CSNbbs
Odds that we see - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: OVCbbs (/forum-17.html)
+---- Forum: Ohio Valley Team Talk (/forum-784.html)
+----- Forum: Little Rock (/forum-291.html)
+----- Thread: Odds that we see (/thread-916272.html)

Pages: 1 2

Odds that we see - mjs - 02-06-2021 05:49 PM

Markquis in a Trojan uniform again. I don't think they are very high.

RE: Odds that we see - PTJR - 02-06-2021 06:30 PM

(02-06-2021 05:49 PM)mjs Wrote:  Markquis in a Trojan uniform again. I don't think they are very high.

Nowell has left the bench and is sitting in the stands. Sound familiar?

RE: Odds that we see - mjs - 02-06-2021 07:37 PM

For the life of me I couldn't think of his name and neither could my wife. I was about to ask you and then it came to me- Stevee Moore. It's hard to imagine that Markquis will be back on the team. Still, that is the coach's decision and if he and Markquis can work it out, it's fine with me. I'd like to know what's going on with Kris as well. With Maric in foul trouble, he could have made a big difference in this game. My limited contact with both of these young men has been positive. Certainly, the situation that reportedly led to Lottie's leaving did not sound positive toward our coach. But, it was only one side of the story. so I'm not jumping to conclusions. But, clearly there are issues between players and the coach on this team. The coach always wins these battles, but I have no clue who will win the "war".

RE: Odds that we see - UALR92 - 02-07-2021 01:27 PM

There is no excuse with the talent Walker could have had this year for us to not have 15 or 16 wins right now. Seeing players transferring like Lottie and Kamani and then our arguably best player from last year is on the outs with the coach virtually all season. He has done less with more than any coach since Jim Platt. In my opinion it's time to go. Walker has nothing else to prove in his mind I am sure. That's not the coach a program like this needs.

RE: Odds that we see - mjs - 02-07-2021 02:06 PM

(02-07-2021 01:27 PM)UALR92 Wrote:  There is no excuse with the talent Walker could have had this year for us to not have 15 or 16 wins right now. Seeing players transferring like Lottie and Kamani and then our arguably best player from last year is on the outs with the coach virtually all season. He has done less with more than any coach since Jim Platt. In my opinion it's time to go. Walker has nothing else to prove in his mind I am sure. That's not the coach a program like this needs.

When it's just one player, having conflicts with the coach, I'm probably going to take the coach's side. When it's multiple players there's more going on. I wouldn't want to be in our AD's shoes right now.

RE: Odds that we see - mjs - 02-07-2021 02:26 PM

(02-07-2021 01:27 PM)UALR92 Wrote:  There is no excuse with the talent Walker could have had this year for us to not have 15 or 16 wins right now. Seeing players transferring like Lottie and Kamani and then our arguably best player from last year is on the outs with the coach virtually all season. He has done less with more than any coach since Jim Platt. In my opinion it's time to go. Walker has nothing else to prove in his mind I am sure. That's not the coach a program like this needs.

I hate that, whether you are right or wrong. I hoped Walker would bring long term stability to the program considering his age and stated love for Little Rock. To me, that's the only way we can ever build a successful program. A "one-hit" wonder like Beard was nice, but what did it do for the long-term benefit of our program. Absolutely nothing. He left and we had two of our worst years ever.

It's likely a pipe dream to get a Coach Foley, on the men's side, but Walker seemed like a guy who could stay here (if successful) for a decade or more. Unless there are behind the scenes issues, like you suggest, Walker's record is not getting him fired this year. If there are, it could be an interesting off season.

RE: Odds that we see - TrojanTeen2 - 02-07-2021 03:40 PM

The other thing to note is what is George Lee going to do? This could be his first "big moment" of his time here. Personally, if Walker really does bad in this last half of the season and the players have no confidence in Walker, I say fire him. That is something I think Conque would've thought of doing if he were still here.

Also, it isn't even his relationship with the players right now for me, its his coaching style. He sometimes coaches like he's still an NBA coach (which I've already detailed the past couple weeks). Not to mention he didn't think Tracy McGrady deserved to be on a NBA team. That guy ended up being a 7 time all star! Yeah he can recruit but the guy who helped recruit those NYC kids is now gone too. So was it really Walker that made the team successful last year?

I just don't like the trend were going right now. I know we want to be like the next Gonzaga but if we want to do that, we need a coach that can get his team to buy in like Foley (not to mention Porter Moser now and Ron Hunter) does. If he can prove to be a winner and also commit to being there for his guys (not against), you'll get years of a consistently good team.

RE: Odds that we see - mjs - 02-07-2021 04:27 PM

(02-07-2021 03:40 PM)TrojanTeen2 Wrote:  The other thing to note is what is George Lee going to do? This could be his first "big moment" of his time here. Personally, if Walker really does bad in this last half of the season and the players have no confidence in Walker, I say fire him. That is something I think Conque would've thought of doing if he were still here.

Also, it isn't even his relationship with the players right now for me, its his coaching style. He sometimes coaches like he's still an NBA coach (which I've already detailed the past couple weeks). Not to mention he didn't think Tracy McGrady deserved to be on a NBA team. That guy ended up being a 7 time all star! Yeah he can recruit but the guy who helped recruit those NYC kids is now gone too. So was it really Walker that made the team successful last year?

I just don't like the trend were going right now. I know we want to be like the next Gonzaga but if we want to do that, we need a coach that can get his team to buy in like Foley (not to mention Porter Moser now and Ron Hunter) does. If he can prove to be a winner and also commit to being there for his guys (not against), you'll get years of a consistently good team.

Ron Hunter? His Tulane team is one half game out of last place in the AAC. Granted that job is a lot tougher than the LR job. Edit- lost today, so Tulane is tied for last place.

RE: Odds that we see - TrojanTeen2 - 02-07-2021 04:57 PM

(02-07-2021 04:27 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(02-07-2021 03:40 PM)TrojanTeen2 Wrote:  The other thing to note is what is George Lee going to do? This could be his first "big moment" of his time here. Personally, if Walker really does bad in this last half of the season and the players have no confidence in Walker, I say fire him. That is something I think Conque would've thought of doing if he were still here.

Ron Hunter? His Tulane team is one half game out of last place in the AAC. Granted that job is a lot tougher than the LR job. Edit- lost today, so Tulane is tied for last place.

Well he did win multiple sbc championships during his tenure (which is honestly what I want in 1 coaching tenure). Also note since he left, Georgia St. hasn’t won a championship yet (currently sitting in the same spot we are but with much more covid issues).

RE: Odds that we see - mjs - 02-07-2021 05:19 PM

(02-07-2021 04:57 PM)TrojanTeen2 Wrote:  
(02-07-2021 04:27 PM)mjs Wrote:  

Well he did win multiple sbc championships during his tenure (which is honestly what I want in 1 coaching tenure). Also note since he left, Georgia St. hasn’t won a championship yet (currently sitting in the same spot we are but with much more covid issues).

You're certainly correct that Hunter did a very good job at GaSt. I do have to question his judgment in taking the Tulane job. Probably he did it for the money and obviously he isn't the first coach to take a dead end job for that reason.

RE: Odds that we see - ez272 - 02-07-2021 11:00 PM

(02-07-2021 03:40 PM)TrojanTeen2 Wrote:  I just don't like the trend were going right now. I know we want to be like the next Gonzaga but if we want to do that, we need a coach that can get his team to buy in like Foley (not to mention Porter Moser now and Ron Hunter) does.

You mean buy in like the 2 top scorers who just left the team did?

RE: Odds that we see - mjs - 02-07-2021 11:10 PM

(02-07-2021 11:00 PM)ez272 Wrote:  
(02-07-2021 03:40 PM)TrojanTeen2 Wrote:  I just don't like the trend were going right now. I know we want to be like the next Gonzaga but if we want to do that, we need a coach that can get his team to buy in like Foley (not to mention Porter Moser now and Ron Hunter) does.

I would classify Coach Foley as a "my way or the highway" type guy. He is old school and certainly won't be the right coach for a lot of players. But, the one's that stick it out will come out better players and people, and will likely win quite a few college games. After 17 or so years here (and multiple championships), Joe gets the benefit of the doubt when star players leave. This is not the case for a coach who has been here for 2 and a half years.

RE: Odds that we see - mjs - 02-07-2021 11:58 PM

Back to my original question. My assumption would be that a player who leaves the bench, in the middle of a game, and later comes back and sits in the stands is no longer a member of the team. Maybe he can earn his spot back. For selfish reasons (i.e. he is as fun a player to watch as we have ever had) I hope he can. For purely selfish reasons I had hoped Coach Shields would have let Stevee Moore back on the team- since i believe we may have well gone to the NCAA tournament that year with him. Coaching is not an easy job. But, at the DI level coaches make good money to make these tough decisions.

RE: Odds that we see - ez272 - 02-08-2021 01:50 PM

Here is a tweet.

Erick Savills
@NL_Visuals
·
Feb 7
Markquis Nowell is about to upgrade (on the floor atleast) someone’s east coast basketball program backcourt very soon. @mid_madness
@low_madness
@CoachingChanges

RE: Odds that we see - TrojanT - 02-08-2021 03:26 PM

For some reason I just have the feeling in my gut that's he's out the door. I just keep anticipating seeing some sort of news that he's in the transfer portal or something. After what happened this weekend plus the suspension, etc., etc., I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nowell had enough.

RE: Odds that we see - ez272 - 02-08-2021 03:42 PM

(02-08-2021 03:26 PM)TrojanT Wrote:  For some reason I just have the feeling in my gut that's he's out the door. I just keep anticipating seeing some sort of news that he's in the transfer portal or something. After what happened this weekend plus the suspension, etc., etc., I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nowell had enough.

Or coach had enough.
It was obvious that Nowell and Lottie were not on the same page last year. When Lottie was playing PG and Nowell was open on the wing and calling for the ball Lottie would ignore Nowell. I have seen the same thing happen this year, too. Why won't his teammates give him the ball?

RE: Odds that we see - mjs - 02-08-2021 07:06 PM

(02-08-2021 03:26 PM)TrojanT Wrote:  For some reason I just have the feeling in my gut that's he's out the door. I just keep anticipating seeing some sort of news that he's in the transfer portal or something. After what happened this weekend plus the suspension, etc., etc., I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nowell had enough.

No gut feeling needed. The tweet which was just posted indicates that folks a long way from Little Rock are aware that Markquis is likely on his way out of town. I'm certainly not happy that our best player is likely history.

RE: Odds that we see - mjs - 02-08-2021 07:42 PM

(02-08-2021 01:50 PM)ez272 Wrote:  Here is a tweet.

Erick Savills
@NL_Visuals
·
Feb 7
Markquis Nowell is about to upgrade (on the floor atleast) someone’s east coast basketball program backcourt very soon. @mid_madness
@low_madness
@CoachingChanges

I can't find any information regarding who Erick Savills is. The fact that some random guy on Twitter knows about this indicates it's not a big secret.

RE: Odds that we see - ez272 - 02-09-2021 09:17 AM

(02-07-2021 11:10 PM)mjs Wrote:  

I would classify Coach Foley as a "my way or the highway" type guy. He is old school and certainly won't be the right coach for a lot of players. But, the one's that stick it out will come out better players and people, and will likely win quite a few college games. After 17 or so years here (and multiple championships), Joe gets the benefit of the doubt when star players leave. This is not the case for a coach who has been here for 2 and a half years.

So you are saying it is ok for foley to do what he does because of his record but it isn't ok for walker to do what foley does.

RE: Odds that we see - mjs - 02-09-2021 10:02 AM

(02-09-2021 09:17 AM)ez272 Wrote:  
(02-07-2021 11:10 PM)mjs Wrote:  

So you are saying it is ok for foley to do what he does because of his record but it isn't ok for walker to do what foley does.

I'm not saying anything is "ok" since I have no clue what happened, behind the scenes, in either program. No two situations of players leaving are the same. If all facts were available, which will never be the case, we might be able to make a judgment about who is at "fault". I believe it is well known that Joe Foley is a very tough, but fair, coach. Some girls can handle it, others can't. I think they know what he is like going in. I don't have a clue if his coaching style had a thing to do with why these girls left. There may have been personal reasons that had nothing to do with the coach. I'll stick with my statement that Coach Foley gets the benefit of the doubt, in this situation, because of what he has done for our program over almost 2 decades.

With regard to Coach Walker, I really don't know what his coaching "style" is or how he relates to players behind the scenes. There have been some on this board who have stated that it is already time for him to go because of his poor relations with players. I hate that we have lost some of our most talented and seemingly likeable players (i.e. Kamani, Jaizec, and Markquis) in the last year. But, I am not ready to fire our coach. However, the pattern is concerning and it is something our AD needs to keep an eye on.