CSNbbs
UAB weekend - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: UAB weekend (/thread-916914.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: UAB weekend - Chillie Willie - 02-21-2021 11:11 AM

(02-21-2021 10:56 AM)Avl1 Wrote:  Is there a re-play of the game anywhere ? 07-coffee3

If you didn’t record the game you might be out of luck. I don’t think Stadium does full game replays like ESPN.

RE: UAB weekend - CalODUFan - 02-21-2021 11:49 AM

(02-20-2021 09:26 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(02-20-2021 06:54 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(02-20-2021 06:36 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(02-20-2021 04:40 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Green starting to find his shot, but keeps tuning it over.

X had TWO turnovers...

But...

Reece had 4
Kalu had 3
Curry had 3

And you are straight crickets....

We get it, you don’t like X.
Give it a rest
Green was in fire, and that makes up for a lot. But he made some poor decisions tonight. The charge and the two 5 second calls stand out. But a breakout game scoring.

Two turnovers... you’re crediting him with a TO that wasn’t his

Can you imagine how good this team could have been if X had just played like today for the last two years, even with the boneheaded plays. If he had shot decently and continued to play good defense, this team could have been at the top of CUSA, especially if Wade had not gotten hurt. We might have even won NCAA games.

RE: UAB weekend - bit_9 - 02-21-2021 11:59 AM

(02-21-2021 11:11 AM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 10:56 AM)Avl1 Wrote:  Is there a re-play of the game anywhere ? 07-coffee3

If you didn’t record the game you might be out of luck. I don’t think Stadium does full game replays like ESPN.
I think I saw a link to replay on the odu writeup. But I was on phone so not 100% sure

RE: UAB weekend - bit_9 - 02-21-2021 12:46 PM

Disregard. It was a link to the live stream.

RE: UAB weekend - Gilesfan - 02-21-2021 03:36 PM

X was wonderful last night. As badly as hes played for much of the season, its perfectly fine to give him his praise from lat night.

RE: UAB weekend - ODU True Blue - 02-21-2021 05:29 PM

After all these years does anyone think jmu is going to go FBS? Not going to happen.

RE: UAB weekend - monarx - 02-21-2021 08:02 PM

(02-21-2021 05:29 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  After all these years does anyone think jmu is going to go FBS? Not going to happen.

I think they’ll go to whatever level ODU and Charlotte are at when the next realignment happens if there is a spot. If the P5 take their ball and run, I figure JMU will move to the next level (former G5) at that time.

RE: UAB weekend - ODU True Blue - 02-21-2021 09:05 PM

(02-21-2021 08:02 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 05:29 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  After all these years does anyone think jmu is going to go FBS? Not going to happen.

I think they’ll go to whatever level ODU and Charlotte are at when the next realignment happens if there is a spot. If the P5 take their ball and run, I figure JMU will move to the next level (former G5) at that time.

So where will the money for the women sports they’d have to add come from? Currently jmu has a 59% female to 41% male split. They’d have to add 37 more women’s scholarships to offset the increase from FCS to FBS. So more women’s sports more coaching salaries. Unless they also cut more men’s sports. I don’t think they’ll move up.

Also go to their boards, many of those idiots still think an AAC invite is coming.

RE: UAB weekend - 757ODU - 02-22-2021 08:15 AM

Love it X! I've been brutal on Jones since the start of conference play, but I have to give the guy credit...He has this group playing well at the right time. Friday night's game was a nice wake up call for them. I am excited to see how they finish the year. We have a great 8 man rotation going right now, and everyone is playing with a ton of confidence. I would not want to play against this team in the conference tournament.

RE: UAB weekend - monarx - 02-22-2021 10:33 AM

(02-21-2021 09:05 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 08:02 PM)monarx Wrote:  

So where will the money for the women sports they’d have to add come from? Currently jmu has a 59% female to 41% male split. They’d have to add 37 more women’s scholarships to offset the increase from FCS to FBS. So more women’s sports more coaching salaries. Unless they also cut more men’s sports. I don’t think they’ll move up.

Also go to their boards, many of those idiots still think an AAC invite is coming.

If Cox gets elected he'll probably just fund it out of state money and give them an exception. :) Im Joking!

RE: UAB weekend - Monarchblue - 02-22-2021 10:37 AM

The team is maybe running the best offense that I have seen under JJ. This is the first time I have seen a team really move the ball well. Typically the ball gets stuck after each pass while a player thinks, looks, hesitates, then throws a pass to the next guy who does the same. In the UAB series it was notable that the ball whipped around the court. The result was good rhythm shots, better shooting percentages, and maybe a few more turnovers, which wasn't a terrible trade off for the better overall offense. I know at least one specific small ball lover will disagree, but I think the change centers on the fact that Kalu has become the focal point of the offense, and that has taken the pressure off of perimeter players to try to find a shot everytime they touch the ball and has opened up good rhythm shots from the perimeter. This team is actually sets up quite well to play through the post with Kalu's ability to make shots down there, and Reece and Trice's ability to cause havoc on the offensive glass.

RE: UAB weekend - monarx - 02-22-2021 10:58 AM

(02-22-2021 10:37 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  The team is maybe running the best offense that I have seen under JJ. This is the first time I have seen a team really move the ball well. Typically the ball gets stuck after each pass while a player thinks, looks, hesitates, then throws a pass to the next guy who does the same. In the UAB series it was notable that the ball whipped around the court. The result was good rhythm shots, better shooting percentages, and maybe a few more turnovers, which wasn't a terrible trade off for the better overall offense. I know at least one specific small ball lover will disagree, but I think the change centers on the fact that Kalu has become the focal point of the offense, and that has taken the pressure off of perimeter players to try to find a shot everytime they touch the ball and has opened up good rhythm shots from the perimeter. This team is actually sets up quite well to play through the post with Kalu's ability to make shots down there, and Reece and Trice's ability to cause havoc on the offensive glass.

I thought we played pretty well against UAB, but am not quite as optimistic as some of you. UAB has a pretty bad offense too. Offensively, we still struggled with scoring droughts, made too many bad passes (especially in the first game) and for whatever reason we seemed to struggle with UABs trapping and press. I do agree that the ball movement and offensive play calling has been better (but we have to finish). And the inside threat with Kalu and Trice is nice, the driving from Curry is good too. When those guys get some help from Oliver, Reese, X and Hunter (who are all streaky), thats when the team really starts to look good. On the defensive end, our guys have been good, just a bit foul prone. When Kalu stays out of early foul trouble, good things happen for the Monarchs.

RE: UAB weekend - Monarchblue - 02-22-2021 11:33 AM

(02-22-2021 10:58 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(02-22-2021 10:37 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  The team is maybe running the best offense that I have seen under JJ. This is the first time I have seen a team really move the ball well. Typically the ball gets stuck after each pass while a player thinks, looks, hesitates, then throws a pass to the next guy who does the same. In the UAB series it was notable that the ball whipped around the court. The result was good rhythm shots, better shooting percentages, and maybe a few more turnovers, which wasn't a terrible trade off for the better overall offense. I know at least one specific small ball lover will disagree, but I think the change centers on the fact that Kalu has become the focal point of the offense, and that has taken the pressure off of perimeter players to try to find a shot everytime they touch the ball and has opened up good rhythm shots from the perimeter. This team is actually sets up quite well to play through the post with Kalu's ability to make shots down there, and Reece and Trice's ability to cause havoc on the offensive glass.

I thought we played pretty well against UAB, but am not quite as optimistic as some of you. UAB has a pretty bad offense too. Offensively, we still struggled with scoring droughts, made too many bad passes (especially in the first game) and for whatever reason we seemed to struggle with UABs trapping and press. I do agree that the ball movement and offensive play calling has been better (but we have to finish). And the inside threat with Kalu and Trice is nice, the driving from Curry is good too. When those guys get some help from Oliver, Reese, X and Hunter (who are all streaky), thats when the team really starts to look good. On the defensive end, our guys have been good, just a bit foul prone. When Kalu stays out of early foul trouble, good things happen for the Monarchs.

To be clear, I am not super optimistic about this team winning the conference. I think there are at least 3 teams that are better than us in the conference. I think you are right about UAB being a pretty good matchup for us because of their offensive ineptitude. While I like what I see in offensive execution, I am not as optimistic as some about talent. I think this team is limited, but is getting closer to maximizing its talent at the offensive end than we typically see with a JJ team. I think they could upset someone in the CUSA tournament, but I don't think they can beat multiple good teams en route to a championship.

RE: UAB weekend - DaBigBlue - 02-22-2021 11:50 AM

UAB offense is pretty bad, but their defense is very good. I think this CUSAT is wide open and anyone can take a upper team out...well most anyone.

RE: UAB weekend - CalODUFan - 02-22-2021 12:46 PM

(02-22-2021 11:50 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  UAB offense is pretty bad, but their defense is very good. I think this CUSAT is wide open and anyone can take a upper team out...well most anyone.

It was weird playing a team that was more ODU than ODU. That UAB team looked like a Blaine Taylor ODU team.

RE: UAB weekend - ODU BBALL - 02-22-2021 01:08 PM

(02-22-2021 12:46 PM)CalODUFan Wrote:  
(02-22-2021 11:50 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  UAB offense is pretty bad, but their defense is very good. I think this CUSAT is wide open and anyone can take a upper team out...well most anyone.

It was weird playing a team that was more ODU than ODU. That UAB team looked like a Blaine Taylor ODU team.

They looked like a mediocre Blaine Taylor ODU team at best. Blaine's teams started with a strong inside game. UAB has a big guy in the middle, but he isn't comparable to Laughton, Lee, or Hassell.

RE: UAB weekend - Gilesfan - 02-22-2021 01:27 PM

There is nothing wrong with having a big that can score in the post as long as its not the primary "offense." Im a Georgetown guy too and there offense as improved since they don't just throw into Wahab every possession( as an example).

And not having someone clogging the paint beside him really helps Ezikpe.

RE: UAB weekend - Gilesfan - 02-22-2021 01:28 PM

(02-22-2021 10:58 AM)monarx Wrote:  

Our defense has not been good. Our defense has been the worst its been in years. The offense is playing better, if the D can play like it historically does, we will be fine. but, the defense has been a major disappointment.

RE: UAB weekend - Gilesfan - 02-22-2021 01:32 PM

How CUSA stacks up:

Marshall/North Texas/WKY

LT/UAB/ODU/UTEP

UTSA/Rice/FAU

Southern Miss/MTSU/FIU

We seem to be playing the best we have all season at the moment. We really only have 1 bad lose (FIU away). Splitting against Marshall and UAB is decent. I think we should compete well in the tourney, can't say that I expect us to win.

RE: UAB weekend - ODU BBALL - 02-22-2021 01:39 PM

(02-22-2021 01:27 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

There is nothing wrong with having a big that can score in the post as long as its not the primary "offense." Im a Georgetown guy too and there offense as improved since they don't just throw into Wahab every possession( as an example).

And not having someone clogging the paint beside him really helps Ezikpe.

Why are you so constantly against post game offense? It's like you have a personal vendetta against it. It makes no sense. And stop with the false talking points of "clogging the paint". Kalu and Trice both are frequently at the foul line and beyond in ODU's half court sets for much of the shot clock setting screens (so others CAN drive to the basket), making passes, etc. Take points from wherever the team can get them, and with ODU's history of poor outside shooting under coach Jones, that usually means close in baskets by our bigs - on the rebound follow shots or on post moves. In case you forgot, ODU's shorthanded win at home against Marshall recently would not have been possible without their strong post game offense. Till they went to that nearly every time down the court, they trailed - by as much as 21 in the second half. It is primarily what got them the win.