CSNbbs
Baseball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Baseball (/thread-917526.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Baseball - 62423dp - 05-09-2021 12:21 PM

Stop the presses! They actually won their first series of the season taking 3 of 4 from Akron.

Followed up by losing first 2 at Western Mich.

They did get a W yesterday. Maybe get a series split with a win today?

11-30 on the year.

RE: Baseball - HuskieDave - 05-09-2021 12:41 PM

(05-09-2021 12:21 PM)62423dp Wrote:  Stop the presses! They actually won their first series of the season taking 3 of 4 from Akron.

Followed up by losing first 2 at Western Mich.

They did get a W yesterday. Maybe get a series split with a win today?

11-30 on the year.

Akron is literally nearly the worst team in the country. Their RPI is 292 out of 293 (only Mississippi Valley State has a lower RPI). They shutdown their program in 2015 and just restarted it back up. But, yes, we did finally win a series.

RE: Baseball - uiniu57 - 05-09-2021 09:13 PM

(05-09-2021 12:41 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  
(05-09-2021 12:21 PM)62423dp Wrote:  Stop the presses! They actually won their first series of the season taking 3 of 4 from Akron.
11-30 on the year.

Akron is literally nearly the worst team in the country. Their RPI is 292 out of 293 (only Mississippi Valley State has a lower RPI). They shutdown their program in 2015 and just restarted it back up. But, yes, we did finally win a series.

Memo to NIU baseball coach: When you go south for spring break 2022, schedule a series with Mississippi Valley State.

RE: Baseball - NorthCoast - 06-03-2021 11:31 AM

I’m curious to know, so I’d like to take an impromptu poll here regarding everyone’s interest in baseball relative to the other NIU sponsored Men’s sports.

NIU currently sponsors 7 Men’s sports. Please rank them 1-7 (with 1 being most favorite and 7 being least favorite).

You can use whatever criteria you’d like to use when ranking. It can be a a general ranking, or it can be a ranking as of this moment taking into account the sport’s current level of success, etc. Including a brief blurb about your ranking criteria, for context, may be helpful to the discussion.

Thank you for your participation.

I’ll start. This is somewhat of a general ranking with a bit of influence from the current success (or lack of) of the sport.

1) Football
2) Soccer
3) Basketball
4) Wrestling
5) Tennis
6) Baseball
7) Golf

RE: Baseball - HuskieDave - 06-03-2021 11:39 AM

Football
Basketball
Baseball
Soccer
Wrestling
Tennis
Golf

RE: Baseball - NIUfilmmaker - 06-03-2021 11:43 AM

Football
Basketball
Golf
Soccer
Baseball
Tennis
Wrestling

RE: Baseball - pvk75 - 06-03-2021 12:11 PM

1) Football. Biggest moneymaker, great attention, large crowd potential, P5 scheduling, post-season opportunity, #1 college sport nationwide.
2) Basketball. Same reasons as football, but not quite so much.
3) Soccer. Ahead of baseball because every school in the region -- pre-school, elementary, middle, junior high, high, two-year college -- has soccer. Potential is huge ... hosting h.s. and junior regional tournaments and (just being honest) large Hispanic/Latino population where soccer is #1, not to mention NIU's stated goal to be more open to increasing minority enrollment. Potential draw, but note that half the squad is not local or even regional. Can't recruit from the region? (See ***).
4) Baseball/golf. A tie because a) baseball is a time-worn tradition and b) NIU golf program(s) have humongous local financial support, which then crosses over to general athletics. NIU's main course, Rich Harvest Farms, has hosted the Solheim Cup, several pro tournaments and even the NCAA championships. May be peculiar to NIU, as these rankings would be for any individual school that is profiled this way. If I had to choose, I'd put golf at 4 and baseball at 4 1/2.
5) Wrestling/tennis. Another tie due to recent successes by both. Don't want to diminish that. Small squads, "minor" sports," but worth the attention they get. and NIU needs attention.

*** I could be opening a big can of worms here --- and maybe this really isn't the purpose of this thread --- but I can't understand why the baseball stadium project gets more attention than soccer stadium project (unless it's to "save" baseball). At least try a big fund-raiser for soccer and see what happens. The Frisco Bowl is played in a soccer stadium, and NIU tried to move the BYU game to a soccer stadium without blinking. Hawaii's "substitute" stadium is for soccer (they're building a new FB stadium), and the Bahamas Bowl was built as one. MLS Chicago Fire is pretty popular. Yet it seems NIU resists the opportunity. IMO ... dumb.

Apologies for going off-track. Maybe this "survey" needs a thread of its own (??).

RE: Baseball - Big Red - 06-03-2021 12:23 PM

1. Basketball
2. Football
-------------
3. Baseball
-------------
4. Golf
5. Soccer
6. Tennis
7. Wrestling

I have little to no interest in those last 4 but if I had to pick one, it'd be golf as I just like watching and playing golf but I literally know nothing about the NIU golf program.

RE: Baseball - NIUfilmmaker - 06-03-2021 12:31 PM

If the purpose of this is to see if baseball or another men's sport is expendable, please kill 1 or 2 women's sports before eyeing any men's teams. We have 9 ladies teams and only 7 mens sports at NIU, no men's team should be near a chopping block with that ratio.

RE: Baseball - HawaiiToNIU - 06-03-2021 12:33 PM

(06-03-2021 12:23 PM)Big Red Wrote:  1. Basketball
2. Football
-------------
3. Baseball
-------------
4. Golf
5. Soccer
6. Tennis
7. Wrestling

I have little to no interest in those last 4 but if I had to pick one, it'd be golf as I just like watching and playing golf but I literally know nothing about the NIU golf program.

Golf plays on one of the best courses in the country. The alumni support is surprisingly strong, they even have a custom MB bus.

RE: Baseball - pvk75 - 06-03-2021 12:38 PM

(06-03-2021 12:31 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  If the purpose of this is to see if baseball or another men's sport is expendable, please kill 1 or 2 women's sports before eyeing any men's teams. We have 9 ladies teams and only 7 mens sports at NIU, no men's team should be near a chopping block with that ratio.

No can do. Feb. athletic board meeting report notes NIU is studying ways to comply with Title IX provisions due to larger female enrollment than men. Cutting a women's sport would make the situation worse. I posted that link on the "NIU and Title IX" thread further down this page of threads, if you're interested.

RE: Baseball - HawaiiToNIU - 06-03-2021 12:42 PM

(06-03-2021 12:38 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  
(06-03-2021 12:31 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  If the purpose of this is to see if baseball or another men's sport is expendable, please kill 1 or 2 women's sports before eyeing any men's teams. We have 9 ladies teams and only 7 mens sports at NIU, no men's team should be near a chopping block with that ratio.

No can do. Feb. athletic board meeting report notes NIU is studying ways to comply with Title IX provisions due to larger female enrollment than men. I posted that link on the "NIU and Title IX" thread further down this page.

Years ago, there was national discussion on getting cheerleading included as a sport. That would have greatly helped with Title IX compliance, however that was brutally shot down. Unfortunate, because what they do is dangerous and NIU is very competitive in Cheerleading. Despite being a club and a severe lack of funding.

RE: Baseball - pvk75 - 06-03-2021 12:51 PM

(06-03-2021 12:42 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(06-03-2021 12:38 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  

No can do. Feb. athletic board meeting report notes NIU is studying ways to comply with Title IX provisions due to larger female enrollment than men. I posted that link on the "NIU and Title IX" thread further down this page.

Years ago, there was national discussion on getting cheerleading included as a sport. That would have greatly helped with Title IX compliance, however that was brutally shot down. Unfortunate, because what they do is dangerous and NIU is very competitive in Cheerleading. Despite being a club and a severe lack of funding.

NIU already nixed that idea when STF cut cheerleading, and it came back as a "club." Ironically, it is now back under athletics when the a-dept. took over student recreation. And it's now listed on the a-dept official website in the drop-down menu under "Inside Athletics." (A pat on the back to all on the Dog Pound who supported it when we found out, two years after the cut was quietly made.)

RE: Baseball - Jwbon - 06-03-2021 12:54 PM

1) Baseball
2) Football
3) Basketball
4) Soccer
5) Wrestling
6) Golf
7) Tennis

RE: Baseball - HuskieDave - 06-03-2021 01:37 PM

Not true. The number of football scholarships far exceeds that of any other sport. Title IX is based on scholarships granted by gender. The actual number of sports is immaterial to compliance. That is the reason there are nine womens sports and only seven for men.

RE: Baseball - 62423dp - 06-03-2021 03:28 PM

Recruiting coordinator and pitching coach Maki has left program to take head job at Cleary College.

Might be addition thru subtraction.

RE: Baseball - Big Red - 06-03-2021 05:55 PM

(06-03-2021 01:37 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  

Not true. The number of football scholarships far exceeds that of any other sport. Title IX is based on scholarships granted by gender. The actual number of sports is immaterial to compliance. That is the reason there are nine womens sports and only seven for men.

I'm almost 100% positive football scholarships don't factor into Title IX (or maybe not at the full amount).

Otherwise, you'd have to have like 6 additional women's sports to make up for just football alone.

RE: Baseball - HuskieDave - 06-03-2021 06:14 PM

(06-03-2021 05:55 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

I'm almost 100% positive football scholarships don't factor into Title IX (or maybe not at the full amount).

Otherwise, you'd have to have like 6 additional women's sports to make up for just football alone.

Women already have cross country, gymnastics, track and field, and volleyball with no corresponding mens sport. The only mens sport without a corresponding womens sport, other than football, is wrestling.

RE: Baseball - HawaiiToNIU - 06-03-2021 06:40 PM

Unfortunately, they do.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inclusion/title-ix-frequently-asked-questions

Q. Is any sport excluded from Title IX?

Under Title IX there are no sport exclusions or exceptions. Individual participation opportunities (number of student-athletes participating rather than number of sports) in all men's and women's sports are counted in determining whether an institution meets Title IX participation standards. The basic philosophical underpinning of Title IX is that there cannot be an economic justification for discrimination. The institution cannot maintain that there are revenue productions or other considerations that mandate that certain sports receive better treatment or participation opportunities than other sports.

RE: Baseball - Big Red - 06-03-2021 07:32 PM

(06-03-2021 06:40 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  

Unfortunately, they do.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inclusion/title-ix-frequently-asked-questions

Q. Is any sport excluded from Title IX?

Under Title IX there are no sport exclusions or exceptions. Individual participation opportunities (number of student-athletes participating rather than number of sports) in all men's and women's sports are counted in determining whether an institution meets Title IX participation standards. The basic philosophical underpinning of Title IX is that there cannot be an economic justification for discrimination. The institution cannot maintain that there are revenue productions or other considerations that mandate that certain sports receive better treatment or participation opportunities than other sports.

I probably didn't word my comment correctly (and I'm still probably wrong, it's been a long time since I had this class) but what you posted and what I meant (emphasis on "meant") is not the same.

This is saying that a revenue producer can't have preferential treatment (ie, equipment, resources, transportation, etc). In other words, the equipment being issued to each sport has to be comparable.

Obviously, football equipment and facilities are vastly more expensive than something like women's soccer, but the level of equipment has to be equal.

Women's soccer probably isn't the best example there either because there's a men's team and it's pretty easy to see the comparison.

I guess volleyball is maybe the sport you'd have to look at as the others have a pretty direct co-sport on the other side, ie baseball/softball, wrestling/gymnastics(???)).

And it's not the best comparison but is the level of equipment/practice gear/medical/training facilities/etc equal with what is offered to football?

Again, I'm probably wrong in what I'm looking at.

As a comparison, I looked at Toledo and was surprised to see they don't offer wrestling or soccer. They have 6 men's sports (baseball, basketball, football, tennis, golf, cross country) and 9 women's sports (basketball, soccer, softball, cross country, golf, tennis, swimming/diving, track & field, volleyball).

I'm starting to see why women get track and field in these schools and not the men because its a huge roster to offset football.

Seems to me, we could easily add swimming and diving. Toledo's S/D team has 24 athletes. That's a pretty good number to add and I'm guessing it's not a super expensive sport. Unless the swimming facility in Anderson is not a viable facility which...I know it's been there for a really long time so maybe it isn't.

Other than that, I think you'd have to look at something like women's lacrosse or field hockey.

Ball State doesn't offer wrestling or soccer either but they do offer men's swimming and diving and volleyball.

BSU does, however offer women's field hockey so there's at least a team in the conference that offers it. I'm sure they play Notre Dame and some other foofy foofy schools. I haven't checked but I bet Miami offers it too.

Yup, they do. They also offer synchronized skating... Whatever the hell that is. But whatever it is, they have a roster of 40 athletes on that team!!!

So, it looks to me like there's a couple of options they could add without deleting a men's sport. Although, as much as it seems a lot of people could see them cutting baseball (being as bad as they are), it seems more like the conference teams are more apt to cutting either wrestling or men's soccer.

I think NIU is pretty committed to soccer (both men and women) and have historically had some good wrestling teams throughout the years, but it makes you wonder when many MAC teams don't have those sports.