CSNbbs
Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? (/thread-918893.html)

Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - SylvaniaRocket - 03-17-2021 08:40 AM

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/ut/2021/03/16/david-briggs-for-toledo-basketball-can-the-nit-be-a-springboard/stories/20210316116

Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - adunifon - 03-17-2021 07:41 PM

No.

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - RangerRocket - 03-17-2021 07:42 PM

(03-17-2021 07:41 PM)adunifon Wrote:  No.

LOL

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - SylvaniaRocket - 03-17-2021 08:00 PM

Sprung right out the NIT.

Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - adunifon - 03-17-2021 08:00 PM

(03-17-2021 08:00 PM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  Sprung right out the NIT.

Got some frequent flier miles.

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - bcunn3128 - 03-17-2021 08:08 PM

I used to be proud to wear my UT gear around the country. Back in the day, Toledo beat “name” teams every season or two.

Not sure when I’ll wear any of it again. We’ve choked in so many nationally televised games in football & basketball the past few years...if the players & coaches don’t have pride, it’s kinda hard for a fan base to be proud. Here’s hoping a new AD is hungry for success and finds coaches who insist on teams that can rise to the challenge instead of shrinking & hiding.

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - nworocket - 03-17-2021 09:37 PM

I like Briggs, but he's had some stupid observations recently. He criticized Dino Babers for leaving BG after two years, said Candle is a good coach and said Michael Huger has done a fine job for the Falcons. I'm sure he thinks TK is a fantastic coach.

Gimme a break.

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - inductchuck16 - 03-17-2021 09:39 PM

Coach TK's comments prior to the game:

"Primetime on a Wednesday and we're the only game in the country. People are going to be starving for college basketball. And we're playing. That gives us a chance to help our recruiting, to help our brand, to help the University's brand. That's a really cool thing."

He says all that and then craps the bed. It's beyond frustrating being a fan of this program.

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - bcunn3128 - 03-17-2021 09:52 PM

At some point, the goal...the EXPECTATION... needs to be to WIN post-season games. We were spoiled by football winning a bowl game or two...then we started saying at least we were invited to a bowl after we lost the next couple...and now we’ve gone 2 seasons without a bowl. TK argued that this team absolutely deserved to be in the NIT, that they were one of the best 16 teams left out there, and then yes—they pooped the bed. So, what’s Candle’s record in post-season games now—keeping in mind we’re zero for zero the past 2 seasons? And what’s TK’s post-season record (including the MAC tournament)?

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - FMRocket - 03-17-2021 09:56 PM

(03-17-2021 09:37 PM)nworocket Wrote:  I like Briggs, but he's had some stupid observations recently. He criticized Dino Babers for leaving BG after two years, said Candle is a good coach and said Michael Huger has done a fine job for the Falcons. I'm sure he thinks TK is a fantastic coach.

Gimme a break.

Briggs does seem to sugarcoat on things, when in fact, a scathing impartial critique would be in order...

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - NewMex RocketFan - 03-17-2021 10:51 PM

Sink hole

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - Rocket_Fanatic - 03-18-2021 06:54 AM

(03-17-2021 08:08 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  I used to be proud to wear my UT gear around the country. Back in the day, Toledo beat “name” teams every season or two.

Not sure when I’ll wear any of it again. We’ve choked in so many nationally televised games in football & basketball the past few years...if the players & coaches don’t have pride, it’s kinda hard for a fan base to be proud. Here’s hoping a new AD is hungry for success and finds coaches who insist on teams that can rise to the challenge instead of shrinking & hiding.

I’ll never feel guilty for wearing my UT gear in public. The public generally has no idea how Toledo athletics are doing. I’ve gotten way more “Go Rockets” or “I went to Toledo” responses from random people than anything negative.

Bad take.

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - FMRocket - 03-18-2021 07:57 AM

(03-18-2021 06:54 AM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  
(03-17-2021 08:08 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  I used to be proud to wear my UT gear around the country. Back in the day, Toledo beat “name” teams every season or two.

I’ll never feel guilty for wearing my UT gear in public. The public generally has no idea how Toledo athletics are doing. I’ve gotten way more “Go Rockets” or “I went to Toledo” responses from random people than anything negative.

Bad take.

+1
Definitely not jumping ship... Just think that after a changing of the guard in a couple of years, the new guy may implement some changes, or at least force the present coaching staffs of the three revenue sports to realize, that mediocrity at the University of Toledo will not be tolerated...

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - rocket 51 - 03-18-2021 09:08 AM

Think they had too much BBQ. Played with BBQ hang over!

TK says some interesting things. Like "If they want us we'll get on a charter plane on Tuesday and fly down to Texas" Next we have a pic of him in Metro waiting for a commercial flight...he gets ahead of himself with going to a water park, or riding horses...then the "brand and recruiting" comment. We look like a team without a competitive affect!

I think in Texas there is a saying that applies..."All hat and no cattle". Fortunate to have gotten into the tourney (COVID turndowns). Certainly not the impression that we want to leave with people about our brand.

We deserve BETTER!

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - eastisbest - 03-18-2021 11:05 AM

(03-18-2021 06:54 AM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  

Bad take.

04-clap2

RE: Briggs: For Toledo basketball, can the NIT be a springboard? - Boca Rocket - 03-18-2021 11:13 AM

Ranking Conference Average BB Budgets:
#8 Atlantic 10 $4,991,756
#17 MAC $2,451,796