CSNbbs
What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: What is the future of the Southland Conference? (/thread-919257.html)

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - TallTexan - 12-01-2021 10:36 PM

(12-01-2021 10:09 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  I'd be very surprised if the Southland does an open search for a replacement. They've got their guy already.

Chris Grant?

I was gonna say SLC needs to go completely out of the org to find somebody, but appears they already did this summer.

He seems to have a good background.

If they'd made this mov years ago like they should have, Southland likely would be stronger today. Burnett has been horrible for years.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - TexasTerror - 12-02-2021 10:26 AM

Here's the official announcement; confirms Matt Brown's post above that it was Chris Grant

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DavidSt - 12-02-2021 04:25 PM

I think Central Oklahoma announced the upgrading of their football stadium might be a hint that they could accept an invite to the Southland Conference soon. I do think they are the better off Oklahoma school to move up.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - TexasTerror - 12-02-2021 05:39 PM

Thread featuring highlights from the announcement of the Commissioner today. On multiple occasions, mentions looking for unique opportunities and being a 'trailblazer'. Mentioned creative partnerships to drive revenue generation from membership schools and aiding student athlete experience.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - TexasTerror - 12-07-2021 07:44 AM

Which schools do you believe would be listening or at least up to listening to the SLC?

~~~~

“We’re not the same Southland Conference you once saw.”

Now the hope is that with new leadership and a new direction, an improved Southland brand will not only bring new schools into the league but also lure back a few members who recently left.

Several sources have told the American Press that two or more schools that recently left the Southland would be willing to listen about returning. Five schools left in June and Incarnate Word will leave for the WAC at the end of this competition year.

Grant did comment on that, but did say the league was looking to expand with teams that fit the SLC profile.

https://www.americanpress.com/2021/12/03/grant-replaces-burnett-southland-introduces-new-commissioner/

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DavidSt - 12-07-2021 08:59 AM

(12-07-2021 07:44 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Which schools do you believe would be listening or at least up to listening to the SLC?

~~~~

“We’re not the same Southland Conference you once saw.”

Now the hope is that with new leadership and a new direction, an improved Southland brand will not only bring new schools into the league but also lure back a few members who recently left.

Several sources have told the American Press that two or more schools that recently left the Southland would be willing to listen about returning. Five schools left in June and Incarnate Word will leave for the WAC at the end of this competition year.

Grant did comment on that, but did say the league was looking to expand with teams that fit the SLC profile.

https://www.americanpress.com/2021/12/03/grant-replaces-burnett-southland-introduces-new-commissioner/

The schools left for a reason. They want to join FBS. They have to go to D2 call ups.

Central Oklahoma gets them into Oklahoma.
Arkansas Tech and Harding both gets them into Arkansas again.
Delta State and Mississippi College gets them into Mississippi.
Central Missouri might be interested.
I might see Fort Hays State moved up since they are the largest Kansas school in enrollment at D2.
Are they look at D2 New Mexico schools and Colorado schools?

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - MattBrownEP - 12-07-2021 08:41 PM

Think more north.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Stugray2 - 12-07-2021 08:42 PM

Chicago State?

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Fighting Muskie - 12-07-2021 09:25 PM

(12-07-2021 08:42 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Chicago State?

Please no. No D1 conference should have to bear that burden.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - TOPSTRAIGHT - 12-07-2021 11:39 PM

If they will take FB onlys--- the OVC may have some volunteers.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Todor - 12-07-2021 11:43 PM

(12-07-2021 09:25 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

They've beaten Big 10 schools in 3 different sports so far this year03-lmfao

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Nerdlinger - 12-07-2021 11:55 PM

(12-07-2021 11:43 PM)Todor Wrote:  
(12-07-2021 09:25 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

They've beaten Big 10 schools in 3 different sports so far this year03-lmfao

That's a good DavidSt argument.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - TexasTerror - 12-08-2021 03:52 PM

Little Rock confirms that they have talked to the Southland ahead of their announcement today that they are going to the Ohio Valley Conference.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - EKUSteve - 12-08-2021 04:01 PM

(12-08-2021 03:52 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Little Rock confirms that they have talked to the Southland ahead of their announcement today that they are going to the Ohio Valley Conference.

This also infers that the OVC is going to be a basketball first conference.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - solohawks - 12-08-2021 04:03 PM

(12-08-2021 04:01 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  
(12-08-2021 03:52 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Little Rock confirms that they have talked to the Southland ahead of their announcement today that they are going to the Ohio Valley Conference.

Which leads me to believe the OVC is prepared for the ASun to take more of its football schools

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - TOPSTRAIGHT - 12-08-2021 06:26 PM

Which means the ASUN is THE MAN!! (jk)

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Fresno St. Alum - 12-09-2021 12:49 AM

They've always been bball 1st. Ever since I was a kid, Austin Peay, Murray St. bball, then when Belmont joined them too. I think the 1st or one of the 1st tournament gms I watched was 1987 Austin Peay winning vs Illinois, then losing to Providence on their way to the Final 4.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - EKUSteve - 12-09-2021 07:43 AM

(12-09-2021 12:49 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  

They've always been bball 1st. Ever since I was a kid, Austin Peay, Murray St. bball, then when Belmont joined them too. I think the 1st or one of the 1st tournament gms I watched was 1987 Austin Peay winning vs Illinois, then losing to Providence on their way to the Final 4.

Football was big it moved to D1 in 78. Both were really big as the footprint was tight with the KY and TN schools.

87 is when Peay beat EKU in the final with a 2/3ds length of the court shot. Dickie V had to stand on his head after Peay beat Illinois.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DavidSt - 12-09-2021 01:19 PM

I am not sure that they will be a basketball only conference. Leaders are still talking adding football schools to the conference. Adding Little Rock was just to make sure that they don't lose and sports to be qualified. Grand Valley State, Western Illinois, Chattanooga, East Tennessee State, Alabama A&M, West Georgia and West Florida all have been still being mentioned as football add schools. UAPB was added to the list as well. That would give OVC 3 HBCU if they could pull that off.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Lionfan - 12-09-2021 02:47 PM

https://twitter.com/OVCSports/status/1468973721234788355?s=20

Southland and OVC scheduling agreement