CSNbbs
Serious Question - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Serious Question (/thread-915838.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Serious Question - herdfan129 - 01-30-2021 08:02 PM

Do you think the Sun Belt would accept Marshall or any other G5 level program as a "football only" if we decided to do that. Just curious if any of you think that would be a possibility.

RE: Serious Question - EigenEagle - 01-30-2021 08:11 PM

If we did that, we could strengthen football without throwing our nicely set up travel partnerships out of whack.

Not only would it be okay with me, it might actually be preferable than all-sports membership for Marshall (no offense to Marshall's other sports).

The question would be if CUSA would allow it.

RE: Serious Question - Bobcat2013 - 01-30-2021 08:14 PM

(01-30-2021 08:02 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  Do you think the Sun Belt would accept Marshall or any other G5 level program as a "football only" if we decided to do that. Just curious if any of you think that would be a possibility.

Your guess is as good as ours. I'd say probably not though. That might not set a good precedent. It would probably lead to conferences starting to pick and choose individual football programs they want which could go well for a few and bad for others. Might lead to a new college football entity. Who knows?

RE: Serious Question - SkullyMaroo - 01-30-2021 08:29 PM

(01-30-2021 08:11 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  If we did that, we could strengthen football without throwing our nicely set up travel partnerships out of whack.

Not only would it be okay with me, it might actually be preferable than all-sports membership for Marshall (no offense to Marshall's other sports).

In this hypothetical Marshall couldn’t be in CUSA for their Olympic sports with their FBS football in another league. They’d have to either put their Olympic sports in a league that does not sponsor FBS football and seek football only membership with an FBS league, or get a full invite for all sports.

RE: Serious Question - sdcritter - 01-30-2021 08:33 PM

No.

RE: Serious Question - herdfan129 - 01-30-2021 08:39 PM

(01-30-2021 08:29 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(01-30-2021 08:11 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  If we did that, we could strengthen football without throwing our nicely set up travel partnerships out of whack.

In this hypothetical Marshall couldn’t be in CUSA for their Olympic sports with their FBS football in another league. They’d have to either put their Olympic sports in a league that does not sponsor FBS football and seek football only membership with an FBS league, or get a full invite for all sports.

I just know Sun Belt already has 12 basketball members. Under this scenario Marshall could put our other sports in the OVC if need be, but would obviously prefer the A10 (long shot.)

I would personally be fine with going to the Sun Belt for all sports (for the record.) I was just curious if this was something the Sun Belt would do/accept.

RE: Serious Question - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-30-2021 08:42 PM

They would not. Neither the NCAA nor the CUSA bylaws will allow it (I’m 99% sure)

RE: Serious Question - herdfan129 - 01-30-2021 08:47 PM

(01-30-2021 08:42 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  

They would not. Neither the NCAA nor the CUSA bylaws will allow it (I’m 99% sure)

We wouldn't be staying in CUSA under this hypothetical scenario.

RE: Serious Question - Usajags - 01-30-2021 08:55 PM

I could actually see FBS football teams, all over, creating football only conferences, like the MVFC. Especially if there is a split of FBS football from the NCAA. That way, for schools like Alabama, they could be in a football conference without Vandy, but they would still be in the SEC for all other sports.

RE: Serious Question - EigenEagle - 01-30-2021 08:59 PM

Could've sworn UMass was hoping for football-only membership in the MAC but the MAC told them to take a hike.

RE: Serious Question - SkullyMaroo - 01-30-2021 09:16 PM

(01-30-2021 08:59 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

Could've sworn UMass was hoping for football-only membership in the MAC but the MAC told them to take a hike.

UMASS is not in a league that sponsors FBS football so football only membership in the MAC would be allowed. Marshall could NOT have their Olympic sports in CUSA and FBS football in a different conference. That goes against NCAA bylaws. If a FBS team is in a conference that sponsors FBS football then football MUST be a FBS member of that conference.

RE: Serious Question - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-30-2021 10:13 PM

(01-30-2021 09:16 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(01-30-2021 08:59 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

UMASS is not in a league that sponsors FBS football so football only membership in the MAC would be allowed. Marshall could NOT have their Olympic sports in CUSA and FBS football in a different conference. That goes against NCAA bylaws. If a FBS team is in a conference that sponsors FBS football then football MUST be a FBS member of that conference.

^This

RE: Serious Question - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-30-2021 10:14 PM

But I think Marshall would be seeking all sports and with our mbb it would boost Beltball also.

RE: Serious Question - Troy_Fan_15 - 01-30-2021 10:21 PM

It’s hard because Marshall brings good athletics and I think the Belt would want their basketball program to bring up our own level of competitiveness.

Can someone share any other FBS football teams that play Olympic sports elsewhere?

RE: Serious Question - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-30-2021 10:47 PM

I’m assuming you mean excluding independents, but:

Navy (AAC/Patriot)
Hawai’i (MWC/Big West)

Other than Independents, I don’t think there are any other than these two.

RE: Serious Question - Troy_Fan_15 - 01-30-2021 11:41 PM

(01-30-2021 10:47 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  I’m assuming you mean excluding independents, but:

Navy (AAC/Patriot)
Hawai’i (MWC/Big West)

Literally forgot about both of those for a moment. If Marshall got an A10 invite and was looking to rehouse football, maybe. As I stated, I like Marshall so full membership would be more preferable. The next question would be does the next member that comes be FB only as well? Who would that be? Do we try to add Southern Miss full and have 13 olympic sport members for basketball? Do we add USM and another olympic only member and go to a 12/14 split? There’s a lot of variables haha. I think if A10 doesn’t work Marshall should just bring everything.

RE: Serious Question - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-31-2021 12:31 AM

(01-30-2021 11:41 PM)Troy_Fan_15 Wrote:  
(01-30-2021 10:47 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  I’m assuming you mean excluding independents, but:

Navy (AAC/Patriot)
Hawai’i (MWC/Big West)

Literally forgot about both of those for a moment. If Marshall got an A10 invite and was looking to rehouse football, maybe. As I stated, I like Marshall so full membership would be more preferable. The next question would be does the next member that comes be FB only as well? Who would that be? Do we try to add Southern Miss full and have 13 olympic sport members for basketball? Do we add USM and another olympic only member and go to a 12/14 split? There’s a lot of variables haha. I think if A10 doesn’t work Marshall should just bring everything.

I don’t think we’d split everything up. It’s too convoluted. If I were the Belt and to get ahead of the madness and uncertainty that is sure to happen with the whack (sic) and asun, I’d throw feelers out to Marshall, UAB, and USM. I would wager that we’d all come as a package deal.

Marshall/App (vicious rivals from days of your and recently renewed)
Marshall/GaSo
UAB/Troy
UAB/USA
USM and everyone close to them.

The other bonus is academics. UAB and USM are R1 Carnegie institutions and Marshall is an R2. Not too shabby...

RE: Serious Question - chiefsfan - 01-31-2021 12:31 AM

We would not do FB Only again. There's no real incentive to do so, we only took two FB Only members after the original realignment out of necessity. There's no "necessity" to bring on Marshall, as the Herd aren't going to bring anything we don't already have on the football side.

The allure of Marshall is Geography and a built in rivalry with App plus solid All Sports programs.

RE: Serious Question - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-31-2021 12:39 AM

(01-31-2021 12:31 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  We would not do FB Only again. There's no real incentive to do so, we only took two FB Only members after the original realignment out of necessity. There's no "necessity" to bring on Marshall, as the Herd aren't going to bring anything we don't already have on the football side.

The allure of Marshall is Geography and a built in rivalry with App plus solid All Sports programs.

I get you. But I would bet that if the Belt goes after Marshall, UAB, and USM, the tv package increases per school despite the extra mouths. Do you need to? No..

I mean, it doesn’t matter to me. Would I prefer to blow the whole thing up and create a geographically friendly conference? Sure, and I said that in 2014, so I’m not the Johnny come lately CUSA doomsday prophesier.

Marshall is going to keep doing what we are doing. Now that Huff is here, you should see the buzz here. Season tix are already up and you won’t see the collapse that you saw last year. But I wish the best for you all either way.

RE: Serious Question - Troy_Fan_15 - 01-31-2021 01:04 AM

(01-31-2021 12:31 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  We would not do FB Only again. There's no real incentive to do so, we only took two FB Only members after the original realignment out of necessity. There's no "necessity" to bring on Marshall, as the Herd aren't going to bring anything we don't already have on the football side.

I think Sun Belt stock goes up. Again Marshall is regularly around a top 25 team. Nothing wrong with adding another one of those. Not saying it makes us a P6 but helps our chances at a NY6.