CSNbbs
Expansion question - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Expansion question (/thread-919232.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Expansion question - stAteNation - 03-22-2021 12:47 PM

Hello AAC peeps, expansion question for you guys. I’m an Arkansas State fan and don’t think we are in a position to move anytime soon, but I want to see if another school is mentioned by you guys. Kind of a debate going on.

If your league were to expand by 2 or lost 2 members and had to replace them, who would be your top 3 schools to add to your league?

Expansion question - mlb - 03-22-2021 12:55 PM

Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

RE: Expansion question - stAteNation - 03-22-2021 12:56 PM

Lol. I’m actually trying to see who your genuine responses are.

RE: Expansion question - bearcat29 - 03-22-2021 12:58 PM

(03-22-2021 12:55 PM)mlb Wrote:  Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
UofL, WVA, Pitt I like the drive able games. I could be talked into Michigan or Notre Dame.

RE: Expansion question - stAteNation - 03-22-2021 01:04 PM

Ok, thanks for playing. I’ll see myself out now.

RE: Expansion question - Fighting Muskie - 03-22-2021 01:15 PM

Come on folks, the Ark St fan was asking a legitimate question.

I’ll bite. Boise, BYU, and AFA. that move pretty much secures the G5 NY6 slot.

I don’t see anyone East of the Rockies making a substantial contribution except maybe Army as a fb only.

RE: Expansion question - Atlanta - 03-22-2021 01:27 PM

Boise, BYU & SDSU.

RE: Expansion question - vcoog - 03-22-2021 01:39 PM

(03-22-2021 12:47 PM)stAteNation Wrote:  Hello AAC peeps, expansion question for you guys. I’m an Arkansas State fan and don’t think we are in a position to move anytime soon, but I want to see if another school is mentioned by you guys. Kind of a debate going on.

If your league were to expand by 2 or lost 2 members and had to replace them, who would be your top 3 schools to add to your league?

You’d be surprised how few games you actually need to win to get in this conference

RE: Expansion question - stAteNation - 03-22-2021 01:42 PM

Not seeing anyone mention Georgia State who their 24/7 writer thinks is a shoe in. That’s what I was angling at. He thinks due to them being in Atlanta and ease of travel. He doesn’t seem to think having any schools out west would make sense.

RE: Expansion question - OKIcat - 03-22-2021 01:50 PM

BYU and Boise State, absolutely. There are plenty of other really good programs out there such as Arkansas State that would be competitive in conference. But at this point, selfishly for the exiting American programs, it's all about legitimizing the P6 moniker and securing a spot in an expanded playoff and in the NY6 bowl. Geographic challenges aside, only those two schools advance the cause.

RE: Expansion question - Fishpro10987 - 03-22-2021 01:57 PM

(03-22-2021 12:47 PM)stAteNation Wrote:  Hello AAC peeps, expansion question for you guys. I’m an Arkansas State fan and don’t think we are in a position to move anytime soon, but I want to see if another school is mentioned by you guys. Kind of a debate going on.

Read through this and then ask a question not covered by any supposition that is missing from the discussion. https://csnbbs.com/thread-913438.html

Homework is required here.

RE: Expansion question - Casanova - 03-22-2021 02:00 PM

If we’re talking right now than BYU and Boise since they have some semblance of a national brand, and that basically secures the NY6 spot. If not those two, then you get into the AF and SDSU type schools. The AAC will likely stay put till conference expansion however, and see what happens and if anyone leaves

RE: Expansion question - jaredf29 - 03-22-2021 02:01 PM

Problem is there aren’t a whole lot of good candidates on the east coast. My guess is boise state, sd state, and someone else out west or App state.

RE: Expansion question - BraveKnight - 03-22-2021 02:04 PM

(03-22-2021 01:42 PM)stAteNation Wrote:  Not seeing anyone mention Georgia State who their 24/7 writer thinks is a shoe in. That’s what I was angling at. He thinks due to them being in Atlanta and ease of travel. He doesn’t seem to think having any schools out west would make sense.
Here are the schools we would likely consider:
Boise State
BYU
SDSU
Army
Air Force
Colorado State

No one else is going to get a serious look unless some drastic changes happen.

RE: Expansion question - Once a Knight... - 03-22-2021 02:06 PM

(03-22-2021 01:42 PM)stAteNation Wrote:  Not seeing anyone mention Georgia State who their 24/7 writer thinks is a shoe in. That’s what I was angling at. He thinks due to them being in Atlanta and ease of travel. He doesn’t seem to think having any schools out west would make sense.

Long term and from geographic/institutional fit, I feel Georgia St SHOULD be a no-brainer and has been my #1 pick for awhile. However as C-USA has learned, geographic fit, big market, etc. should not be second to BRAND image. Georgia St simply doesn't have the brand image it needs yet for consideration. Could it in 3-5 yrs? Possibly. Their win of Tennessee doesn't hurt, but have they even won their conference yet, let alone sniff the Top 25? Until that happens I'm afraid the powers that be won't consider Georgia St though I feel they would be a PERFECT all-sports fit at #12 for the conference.

I feel at present Georgia St is UAB but with MUCH HIGHER upside. UAB actually has won their conference a couple of times recently however. Because of previous history with current AAC members I could see UAB also getting the nod ahead of GSU, but it really seems we are still flirting with that western wing expansion again (Boise, SDSU, BYU, etc.). Honestly I think without BYU the western expansion thing is a mistake and doesn't move the needle all that much. UCF plays Boise St first game this season and it will be interesting to see what TV ratings look like for that game and the competitiveness of it as well.

RE: Expansion question - CitrusUCF - 03-22-2021 02:08 PM

Georgia State is not a shoo-in by any means. They are a good geographical and institutional fit as a public, urban Carnegie R1. But their overall athletic support is not great. The remodel of Turner Field and the new baseball complex they are building certainly helps their profile.

But, the key for the AAC is increasing TV revenue and increasing the conference's prestige. That is accomplished by bringing in a team or teams that draw eyeballs on TV, have fanbases that will buy ESPN+ and other future subscription offerings, and that improve the league's competitive perception. Georgia State presently doesn't do that particularly well.

As to the Western team, the preference seems to be for them to be FB-only. But if we can add 2-3 such teams, then divisional play in most sports can be accomplished limiting travel from the extreme reaches of the conference. And that only matters in the Olympic sports - FB travel doesn't matter a hill of beans since everyone charters for FB.

RE: Expansion question - CliftonAve - 03-22-2021 02:10 PM

Sounds like Georgia State needs a new “insider” on their 247 site.

RE: Expansion question - geosnooker2000 - 03-22-2021 02:24 PM

"their 24/7 writer" seems to not understand that we are trying to separate ourselves from the G4, not cement our membership in the G5. And I'm sorry that is not a very nice thing to say, but it is the truth. Unfortunately, ESPECIALLY in College Football, perception IS reality, and the perception of us taking a school from anywhere except the very tip-top of the MW or independents is a sidestep at best.

RE: Expansion question - Once a Knight... - 03-22-2021 02:28 PM

(03-22-2021 02:24 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

"their 24/7 writer" seems to not understand that we are trying to separate ourselves from the G4, not cement our membership in the G5. And I'm sorry that is not a very nice thing to say, but it is the truth. Unfortunately, ESPECIALLY in College Football, perception IS reality, and the perception of us taking a school from anywhere except the very tip-top of the MW or independents is a sidestep at best.

To me this is interesting. I get the desire to take the best available team, but at the same time, we brought in mid-tier/bottom dwellers with little support or interest like Tulsa at one point. Tulane wasn't a world-beater either but I know they are an academic elite. ECU brought a fan base, but has had practically zero success as a member of this conference. Were these not considerations at the start of the AAC? Obviously BSU and SDSU nearly happened, but after they pulled out...?

RE: Expansion question - geosnooker2000 - 03-22-2021 03:00 PM

(03-22-2021 02:28 PM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  
(03-22-2021 02:24 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

To me this is interesting. I get the desire to take the best available team, but at the same time, we brought in mid-tier/bottom dwellers with little support or interest like Tulsa at one point. Tulane wasn't a world-beater either but I know they are an academic elite. ECU brought a fan base, but has had practically zero success as a member of this conference. Were these not considerations at the start of the AAC? Obviously BSU and SDSU nearly happened, but after they pulled out...?

I think to some degree, you answered your own question. It was Panic time when Boise and South Dakota State University pulled out.