CSNbbs
2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects (/thread-917317.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - bearcatmark - 04-14-2022 08:47 AM

(04-14-2022 08:39 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  
(04-14-2022 07:26 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  I think we have to prepare for seeing Bearcats in those uniforms next season. It may be a little like cheering for Kelce this year with the Chiefs; admire his effort and individual accomplishments but allow the Bengals to prevail.

I don't have a rooting interest in any NFL teams but if you do you have to recognize that when we have 8 guys drafted and more to come annually we're going to at some point have guys on a lot of the teams you dislike.

I really just don't want Des on a team I dislike. I don't mind rooting for individual players on teams I dislike, but QB is so impactful on the game and so judged by team success that I don't want that complicated feeling for Des. It wasn't hard to root for Andre Frasier on the Steelers or Brad Jackson on the ravens and still root against those teams.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - nachoman91 - 04-14-2022 08:51 AM

(04-08-2022 11:57 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  It's Kind of complicated to explain the methodology, but here are a few tidbits from The Athletic's beat writers' individual mock drafts as a whole:

Quote:- As was the case last year, the college program with the most projected draft picks is Georgia, with 12. That’s just ahead of Penn State (11), Cincinnati (nine) and five schools with eight each: Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Tennessee and Texas A&M.

- Miami (Ohio) had one more (two) than Miami (Fla.)

- This year, the SEC has 74 picks, with the Big Ten next, at 50. The next-best conference, from outside the Power 5, is the American (23 picks), putting it ahead of the Pac-12 (21 picks), ACC (17) and the Big 12 (13), which barely edged out the Sun Belt (12)

It's too bad the American never got the respect and payday they deserved. I'd be happy staying in this conference if it generated the same revenue as the other bottom three P5 conferences. I've always enjoyed being the bigger fish in a small pond. UC's time in the Big East for football was great but for basketball was just ok. I like winning more than I like playing a brutal schedule against bigger name teams every year.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - bearcatmark - 04-14-2022 08:56 AM

(04-14-2022 08:51 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  
(04-08-2022 11:57 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  It's Kind of complicated to explain the methodology, but here are a few tidbits from The Athletic's beat writers' individual mock drafts as a whole:

Quote:- As was the case last year, the college program with the most projected draft picks is Georgia, with 12. That’s just ahead of Penn State (11), Cincinnati (nine) and five schools with eight each: Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Tennessee and Texas A&M.

- This year, the SEC has 74 picks, with the Big Ten next, at 50. The next-best conference, from outside the Power 5, is the American (23 picks), putting it ahead of the Pac-12 (21 picks), ACC (17) and the Big 12 (13), which barely edged out the Sun Belt (12)

It's too bad the American never got the respect and payday they deserved. I'd be happy staying in this conference if it generated the same revenue as the other bottom three P5 conferences. I've always enjoyed being the bigger fish in a small pond. UC's time in the Big East for football was great but for basketball was just ok. I like winning more than I like playing a brutal schedule against bigger name teams every year.

Basketball was just OK because of where UC started... but it was beginning to be pretty damn good and losing the Big East undoubtedly hurt the program from a basketball standpoint.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - natibeast2.0 - 04-14-2022 09:17 AM

(04-14-2022 08:56 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(04-14-2022 08:51 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  

Basketball was just OK because of where UC started... but it was beginning to be pretty damn good and losing the Big East undoubtedly hurt the program from a basketball standpoint.

I loved the Big East of '04ish-'12ish for basketball. I did actually prefer the American over the Big East for football as I really only missed playing WV, Louisville, and somewhat Pitt. I have pretty high hopes for the Big 12 and will only miss Memphis. I did like SMU and USF, but far prefer UCF and Houston.

In regards to draft, I get it if your a hardcore Bengals fan but the Steelers are one of the best pro sports organizations. I'd actually be happy if Des ends up in one of their caliber. The Bengals are my team since day 1 but my love/passion has fallen the older I've gotten.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - natibeast2.0 - 04-14-2022 09:18 AM

In regards to draft, I get it if your a hardcore Bengals fan but the Steelers are one of the best pro sports organizations. I'd actually be happy if Des ends up in one of their caliber. The Bengals are my team since day 1 but my true love/passion has fallen the older I've gotten with the NFL rules changes screwing the D so Bengals passion had an obvious effect.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - skylinecat - 04-14-2022 01:40 PM

(04-14-2022 09:18 AM)natibeast2.0 Wrote:  In regards to draft, I get it if your a hardcore Bengals fan but the Steelers are one of the best pro sports organizations. I'd actually be happy if Des ends up in one of their caliber. The Bengals are my team since day 1 but my true love/passion has fallen the older I've gotten with the NFL rules changes screwing the D so Bengals passion had an obvious effect.

Him going to the Steelers and doing well would also be a boon for recruiting. Every kid in Cincinnati and Cleveland would be watching him twice a year (and it will surely be brought up) in a way that wouldn't happen if he ends up in for instance Seattle. Dez having a 10 year career as the QB for the Steelers would pay a ton of dividends for UC.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - Cataclysmo - 04-14-2022 03:04 PM

An odd observation to make is that Des may well be QB1 in this draft and yet the QB many of us wanted to replace him two years ago will possibly lead the Bearcats this fall

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - vabearcat - 04-14-2022 11:21 PM

(04-14-2022 01:40 PM)skylinecat Wrote:  
(04-14-2022 09:18 AM)natibeast2.0 Wrote:  In regards to draft, I get it if your a hardcore Bengals fan but the Steelers are one of the best pro sports organizations. I'd actually be happy if Des ends up in one of their caliber. The Bengals are my team since day 1 but my true love/passion has fallen the older I've gotten with the NFL rules changes screwing the D so Bengals passion had an obvious effect.

Him going to the Steelers and doing well would also be a boon for recruiting. Every kid in Cincinnati and Cleveland would be watching him twice a year (and it will surely be brought up) in a way that wouldn't happen if he ends up in for instance Seattle. Dez having a 10 year career as the QB for the Steelers would pay a ton of dividends for UC.

Not sure that Ridder as a Steeler would have much, if any, positive ramifications for UC. Has Ben Roethlesberger’s Hall of Fame career done anything positive for Miami University, its football program or its recruiting?

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - BearcatMan - 04-15-2022 06:28 AM

(04-14-2022 11:21 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  

Not sure that Ridder as a Steeler would have much, if any, positive ramifications for UC. Has Ben Roethlesberger’s Hall of Fame career done anything positive for Miami University, its football program or its recruiting?

Well, they have had a permanent IPF that is P5 quality for about 4 years now, and we have a plastic bubble...so they've at least got us there. I think they are hindered a little by the fact that Roethlisberger legally can't be seen within 1000 yards of a college bar though...

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - CliftonAve - 04-15-2022 07:17 AM

The tanking of their football program is due to a variety of factors internally and externally. The better comparison might be how Michael Vick propelled Virginia Tech's program Like UC under Ridder, Tech had good seasons before Vick went under center in 1999, but the Hokies went to the BCS National Championship game and suddenly received a lot more exposure from ESPN and their fan base grew (and recruiting improved across the board).

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - OKIcat - 04-15-2022 07:48 AM

Bolded, I'll respectfully disagree regarding the comparative benefits of Ben to Miami vs. Des to UC because the context here is quite different.

Big Ben was the last good thing that happened for Miami football as it slid toward the abyss. Since Ben, the Redhawks have been irrelevant on the national stage, often because of poor decisions by its university and athletic leadership and competing in a decidedly low profile MAC.

Alternately, UC's entry into a BCS 6 conference (Big East), continued success in the AAC with a NY6 bowl, CFP appearance, and impending P5 conference membership, befit a program with a fast rising national profile. Des joining a high profile NFL franchise and enjoying success will be another building block in what is already a historic rise in football fortunes for the Bearcats. And with the B12 flag now planted in OH and WV, the bordering western PA region could become a prime recruiting area for Cincinnati in the near future. A successful Des leading the Steelers would strengthen the narrative of Cincinnati's rise to being a consistently ranked P5 program.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - skylinecat - 04-15-2022 10:17 AM

My point was that 1) he is going to be a starting QB in the NFL at some point for however long and 2) that kids in our recruiting area are far more likely to watch him play if he's the starter for the Steelers and make that connection that if he is in Jacksonville or Seattle. If he ends up on the Steelers, they are going to talk about how Zac Taylor recruited him to UC for his entire career every Bengals game. I'm not saying its going to elevate us to Alabama but every little bit helps.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - cpawstoney - 04-15-2022 04:17 PM

(04-15-2022 10:17 AM)skylinecat Wrote:  

My point was that 1) he is going to be a starting QB in the NFL at some point for however long and 2) that kids in our recruiting area are far more likely to watch him play if he's the starter for the Steelers and make that connection that if he is in Jacksonville or Seattle. If he ends up on the Steelers, they are going to talk about how Zac Taylor recruited him to UC for his entire career every Bengals game. I'm not saying its going to elevate us to Alabama but every little bit helps.

I'd like to see Ridder on the Steelers. For people who live in the Cincinnati area, after the Bengals, the Browns and the Steelers get more broadcast time locally than other NFL teams. I want to see Des play in the NFL!

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - Captain Bearcat - 04-16-2022 07:21 AM

(04-15-2022 06:28 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Well, they have had a permanent IPF that is P5 quality for about 4 years now, and we have a plastic bubble...so they've at least got us there. I think they are hindered a little by the fact that Roethlisberger legally can't be seen within 1000 yards of a college bar though...

This.

Also it's partly about the personality of the school. Most high school athletes don't see themselves as Miami-type guys.

If Roethlisberger had gone to Ohio or Akron, and if he had the character of Matt Stafford or Drew Brees, then I bet you would have seen a significant bump at his alma matter due to his career in Pittsburgh.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - Bearhawkeye - 04-16-2022 11:35 AM

I'm not buying the Ridder specifically to the Steelers would be a "boon for (UC) recruiting" scenario. Sounds like fan fantasy to me. If he does well, it will reflect well on UC and could maybe have a small impact regardless of team. Him doing well with the Steelers v. any other team would have a negligible additional impact. In my opinion, recruits are interested in NIL, winning, facilities, coaches, playing time, culture and getting to any NFL team.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - Bruce Monnin - 04-16-2022 12:37 PM

(04-16-2022 11:35 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  I'm not buying the Ridder specifically to the Steelers would be a "boon for (UC) recruiting" scenario. Sounds like fan fantasy to me. If he does well, it will reflect well on UC and could maybe have a small impact regardless of team. Him doing well with the Steelers v. any other team would have a negligible additional impact. In my opinion, recruits are interested in NIL, winning, facilities, coaches, playing time, culture and getting to any NFL team.

I agree. The Steelers are just my team and, in my opinion, a better organization than many other NFL teams. Therefore, I think Ridder to Pittsburgh would be good for Ridder, and hopefully good for the Steelers too.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - bearcatmark - 04-18-2022 11:26 AM

This was pretty great on Des:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/04/18/mmqb-desmond-ridder-sam-howell-draft-prospects

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - Lush - 04-18-2022 03:22 PM

beavers to the 'gals in the fourth round would be sweet. dude's gonna an all pro

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - BearcatDave - 04-19-2022 01:27 PM

Would be cool to see Alec Pierce in a Bengals uniform also.

RE: 2022 Bearcats NFL Draft Prospects - Bearhawkeye - 04-19-2022 11:07 PM

(04-19-2022 01:27 PM)BearcatDave Wrote:  Would be cool to see Alec Pierce in a Bengals uniform also.

Sauce will obviously be long gone and Des isn't a fit, but pretty much any of the other legit UC draft candidates this year could make sense for the Bengals. I hope they snag at least one if the value is a match.