CSNbbs
What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: What is the future of the Southland Conference? (/thread-919257.html)

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - SMUstang - 06-12-2022 02:21 PM

(06-12-2022 02:04 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 01:57 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 01:54 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 01:27 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 12:06 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Ahh, I missed that detail that the return was scheduled for July 1 2023.

I too doubt that Lamar will cancel their move. But I'm not the one valiantly holding out hope that Incarnate Word is cancelling their move either.

If Incarnate Word is smart, since they are the ones holding all of the cards, they should negotiate a later date, say 2 years from now, and see what the landscape looks like at that time. (Question marks at this time - UTRGV and Tarleton State, plus could inflation, recession or depression affect enrollment?)

Sigh. They're not holding "all the cards." They're holding A card. The WAC will have problems getting to 6 without them, but they'll probably still get there.

And what exactly is UIW supposed to negotiate for? From what I understand, their facilities are garbage (that's why the Texas 4 wanted to get away from them in the first place), so it's not like they can demand that the WAC host tournaments on Incarnate Word's campus. I doubt that renting out the Alamodome is an option.

I'm not sure how Tarleton State is a "question mark." In 2 years and a couple of weeks, they'll be a full Division I member. I don't know what the question is. "But maybe they won't, in some off the wall scenario." Okay, but you could say the same for anybody.

UTRGV *is* a question mark, because I don't think most people would be surprised if a new, expensive, start-from-scratch football program gets delayed or cancelled. But that still leaves the 2 UTah schools, Abilene Christian, Stephen F Austin, Tarleton State and they'd need to scrape up one more if Incarnate Word takes your advice.

The same Texas 4 that wanted to get away from “them”, still invited them a year later.

Yeah, after the WAC lost Sam Houston State and the original Zany Scheme (Texas 4 plus UTU, SUU, maybe UTRGV) went bust and the WAC was desperate again. SMUstang is arguing that somehow UIW is in a more powerful negotiating position now than they were in November when they jumped in the first place.

Also, 2 of the "Texas Four". Sam Houston went FBS and LAmar's new leadership decided the whole thing was stupid and not worth a few hundred thousand dollars in airfare per year. (Remember, Lamar is in the middle of the Southland footprint, UIW is on the western edge)

EDIT:m To summarize my position, there is very little profit in jumping from one bottom-feeding one-bid FCS conference to another. But there is even less profit in jumping back. You can't unspill the milk.

If UIW is available to the WAC now, they will still be available in 2024, especially if they negotiate a new entry date. In that case, there is no advantage in making the move now. The president can still say he made the right decision, just not the right timing.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - johnbragg - 06-12-2022 02:27 PM

(06-12-2022 02:21 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 01:27 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  If Incarnate Word is smart, since they are the ones holding all of the cards, they should negotiate a later date, say 2 years from now, and see what the landscape looks like at that time. (Question marks at this time - UTRGV and Tarleton State, plus inflation, recession or depression)

Sigh. They're not holding "all the cards." They're holding A card. The WAC will have problems getting to 6 without them, but they'll probably still get there.

And what exactly is UIW supposed to negotiate for? From what I understand, their facilities are garbage (that's why the Texas 4 wanted to get away from them in the first place), so it's not like they can demand that the WAC host tournaments on Incarnate Word's campus. I doubt that renting out the Alamodome is an option.

I'm not sure how Tarleton State is a "question mark." In 2 years and a couple of weeks, they'll be a full Division I member. I don't know what the question is. "But maybe they won't, in some off the wall scenario." Okay, but you could say the same for anybody.

UTRGV *is* a question mark, because I don't think most people would be surprised if a new, expensive, start-from-scratch football program gets delayed or cancelled. But that still leaves the 2 UTah schools, Abilene Christian, Stephen F Austin, Tarleton State and they'd need to scrape up one more if Incarnate Word takes your advice.

The same Texas 4 that wanted to get away from “them”, still invited them a year later.

Yeah, after the WAC lost Sam Houston State and the original Zany Scheme (Texas 4 plus UTU, SUU, maybe UTRGV) went bust and the WAC was desperate again. SMUstang is arguing that somehow UIW is in a more powerful negotiating position now than they were in November when they jumped in the first place.

Also, 2 of the "Texas Four". Sam Houston went FBS and LAmar's new leadership decided the whole thing was stupid and not worth a few hundred thousand dollars in airfare per year. (Remember, Lamar is in the middle of the Southland footprint, UIW is on the western edge)

EDIT:m To summarize my position, there is very little profit in jumping from one bottom-feeding one-bid FCS conference to another. But there is even less profit in jumping back. You can't unspill the milk.

If UIW is available to the WAC now, they will still be available in 2024, especially if they negotiate a new entry date. In that case, there is no advantage in making the move now.

There is also no advantage in cancelling the already-announced, effective-in-less-than-30-days move now.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - johnbragg - 06-12-2022 02:33 PM

(06-11-2022 07:50 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  [quote='OscarWildeCat' pid='18269146' dateline='1654942760']
[quote='SMUstang' pid='18267474' dateline='1654865678']
The future of WAC football hinges on Incarnate Word’s decision.

A couple of posts later:
Quote:Nobody said that the WAC was doomed.

Um, YOU did.

Quote:Being a conservative, for many reasons, I favor close knit conferences. I think they are better both for the players and the fans.

In terms of actual travel time, the Southland isn't THAT much more close-knit than the WAC is if your location is San Antonio.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - SMUstang - 06-12-2022 02:41 PM

(06-12-2022 02:33 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(06-11-2022 07:50 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  [quote='OscarWildeCat' pid='18269146' dateline='1654942760']

A couple of posts later:

Um, YOU did. (I did not, it may take a different form though)

Quote:Being a conservative, for many reasons, I favor close knit conferences. I think they are better both for the players and the fans.

In terms of actual travel time, the Southland isn't THAT much more close-knit than the WAC is if your location is San Antonio.
True, but do the fans at UIW, SFA, ACU, UTRGV or Tarleton really care about CBU, GCU, SU, SUU, Utah Tech or Utah Valley? or visa versa? They certainly won't travel to those locations due to cost and lack of interest.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DoubleRSU - 06-12-2022 02:48 PM

(06-12-2022 01:27 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 12:06 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Ahh, I missed that detail that the return was scheduled for July 1 2023.

I too doubt that Lamar will cancel their move. But I'm not the one valiantly holding out hope that Incarnate Word is cancelling their move either.

If Incarnate Word is smart, since they are the ones holding all of the cards, they should negotiate a later date, say 2 years from now, and see what the landscape looks like at that time. (Question marks at this time - UTRGV and Tarleton State, plus inflation, recession or depression)

The WAC is not a bottom feeder. The Southland is. Just because they’re both 1 bid leagues, doesn’t mean they’re the “same”.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DoubleRSU - 06-12-2022 02:49 PM

(06-12-2022 02:41 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  

A couple of posts later:

True, but do the fans at UIW, SFA, ACU, or Tarleton really care about CBU, GCU, SU, SUU, Utah Tech or Utah Valley? or visa versa?

Do SMU fans care about UAB, FAU, and Charlotte? Or vice versa?

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - jimrtex - 06-12-2022 02:51 PM

(06-12-2022 11:30 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 07:23 AM)jimrtex Wrote:  
(06-11-2022 09:29 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(06-11-2022 09:02 PM)jimrtex Wrote:  
(06-11-2022 06:30 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Who says they are arbitrary and capricious? The MEMBERS of which Bellermine is a member, agreed upon them. This is different than student athletes, who don’t have a vote
The NCAA required the ASUN to enforce the restrictions. It was the welfare of the student athletes who were harmed.

You mean the restrictions that all the members of the ASUN agreed-upon?

People act like the NCAA is some autonomous body other than an association controlled by the presidents of the member schools
The NCAA exercises monopoly power.

The ASUN agreed to treat Bellarmine as a peer in the fellowship of DI Athletics, and were responsible for ensuring that Bellarmine complied with the rules.

The NCAA rule is arbitrary. It is no different than if baskets from beyond the arc were only worth 2.5 points because Bellarmine was not a full DI member yet.
The University presidents had valid reasons for the transition period

As I have stated in other threads if Utah Tech or Tarelton State can verify that all of their student athletes were admitted D1 standards I have no problem
What were the reasons the NCAA had for the length of transition period? Why do you believe that those reasons were valid?

In the first year all except students in their last year of eligibility must meet the academic progress standards. The NCAA is concerned about students who don't graduate, but only attend four years of practice and play. The initial standards are only to demonstrate the possibility of graduating. They are imperfect predictors. The schools are taking more of a risk on those with lower HS GPA or SAT scores.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - johnbragg - 06-12-2022 02:55 PM

A couple of posts later:

True, but do the fans at UIW, SFA, ACU, UTRGV or Tarleton really care about CBU, GCU, SU, SUU, Utah Tech or Utah Valley? or visa versa?

Probably not. But:

1. FCS schools don't have a whole lot of fans anyway.
2. To the extent the schools have fans, the fans of the Texas 4 were apparently pretty excited to leave the Southland, so I conclude they don't really care about Northwestern State or McNeese or A&M-Corpus Christi.

To look at your question a different way: Do the fans at UIW really care about A&M-Commerce or Lamar or Nicholls State, or Abilene Christian or Stephen F Austin? Cal Baptist or Houston Baptist? Not really. They barely care about Incarnate Word.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - SMUstang - 06-12-2022 03:00 PM

(06-12-2022 02:49 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

A couple of posts later:

True, but do the fans at UIW, SFA, ACU, or Tarleton really care about CBU, GCU, SU, SUU, Utah Tech or Utah Valley? or visa versa?

Probably not, and it will be interesting to see if any SMU fans show up at those locations.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - johnbragg - 06-12-2022 03:00 PM

A couple of posts later:

I was going to get snarky and list the driveable SMU games if they jumped to the Sun Belt. But they do have North Texas and UTSA, plus Tulane and Tulsa, and old SWC-mate Rice.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - johnbragg - 06-12-2022 03:03 PM

(06-12-2022 03:00 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  

A couple of posts later:

Probably not, and it will be interesting to see if any SMU fans show up at those locations.

I doubt more than a handful of SMU fans are showing up to any AAC road games, except maybe North Texas. But nearby rivals might boost SMU home attendance. (Or not, it's really about the home team, not the visiting squad.)

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - SMUstang - 06-12-2022 03:07 PM

(06-12-2022 03:00 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

A couple of posts later:

I was going to get snarky and list the driveable SMU games if they jumped to the Sun Belt. But they do have North Texas and UTSA, plus Tulane and Tulsa, and old SWC-mate Rice.

We still play TCU and Houston, but I wish we still had Tech, Baylor, UT, Arkansas, and A&M on our schedule. We didn't set any attendance records, but people truly cared about the SWC. I have a son who went to Tech, and another one who went to Tech and Houston, A brother and sister who went to Houston, a grandson and grandaughter who went to A&M, another grandson who went to Tech and another grandaughter going to Houston right now. But getting back to the future of the Southland Conference, I maintain that delaying the transition 2 years is the right thing to do for UIW.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DoubleRSU - 06-12-2022 03:07 PM

A couple of posts later:

SMU had “17,000” for their final home game vs Tulsa. Who they have been conference mates with since 1996. I’m sure if you look at game photos from that day, probably like 5,000 people.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - johnbragg - 06-12-2022 03:13 PM

(06-12-2022 03:07 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 02:33 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  A couple of posts later:

SMU had “17,000” for their final home game vs Tulsa. Who they have been conference mates with since 1996. I’m sure if you look at game photos from that day, probably like 5,000 people.

So, relatively local opponents don't really make that much difference at the gate, do they?

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DoubleRSU - 06-12-2022 03:23 PM

(06-12-2022 03:13 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 03:07 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 02:41 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  True, but do the fans at UIW, SFA, ACU, or Tarleton really care about CBU, GCU, SU, SUU, Utah Tech or Utah Valley? or visa versa?

So, relatively local opponents don't really make that much difference at the gate, do they?

Not really. All these ex-SLC teams been playing each other for decades and they’re not setting attendance records against each other. Sam Houston State was the national champion and can’t get 10k to their home games. Lamar had barely over 5,000 for their 4th week of the season against ACU. I guess it’s too far for fans to travel to or for Beaumont locals to attend the game. Surely this will be different when they re-join the Southland!

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - MattBrownEP - 06-12-2022 03:56 PM

By and large, I think y'all are overvaluing how important FCS football is to any of these conversations. It's not as big a deal as you think.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - shizzle787 - 06-12-2022 04:34 PM

(06-12-2022 03:56 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  By and large, I think y'all are overvaluing how important FCS football is to any of these conversations. It's not as big a deal as you think.

Speaking of which: do you have any news about Incarnate Word going back to the Southland?

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Utgrizfan - 06-12-2022 07:11 PM

(06-12-2022 04:34 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 03:56 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  By and large, I think y'all are overvaluing how important FCS football is to any of these conversations. It's not as big a deal as you think.

Speaking of which: do you have any news about Incarnate Word going back to the Southland?

I think the deadline was by the 25th of this month so we should be hearing news on it soon. On the WAC board I guess the WAC had officials touring their campus not very long ago.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - MattBrownEP - 06-12-2022 07:52 PM

Might not break the news but hope to have something later this week. I talked to officials at the Southland a few days ago, I'm supposed to talk to the WAC tomorrow afternoon. When I have something, I'll share it on EP, I promise.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DoubleRSU - 06-12-2022 08:48 PM

(06-12-2022 07:52 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  

Might not break the news but hope to have something later this week. I talked to officials at the Southland a few days ago, I'm supposed to talk to the WAC tomorrow afternoon. When I have something, I'll share it on EP, I promise.

In other words, they are going back to the SLC. Since you might not “break it”. If they were remaining, is that “breaking news”?