CSNbbs
Woodie, you could have at least tried. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Woodie, you could have at least tried. (/thread-916810.html)

Woodie, you could have at least tried. - bluelight - 02-15-2021 10:45 AM

Yes, ODU was the only conference team to cancel football but, it seems erroneous that you have not tried to cancel the women basketball, early in the season. The women have a losing record and have played 4 games in OT. One game they only had four players playing in OT, like four against five. I would have thought you would have at least tried early on to cancel their season, since they having been playing with 7 player's most of the year. Even a call to the commissioner, would resolve this issue. W&M women cancelled their remaining season. I know fans like the ladies monarchs, but playing under those conditions, doesn't make the AD look good, in having these women struggle. Wood, you cancelled football.

RE: Woodie, you could have at least tried. - ODUODUODU - 02-15-2021 10:50 AM

Thanks for not posting in all caps...

Woodie, you could have at least tried. - Monarchblue - 02-15-2021 10:52 AM

I Imagine the ladies could cancel the season if they wanted to. They probably want to stick it out.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

RE: Woodie, you could have at least tried. - Nukesquad - 02-15-2021 12:21 PM

(02-15-2021 10:52 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I Imagine the ladies could cancel the season if they wanted to. They probably want to stick it out.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Correct. Each student-athlete and coach has the right to opt-out if they do not feel safe. The fact that they are still playing states that the coaching staff and student-athletes want to continue with their season. In regards to football, you will not find a single coach who has stated (publicly or privately) they thought opting out was a bad idea. You can take that as you will, and I know nobody is going to change their opinions. I just find interesting of people's differing perspectives sport to sport.

Again, I use the example of I don't hear anyone complaining about Duke WBB opting out while MBB continues on. Why were the conditions so much more "unsafe" on the WBB side vs. the MBB side? Why are we so opposed of our WBB wanting to continue to play their season, but it's unacceptable that FB wanted to opt-out?

RE: Woodie, you could have at least tried. - DaBigBlue - 02-15-2021 03:22 PM

WBB teams usually have more players (15 schoolies), travel more often on commercial flights, also women might be a little more risk adverse. Might be some of the reasons more WBB teams are opting out

RE: Woodie, you could have at least tried. - Justanodufan - 02-15-2021 04:09 PM

(02-15-2021 03:22 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  WBB teams usually have more players (15 schoolies), travel more often on commercial flights, also women might be a little more risk adverse. Might be some of the reasons more WBB teams are opting out

P5 women’s teams (like Duke) are not flying commercial.

RE: Woodie, you could have at least tried. - DaBigBlue - 02-15-2021 07:18 PM

(02-15-2021 04:09 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(02-15-2021 03:22 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  WBB teams usually have more players (15 schoolies), travel more often on commercial flights, also women might be a little more risk adverse. Might be some of the reasons more WBB teams are opting out

No but many schools are, like WM and ODU.

RE: Woodie, you could have at least tried. - Justanodufan - 02-15-2021 11:21 PM

(02-15-2021 07:18 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  

Outside of the Ivy League only 2 men’s programs have opted out. And outside of Duke, I don’t know of any women’s teams that have opted out

RE: Woodie, you could have at least tried. - Cyniclone - 02-16-2021 12:00 AM

(02-15-2021 11:21 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

Outside of the Ivy League only 2 men’s programs have opted out. And outside of Duke, I don’t know of any women’s teams that have opted out

There's been five non-Ivy men's programs to tap out on the season, with Maine and Howard shutting down last season to join Maryland-Eastern Shore, Chicago State and Bethune-Cookman. There's been 16 non-Ivy women's teams to opt out, most notably Virginia, Vanderbilt, SMU and the aforementioned Duke. Unless I'm misunderstanding the statement?

RE: Woodie, you could have at least tried. - Justanodufan - 02-16-2021 11:02 AM

(02-16-2021 12:00 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(02-15-2021 11:21 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

There's been five non-Ivy men's programs to tap out on the season, with Maine and Howard shutting down last season to join Maryland-Eastern Shore, Chicago State and Bethune-Cookman. There's been 16 non-Ivy women's teams to opt out, most notably Virginia, Vanderbilt, SMU and the aforementioned Duke. Unless I'm misunderstanding the statement?

You don’t understand what I said when I stated “outside of Duke I don’t know if any women’s teams that have opted out?”

Pretty sure I literally said Duke is the only school that I know that opted out.

However, the 4 schools you mentioned are all schools that charter.

RE: Woodie, you could have at least tried. - MonarchManiac - 02-16-2021 03:22 PM

Some of these posts are out of hand. Some of you lot need to take a break.