CSNbbs
Gus Malzahn to UCF - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Gus Malzahn to UCF (/thread-916807.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - ultraviolet - 02-16-2021 10:45 AM

(02-16-2021 10:29 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  It could end up being a great hire and I hope it is.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that UCF was only able to get Gus Bus because he was just fired from an SEC school.

Getting fired at an SEC school isn't exactly an anomaly. UT, Auburn, USC East, Ole Miss Miss State, Arkansas, Missouri, and Vanderbilt have all changed coaches the past 2 seasons. UT apparently changes coaches more often that some of you change underwear. Florida, A&M, and LSU haven't had their coaches all that long.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - usffan - 02-16-2021 10:56 AM

(02-16-2021 10:45 AM)ultraviolet Wrote:  
(02-16-2021 10:29 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  It could end up being a great hire and I hope it is.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that UCF was only able to get Gus Bus because he was just fired from an SEC school.

Getting fired at an SEC school isn't exactly an anomaly. UT, Auburn, USC East, Ole Miss Miss State, Arkansas, Missouri, and Vanderbilt have all changed coaches the past 2 seasons. UT apparently changes coaches more often that some of you change underwear. Florida, A&M, and LSU haven't had their coaches all that long.

Not college, but Bill Belichick was fired by the Cleveland Browns. Pete Carroll was fired by both the Jets and the Patriots. Getting fired for being in a bad situation doesn't necessarily mean you can't be a great coach elsewhere. And let's face it, Auburn's fired the coach who won them a natty and the one who took them to the title game. Who do we think is likely to last longer in their current job, Harsin or Heupel?

USFFan

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - CitrusUCF - 02-16-2021 11:05 AM

Like what is that supposed to even mean? You think hiring a coach who Texas Tech was about to fire was some sort of coup?

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - BearcatJerry - 02-16-2021 11:11 AM

(02-16-2021 10:36 AM)ultraviolet Wrote:  
(02-15-2021 07:04 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(02-15-2021 05:11 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-15-2021 04:45 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(02-15-2021 03:47 PM)mlb Wrote:  So did Tuberville.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Tubbs tread was gone by the time he got to Cincy.

We experienced the same thing with Charlie Strong. It's a common hazard of being a G5 school.

And we're going through the same thing at Houston with CDH. These type of retread hires don't have a good track record. That said kudos to UCF for landing Gus for under 2.5 million. We're paying almost twice as much to watch Dana drive our program off the ledge.

Drunk Dana has lived a charmed life until Houston where the mask has been ripped off to reveal how ugly he really is. Houston ought to be doing some clandestine shopping were it up to me.

I remember when Louisville got Kragthorped and the fans were trying to...convey...their unhappiness with the coach.

Someone literally scaled his backyard wall and took a dump in his swimming pool.

Not saying that you should do that, but the message was received.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - The Knight Time - 02-16-2021 11:16 AM

UCF's hire is ranked as an "A+" and the best hire of the offseason:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/grades-for-every-hire-in-the-2021-college-football-coaching-carousel-gus-malzahn-to-ucf-gets-an-a/

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - Foreverandever - 02-16-2021 11:34 AM

(02-16-2021 10:24 AM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  
(02-15-2021 09:04 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(02-15-2021 06:56 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  Two Outbacks (possibly best bowl outside the NY6) and three NY6 bowls bowl team every year averaged 8+ wins a season in a division with LSU and Alabama running at historic highes and Georgia being pretty damn good every single year of that time. Yeah that screams terrible to me.

This reminds me a lot of how FSU wanted a new guy so Jimbo went to AnM. Sometimes fan bases are irrational. This is not Strong failing to beat up on people while being the biggest kid on the block or Tubberville trying to finish up his retirement fund anywhere other than west Texas. This is a guy who fought it out at the top level with a lot of success just not enough for his fan base.

I think he will excel at UCF where the pressure and support will be high but not absurd. Cincinnati isn't Alabama and Memphis isn't Georgia.

Well, I certainly didn't say it was a terrible hire. I don't know how much you followed Auburn football but I can't tell you something my own eyes didn't see. Again, I hope I'm wrong and he turns out great for UCF and for our league.

Auburn fans I know were not happy with him and his offensive scheme. It never changed according to them. And they felt the SEC had figured him out for the most part. And Malzahn refused to do something different. That was their take on him.

So after they forced him to have someone else call the plays it seemed like it wasn't the same? Almost like hiring a coach and then deciding who is on his staff and what his staff actually does, is really just some boosters calling plays. I wonder why it seemed so bad?

I get the worries about a snake bite hire here (although Heupel appeared to be that guy), but some programs criticism should be taken with a shaker of salt.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - Tiger1983 - 02-16-2021 11:46 AM

(02-16-2021 11:16 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  UCF's hire is ranked as an "A+" and the best hire of the offseason:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/grades-for-every-hire-in-the-2021-college-football-coaching-carousel-gus-malzahn-to-ucf-gets-an-a/

“Malzahn goes from trying to beat Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida and Georgia to taking on … Memphis and Cincinnati. You've got to like his chances.” The genius writer with his patronizing insulting tone forgets Malzahn takes on Memphis and Cincy at UCF and not at bountifully resourced Auburn.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - BearcatMan - 02-16-2021 11:47 AM

Hope you guys didn't get Strong-ed, Tubbed, Kragthorped, etc. and he is able to maintain your general success.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - DownOnRohs - 02-16-2021 12:13 PM

(02-16-2021 11:05 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  

Like what is that supposed to even mean? You think hiring a coach who Texas Tech was about to fire was some sort of coup?

Where was I comparing UCF to UC?

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - Foreverandever - 02-16-2021 12:19 PM

(02-16-2021 11:47 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Hope you guys didn't get Strong-ed, Tubbed, Kragthorped, etc. and he is able to maintain your general success.

I like how Petrino leaving a mess for Kragthorpe to clean up and kick players off the team who should never have been in the school in the first place gets blamed on the guy the AD hired specifically to do that.

Please ignore his utter success before and after that job in everything he did, he clearly sucks because he had to be a sumpt pump for that cess pool. Just always cracked me up.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - RobUCF - 02-16-2021 12:25 PM

(02-16-2021 12:13 PM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  

What is your point - that an AAC team under the current system can't afford to hire away a current coach of an SEC team? Umm, I think that's pretty obvious to everyone here.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - usffan - 02-16-2021 12:41 PM

(02-16-2021 11:16 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  UCF's hire is ranked as an "A+" and the best hire of the offseason:

I have no idea whether Malzahn will prove to be a great hire. But I always chuckle at these coaching grades, especially when viewed in the rear view mirror. For laughs, here's a look at the 2016 coaching hire grades from the Orlando Sentinel:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-college-coach-hire-grades-snap-20161212-story.html

His A grades were to Jeff Brohm at Purdue, PJ Fleck at Minnesota and Charlie Strong at USF. At best he went 1/3 on those grades.

His B grades included Major Applewhite at Houston, Luke Fickell at Cincinnati, Tom Herman at Texas, Ed Orgeron at LSU and Lane Kiffin at FAU. In hindsight, Fickell's clearly an A, Orgeron won a natty and both Applewhite and Herman were fired.

He gave Baylor a B- for Matt Ruhle. Dude turned their program around from the trainwreck he adopted from Briles. He gave Indiana a C for Tom Allen and San Jose State a C for Brent Brennan. Both have been absolute home run hires.

And, perhaps my absolute favorite, was everybody lining up to give FSU A grades for hiring Willie Taggart: https://chopchat.com/2017/12/17/fsu-football-willie-taggart-hire-rated-among-best-website/

Winning the early coaching hire grades or even the initial press conference is not an indication of how things will work out.

USFFan

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - St. H. Gink - 02-16-2021 12:55 PM

Charlie Strong
2014 Texas: Losing Season
2015 Texas: Losing Season
2016 Texas: Losing Season

Steve Kragthorpe
2007 Louisville: .500 Season
2008 Louisville: Losing Season
2009 Louisville: Losing Season

Tommy Tuberville
2010 Texas Tech: Winning Season
2011 Texas Tech: Losing Season
2012 Texas Tech: Winning Season

Gus Malzahn
2012 Ark St: Winning Season
2013 Auburn: Winning Season
2014 Auburn: Winning Season
2015 Auburn: Winning Season
2016 Auburn: Winning Season
2017 Auburn: Winning Season
2018 Auburn: Winning Season
2019 Auburn: Winning Season
2020 Auburn: Winning Season

Yes, they're all identical.

07-coffee3

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - CitrusUCF - 02-16-2021 01:02 PM

Krag was at Tulsa before Louisville, not after.

Holgorsen is the one that makes you wonder whether he was just lucky at WVU or is just mailing it in now.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - msm96wolf - 02-16-2021 01:20 PM

I think he will do well at UCF. The resources and commitments are there. He will be able to pull recruits for target rich states that may be considered SEC 2nd tier that would be first tier for most P5 Colleges.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - knightastic - 02-16-2021 01:22 PM

I think Heup was graded a C which to me was accurate

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - DownOnRohs - 02-16-2021 01:27 PM

(02-16-2021 12:25 PM)RobUCF Wrote:  

What is your point - that an AAC team under the current system can't afford to hire away a current coach of an SEC team? Umm, I think that's pretty obvious to everyone here.

My point was it's sobering that a guy who just got fired is considered an "A+" hire for one of the league's two flagship programs.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - shere khan - 02-16-2021 01:35 PM

Gus is gonna do really well. Yall are gonna beat hell out of everybody. Not having to play Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Tamu is going to make him look like a genius. He had run his course at Auburn and they are impatient. He will rejuvenate and rip through the AAC.

That's the trueth. The only coach in the conf that will compete with him is at Cincy.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - shere khan - 02-16-2021 01:42 PM

(02-16-2021 11:47 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Hope you guys didn't get Strong-ed, Tubbed, Kragthorped, etc. and he is able to maintain your general success.

Tubbs won both AAC and SEC championships. They better hope Gus matches Tubbs.

RE: Gus Malzahn to UCF - Jugnaut - 02-16-2021 01:45 PM

(02-16-2021 01:27 PM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  
(02-16-2021 12:25 PM)RobUCF Wrote:  

My point was it's sobering that a guy who just got fired is considered an "A+" hire for one of the league's two flagship programs.

I think it speaks more to the fit/advantages of each university. Auburn has a rough row to hoe. It's hard to win there for anyone. UCF is in a good position to win games. Add a talented coach and it'll likely be successful. Not all job opportunities put you in a position to win. UCF has a lot of advantages that other schools don't. I'd rather coach at UCF than Tennessee or Auburn (other than $$). It's super tough to get more than 8 wins at a middle of the pack SEC school.