm certainly not advocating for that given the absence of documented facts of any serious malfeasance on Brannen's part at this point.

If new recruits are signed, that bodes well for a rebuild. If not, that will be the new elephant in the room.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - Bearcatbdub - 03-23-2021 03:43 PM

I thought for sure it was gonna be Keith William’s comments when I read the title of the thread...

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - nachoman91 - 03-23-2021 03:44 PM

Even if Brannen considers the players a bunch of pu$$ies who needed to suck it up, he can't coach/mentor like that. He needs to find enough common ground between him and the players to keep them happy yet motivated to listen and play hard. That's why he gets paid seven figures. I'm certainly not on the kids side here but ultimately its Brannen's job to read the room and understand what his players need.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - Bcatbog - 03-23-2021 04:00 PM

When Mick was here I never liked his yelling at our players. I always thought his tactics made kids too fearful of making a mistake. Then there was Huggy Bear. I always thought he wore the team out before the NCAAs.

I wonder how Mason would have reacted to Mick or Huggins.

My bet is Mason winds up in a MAC level school - and is unhappy. IMO this says more about his character than Brannen’s. Color me surprised and disappointing.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - Don't tase me bro - 03-23-2021 04:01 PM

(03-23-2021 03:25 PM)Helicopter Wrote:  I was listening to Meachs' podcast and Keith Jenkins of the Enquirer seemed to indicate the player that went to the AD and blasted Brannen anonymously in Williams' Athletic article was Mason Madsen.

Not too surprising if he thought that his twin brother was treated unfairly.

I don't know why these guys left or what happened, but I will say that I thought Brannen's substitution patterns were sometimes bizarre during the season. These things get amplified when the team is not winning.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - rath v2.0 - 03-23-2021 04:08 PM

Those dang kids...it’s never the adults’ fault.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - uchoops - 03-23-2021 04:23 PM

(03-23-2021 04:08 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Those dang kids...it’s never the adults’ fault.

Don’t think anyone is saying the kid’s are at fault..we don’t know..but probably a combination of both..

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - Billy_Bearcat - 03-23-2021 04:23 PM

(03-23-2021 03:43 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  I thought for sure it was gonna be Keith William’s comments when I read the title of the thread...

Yeah, OP has a future in mainstream media.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - Helicopter - 03-23-2021 04:27 PM

(03-23-2021 03:43 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  I thought for sure it was gonna be Keith William’s comments when I read the title of the thread...

LOL the click bait is real. I didn't even think about it when I blasted out there.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - Helicopter - 03-23-2021 04:34 PM

(03-23-2021 04:23 PM)uchoops Wrote:  
(03-23-2021 04:08 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Those dang kids...it’s never the adults’ fault.

Don’t think anyone is saying the kid’s are at fault..we don’t know..but probably a combination of both..

I don't like calling them kids. I understand 18/19 year olds do dumb stuff but it almost like they have no accountability.

I also definitely hold Brannen accountable. I don't know how much of a pass is warranted for all parties because of COVID. Probably a lot.

I'm probably most disappointed in the AD. He has mismanaged the news cycle badly. He also hamstrung Brannen with the COVID restrictions to interface with his players outside of practice/games. Honestly, it feels the school did nothing for the mental health of the players.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - Cataclysmo - 03-23-2021 04:38 PM

(03-23-2021 04:00 PM)Bcatbog Wrote:  My bet is Mason winds up in a MAC level school - and is unhappy. IMO this says more about his character than Brannen’s. Color me surprised and disappointing.

Mason is well aware of what kind of school he'll end up at and yet he passed up a clear role with a high major program to pursue it anyways. What does that tell you about the head coach.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - dsquare - 03-23-2021 04:38 PM

(03-23-2021 03:44 PM)nachoman91 Wrote:  Even if Brannen considers the players a bunch of pu$$ies who needed to suck it up, he can't coach/mentor like that. He needs to find enough common ground between him and the players to keep them happy yet motivated to listen and play hard. That's why he gets paid seven figures. I'm certainly not on the kids side here but ultimately its Brannen's job to read the room and understand what his players need.

Yes and no. Huggins never did, and still does not. However, he doesn't worry to much about guys leaving, or showing them the door. Lesson is you either live with turnover, or you have to be very careful the type of personalities you recruit. Honestly, I doubt until this year coaches anywhere thought players moving was going to be anywhere near as easy as it is with the Covid deal. Question is if this is going to be the new norm, or a one time thing.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - Bear Catlett - 03-23-2021 05:09 PM

I don't have a side in this because I'm not disappointed about all of them leaving because I wasn't sad when Quadri Moore left either.

That said, it's the coaches job to assemble a team and develop the players and the guy that's getting paid to do that right now aint cutting the mustard.

We need a complete overhaul. Too bad coach has got a get out of jail free card.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - BearcatMan - 03-23-2021 06:31 PM

(03-23-2021 04:38 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(03-23-2021 04:00 PM)Bcatbog Wrote:  My bet is Mason winds up in a MAC level school - and is unhappy. IMO this says more about his character than Brannen’s. Color me surprised and disappointing.

Mason is well aware of what kind of school he'll end up at and yet he passed up a clear role with a high major program to pursue it anyways. What does that tell you about the head coach.

St. Louis, Northern Iowa, New Mexico, and Toledo look to be the most in play...man he was desperate to get out of here.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - Bearhawkeye - 03-23-2021 06:31 PM

"But I didn't get exactly what I wanted. It's not Fair!" said almost every kid everywhere.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - Cataclysmo - 03-23-2021 06:47 PM

(03-23-2021 06:31 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

St. Louis, Northern Iowa, New Mexico, and Toledo look to be the most in play...man he was desperate to get out of here.
Yup. It says alot imo.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - robertfoshizzle - 03-23-2021 07:07 PM

(03-23-2021 06:47 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(03-23-2021 06:31 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Yup. It says alot imo.

He should probably commit to one of those programs soon. As the portal grows and more talent becomes available, he might slide from mid-major to low-major. While I would have preferred Mason to stay, guards in the portal are a dime a dozen -- especially ones who don't have exceptional athleticism or length. I wish him the best, but I question if the grass will actually be greener for him.

Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - Cataclysmo - 03-23-2021 07:18 PM

I question it too. But not because of the quality of the program, but because I'm not sure what exactly it is about Brannen that would make him and Mikey so comfortable moving down a level.

RE: Keith's Comments on Mason Madsen - QSECOFR - 03-23-2021 07:24 PM

Before labeling Saunders and Madsen failures, perhaps it would be a good idea to see where they end up - 20 years from now.

Just sayin’........