CSNbbs
Karlgaard / AD Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Karlgaard / AD Thread (/thread-918259.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - OptimisticOwl - 05-03-2021 09:53 AM

(05-03-2021 09:21 AM)franklyconfused Wrote:  
(05-02-2021 09:40 PM)gsloth Wrote:  Sorry, folks. Sounds like JK isn't going to Northwestern. It will be an internal promotion, to be announced on Monday.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31379935/northwestern-wildcats-promoting-mike-polisky-ad-sources-say

The college football board I frequent has a number of current students and recent alumni from Northwestern who are very dissatisfied with this hire. There's apparently an ongoing credible lawsuit alleging a lack of control in the athletics department with respect to sexual harassment and racial discrimination in the cheer leading program, and the man they promoted is a named defendant in that case. I'm not intimately familiar with the details, but as I understand it, the (now fired) cheer coach pressured the girls on the team to put up with inappropriate advances/groping/etc. from big money donors and forced the Black cheerleaders to spread themselves across the cheer groups around the stadium for "optics". The man Northwestern just promoted is alleged to have supported a coverup of these actions.

And yet they still prefer him to JK

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - Hambone10 - 05-03-2021 11:51 AM

Ok, so here is MY suggestion.

1) JK has been as good or bad as others in his football hires... debatable... Basketball has been a mixed bag. Although JK does deserve some credit for the advancements in Women's sports, Stacy Mosely deserves an awful lot of credit for this as well. She oversees Swimming, soccer, volleyball, women's tennis and women's basketball. She seems to be a key component of the success there and should be retained. I don't know if she is prepared to be/wants to be AD, but she should certainly be in the conversation.

2) Rick Mello I believe is Joe's right hand. I don't know if he would or should stay if Joe does not... I don't know enough about anyone else on the staff to comment.... other than I think we should talk with both Tanner and Mike.

3) We need someone on the staff 'connected' to people in conferences we might want to join. That was one of JKs key qualities... but it seems the challenge hasn't been that he can't get a meeting with them, just that he doesn't have much to offer. We need both.

BY FAR Joe's biggest specific action was the replacing of WG... and it has 'not yet been successful' (and I am being VERY generous) by any measure. Wayne didn't leave and we had to pick from those available at the time, Wayne was essentially forced... and numerous viable candidates (with close ties and support) were available. Had he hired Hallmark or Berkman and it not worked out, we could 'blame' him for seeking a connection over quality... but he CHOSE to blaze his own path here.

I would speak to the OG and see if there were any way we could entice him back AT LEAST as an honorary position... to have him show up at a few games, speak to alumni and parents... Maybe as part of the Doerr Leadership Institute or Continuing Studies?? To have someone of his stature not be involved in ANY way with our program is just unbelievable. Its almost as if we are trying to FORGET all that he accomplished and all the players (and coaches) he brought to us.

I would keep Stacy and talk to Tanner and Mike (and the others). I would then hire someone who fills the missing gaps... of course with the input of (especially) Stacy. If that is a 'money' person or an 'idea' person or a 'conference connections' person or a 'picking coaches' person or a 'connecting with the campus/administration' person, you won't know until you talk with the above...

If someone who hasn't been a head AD comes in and insists on bringing in their own COMPLETE team of people, that's a big red flag for me. Sure, if there is simply no common ground, you do what you must... but we seem to have let an awful lot of people who have never built teams before, build their own teams. How about somebody who knows how to get a lot out of what they have, and then focus on areas of deficiency?

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - RiceFootball2K5 - 05-03-2021 01:32 PM

(05-03-2021 11:51 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Ok, so here is MY suggestion.

1) JK has been as good or bad as others in his football hires... debatable... Basketball has been a mixed bag. Although JK does deserve some credit for the advancements in Women's sports, Stacy Mosely deserves an awful lot of credit for this as well. She oversees Swimming, soccer, volleyball, women's tennis and women's basketball. She seems to be a key component of the success there and should be retained. I don't know if she is prepared to be/wants to be AD, but she should certainly be in the conversation.

2) Rick Mello I believe is Joe's right hand. I don't know if he would or should stay if Joe does not... I don't know enough about anyone else on the staff to comment.... other than I think we should talk with both Tanner and Mike.

3) We need someone on the staff 'connected' to people in conferences we might want to join. That was one of JKs key qualities... but it seems the challenge hasn't been that he can't get a meeting with them, just that he doesn't have much to offer. We need both.

BY FAR Joe's biggest specific action was the replacing of WG... and it has 'not yet been successful' (and I am being VERY generous) by any measure. Wayne didn't leave and we had to pick from those available at the time, Wayne was essentially forced... and numerous viable candidates (with close ties and support) were available. Had he hired Hallmark or Berkman and it not worked out, we could 'blame' him for seeking a connection over quality... but he CHOSE to blaze his own path here.

I would speak to the OG and see if there were any way we could entice him back AT LEAST as an honorary position... to have him show up at a few games, speak to alumni and parents... Maybe as part of the Doerr Leadership Institute or Continuing Studies?? To have someone of his stature not be involved in ANY way with our program is just unbelievable. Its almost as if we are trying to FORGET all that he accomplished and all the players (and coaches) he brought to us.

I would keep Stacy and talk to Tanner and Mike (and the others). I would then hire someone who fills the missing gaps... of course with the input of (especially) Stacy. If that is a 'money' person or an 'idea' person or a 'conference connections' person or a 'picking coaches' person or a 'connecting with the campus/administration' person, you won't know until you talk with the above...

If someone who hasn't been a head AD comes in and insists on bringing in their own COMPLETE team of people, that's a big red flag for me. Sure, if there is simply no common ground, you do what you must... but we seem to have let an awful lot of people who have never built teams before, build their own teams. How about somebody who knows how to get a lot out of what they have, and then focus on areas of deficiency?

Agree with much of this, but I don't want to see anyone currently employed by Rice as the next AD. I agree with your last point, I don't want to see a Todd Graham come in and start throwing people out, but we need a total change at the top.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - Hambone10 - 05-03-2021 01:45 PM

(05-03-2021 01:32 PM)RiceFootball2K5 Wrote:  Agree with much of this, but I don't want to see anyone currently employed by Rice as the next AD.

FWIW, I believe Stacy predates JK

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - RiceFootball2K5 - 05-03-2021 01:59 PM

She does and she does a good job. She does not get lumped in with the Palo Alto bunch and I want her kept in place by the next AD.

My point stands that I don’t want anyone currently working at Rice as the next AD. We need a change in leadership, not a promotion from within.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - RiceOwl - 05-03-2021 02:46 PM

(05-03-2021 01:59 PM)RiceFootball2K5 Wrote:  She does and she does a good job. She does not get lumped in with the Palo Alto bunch and I want her kept in place by the next AD.

My point stands that I don’t want anyone currently working at Rice as the next AD. We need a change in leadership, not a promotion from within.

Fair point. A change in leadership seems the most logical. And SM being around before JK is wonderful - it takes away from any claim he has for our recent ascension and strong performance in women's athletics.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - Hambone10 - 05-03-2021 02:58 PM

(05-03-2021 01:59 PM)RiceFootball2K5 Wrote:  She does and she does a good job. She does not get lumped in with the Palo Alto bunch and I want her kept in place by the next AD.

Well, I think Stacy should be looked at. I'd hate to lose her... and if she were open to letting women's sports be the entre' for men's (not sacrificing them, but coordinating them) then I'd be okay with her. By that I mean things like encouraging women's sports to play some B1G teams (as opposed to or in addition to B12 teams) if that was where we thought we fit. Men's sports making money/being less of a drag on the endowment would obviously benefit women's sports. Besides, nominating a successful (at Rice) Sr Associate female AD would be positive in many respects. Maybe she's happy where she is and would perhaps just like a little more recognition?? Or not. I don't know.

The others, I don't know enough about... they aren't AD material I don't think and didn't mean that they should be considered for that position... I just meant that I don't know that I'd exclude them

ONE reason for this is that I'd like to bring some talent in from outside the ADs office pipeline where 'doing things the same' is an admirable quality. Exactly where they fit, I couldn't tell you without knowing a lot more about who they are and what we have.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - ExcitedOwl18 - 05-03-2021 03:19 PM

I know that there's been a bit of exodus from the athletic department over the last several months. Trey Jackson, Caroline Hall, and Kevin Richardson all departed.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - WestGrayStreetOwl - 05-03-2021 03:27 PM

(05-03-2021 01:45 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(05-03-2021 01:32 PM)RiceFootball2K5 Wrote:  Agree with much of this, but I don't want to see anyone currently employed by Rice as the next AD.

So does Rick.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - Hambone10 - 05-03-2021 03:43 PM

(05-03-2021 03:27 PM)WestGrayStreetOwl Wrote:  
(05-03-2021 01:45 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  

So does Rick.

Fair. Other than 'JK's dirty work', I don't know what he specifically does. He may well be a key component in terms of the Administrations generally favorable ratings of JK. If he is, he may be a good one to consider keeping as well.

Hell, I'm not even opposed to JK staying... I just think it unreasonable to expect that he isn't mostly doing exactly what he thinks needs to be done. Anybody else, they may or may not be banging their heads against the same walls as us.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - georgewebb - 05-03-2021 04:02 PM

(05-03-2021 03:19 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  I know that there's been a bit of exodus from the athletic department over the last several months. Trey Jackson, Caroline Hall, and Kevin Richardson all departed.

I don't have enough to info to say whether this is remarkable, or simply the usual organizational turnover, particular among younger employees.

Turnover in athletics naturally tends to cluster in the spring.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - waltgreenberg - 05-03-2021 04:08 PM

(05-03-2021 11:51 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Ok, so here is MY suggestion.

Bones, I agree with most of this, but would want to keep Tanner as well as Stacy. Rick Mello, as well. Yes, Rick is JK's right hand man, but that's only because he was 2nd in command when Joe arrived and so he naturally leaned on him. Rick is a good man, and with JK's inability and disinterest in interacting with alumni supporters (save for the mega donors), Mello has been the primary liaison to the Rice community. Rick has also been the point person in scheduling OOC games in all the men's sports and many of the women's. BTW, Rick and Wayne maintained a good relationship to the end. He was the only one in the department Wayne would talk to.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - RiceOwl - 05-03-2021 04:17 PM

Mello is a great guy and always willing to catch up with anyone. Keeping him around is a no brainer.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - Ourland - 05-03-2021 05:55 PM

Anyone Karlgaard brought in, needs to leave with him.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - waltgreenberg - 05-03-2021 07:37 PM

(05-03-2021 05:55 PM)Ourland Wrote:  Anyone Karlgaard brought in, needs to leave with him.

Why? Tanner is a true asset to the department.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - RiceFootball2K5 - 05-03-2021 08:15 PM

(05-03-2021 07:37 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(05-03-2021 05:55 PM)Ourland Wrote:  Anyone Karlgaard brought in, needs to leave with him.

At one time he was.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - texowl2 - 05-03-2021 08:46 PM

(05-03-2021 08:15 PM)RiceFootball2K5 Wrote:  

At one time he was.

disagree, Tanner is solid

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - NYNightOwl - 05-03-2021 09:19 PM

+1

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - RiceFootball2K5 - 05-03-2021 09:38 PM

(05-03-2021 08:46 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  
(05-03-2021 08:15 PM)RiceFootball2K5 Wrote:  

At one time he was.

disagree, Tanner is solid

He has done some good things but was given opportunities in recent years that were royally botched. I don’t have a problem with him staying in his current role if a new non-Stanford affiliated AD wanted him there. Wouldn’t consider promoting him. If you have to choose from within (you don’t) pick Stacy or Mello.

RE: Karlgaard / AD Thread - RiceFootball2K5 - 05-03-2021 09:46 PM

(05-03-2021 09:33 PM)RiceOwls2019 Wrote:  Yeah in my limited personal dealings he's seemed nice but I've not heard the best of things about him from some people at businesses/partners that will no longer work with us. Will leave it at that.

^ right track