CSNbbs
What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: What is the future of the Southland Conference? (/thread-919257.html)

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Fighting Muskie - 11-21-2021 07:21 PM

Anyone know if there is any talk of A&M Kingsville coming up to join the Southland?

They’d make a nice travel partner for A&M Corpus Christi, plus all of the remaining Lone Star Conference football schools are considerably further West.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - rtist - 11-21-2021 08:07 PM

(11-21-2021 07:21 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Anyone know if there is any talk of A&M Kingsville coming up to join the Southland?

They’d make a nice travel partner for A&M Corpus Christi, plus all of the remaining Lone Star Conference football schools are considerably further West.

I'm struggling to find articles regarding TAMU-Kingsville, but I remember reading that they (as well as several other TAMU schools) may be considering an upgrade to FCS. If I find the article in question, I'll update this post with a link.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - TexasTerror - 11-21-2021 09:56 PM

(11-21-2021 07:21 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Anyone know if there is any talk of A&M Kingsville coming up to join the Southland?

There is talk of a TAMUK/TAMUCC merger. The head of TAMU System has tried twice to pull it off and may try again.

Only Angelo State and Central Oklahoma come up frequently amongst D2 schools otherwise. Neither is quite accessible for a league that traditionally has been a tight bus league

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Inkblot - 11-22-2021 12:59 AM

I heard a week or two ago on the D2 boards that TAMUK is not moving up.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - TallTexan - 11-22-2021 02:10 PM

(11-21-2021 08:07 PM)rtist Wrote:  

I'm struggling to find articles regarding TAMU-Kingsville, but I remember reading that they (as well as several other TAMU schools) may be considering an upgrade to FCS. If I find the article in question, I'll update this post with a link.

Feel like this would be huge for the Texas Gulf region if it ever happens.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Lionfan - 11-22-2021 02:47 PM

Kingsville is barely able to stay in D2 financially. I dont see any way they move up.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Cruhawk - 11-22-2021 02:52 PM

(11-21-2021 09:56 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  

There is talk of a TAMUK/TAMUCC merger. The head of TAMU System has tried twice to pull it off and may try again.

Only Angelo State and Central Oklahoma come up frequently amongst D2 schools otherwise. Neither is quite accessible for a league that traditionally has been a tight bus league

What about West Texas A&M? they were rumored to the WAC earlier this year.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - TexasTerror - 11-22-2021 03:02 PM

(11-22-2021 02:52 PM)Cruhawk Wrote:  What about West Texas A&M? they were rumored to the WAC earlier this year.

There was no mention in Matt Brown's latest about WTAMU unless I missed it.

In general, I have got to think that there would have to be some sort of partnership between multiple LSC teams to make the move to Division I (much in a similar vain to what we saw with the Texas institutions working in partnership to go WAC). As you may have seen, the LSC has already created an interesting football alliance with some GNAC squads.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DoubleRSU - 11-22-2021 03:09 PM

(11-22-2021 02:52 PM)Cruhawk Wrote:  
(11-21-2021 09:56 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  

What about West Texas A&M? they were rumored to the WAC earlier this year.

DavidSt has been pushing that rumor for years, not anyone with credibility

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - MattBrownEP - 11-22-2021 04:55 PM

I have it on very good authority that West Texas is not moving up to D-I in the near future.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - TallTexan - 11-22-2021 05:15 PM

(11-22-2021 04:55 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  I have it on very good authority that West Texas is not moving up to D-I in the near future.

Good to know.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DavidSt - 11-22-2021 10:27 PM

(11-22-2021 04:55 PM)MattBrownEP Wrote:  I have it on very good authority that West Texas is not moving up to D-I in the near future.

I guess the AD's word from West Texas A&M is not credible on that podcast since he hinted the WAC in a few years that they would be targeting. They are more in shape going to D1 than the other Lone Star schools. Their target is the WAC, and the WAC should have invited them last year.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DoubleRSU - 11-22-2021 11:44 PM

(11-22-2021 10:27 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

I guess the AD's word from West Texas A&M is not credible on that podcast since he hinted the WAC in a few years that they would be targeting. They are more in shape going to D1 than the other Lone Star schools. Their target is the WAC, and the WAC should have invited them last year.

But the WAC didn’t invite them. They already have 3 D1 transitioning teams at the moment. They don’t need anymore. You’re not credible. Matt Brown is.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Todor - 11-23-2021 12:11 AM

(11-22-2021 11:44 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

But the WAC didn’t invite them. They already have 3 D1 transitioning teams at the moment. They don’t need anymore. You’re not credible. Matt Brown is.

Well, Matt Brown doesn't actually predict much of anything. He passes on inside information he hears just before its released to the public, but nothing more. He may have contacts, but no actual foresight.

Matt Brown is trying to hustle a buck from his contacts' information and isn't here for fun like most of us. He's here for commercial purposes and free advertising, not to discuss things with the rest of us.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DavidSt - 11-23-2021 12:15 AM

(11-23-2021 12:11 AM)Todor Wrote:  

Well, Matt Brown has never actually predicted anything correctly. He passes on inside information he hears just before its released to the public, but nothing more. He may have contacts, but certainly no actual insight. And Matt Brown is trying to hustle a buck from his contacts' information and isn't here for fun like most of us.

I rather take the words from the AD of West Texas A&M who said their goal would be the WAC. It is public record that he said that.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - AZcats - 11-23-2021 01:29 AM

(11-23-2021 12:15 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Well, Matt Brown has never actually predicted anything correctly. He passes on inside information he hears just before its released to the public, but nothing more. He may have contacts, but certainly no actual insight. And Matt Brown is trying to hustle a buck from his contacts' information and isn't here for fun like most of us.

I rather take the words from the AD of West Texas A&M who said their goal would be the WAC. It is public record that he said that.

You're still mad that Matt Brown does research and knows more than you. And no form of the word "WAC" was ever mentioned on that podcast.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - HawaiiMongoose - 11-23-2021 02:22 AM

Well, Matt Brown doesn't actually predict much of anything. He passes on inside information he hears just before its released to the public, but nothing more. He may have contacts, but no actual foresight.

Matt Brown is trying to hustle a buck from his contacts' information and isn't here for fun like most of us. He's here for commercial purposes and free advertising, not to discuss things with the rest of us.

That puts Matt a step above pretty much all of the rest of us, who have neither actual contacts nor actual foresight. All we do is trade speculation and opinion.

And yes, most of us are here for fun but a few appear to be here because they have a compulsion to be argumentative or disagreeable. I for one am glad that despite the latter, Matt remains willing to share inside information freely, which is consistently relevant to our conversations and has usually proven to be accurate and always makes the board a more fun place to be. He rarely brings up his newsletter and when he does so is never pushy about it. To brand him a hustler (in the negative sense of the word) is ridiculous IMHO.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Todor - 11-23-2021 03:16 AM

(11-23-2021 02:22 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

That puts Matt a step above pretty much all of the rest of us, who have neither actual contacts nor actual foresight. All we do is trade speculation and opinion.

And yes, most of us are here for fun but a few appear to be here because they have a compulsion to be argumentative or disagreeable. I for one am glad that despite the latter, Matt remains willing to share inside information freely, which is consistently relevant to our conversations and has usually proven to be accurate and always makes the board a more fun place to be. He rarely brings up his newsletter and when he does so is never pushy about it. To brand him a hustler (in the negative sense of the word) is ridiculous IMHO.

Fair enough. Nonetheless, we're here as fans to have fun, and he's here for business purposes, to make money. I am a huge WAC fan, and I post as a fan, with no ulterior motives or to promote any product.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Cruhawk - 11-23-2021 11:45 PM

Thanks for the update! Interesting to hear since they seem primed for it at one point.

RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - DavidSt - 11-24-2021 02:39 AM

(11-23-2021 11:45 PM)Cruhawk Wrote:  

Thanks for the update! Interesting to hear since they seem primed for it at one point.

West Texas A&M is smack dab in the middle of the WAC. I don't think any Big Sky schools will join the WAC, and the Southland schools left are bleh. Lets say Tarleton State gets an FBS invite to C-USA?

Idiots running the WAC went after Incarnate Word who have facilities just like Chicago State instead of a D2 school who are investing in their athletics facilities.