CSNbbs
What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: What is the future of the Southland Conference? (/thread-919257.html)

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - LUSportsFan - 06-05-2022 04:44 PM

(06-05-2022 02:30 PM)jimrtex Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 02:19 PM)Todor Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 02:08 PM)jimrtex Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 12:24 PM)Todor Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 12:18 PM)jimrtex Wrote:  Could you give some examples?

Additional examples? No.
The Texas schools are playing in football at SMU, NMSU, Louisiana Tech, TCU, A&M, Missouri, and Nevada.

Ok. Why are you telling me this? I get the sense you are trying to argue some point without telling me what it is.
You had typed the bolded part. I simply wanted examples.

I'll bite using Lamar men's basketball games outside of Arkansas, Texas, or Louisiana as an example. The historical out-of-conference travel is one of the reasons I wasn't concerned about travel issues with the move to the WAC; especially after conference scheduling and division competition mitigated travel concerns. It has been a common occurrence to fly teams all over the country. I thought the schedulers could flip the schedule around with more of the non-conference in the ArkLaTex area if there was a need to further mitigate travel.

2011-12 Louisville, KY; Athens, OH; Martin, TN; Cookeville, TN; Columbus, OH; Lexington, KY;
2012-13 Manhattan, KS; Charlotte, NC; Charlottesville, VA; Jonesboro, AR; Tuscaloosa, AL; West Lafayette, IN;
2013-14 Indianapolis, IN; Pullman, WA; Salt Lake City, UT; Brooklyn, NY; Fort Collins, CO;
2014-13 Bloomington, IN; Ames, IA;
2014-15 Fresno, CA; Dover, DE; Lynchburg, VA; Blacksburg, VA;
2016-17 Corvallis, OR; Fresno, CA; Pocatello, ID; San Francisco, CA; Chicago, IL;
2017-18 Tulsa, OK; Conway, SC; Carbondale, IL; Pittsburg, PA; Paradise, NV;
2018-19 Atlanta, GA; Greenville, NC; Bakersfield, CA;
2019-20 McCandless, PA; Orem, UT; Lexington, KY; Birmingham, AL;
2020-21 Colorado Springs, CO
2021-22 Oxford, OH; Atlanta, GA; Hattiesburg, MS; Starkville, MS

The Texas WAC members don't have a lot of out of state travel for football. For 2022, Lamar has 2 games out of state, Utah Tech and New Mexico State. Only Utah Tech is a conference game. The NMSU game is non-conference since the Aggies are FBS.

I don't agree with the move back to the SLC, but the university didn't ask me for my opinion. I still think the move to the WAC was the correct one, but no one asked me. I do see some of the reasons for moving back. The biggest one is that the WAC of the future will not be what Lamar and others signed up for with New Mexico State and Sam Houston moving on.

The university is growing. Over 17,000 have been enrolled each of the last 2 years. Lamar Institute of Technology, separated from Lamar University in 1995, has been growing also. Its head count in 2019 was over 8,000. The reason I include LIT is because LIT students help contribute to Lamar University athletics in return for admission to athletic events.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DavidSt - 06-05-2022 04:47 PM

(06-05-2022 11:50 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 11:07 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 10:50 AM)Todor Wrote:  The Texas schools that joined the WAC don’t seem very willing to play the western schools because of the distance. But when you look at their many of their non conference schedules in many sports, they clearly have no problem flying all over the country to play anyone, anytime, anywhere.

So I suspect what they are doing is trying to boost home attendance and revenue, get the locals who are mostly not interested, to connect and identify with their school by being in a league with other local schools. That’s fine, and it’s not a bad strategy, but it inherently comes with being tied to those schools, like they were in the Southland.

When you branch out and join a conference with schools that you don’t really want to play or travel to in the hopes you can carve out a division where you never have to play them, it creates an inherent tension and conflict as we have seen with the rapid departure of 2 of the Texas 4 after just 1 year.

You are pushing your own agenda and rhetoric by lumping Sam Houston State and Lamar together. One went to FBS and a “better” conference. The other “downgraded” and returned to their original conference. Those are two very different things.

You’re right, and I was to an extent. But plenty of SHSU fans didn’t like the WAC travel, wanted to play their local teams and DIDN’T want to travel to Seattle, Riverside, or Orem, at least when they were FCS and we’re comparing the travel to their time in an FCS Southland.

A lot don’t like their move to CUSA either for similar reasons. Lamar and SHS may be headed in opposite directions, but the stupidity of joining the WAC, then complaining about where it’s members are located was just the same. Lamar addressed that issue directly, SHS addressed it by changing the topic, so to speak. FBS required a sidestep of the issue of travel, location, rivalries etc. It’s still there, mind you, but it’s secondary for now since there is another expansive and shiny new topic to dangle in front of their few fans

I’m no more convinced either school has a clue what it’s doing than I was when they joined the WAC.

Lamar wanted to move to FBS as well. But, going back to Southland Conference is a downgrade.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DoubleRSU - 06-05-2022 04:58 PM

Yes David, please show us the 10 year old article about them wanting FBS! Still waiting on those dates for all the teams moving from FCS to FBS!

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - LUSportsFan - 06-05-2022 05:01 PM

(06-05-2022 04:47 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 11:50 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 11:07 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 10:50 AM)Todor Wrote:  The Texas schools that joined the WAC don’t seem very willing to play the western schools because of the distance. But when you look at their many of their non conference schedules in many sports, they clearly have no problem flying all over the country to play anyone, anytime, anywhere.

So I suspect what they are doing is trying to boost home attendance and revenue, get the locals who are mostly not interested, to connect and identify with their school by being in a league with other local schools. That’s fine, and it’s not a bad strategy, but it inherently comes with being tied to those schools, like they were in the Southland.

When you branch out and join a conference with schools that you don’t really want to play or travel to in the hopes you can carve out a division where you never have to play them, it creates an inherent tension and conflict as we have seen with the rapid departure of 2 of the Texas 4 after just 1 year.

You are pushing your own agenda and rhetoric by lumping Sam Houston State and Lamar together. One went to FBS and a “better” conference. The other “downgraded” and returned to their original conference. Those are two very different things.

You’re right, and I was to an extent. But plenty of SHSU fans didn’t like the WAC travel, wanted to play their local teams and DIDN’T want to travel to Seattle, Riverside, or Orem, at least when they were FCS and we’re comparing the travel to their time in an FCS Southland.

A lot don’t like their move to CUSA either for similar reasons. Lamar and SHS may be headed in opposite directions, but the stupidity of joining the WAC, then complaining about where it’s members are located was just the same. Lamar addressed that issue directly, SHS addressed it by changing the topic, so to speak. FBS required a sidestep of the issue of travel, location, rivalries etc. It’s still there, mind you, but it’s secondary for now since there is another expansive and shiny new topic to dangle in front of their few fans

I’m no more convinced either school has a clue what it’s doing than I was when they joined the WAC.

Lamar wanted to move to FBS as well. But, going back to Southland Conference is a downgrade.

I agree its a downgrade as things are currently. All I can hope for is the SLC commissioner's statement concerning building and opportunities.

“In college athletics, the only constant is change, so our Board of Directors remain committed to each other, and building upon our strong foundation that enables our universities to capitalize on the best opportunities together,” concluded Grant. “There are big things happening in the Southland Conference, so all I can say is ‘stay tuned.”

I'll be a happy camper if positive changes are actualized.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - AZcats - 06-05-2022 09:48 PM

(06-05-2022 04:58 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Yes David, please show us the 10 year old article about them wanting FBS! Still waiting on those dates for all the teams moving from FCS to FBS!

You know it's going to be a long wait. I'm still waiting on his evidence of the Arkansas Tech / Southland talks that have been ongoing since 2005.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - MattBrownEP - 06-05-2022 09:50 PM

I believe fans err when they assume that all of the Texas schools in this league think and act the same way. They have different political constituencies, different athletic department goals, and different financial considerations.

I can tell you that the idea of playing athletic events in Utah is seen explicitly as a benefit for SFA and ACU. That clearly wasn't the case for Lamar.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Todor - 06-06-2022 12:27 AM

(06-05-2022 09:50 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  I believe fans err when they assume that all of the Texas schools in this league think and act the same way. They have different political constituencies, different athletic department goals, and different financial considerations.

I can tell you that the idea of playing athletic events in Utah is seen explicitly as a benefit for SFA and ACU. That clearly wasn't the case for Lamar.

So much so they worked to have divisions that ensured they would almost never go there in any sport. One road trip in basketball is the only time I see ACU playing any WAC games in Utah in any sport last year.

If, for some bizarre reason, either of those Texas schools want to travel to Utah, they failed miserably.

If any of the 4 Texas schools “think or act differently” they do are dumb for going along with schools who don’t share their vision, and voluntarily joining a new conference with them and helping create a situation that runs counter to their institutional interests.

They appear to have wanted to stick it to the Southland so bad, they shot themselves in the foot in order to do so. And it’s no wonder they ended up getting kicked out in the process.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - jimrtex - 06-06-2022 07:34 AM

(06-06-2022 12:27 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 09:50 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  I believe fans err when they assume that all of the Texas schools in this league think and act the same way. They have different political constituencies, different athletic department goals, and different financial considerations.

So much so they worked to have divisions that ensured they would almost never go there in any sport. One road trip in basketball is the only time I see ACU playing any WAC games in Utah in any sport last year.

If, for some bizarre reason, either of those Texas schools want to travel to Utah, they failed miserably.

If any of the 4 Texas schools “think or act differently” they do are dumb for going along with schools who don’t share their vision, and voluntarily joining a new conference with them and helping create a situation that runs counter to their institutional interests.

They appear to have wanted to stick it to the Southland so bad, they shot themselves in the foot in order to do so. And it’s no wonder they ended up getting kicked out in the process.
The WAC now has 8 Texas schools and will have 6 after SFA and Lamar leave. They should be working on getting TAMU-CC and any of the Lone Star schools that decide to move up.

NMSU has fond memories of a league with UMKC and Chicago State and any other school that wanted to move to DI. The good old days are over. Move on.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - SMUstang - 06-06-2022 09:20 AM

(06-06-2022 07:34 AM)jimrtex Wrote:  

The WAC now has 8 Texas schools and will have 6 after SFA and Lamar leave. They should be working on getting TAMU-CC and any of the Lone Star schools that decide to move up.

NMSU has fond memories of a league with UMKC and Chicago State and any other school that wanted to move to DI. The good old days are over. Move on.

I disagree, the WAC currently has ACU, SFA, Tarleton State, UTA, and UTRGV. That’s 5. Lamar is already gone. And SHSU is essentially gone. SFA is going nowhere. UIW may or may not join the WAC, but is currently in the Southland. NMSU likes to play more prestigious schools. They have good basketball and always have had.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - johnbragg - 06-06-2022 09:35 AM

(06-06-2022 09:20 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  

I disagree, the WAC currently has ACU, SFA, Tarleton State, UTA, and UTRGV. That’s 5. Lamar is already gone. And SHSU is essentially gone. SFA is going nowhere. UIW may or may not join the WAC, but is currently in the Southland. NMSU likes to play more prestigious schools. They have good basketball and always have had.

It's June 6. Incarnate Word is scheduled to join the WAC on July 1. So that's only 24 days to break the entry agreement with the WAC.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DoubleRSU - 06-06-2022 09:58 AM

NMSU likes to play prestigious schools? Which school doesn’t?

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DoubleRSU - 06-06-2022 09:59 AM

(06-06-2022 09:35 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  

It's June 6. Incarnate Word is scheduled to join the WAC on July 1. So that's only 24 days to break the entry agreement with the WAC.

Seems a little late in the game to do so now.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - LUSportsFan - 06-06-2022 10:42 AM

Just wondering what is the situational difference for Lamar and Sam Houston except for their respective conference destinations in 2023. Currently, both still have one more season remaining as WAC members.

If the implied difference is athletic success, athletic success is often cyclical. As little as 3 years ago (2018-19 season) Lamar was an FCS Championship playoff team, a 20 win team in men's basketball, a regular season conference champion in women's basketball, conference regular season and conference tournament champion in women's soccer, tournament champion in men's tennis for the 3rd consecutive season.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DoubleRSU - 06-06-2022 10:48 AM

LU Sports Fan, the Mustang guy knows very little about the WAC. He probably got confused. Which is easy to do when you’re not a fan of something.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - jimrtex - 06-06-2022 10:49 AM

UT-Arlington.

Lamar and Sam Houston are still in the league for this year. Incarnate Word is scheduled for football. If they do back out, it will be like Lamar in 2023.

In 2013 the WAC still had leftovers after the formation of the Mountain West. In 2014, Utah State, San Jose State, Texas State, UTSA, Louisiana Tech, Texas-Arlington, and Devenr left, and Chicago State, UMKC, UVU, Grand Canyon, CSU-Bakersfield, and UTRGV joined. NMSU, Seattle, and Idaho were the only holdovers.

In 2016 it was NMSU, Grand Canyon, CSU-Bakersfield, Seattle, UVU, UMKC, UTRGV, and Chicago State.

CSU-Bakersfield, UMKC, and Chicago State have left, Cal Baptist, Dixie State/Utah Tech, and Tarleton State have joined. That is a league for which the only question is NMSU 13-1 or 14-0, and unless there was an upset in the conference tournament they would be going to the NCAAT.

NMSU thoroughly dominated in basketball until the Texas teams joined. Abilene Christian, Sam Houston, and SFA were credible threats in basketball.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - inutech - 06-06-2022 11:05 AM

(06-06-2022 10:49 AM)jimrtex Wrote:  In 2013 the WAC still had leftovers after the formation of the Mountain West. In 2014, Utah State, San Jose State, Texas State, UTSA, Louisiana Tech, Texas-Arlington, and Devenr left, and Chicago State, UMKC, UVU, Grand Canyon, CSU-Bakersfield, and UTRGV joined. NMSU, Seattle, and Idaho were the only holdovers.

I think you're a year off. 2012 would have been the last year of WAC FBS football. I know Louisiana Tech and UTSA played in CUSA for the 2013 football season.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - jimrtex - 06-06-2022 11:23 AM

(06-06-2022 11:05 AM)inutech Wrote:  
(06-06-2022 10:49 AM)jimrtex Wrote:  In 2013 the WAC still had leftovers after the formation of the Mountain West. In 2014, Utah State, San Jose State, Texas State, UTSA, Louisiana Tech, Texas-Arlington, and Denver left, and Chicago State, UMKC, UVU, Grand Canyon, CSU-Bakersfield, and UTRGV joined. NMSU, Seattle, and Idaho were the only holdovers.

I think you're a year off. 2012 would have been the last year of WAC FBS football. I know Louisiana Tech and UTSA played in CUSA for the 2013 football season.
I was thinking more in terms of basketball (since this was in reference to NMSU) so 2012-13. None of the adds for 2013-14 sponsored football.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Stugray2 - 06-06-2022 12:45 PM

Matt, when will we know what UIW is doing? Also Howard. We are in June now, and the NCAA season flip on July 1st.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - SMUstang - 06-06-2022 01:00 PM

(06-06-2022 10:48 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  LU Sports Fan, the Mustang guy knows very little about the WAC. He probably got confused. Which is easy to do when you’re not a fan of something.

SMU and Rice stuck it out until 2005, long after the Airport 5 cratered the WAC. I'm not as confused as you are buddy.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - MattBrownEP - 06-06-2022 02:03 PM

(06-06-2022 12:45 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Matt, when will we know what UIW is doing? Also Howard. We are in June now, and the NCAA season flip on July 1st.

This is the best and most current intel I have:

* CAA staffers and sources have told me that nothing was going to happen on the expansion front until every single CAA athlete had concluded their current seasons. I believe the last CAA baseball team's season ended Saturday night, so that obstacle should be removed now.

* The deadline for the UIW/WAC situation is July 1. I have not gotten great, verifiable information about how the WAC site visits went for either side, and after talking to officials in both leagues, I think this is essentially a coin flip. We'll obviously hear before the first. Not sure if I'll be able to break it or not, but I hope to have context once the decision is cleared up.

Outside of those two, the next two weeks are going to be pretty slow on the realignment front. Mid-Major leagues don't have their next meetings until later in June, and a lot of folks are on vacation right now. No huge push to get things down this quickly in June.

And FWIW, if I *do* get anything actionable, I'm gonna write it on the newsletter or Tweet it before here.