CSNbbs
Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS (/thread-916812.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - maximus - 02-17-2021 11:30 AM

(02-17-2021 11:26 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(02-17-2021 11:22 AM)maximus Wrote:  
(02-17-2021 10:23 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  Green energy works in states that don't go on the cheap and fail to winterize their stuff.
Texas didn't want to be on the same power grid as everyone else in the country, and their system failed under pressure because of their cost-cutting. Period.
You don't see what's happening in TX nearly to the same extent in Louisiana, MS, and other southern states that aren't built for these heavy winter storms.
"Green energy" is nothing but a small supplement and is not sustainable

You see how they make and dispose of solar panels? You see how they dispose of wind turbines?

It is a small supplement now for sure - but again, you fail to winterize ANY energy source and you're going to have problems when winter weather arrives & stays for multiple days. That fault lies with TX being lazy and/or cheap, not green energy.

Big picture, green energy would be sustainable and able to be more widespread if the same amount of effort were put toward it as is currently being used to try to retain the use of fossil fuel.

Its not sustainable and will never be reliable on a large scale

Ever

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - tigergreen - 02-17-2021 11:32 AM

(02-17-2021 11:27 AM)shere khan Wrote:  
(02-17-2021 10:23 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  Green energy works in states that don't go on the cheap and fail to winterize their stuff.
Texas didn't want to be on the same power grid as everyone else in the country, and their system failed under pressure because of their cost-cutting. Period.
You don't see what's happening in TX nearly to the same extent in Louisiana, MS, and other southern states that aren't built for these heavy winter storms.

You gotta link for that bullshite you just spewed. Texas has electricity problems because they didn't spend enough on green energy

:03-lmfao

If Alaska can have wind energy, I think it's pretty obvious it works in cold environments.

TX has problems with ALL their energy sources, green and otherwise because they A - didn't want to participate in nationwide power grids, and B - they cheaped out, taking a chance on a total collapse of their system if they got winter weather.

This isn't a "renewable energy failed!" situation like the OP would like to think...it's a "Texas wanted to do their own thing, failed to plan for winter weather adequately, and is now seeing the results of that decision" situation.

Again, other southern states that are experiencing this once in a few decades level of winter weather aren't having the same problems.

TX always prides itself on doing its own thing, but this was clearly a failure.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - shere khan - 02-17-2021 11:33 AM

You see how they make and dispose of solar panels? You see how they dispose of wind turbines?

It is a small supplement now for sure - but again, you fail to winterize ANY energy source and you're going to have problems when winter weather arrives & stays for multiple days. That fault lies with TX being lazy and/or cheap, not green energy.

Big picture, green energy would be sustainable and able to be more widespread if the same amount of effort were put toward it as is currently being used to try to retain the use of fossil fuel.

Please enlighten us further with your vast knowledge of energy distribution and production. I really wanna hear this having some experience on this topic.

Please, I need a good laugh and it will be give some of my colleagues great entertainment.

Please expound on this in moderate detail.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - shere khan - 02-17-2021 11:35 AM

(02-17-2021 11:32 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  

You gotta link for that bullshite you just spewed. Texas has electricity problems because they didn't spend enough on green energy

If Alaska can have wind energy, I think it's pretty obvious it works in cold environments.

TX has problems with ALL their energy sources, green and otherwise because they A - didn't want to participate in nationwide power grids, and B - they cheaped out, taking a chance on a total collapse of their system if they got winter weather.

This isn't a "renewable energy failed!" situation like the OP would like to think...it's a "Texas wanted to do their own thing, failed to plan for winter weather adequately, and is now seeing the results of that decision" situation.

Again, other southern states that are experiencing this once in a few decades level of winter weather aren't having the same problems.

Why do you hate freezing Latinos.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - maximus - 02-17-2021 11:37 AM

The fuq would anyone prepare for a twice in a generation cold snap? Especially with the...you know..global warming.

So your home have triple insulated walls and wired in 10k generator ?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - tigergreen - 02-17-2021 11:38 AM

(02-17-2021 11:33 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

Please enlighten us further with your vast knowledge of energy distribution and production. I really wanna hear this having some experience on this topic.

Please, I need a good laugh and it will be give us some of my colleagues great entertainment.

It takes no expansion on the topic - in any field, if you use more time & resources to work on one particular thing, you will have quicker success than if you ignore it. This isn't complicated.
Covid vaccines were created thanks to putting the effort into developing them, not ignoring it & hoping it all just "goes away like magic."

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - No2rdame - 02-17-2021 11:42 AM

So, if Texas didn't invest enough in "green energy" and that's their problem, what is California's excuse when they have problems out the @ss every year? Just curious, I'll let the resident power grid expert chime in.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - shere khan - 02-17-2021 11:42 AM

(02-17-2021 11:38 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  

Please, I need a good laugh and it will be give us some of my colleagues great entertainment.

It takes no expansion on the topic - in any field, if you use more time & resources to work on one particular thing, you will have quicker success than if you ignore it. This isn't complicated.
Covid vaccines were created thanks to putting the effort into developing them, not ignoring it & hoping it all just "goes away like magic."

So you have literally no understanding of the topic other than what you've been told to believe.

Got it.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - tigergreen - 02-17-2021 11:44 AM

(02-17-2021 11:37 AM)maximus Wrote:  

The fuq would anyone prepare for a twice in a generation cold snap? Especially with the...you know..global warming.

So your home have triple insulated walls and wired in 10k generator ?

No; but I'm running my faucets and doing what I know to work during winter weather. TX apparently didn't do their minimum of cold weather prep. They don't need to spend the $$ on Alaska-level preparation of course.

TX & their energy companies were supposed to do some things to winterize their systems and they chose to ignore it.

This situation isn't a twice in a generation problem - just 10 years ago the same problems surfaced:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/investigations/blackouts-in-texas-lack-of-winterization-of-generators/285-2e13537b-b2fb-476f-8c33-5ecce3be0fc8

They gambled and lost.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - tigergreen - 02-17-2021 11:45 AM

(02-17-2021 11:42 AM)shere khan Wrote:  
(02-17-2021 11:22 AM)maximus Wrote:  "Green energy" is nothing but a small supplement and is not sustainable

So you have literally no understanding of the topic other than what you've been told to believe.

Got it.

Yeah, it's totally hard to understand that when you put more resources into something, you get quicker results than if you didn't. 01-wingedeagle

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - shere khan - 02-17-2021 11:48 AM

(02-17-2021 11:45 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(02-17-2021 11:26 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  It is a small supplement now for sure - but again, you fail to winterize ANY energy source and you're going to have problems when winter weather arrives & stays for multiple days. That fault lies with TX being lazy and/or cheap, not green energy.

Got it.

Yeah, it's totally hard to understand that when you put more resources into something, you get quicker results than if you didn't. 01-wingedeagle

That is also a false assumption but a very democrat notion.

bless your heart.

i like you, ill respond no further.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - tigergreen - 02-17-2021 11:53 AM

(02-17-2021 11:48 AM)shere khan Wrote:  
(02-17-2021 11:45 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(02-17-2021 11:33 AM)shere khan Wrote:  Please enlighten us further with your vast knowledge of energy distribution and production. I really wanna hear this having some experience on this topic.

Got it.

That is also a false assumption but a very democrat notion.

bless your heart.

i like you, ill respond no further.

Thank God for small favors. 03-wink
You're making progress only a month into Biden's presidency. 03-lmfao

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - U_of_Elvis - 02-17-2021 12:04 PM

Infrastructure is "Plan for the worst with a safety factor of X, hope for the best". ERCOT and the generation partners planned for modern day Mike Tyson, they got 1989 Mike Tyson.

Wind is used in freaking Canada and Wyoming without freezing. TX just didn't plan for this by buying cold weather kits on their turbines.

The same way that the rest of the grid (gas/coal/nuke) and all had capacity drop offline. They use gas/coal/nuke power all over the world in all climate conditions, TX just didn't prepare for the conditions they got.

10 years ago TX had 1/3 of the wind capacity on their grid. Had the same problem. In 1989 they had zero wind capacity on the grid, had the same problem. This isn't a wind problem, it's a problem with determining what the cost benefit tradeoff is to weatherize the grid, generation, and gas supply for "normal" vs "once a decade".

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - BobcatEngineer - 02-17-2021 12:10 PM

(02-17-2021 10:07 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Dan Crenshaw lays it out nicely...

[Image: r3xgWaW.jpg]

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - BartlettTigerFan - 02-17-2021 12:44 PM

All these people know is what CNN tells them. They're way too stupid to talk to.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - CrimsonPhantom - 02-17-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:As millions of Texans suffer through an unprecedented winter storm that has caused widespread power outages and has claimed the lives of at least 21 people, actress Bette Midler is using their hardship to score political points, seeming to argue that the storm is “payback” from God against Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn.

Bette Midler tweeted her divine retribution theory late Tuesday, describing the Republican senators from Texas as “hateful,” “vicious,” and “cruel.” She implied that God is punishing the politicians for voicing objections to the Electoral College certification in January.

While Sen. Cruz registered his challenge to Biden’s certification, Midler incorrectly cited Sen. Cornyn, who declined to join fellow Republican lawmakers in their Electoral College objections.

“I feel for the people suffering thru this weather, but #God doesn’t seem to like #TedCruz or #JohnCornyn. These two also never recognized that #Joe won,” she wrote. “If this isn’t payback, I don’t know what is.”

Midler also blamed the winter storm on climate change, saying that Al Gore warned of such possibilities three decades ago.

Link

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - BartlettTigerFan - 02-17-2021 12:48 PM

My gosh these people are stupid.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - umbluegray - 02-17-2021 12:48 PM

(02-17-2021 10:10 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  But...Mississippi and Arkansas are doing rolling blackouts and MLGW in Memphis is warning folks about potential water supply issues.

Are they run on green power?

I can't speak for MS or AR, but MLGW is running on ancient infrastructure.

But even with that, we're doing pretty good -- surprisingly.

MLGW Outage Map

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - BartlettTigerFan - 02-17-2021 12:50 PM

We keep about 50 gallons of clean water at all times. Idiotic to depend on a power company for ones survival.

RE: Widespread Power Outages in Texas as Renewable Energy FAILS - UofMstateU - 02-17-2021 12:54 PM

Wind energy has an almost "never" return on investment as it is. Add in costs of winterization, and you'll never recoup the price. If you are barely breaking even "on the cheap", you are getting bent over once you spend a penny more.