CSNbbs
North Texas game thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: North Texas game thread (/thread-918423.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: North Texas game thread - Maryland Monarch - 03-12-2021 12:03 AM

"The sun will come out tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, the sun will shine!"

Jeez...I'm spouting Broadway lyrics. Shoot me.

RE: North Texas game thread - Monarch Pride - 03-12-2021 12:03 AM

(03-12-2021 12:02 AM)CalODUFan Wrote:  
(03-11-2021 11:59 PM)RoanokeMonarch Wrote:  Total f$ucking disaster. Most of our guys just can’t shoot. Brick city baby.
I am a proud Monarch but this Coach and this team just makes me bored and sick to my stomach. Just terrible basketball. Two years in a row.
After 2 well played games at Western, they just don’t show up tonight. AGAIN.
At least our Ladies have some heart and grit, and know how to win....

And probably the last we will see of Curry and Ezikpe. Just gets worse

Ezikpe sucked tonight. How does it get worse?

RE: North Texas game thread - monarx - 03-12-2021 12:06 AM

(03-12-2021 12:02 AM)CalODUFan Wrote:  
(03-11-2021 11:59 PM)RoanokeMonarch Wrote:  Total f$ucking disaster. Most of our guys just can’t shoot. Brick city baby.
I am a proud Monarch but this Coach and this team just makes me bored and sick to my stomach. Just terrible basketball. Two years in a row.
After 2 well played games at Western, they just don’t show up tonight. AGAIN.
At least our Ladies have some heart and grit, and know how to win....

And probably the last we will see of Curry and Ezikpe. Just gets worse

Say it isn't so. But if it is, it's hard to blame them. JJ and the NCAAs are like oil and water. If they returned, I think the squad could be pretty good, and maybe a legit contender. But in this crap league, being really good doesn't cut it. And 1-7 JJ doesn't really inspire confidence come tourney time. I always say, we have to go to the NCAA at least once every four years. No player should ever graduate from ODU without a tourney appearance. If we do lose those guys, and I love em both, it will likely be because they want to see the tourney.

RE: North Texas game thread - Maryland Monarch - 03-12-2021 12:08 AM

Groundhog Day JJ style:

- Finish Top 4 in regular season play
- Drop a deuce on the Serta during the tournament
- Talk about "next year"
- Wash, rinse, repeat

RE: North Texas game thread - monarx - 03-12-2021 12:10 AM

(03-12-2021 12:08 AM)Maryland Monarch Wrote:  Groundhog Day JJ style:

- Talk about "next year"
- Wash, rinse, repeat

Don't forget: win 20 (well not in Covid season) against sub 150 schools but still sit at home.

North Texas game thread - ODUMONARCHZ1 - 03-12-2021 12:11 AM

Well I have to be up in 6 hrs. if we had won at least it would've been worth being tired at work tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RE: North Texas game thread - Monarch Pride - 03-12-2021 12:11 AM

Time for jj to go. Back to back first round losses in the tournament. Doesn’t cut it. Time to go!

RE: North Texas game thread - elon77 - 03-12-2021 12:11 AM

It started with football and ended with basketball. It all just SUCKED.

RE: North Texas game thread - elon77 - 03-12-2021 12:12 AM

(03-12-2021 12:11 AM)ODUMONARCHZ1 Wrote:  Well I have to be up in 6 hrs. if we had won at least it would've been worth being tired at work tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yep.

RE: North Texas game thread - Chillie Willie - 03-12-2021 12:13 AM

I thought I heard the announcers say that this was North Texas’s first conference semifinal since 2012. That must have been a tough 9 years.

RE: North Texas game thread - RoanokeMonarch - 03-12-2021 12:13 AM

(03-12-2021 12:10 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(03-12-2021 12:08 AM)Maryland Monarch Wrote:  Groundhog Day JJ style:

- Talk about "next year"
- Wash, rinse, repeat

Don't forget: win 20 (well not in Covid season) against sub 150 schools but still sit at home.

It just gets so old. Every year under Jones, same old, same old. But, heck, let the talk begin. We will be better next year!

RE: North Texas game thread - monarx - 03-12-2021 12:14 AM

Im obviously bummed, but do want to say, I thought our guys played very hard tonight. Our D on their best player was great. Curry's first half was outstanding. Im proud of their effort, and win or lose, they represented us well, and with class. This season was crazy, and they risked themselves and made sacrifices to give this team a chance. And it did bring some normalcy and fandom back to our lives. I do appreciate it, and congrats on a number of good wins this year. Marshall, UAB and WKU come to mind. Thanks Monarchs.

RE: North Texas game thread - Obiwan - 03-12-2021 12:17 AM

(03-12-2021 12:14 AM)monarx Wrote:  Im obviously bummed, but do want to say, I thought our guys played very hard tonight. Our D on their best player was great. Curry's first half was outstanding. Im proud of their effort, and win or lose, they represented us well, and with class. This season was crazy, and they risked themselves and made sacrifices to give this team a chance. And it did bring some normalcy and fandom back to our lives. I do appreciate it, and congrats on a number of good wins this year. Marshall, UAB and WKU come to mind. Thanks Monarchs.

Well said and I concur

RE: North Texas game thread - mturn017 - 03-12-2021 12:20 AM

(03-12-2021 12:14 AM)monarx Wrote:  Im obviously bummed, but do want to say, I thought our guys played very hard tonight. Our D on their best player was great. Curry's first half was outstanding. Im proud of their effort, and win or lose, they represented us well, and with class. This season was crazy, and they risked themselves and made sacrifices to give this team a chance. And it did bring some normalcy and fandom back to our lives. I do appreciate it, and congrats on a number of good wins this year. Marshall, UAB and WKU come to mind. Thanks Monarchs.

Hear, hear!

RE: North Texas game thread - Monarch Pride - 03-12-2021 12:21 AM

Doesn’t cut it. Plain and simple. Back to back CUSA game ONE losses. Time for JJ to pack his bags. Enough is enough. Completely unacceptable.

RE: North Texas game thread - Maryland Monarch - 03-12-2021 12:25 AM

(03-12-2021 12:21 AM)Monarch Pride Wrote:  Doesn’t cut it. Plain and simple. Back to back CUSA game ONE losses. Time for JJ to pack his bags. Enough is enough. Completely unacceptable.

Be careful what you wish for. JJ might have the bright idea to completely stink next year and get the 12 seed, then "upset" some other play-in lacky. That way we'll win a first round game (and get pummeled in the 2nd).

We could be the CUSA version of Towson.

RE: North Texas game thread - Monarch Pride - 03-12-2021 12:28 AM

(03-12-2021 12:25 AM)Maryland Monarch Wrote:  
(03-12-2021 12:21 AM)Monarch Pride Wrote:  Doesn’t cut it. Plain and simple. Back to back CUSA game ONE losses. Time for JJ to pack his bags. Enough is enough. Completely unacceptable.

Be careful what you wish for. JJ might have the bright idea to completely stink next year and get the 12 seed, then "upset" some other play-in lacky. That way we'll win a first round game (and get pummeled in the 2nd).

We could be the CUSA version of Towson.

I’m so disgusted I could spit. Completely unacceptable. I’m done with my contributions until there is a change.

RE: North Texas game thread - Petey Hodge - 03-12-2021 12:43 AM

JJ is the Kirk Cousins of MBB coaching. A lot of great regular season stats (games won, etc), but no post-season results.

RE: North Texas game thread - ODU BBALL - 03-12-2021 01:18 AM

They out-rebounded ODU by 2 and had a 12 - 8 advantage in offensive rebounds. The shot 9 for 20 on 3 point shots (45%). ODU was 2 for 12 (16.7%).

One 2nd half play sticks out in my mind. Their 2nd string 6'-10" center posted up on Trice, got the ball, put up a point blank shot over him and missed. He got the rebound and missed again. He got the rebound again and missed his 3rd consecutive point blank shot. He rebounded the ball again, and scored. All of this by simply reaching up higher right at the basket over the heads and outstretched arms of the shorter Monarch defenders around him.

Most every team in CUSA has better 3 point shooters than ODU does. Why?

Several CUSA teams have bigger skilled post players than ODU does. Why?

One of the reasons that other teams playing ODU get so many open looks from 3 is because Jeff's teams help out so much in the post and when teams drive down the lane. That works when the other team doesn't hit the 3s because they are going to get plenty of open looks. Hamlet had 7 assists - most on kick outs to open 3 point shooters after he drove into the lane.

Curry is one of the best in CUSA at driving to the basket in the half court offense, but as we saw in the 2nd half tonight, that can be taken away if it is all we have to score with. He was the only regular, dependable scoring threat ODU had tonight. A team that has trouble making baskets is a team that will have trouble winning against good teams in big games. That defines ODU this season, last season, and several other seasons under Jeff's leadership. I have no reason to believe that anything will be different regarding those deficiencies next season. Doing the same thing and expecting a different result is ...

RE: North Texas game thread - ODU BBALL - 03-12-2021 01:22 AM

One thing I will say about the players. I do believe that they all want to win and play hard. Some days they are just more successful and look better doing it than others.