CSNbbs
ODU's perfect conference for you guys - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: ODU's perfect conference for you guys (/thread-915639.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - monarx - 03-01-2021 02:19 PM

(03-01-2021 12:50 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Going to double post but feel if you want that A10 bad enough, it has better than 50% odds of getting the invite. The A10 is proactive regarding conference realignment.

Here is the long double post.
(03-01-2021 12:16 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(03-01-2021 11:45 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  My take is conservative and would be shocked if the A10 puts a wrapper on football. They want no part of football. That said the A10 is proactive in conference realignment and did go to 15 teams before the Big East split. So there is presidency for the A10 going to 15 in case LaSalle flounders or the Big East does grab St. Louis or Dayton. ODU would be perfect footprint and brand wise and can see just ODU. The 49ers were in the A10 because they got booted out with St. Louis for not having football, so no real love there.

This is the year for ODU with no football revenue to do it and the question is will the A10 take them in on July 1st. The odds are at least 50% in my book.

Yea, I don't see any scenario where football is at all palatable to the A10, nevermind desirable enough to balloon membership the way that would be necessary. ...

UMass will/is strongly supportive for ODU admission into the A10. Sure some of you get calls regarding donations and several months ago ask about ODU. There was no hesitation. "That would be really good". Have to think most of the former CAA Virginia Universities would also be strongly supportive: Richmond, VCU, and George Mason. Most other universities would go along and very few would be opposed initially. (IMHO) A10 back to 15 teams.

ODU would be a great fit, and I agree with you that we'd likely be welcomed in by most of the teams. I wouldnt even be surprised if we were literally at the top of the list. Problem is, it seems the A10 doesnt want to expand, so someone has to leave to make a spot for us.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - Steve1981 - 03-01-2021 03:17 PM

U need to push your admin to make it happen. Don't be a jmu, talk talk talk your admin needs to be very active for things to happen. We went to 15 teams when Bultler was added. It can happen again but your admin needs to push hard with all back channels and then perhaps meaningful discussions during the final 4.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - webster - 03-01-2021 03:36 PM

(03-01-2021 03:17 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  U need to push your admin to make it happen. Don't be a jmu, talk talk talk your admin needs to be very active for things to happen. We went to 15 teams when Bultler was added. It can happen again but your admin needs to push hard with all back channels and then perhaps meaningful discussions during the final 4.

I'm not a wealthy donor. However, I have mailed letters to athletic director Selig, President Broderick, and President-Elect Hemphill.
I understand that I don't have any sway. But it felt good to at least share my thoughts with the admin.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - Steve1981 - 03-01-2021 04:38 PM

(03-01-2021 03:36 PM)webster Wrote:  
(03-01-2021 03:17 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  U need to push your admin to make it happen. Don't be a jmu, talk talk talk your admin needs to be very active for things to happen. We went to 15 teams when Bultler was added. It can happen again but your admin needs to push hard with all back channels and then perhaps meaningful discussions during the final 4.

I'm not a wealthy donor. However, I have mailed letters to athletic director Selig, President Broderick, and President-Elect Hemphill.
I understand that I don't have any sway. But it felt good to at least share my thoughts with the admin.

Very nice and hopefully more will do so. It's general better to have 100 smaller donors and fans in general writing then just one bigger donor. Sometimes our AD department or AD himself will reply back and they always say they like hearing our views.

ODU's perfect conference for you guys - EverRespect - 03-01-2021 09:43 PM

(03-01-2021 12:34 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  It isn't that bad, reminds me of the old Sunbelt. Which was a very good Mid-Majors BB conference. Home is what you make it. We can do much better in CUSA. I think we may see more interconference scheduling first.

Disagree. I haven’t been anywhere close to this disengaged since I became a fan in 04. I’m not the only one. I don’t even follow the games anymore... granted the fact I can’t go to any is also a factor... I just check the score later and don’t even read game threads. I want to compete in a conference school I care about and be in a multi bid local conference. I can’t imagine CUSA football is providing enough to cancel that out. I’d like to see the projections, assuming ETSU is being truthful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODU's perfect conference for you guys - EverRespect - 03-01-2021 09:45 PM

(03-01-2021 02:19 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(03-01-2021 12:50 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Going to double post but feel if you want that A10 bad enough, it has better than 50% odds of getting the invite. The A10 is proactive regarding conference realignment.

Here is the long double post.
(03-01-2021 12:16 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(03-01-2021 11:45 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  My take is conservative and would be shocked if the A10 puts a wrapper on football. They want no part of football. That said the A10 is proactive in conference realignment and did go to 15 teams before the Big East split. So there is presidency for the A10 going to 15 in case LaSalle flounders or the Big East does grab St. Louis or Dayton. ODU would be perfect footprint and brand wise and can see just ODU. The 49ers were in the A10 because they got booted out with St. Louis for not having football, so no real love there.

This is the year for ODU with no football revenue to do it and the question is will the A10 take them in on July 1st. The odds are at least 50% in my book.

Yea, I don't see any scenario where football is at all palatable to the A10, nevermind desirable enough to balloon membership the way that would be necessary. ...

UMass will/is strongly supportive for ODU admission into the A10. Sure some of you get calls regarding donations and several months ago ask about ODU. There was no hesitation. "That would be really good". Have to think most of the former CAA Virginia Universities would also be strongly supportive: Richmond, VCU, and George Mason. Most other universities would go along and very few would be opposed initially. (IMHO) A10 back to 15 teams.

ODU would be a great fit, and I agree with you that we'd likely be welcomed in by most of the teams. I wouldnt even be surprised if we were literally at the top of the list. Problem is, it seems the A10 doesnt want to expand, so someone has to leave to make a spot for us.

We are in if we want to. This is Wood’s chance to finally show leadership.

ODU's perfect conference for you guys - EverRespect - 03-01-2021 09:46 PM

^^^Steve gets it

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - Chillie Willie - 03-02-2021 10:57 AM

(03-01-2021 09:43 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(03-01-2021 12:34 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  It isn't that bad, reminds me of the old Sunbelt. Which was a very good Mid-Majors BB conference. Home is what you make it. We can do much better in CUSA. I think we may see more interconference scheduling first.

Disagree. I haven’t been anywhere close to this disengaged since I became a fan in 04. I’m not the only one. I don’t even follow the games anymore... granted the fact I can’t go to any is also a factor... I just check the score later and don’t even read game threads. I want to compete in a conference school I care about and be in a multi bid local conference. I can’t imagine CUSA football is providing enough to cancel that out. I’d like to see the projections, assuming ETSU is being truthful.

I certainly would like to be in a better place, but I just can’t understand this level of disengagement. Talking about the game is what brought me to this board. If there were no game threads, I’m not sure how long I would stay around. When there are no games, that is when I become less engaged. I suppose everyone has their own interests, I just find it hard to believe that if you don’t watch, listen, or talk about the games that you are still interested in the program.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - webster - 03-02-2021 12:25 PM

(03-02-2021 10:57 AM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  

I certainly would like to be in a better place, but I just can’t understand this level of disengagement. Talking about the game is what brought me to this board. If there were no game threads, I’m not sure how long I would stay around. When there are no games, that is when I become less engaged. I suppose everyone has their own interests, I just find it hard to believe that if you don’t watch, listen, or talk about the games that you are still interested in the program.

Sorry to jump in and I certainly don't speak for Ever. However, I think I feel similar to him.
Over the years that we've been in Conference USA, I've definitely had a steady decline in interest and excitement. This is nothing against our conference mates.
I will root like heck for whoever makes the dance this year if not us.
But there is no true rivals. Going to an away game is basically impossible due to distance. There's no excitement anymore.
I can easily recall going to the Ted to watch us face George Mason. I was so jacked and hyped up on the way in. I think I was that way for any of conference opponents. Nowadays, I'm sitting there before the game and have to remember who the heck we are even facing. I'll look up before the game and yawn when I see who it is. I just don't care about the opponent. Not because I don't care about supporting ODU.
I still care about the program and try to follow recent scores. But that's the issue. When we were in a regional league(CAA), every conference game seemed to matter more. I'd sit around my radio like it was the early 1900's if our games weren't on TV. That excitement is gone, but it can return if we move to the A10 or join a new regional league.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - EverRespect - 03-02-2021 12:36 PM

I think it is part not being able to attend, part long-term mediocrity taking its toll, and part being indifferent to our conference opponents while not measuring up to our OOC "rivals". I don't really get excited about grinding out close wins or falling short against FAU or Marshall nor do I go out of my way to watch us get blown out by VCU or Richmond... and even if we do happen to get through the conference tournament, we'll just get a 14-16 seed and get blown out in the first round of the NCAAs. I may engage a little closer when I can actually take my kids to the games again, but right now I just want to advocate getting back to a time when there was something to get excited about. We just aren't competitive at an acceptable level. Not sure if Jones, Selig, the conference, or the nerd counting beans in the AD is the root of the problem, but the current state is a bunch of BS.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - Cyniclone - 03-02-2021 03:24 PM

Winning is a paint that covers a multitude of sins. If ODU had multiple NCAA and NIT bids while in CUSA, we’d be a lot more tolerant of our far-flung opponents and more likely to embrace fledgling rivalries with nearby or similarly successful programs. If we were losing to the likes of Fordham and GW in the A-10, interest outside of the VCU and Richmond games would fall accordingly.

The A-10 is objectively better than CUSA right now and probably will be unless the former falls off a cliff or the latter finally lives up to its potential. But if you think switching leagues will result in a boost in enthusiasm, well, let’s see how long that lasts if they’re finishing in the middle of the pack and missing the postseason.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - mturn017 - 03-02-2021 03:36 PM

(03-02-2021 03:24 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Winning is a paint that covers a multitude of sins. If ODU had multiple NCAA and NIT bids while in CUSA, we’d be a lot more tolerant of our far-flung opponents and more likely to embrace fledgling rivalries with nearby or similarly successful programs. If we were losing to the likes of Fordham and GW in the A-10, interest outside of the VCU and Richmond games would fall accordingly.

The A-10 is objectively better than CUSA right now and probably will be unless the former falls off a cliff or the latter finally lives up to its potential. But if you think switching leagues will result in a boost in enthusiasm, well, let’s see how long that lasts if they’re finishing in the middle of the pack and missing the postseason.

I agree but also think that in MBB yes it would definitely result in a boost in enthusiasm. A few million saved in travel expenses being able to be poured back into coaching would probably go a long way towards being more successful as well.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - webster - 03-02-2021 03:42 PM

(03-02-2021 03:24 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Winning is a paint that covers a multitude of sins. If ODU had multiple NCAA and NIT bids while in CUSA, we’d be a lot more tolerant of our far-flung opponents and more likely to embrace fledgling rivalries with nearby or similarly successful programs. If we were losing to the likes of Fordham and GW in the A-10, interest outside of the VCU and Richmond games would fall accordingly.

Since I've followed ODU basketball, we have been competitive whether while in the CAA or now C-USA. Not every year. But most years we're around at least 20 wins and with a realistic chance to win the conference. I don't envision us going to the A10 and suddenly sucking. As it stands now, the regular season in C-USA is meaningless. It all comes down to who shows up for a 3 day stretch in Frisco. At least the A10 seems to get multiple bids more than we've seen C-USA get since I've followed the conference.
Having conference games vs VCU, GMU, Richmond, Dayton, Davidson, Rhode Island, the Bonnies, etc is way more exciting than games vs our Conference USA mates. I'd take that in a heartbeat even in potential bad years where we are middle of the pack. But again, I don't think we would have an issue competing.
Winning does solve many issues. It would be even better in a better conference.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - EverRespect - 03-02-2021 03:58 PM

Don't you think it affects the recruiting? Who wants to spend half their college experience on a bus and never be on TV? We might get lucky and hit the jackpot with a diamond in the rough every now and then, but that IS the potential for us here, in my opinion. There is no way to build anything sustainable. Quality of life as a player here just sucks.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - Chillie Willie - 03-02-2021 04:00 PM

(03-02-2021 12:36 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

I think it is part not being able to attend, part long-term mediocrity taking its toll, and part being indifferent to our conference opponents while not measuring up to our OOC "rivals". I don't really get excited about grinding out close wins or falling short against FAU or Marshall nor do I go out of my way to watch us get blown out by VCU or Richmond... and even if we do happen to get through the conference tournament, we'll just get a 14-16 seed and get blown out in the first round of the NCAAs. I may engage a little closer when I can actually take my kids to the games again, but right now I just want to advocate getting back to a time when there was something to get excited about. We just aren't competitive at an acceptable level. Not sure if Jones, Selig, the conference, or the nerd counting beans in the AD is the root of the problem, but the current state is a bunch of BS.

I hear you on all of those points. I have noticed some decrease in enthusiasm for the program over the years. I was at the brown dump every year for the CAA tournament. I wouldn’t think of missing it. I went to many driveable away games and most of the W&M games in Williamsburg. Not so much anymore. But I am still a basketball fan. You say you don’t want to watch ODU grind out close wins. I sometimes check the NCAA scoreboard to see which games are close down the stretch and flip around to those games. Usually doesn’t matter who the opponent is. I am disappointed if I have to miss an ODU game and I wouldn’t think of missing a VCU game. I yell if I am at the game, and I yell if I am watching on TV (to the embarrassment of my family). I am not at the same level I was ten years ago, but I still care deeply about ODU basketball and football no matter who or where we play. I want to get back to that next level though.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - monarx - 03-02-2021 04:34 PM

(03-02-2021 04:00 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  

I hear you on all of those points. I have noticed some decrease in enthusiasm for the program over the years. I was at the brown dump every year for the CAA tournament. I wouldn’t think of missing it. I went to many driveable away games and most of the W&M games in Williamsburg. Not so much anymore. But I am still a basketball fan. You say you don’t want to watch ODU grind out close wins. I sometimes check the NCAA scoreboard to see which games are close down the stretch and flip around to those games. Usually doesn’t matter who the opponent is. I am disappointed if I have to miss an ODU game and I wouldn’t think of missing a VCU game. I yell if I am at the game, and I yell if I am watching on TV (to the embarrassment of my family). I am not at the same level I was ten years ago, but I still care deeply about ODU basketball and football no matter who or where we play. I want to get back to that next level though.

I haven't been to a single CUSA tournament or away game yet. I literally only missed one game the Monarchs played in the CAA tournament for 15 years straight. I remember going up against VCU and Richmond and expecting to win. Thinking they should be scared of us. Now, I hope we hold our own, don't get blown out and have a chance to steal one at the end. There was a time, not long ago, when it seemed we had at least 2 or 3 games on an ESPN channel every year, and around half our games were on some type of cable tv. I looked forward to the games, even the away games, weeks in advance. The coaches call in shows were not to be missed, and neither were the Monarch segments on the local news. Now, I can barely keep up with who we play and when. Theres nothing on TV. No coaches show. No excitement. Its truly a wonder we have the fanbase we have to lead CUSA in attendance most seasons. There are places worse than CUSA, but I do feel like the conference is killing ODU athletics, rather than growing it.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - Cyniclone - 03-02-2021 04:46 PM

(03-02-2021 03:36 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  I agree but also think that in MBB yes it would definitely result in a boost in enthusiasm. A few million saved in travel expenses being able to be poured back into coaching would probably go a long way towards being more successful as well.

I think for sure the A-10 is a better place for ODU basketball than CUSA, even if CUSA's better programs started firing on all cylinders at the same time. My thoughts are more for those who think that CUSA can never be viable and/or that the A-10 would be an immediate fix for most if not all of our problems.

(03-02-2021 03:42 PM)webster Wrote:  Since I've followed ODU basketball, we have been competitive whether while in the CAA or now C-USA. Not every year. But most years we're around at least 20 wins and with a realistic chance to win the conference. I don't envision us going to the A10 and suddenly sucking. As it stands now, the regular season in C-USA is meaningless. It all comes down to who shows up for a 3 day stretch in Frisco. At least the A10 seems to get multiple bids more than we've seen C-USA get since I've followed the conference.
Having conference games vs VCU, GMU, Richmond, Dayton, Davidson, Rhode Island, the Bonnies, etc is way more exciting than games vs our Conference USA mates. I'd take that in a heartbeat even in potential bad years where we are middle of the pack. But again, I don't think we would have an issue competing.
Winning does solve many issues. It would be even better in a better conference.

I don't disagree that being a top four team in the A-10 is better than being a top four team in CUSA, or top two vs. top two or whatever. But coaching and recruiting would have to take a marked step up with a move just to come close to getting an equivalent. I know people here don't like the Mason comparison but it's probably more apt than VCU right now. Mason joined the A-10, probably had the same expectations of the program improving by being in a better conference, but they've been irrelevant pretty much their entire time there. They've gone from a 3-2 split-level ranch in a working-class neighborhood to a basement apartment in the nice part of town.

I would also take issue with the idea that nobody cares if everything is geared toward the conference tournament. If ODU is the clear No. 1 team in CUSA, I think people are excited to watch them play whoever it is they're playing because they're on a roll. The problem is that ODU has only been the top team once; otherwise, they've usually been in the top reaches but lose enough to damper enthusiasm.

And as far as in-conference opponents: This probably puts me on an island, but I think VCU and Richmond are the only consistently important opponents in the A-10 — at least insofar as ODU goes. Everything else hinges on who's good that season. St. Bonaventure and Davidson would be sexy opponents this year, but if they hit the skids (which Bona probably will because that's what they do), do we care? Dayton last season is a holy-crap big deal, Dayton this year is *shrugs*. Obviously with the A-10 there's going to usually be at least one name opponent that emerges because it *is* a quality conference, but I don't think we're going to see any enduring rivalries other than the two we already have.

(03-02-2021 03:58 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Don't you think it affects the recruiting? Who wants to spend half their college experience on a bus and never be on TV? We might get lucky and hit the jackpot with a diamond in the rough every now and then, but that IS the potential for us here, in my opinion. There is no way to build anything sustainable. Quality of life as a player here just sucks.

It doesn't hurt, but at the same time, you have to increase your recruiting game to take advantage of it. A top-four class in CUSA won't automatically translate into a top-four class in the A-10 just because that's where you are now. Again, Mason. Probably figured their recruiting would be improved, and maybe it has, but in the deeper pool of the A-10, it's been unremarkable.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - monarx - 03-02-2021 11:02 PM

I think ODUs recruiting would definitely take a step up in the A10 (especially if it came with a new coach). And I think the comparison to VCU is closer for ODU than GMU. ODU has historically owned GMU, and has a much more committed fan base, history and commitment to the sport than the Patriots. Before VCUs F4 run, our two programs were virtually identical. What has changed since the CAA days of the recent past? VCU went on a F4 run, and switched conferences. Im of the mindset if ODU were to get in the A10 it wouldnt be long before we were in the top 4 fairly consistently and going close to .500 against the Rams again. Lastly, VCU, UR, GMU and GW are all natural rivals for ODU. Especially the first three. With the intrigue of a conference race attached to those games, I think its safe to say we'd be back to having multiple sell outs every year.

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - Monarchblue - 03-02-2021 11:42 PM

(03-02-2021 04:34 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(03-02-2021 04:00 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(03-01-2021 09:43 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Disagree. I haven’t been anywhere close to this disengaged since I became a fan in 04. I’m not the only one. I don’t even follow the games anymore... granted the fact I can’t go to any is also a factor... I just check the score later and don’t even read game threads. I want to compete in a conference school I care about and be in a multi bid local conference. I can’t imagine CUSA football is providing enough to cancel that out. I’d like to see the projections, assuming ETSU is being truthful.

I haven't been to a single CUSA tournament or away game yet. I literally only missed one game the Monarchs played in the CAA tournament for 15 years straight. I remember going up against VCU and Richmond and expecting to win. Thinking they should be scared of us. Now, I hope we hold our own, don't get blown out and have a chance to steal one at the end. There was a time, not long ago, when it seemed we had at least 2 or 3 games on an ESPN channel every year, and around half our games were on some type of cable tv. I looked forward to the games, even the away games, weeks in advance. The coaches call in shows were not to be missed, and neither were the Monarch segments on the local news. Now, I can barely keep up with who we play and when. Theres nothing on TV. No coaches show. No excitement. Its truly a wonder we have the fanbase we have to lead CUSA in attendance most seasons. There are places worse than CUSA, but I do feel like the conference is killing ODU athletics, rather than growing it.
This is a perfect description of me as well.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

RE: ODU's perfect conference for you guys - JSchmack - 03-03-2021 03:36 AM

Ok, want to mention a few things after the last page:

1. I joined to post because ODU is an intriguing/attractive program for the A-10. So let's make sure you understand that from the jump.

2. Steve1981 said we went to 15 teams.... we went to 16 teams because WE KNEW we were losing teams (Xavier, Temple, possibly more) and the teams we added were Butler, who made 2 Final Fours in the Horizon in 2010 and 2011 and VCU who made the Final Four in 2011...

and when we lost Temple, Xavier, Butler and Charlotte, we added George Mason (2006 Final Four) and Davidson (2008 Elite Eight).

My point is that I feel that ODU is a consistent program, a good program, and one who could be competitive in the A-10 and a good addition for us; But have you made a Sweet 16 ever? La Salle made one in 2013, and people want to kick them the F out! They won a national championship and lost the NCG 60 years ago. So turning the discussion from "Why would we expand" to "okay, who do we add with ODU" is going to take a step forward by the Monarchs. Again, I came here because I recognize the value of the ODU program! No disrespect intended. I understand that the BCS Carter runs things and screws over programs like my Bonnies and that's why C-USA gets one bid when they have 4+ quality programs. I'm just saying you're going to have to turn heads.

3. Thanks for saying the Bonnies are a sexy program, but as for the drop off... we're the most consistent program in the A-10. We don't have the bids that others do, like Saint Louis or Saint Joe's, who bounce between 24-7 and 13-18, while the Bonnies are just 18+ wins 8 years in a row. ME PERSONALLY, I recognized that the 18+ 8 years in a row is better for the league, and that's why I took note of ODU, but I'm also the rare guy among CBB fans. I'm the guy who laughed when everyone said the A-10 was a one-bid league after losing Temple, Xavier, Butler and Charlotte. I said we'd stay at 2 to 4 bids every year, the Big East wouldn't get 7-8 bids and the ACC wouldn't get 11. And everyone said I was wrong but they didn't know how CONFERENCES WORK in the math of SOS/RPI/NET/bids. You don't need sexy Final Four team that sucked half the last 20 years. ODU's consistency is what is the most attractive thing about you, slightly ahead of the market.

4. Screw Charlotte, if your admin is smart, they'd pitch the A-10 on the consistency and markets of ODU and Belmont.

5. C-USA is killing ODU, and Marshall, and WKU, and MTSU and UAB and La Tech. Since there's no path to a CFP cartel conference, or even the American for FBS, you are much better off doing a 7/7 split and forming your own league with Charlotte, Liberty, Buffalo and (tell them all or nothing, settle for football only) UMass. The "Risk" of being an unofficial FBS conference without 8 core members is NOTHING compared to the benefits for MBB and FB of ditching FAU, FIU, Rice, So Miss, UTSA, North Texas. and UTEP. There's just too many not good enough programs. You can only go with 14 when the 14th member brings this year is capable of winning the league 8 years from now. In the A-10 that is not true, in C-USA it is not true.