CSNbbs
The next AD... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: The next AD... (/thread-915786.html)

Pages: 1 2

The next AD... - Nick from Ohio - 01-29-2021 10:18 PM

We still have 15 months with MOB and I think Football, MBB, and WBB have an opportunity for great success this and next season. But, when looking at the next AD - what are some priorities that he/she should have?

IMO, I think they need to figure out what they are doing with the non-revenue sports. Are you moving baseball / softball over to main campus or not? If you are, bite the bullet and do it - those programs will not survive 4-5 more years at Scott Park trying to recruit against other MAC program. If you are not going to do it - invest in renovating the Health Ed Building and make it more all-athletics friendly. Soccer / Track / Tennis / and Swimming locker rooms, more the academic center out of Larimer, and create a space for another weight room and/or training tables. Something NOT tied to football but the football team would be allowed to access.

Priority #2 would be to get out of the MAC.

RE: The next AD... - eastisbest - 01-29-2021 10:30 PM

Priorities are usually about what they put in the vending machines but other than that, your choices seem important to me. As far as MAC, I'm more in the make it better camp. If not that I'd want one of those metro area member leagues. Not looking for rivalries with App St, ....

RE: The next AD... - DetroitRocket - 01-30-2021 07:26 AM

(01-29-2021 10:18 PM)Nick from Ohio Wrote:  We still have 15 months with MOB and I think Football, MBB, and WBB have an opportunity for great success this and next season. But, when looking at the next AD - what are some priorities that he/she should have?

IMO, I think they need to figure out what they are doing with the non-revenue sports. Are you moving baseball / softball over to main campus or not? If you are, bite the bullet and do it - those programs will not survive 4-5 more years at Scott Park trying to recruit against other MAC program. If you are not going to do it - invest in renovating the Health Ed Building and make it more all-athletics friendly. Soccer / Track / Tennis / and Swimming locker rooms, more the academic center out of Larimer, and create a space for another weight room and/or training tables. Something NOT tied to football but the football team would be allowed to access.

Priority #2 would be to get out of the MAC.

I don't think there will be money to do anything. I would predict that BB and SB stay at Scott Park with some minor renovations (less than 100K). Of course, if some donor wants to put up ALL of the money, that changes everything.

RE: The next AD... - Rocket_Fanatic - 01-30-2021 12:42 PM

Crazy idea. Hire Cullop as new AD. Then find a women’s basketball coach. Win win situation!

RE: The next AD... - inductchuck16 - 01-30-2021 12:57 PM

(01-29-2021 10:18 PM)Nick from Ohio Wrote:  Are you moving baseball / softball over to main campus or not? If you are, bite the bullet and do it - those programs will not survive 4-5 more years at Scott Park trying to recruit against other MAC program. If you are not going to do it - invest in renovating the Health Ed Building and make it more all-athletics friendly.

UT should just demolish the aging Health Ed Building and in its place build a multi-purpose 10-15 story skyscraper, similar in size to Parks Tower. Maybe you'd even have some room for a new parking garage attached to the building.

The next AD... - indianasniff - 01-30-2021 06:16 PM

Where are we moving the ROTC programs? Scott Park? There just isn’t much of a market for that Scott Park land unless you can dupe the Metroparks into buying it. No sense in transferring from one government entity to another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: The next AD... - eastisbest - 01-30-2021 06:57 PM

(01-30-2021 06:16 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Where are we moving the ROTC programs? Scott Park? There just isn’t much of a market for that Scott Park land unless you can dupe the Metroparks into buying it.

got a dollar?

03-banghead

RE: The next AD... - PaulJ - 02-01-2021 11:13 AM

UT will soon lease/sell Scott Park, likely baseball and softball would stay there. On campus fields will require fund raising or corporate sponsorship-likely among top of UT Athletics priority for UT Capital Campaign (when ever that gets started, was delayed due to COVID-19 crisis).

I don't envision any other major commitments via UT operating budget for new or renovated Athletic facilities, unless 100% funded via donations. Securing donor support for non-revenue sports will also be essential.

So I would say fund raising would be a top priority of new AD (deciding priorities, target $ and getting the donations), also likely will be looking at new WBB, FB, and MBB head coaches in next few years, given standard length of stay and turnover to occur.

The next AD... - indianasniff - 02-05-2021 05:18 PM

On a facilities front I think the baseball field should be behind Savage so it can be directly connected to Fetterman like the soccer and track facility is. I have posted before. It fits. I think there are potential cost savings in that you would not have to relocate a bunch of roads to do it.

New AD has a job. Need a guy ready for job

RE: The next AD... - eastisbest - 02-05-2021 05:27 PM

(02-05-2021 05:18 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  On a facilities front I think the baseball field should be behind Savage so it can be directly connected to Fetterman like the soccer and track facility is. I have posted before. It fits. I think there are potential cost savings in that you would not have to relocate a bunch of roads to do it.

Savage has a front? A back? I'd never thought about that. I don't see that empty spot though. Logistically that would be nice. Where exactly? There's parking lots areas 3-7 and 18 (where's 51?) and that steep hill. Granted, putting a baseball field on the hill would be unique but maybe not regulation.

RE: The next AD... - H2Oville Rocket - 02-05-2021 05:32 PM

(02-05-2021 05:18 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  On a facilities front I think the baseball field should be behind Savage so it can be directly connected to Fetterman like the soccer and track facility is. I have posted before. It fits. I think there are potential cost savings in that you would not have to relocate a bunch of roads to do it.

Not sure what lot is adjacent to the Grogan entrance but is that area what you mean? Seems small and on the off chance we ever had a power hitter cars on Westwood might be in danger if home plate was closest to Fetterman. I can’t picture a stadium there.

RE: The next AD... - rocket 51 - 02-06-2021 12:26 PM

Baseball is not worth the worry IMO. Wish we could find a program that would be similar in budget but the potential for something remotely close to a winning program. Baseball is the least accomplished of any of our programs in UT history I think (maybe field hockey). Don't change the footprint of anything near Savage for baseball.

RE: The next AD... - MidnightBlueGold - 02-06-2021 01:24 PM

UT should try and partner with St. Francis and build a nice baseball field on main campus, similar to CCHS and Lourdes has with Mercy Field. Mercy Field has events all the time through spring, summer, fall.

If UT could do something like that, they could make some money by renting the field out, and it could be a recruiting tool for potential future students (not just athletes) by getting them and their families on campus, even if just for baseball games.

RE: The next AD... - FMRocket - 02-06-2021 03:20 PM

(02-06-2021 01:24 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  UT should try and partner with St. Francis and build a nice baseball field on main campus, similar to CCHS and Lourdes has with Mercy Field. Mercy Field has events all the time through spring, summer, fall.

If UT could do something like that, they could make some money by renting the field out, and it could be a recruiting tool for potential future students (not just athletes) by getting them and their families on campus, even if just for baseball games.

This could be a feasible idea if Saint Francis gets on board. If a plan like this is implemented, the baseball complex would have to be a step up from Mercy Field. Mercy is nice with state of the art field/lighting but seating has to be upped to at least 800-1200 seats from their 300 capacity IMO...

RE: The next AD... - MotoRocket - 02-07-2021 08:40 AM

Maybe we can get all the students that are commuting to UT now and paying for tuition and books while working and attending classes to take out $50K loans. Then when those loans are cancelled, the students donate the unused funds back to UT to use for needed facilities. Taxpayers won't mind at all, and it doesn't seem like it would be hard to hide the paper trail - because no one would be looking for one. Talk about a win-win.

RE: The next AD... - DetroitRocket - 02-07-2021 09:20 AM

(02-06-2021 03:20 PM)FMRocket Wrote:  
(02-06-2021 01:24 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  UT should try and partner with St. Francis and build a nice baseball field on main campus, similar to CCHS and Lourdes has with Mercy Field. Mercy Field has events all the time through spring, summer, fall.

This could be a feasible idea if Saint Francis gets on board. If a plan like this is implemented, the baseball complex would have to be a step up from Mercy Field. Mercy is nice with state of the art field/lighting but seating has to be upped to at least 800-1200 seats from their 300 capacity IMO...

Nobody attended baseball games when the field was a two minute walk from a full Carter Hall. Why do people think baseball would draw people now? Leave softball and baseball where they are. Put maybe 100K into both fields including a press box for SB. The University doesn't have any money. However, there are those who made a ton of money during the pandemic. Ask them for a donation.

RE: The next AD... - MidnightBlueGold - 02-07-2021 10:09 AM

(02-07-2021 08:40 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Maybe we can get all the students that are commuting to UT now and paying for tuition and books while working and attending classes to take out $50K loans. Then when those loans are cancelled, the students donate the unused funds back to UT to use for needed facilities. Taxpayers won't mind at all, and it doesn't seem like it would be hard to hide the paper trail - because no one would be looking for one. Talk about a win-win.

Stop with your political crap.

RE: The next AD... - eastisbest - 02-07-2021 01:53 PM

(02-07-2021 10:09 AM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(02-07-2021 08:40 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Maybe we can get all the students that are commuting to UT now and paying for tuition and books while working and attending classes to take out $50K loans. Then when those loans are cancelled, the students donate the unused funds back to UT to use for needed facilities. Taxpayers won't mind at all, and it doesn't seem like it would be hard to hide the paper trail - because no one would be looking for one. Talk about a win-win.

Not a single word of politics in Moto's post. It's a fun (which is #1 reason you didn't get it) and devious twist. Every University in the country is right now conceiving ways to grab that money if it comes. They're creating unpaid debt whereever they can find it. Moto has a plan that spins it to the sports programs. This is a sports board, for a University. Moto's plan is probably WAY ahead of even that Columbus school.

Moto for UToledo President! Heck, Moto for THE President! MTGA.

RE: The next AD... - Rocket_Fanatic - 02-07-2021 02:08 PM

(02-07-2021 01:53 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Not a single word of politics in Moto's post. It's a fun (which is #1 reason you didn't get it) and devious twist. Every University in the country is right now conceiving ways to grab that money if it comes. They're creating unpaid debt whereever they can find it. Moto has a plan that spins it to the sports programs. This is a sports board, for a University. Moto's plan is probably WAY ahead of even that Columbus school.

I agree with Moto!!

RE: The next AD... - eastisbest - 02-07-2021 02:56 PM

(02-07-2021 02:26 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(02-07-2021 01:53 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Ok then. Moto for President!...if you want a president who will lie every day. Try to overthrow the university. Make his unqualified children deans of the colleges. And a president who likes to grab women by the p*ssy.

Sue him Moto!!! Take his daddy's $$$.