CSNbbs
WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League (/thread-914293.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-21-2021 08:56 PM

These clowns are delusional about fbs. I’m sure they’ll be able to make it with their crappy (overall) and high schoolesque facilities and teeny budgets.

SHSU: $19,210,115
SFA: $19, 046,746
Lamar: $18,643,064
S. Utah: $15,412,859

This will be a complete travesty and I highly doubt that the NCAA is going to lend any weight to these schools moving up as a conference let alone a share of the CFP money.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - chrisattsu - 01-21-2021 09:49 PM

(01-21-2021 08:56 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  These clowns are delusional about fbs. I’m sure they’ll be able to make it with their crappy (overall) and high schoolesque facilities and teeny budgets.

SHSU: $19,210,115
SFA: $19, 046,746
Lamar: $18,643,064
S. Utah: $15,412,859

This will be a complete travesty and I highly doubt that the NCAA is going to lend any weight to these schools moving up as a conference let alone a share of the CFP money.
They are currently operating on FCS level budgets because they play FCS.

Go look at the Knight report data for the recent FBS move ups... App State, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, UTSA, Texas State.

Right before their moves to FBS their budgets were in the same ballpark as the numbers listed in your post.

Since then these programs have increased budgets closer to 40m

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fbs

Give these schools a similar time table and I bet the budgets increase.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - Wedge - 01-21-2021 10:44 PM

(01-21-2021 07:45 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  The NCAA will simply remove this language below, by suggestion from G5 but anonymously, if it looks like it could happen

or a conference that previously met the definition of a Football Bowl Subdivision conference

presto problem solved

FCS programs won't be permitted to transition to FBS without going through the transition period and meeting the requirements that Liberty is meeting. But if they do that, the NCAA won't stop them. There is little if any reason for current FBS programs to object to a few more move-ups.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-21-2021 11:42 PM

(01-21-2021 10:44 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(01-21-2021 07:45 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  The NCAA will simply remove this language below, by suggestion from G5 but anonymously, if it looks like it could happen

or a conference that previously met the definition of a Football Bowl Subdivision conference

presto problem solved

FCS programs won't be permitted to transition to FBS without going through the transition period and meeting the requirements that Liberty is meeting. But if they do that, the NCAA won't stop them. There is little if any reason for current FBS programs to object to a few more move-ups.

BS. This ridiculous conference isn’t going to get cfp money nor are they going to get bowls. Not until a renegotiation of the GOR of the current g5. I don’t care what they do. They are going to move up and get pummeled by the PAC and MWC. And will probably play multiple fcs teams in the regular season. Lamar? Are you fkn kidding? Among others? Keep dreaming.

They aren’t tripling their budget. App and the others you listed went TO AN EXISTING CONFERENCE because they were invited. The ncaa isn’t going to dilute their product. These schools can’t afford the extra scholarships, the COA, and the budget increase. It isn’t there.

Congratulations for having a lot of fan (sic) in your stands.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - Wedge - 01-22-2021 12:13 AM

(01-21-2021 11:42 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  

presto problem solved

BS. This ridiculous conference isn’t going to get cfp money nor are they going to get bowls. Not until a renegotiation of the GOR of the current g5. I don’t care what they do. They are going to move up and get pummeled by the PAC and MWC. And will probably play multiple fcs teams in the regular season. Lamar? Are you fkn kidding? Among others? Keep dreaming.

They aren’t tripling their budget. App and the others you listed went TO AN EXISTING CONFERENCE because they were invited. The ncaa isn’t going to dilute their product. These schools can’t afford the extra scholarships, the COA, and the budget increase. It isn’t there.

Liberty didn't go to an existing conference. They moved up as an independent team playing the required number of current FBS members in each year of their transition. The NCAA won't stop any of these WAC newbies from doing the same thing if they ever choose to, and if the WAC someday has 7 teams that do so, then at the end of those transition periods those 7 plus NMSU would make up the minimum number of 8 full FBS-playing members required to be an FBS conference.

Whether the WAC will ever have 8 full members who can conjure up enough money and support to transition to FBS is a different question. I think it's very unlikely that ever happens, but what I said above is that if they ever do move up in the way that Liberty did, the NCAA won't stop them.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - Todor - 01-22-2021 02:02 AM

(01-22-2021 12:13 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

presto problem solved

Liberty didn't go to an existing conference. They moved up as an independent team playing the required number of current FBS members in each year of their transition. The NCAA won't stop any of these WAC newbies from doing the same thing if they ever choose to, and if the WAC someday has 7 teams that do so, then at the end of those transition periods those 7 plus NMSU would make up the minimum number of 8 full FBS-playing members required to be an FBS conference.

Whether the WAC will ever have 8 full members who can conjure up enough money and support to transition to FBS is a different question. I think it's very unlikely that ever happens, but what I said above is that if they ever do move up in the way that Liberty did, the NCAA won't stop them.

The plan is to use the WAC to help their FBS move up period and then move on. The east Texas schools have it planned (they think). Most likely it won't work out like they think, but they can't afford WAC travel so may end up in some sort of reformatted Southland soon.

But as members will come up in the West, the need for schools 1000 miles to the east won't be there and they'll end up back where they started. None of them have any realistic plan on how to pay for FBS so they're just spinning their wheels anyway.

Louisiana Tech tried it. A couple of other Texas schools have been in the WAC for a year or two as well. But if they don't get their way on everything, they usually end up stomping off in huff. It was a mistake to take these 3 but fortunately we aren't counting on them for numbers and it gives the WAC time to get some other schools online and for the 3 to drift off to wherever they are headed.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - 46566 - 01-22-2021 02:13 AM

(01-22-2021 02:02 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 12:13 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

presto problem solved

The plan is to use the WAC to help their FBS move up period and then move on. The east Texas schools have it planned (they think). Most likely it won't work out like they think, but they can't afford WAC travel so may end up in some sort of reformatted Southland soon.

But as members will come up in the West, the need for schools 1000 miles to the east won't be there and they'll end up back where they started. None of them have any realistic plan on how to pay for FBS so they're just spinning their wheels anyway.

I think we may know within 5 years. The CFP contract runs through the 2026 season doesn't it? I would think we would here more rumbling about the WAC and FBS around that time so they could potentially get counted in the new CFP contract. I think both the P5 and ESPN/other sports channels might be for it. It could give channels a better chance at some sort of content. The P5 conferences may like it that it potentially lowers the price of buy games. It even gives ESPN a excuse to create a few more bowl games for the new conference.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - DavidSt - 01-22-2021 02:19 AM

presto problem solved

I don't think Sam Houston State will lose big time since they were the top FCS football schools. UCA will not lose either bigly.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - Todor - 01-22-2021 02:20 AM

That's exactly right. My estimate has been 4 years they'll be in the WAC, but they may be stuck for an extra year after announcing their next move.

Fact: If you are a thousand miles east of the Rockies and you're in the WAC, either nobody else wants anything to do with you, or you're plotting your next move.

Western Texas may be some kind of limbo land exception, but I'm not certain.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-22-2021 08:47 AM

Not gonna happen. The NCAA isn’t going to dilute their product with weak schools that draw less than 15k. Period. There aren’t enough tv slots and not enough money. Get your heads out of the clouds with all of your all’s ridiculous realignment scenarios.

You’re comparing these weak small budget schools with Liberty? That is hilarious.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - DavidSt - 01-22-2021 10:15 AM

(01-22-2021 08:47 AM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  Not gonna happen. The NCAA isn’t going to dilute their product with weak schools that draw less than 15k. Period. There aren’t enough tv slots and not enough money. Get your heads out of the clouds with all of your all’s ridiculous realignment scenarios.

You’re comparing these weak small budget schools with Liberty? That is hilarious.

Then boot the MAC, La.-Monroe, Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte, Texas State, South Alabama, Liberty and others out of FBS. They don't belong in FBS either. Boot Duke, Wake Forest, Rutgers, Kansas, Oregon State and Washington State out of FBS since they do not belong in FBS either.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - Bobcat2013 - 01-22-2021 10:44 AM

(01-22-2021 10:15 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 08:47 AM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  Not gonna happen. The NCAA isn’t going to dilute their product with weak schools that draw less than 15k. Period. There aren’t enough tv slots and not enough money. Get your heads out of the clouds with all of your all’s ridiculous realignment scenarios.

Then boot the MAC, La.-Monroe, Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte, Texas State, South Alabama, Liberty and others out of FBS. They don't belong in FBS either. Boot Duke, Wake Forest, Rutgers, Kansas, Oregon State and Washington State out of FBS since they do not belong in FBS either.

Why? Besides ULM all of those schools budgets are fine. All of these schools are capable of hitting the attendance mark with butts in seats, in TXSTs case, we just need some success. We've shown in the past we can get 25k for an FCS school and get sellouts against other G5s. I'm pretty sure we get a legit 15k pretty regularly even with our half decade of suckage.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - DavidSt - 01-22-2021 11:38 AM

(01-22-2021 10:44 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

Why? Besides ULM all of those schools budgets are fine. All of these schools are capable of hitting the attendance mark with butts in seats, in TXSTs case, we just need some success. We've shown in the past we can get 25k for an FCS school and get sellouts against other G5s. I'm pretty sure we get a legit 15k pretty regularly even with our half decade of suckage.

I am being sarcastic to Thunder.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-23-2021 09:30 AM

(01-22-2021 11:38 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 10:44 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

I am being sarcastic to Thunder.

Go seek help. All of those schools you listed have budgets and facilities. Find better use of your time. Get out of the basement. The light will do you some good.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - Fighting Muskie - 01-23-2021 10:08 AM

Anyone else get the distinct feeling that once continuity requirements are met that WAC West and WAC Southwest will inevitably split?

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - Bobcat2013 - 01-23-2021 11:18 AM

(01-23-2021 10:08 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Anyone else get the distinct feeling that once continuity requirements are met that WAC West and WAC Southwest will inevitably split?

Yup. See AAC/Big East.

On the WAC board some posters are already voicing concerns over that. Cant blame them

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - Lopes87 - 01-23-2021 11:32 AM

Attendance isn't the only way ppl should be looking at when deeming support.

From Pacific Takes

1. Washington Huskies — 66527.20 people, on average

2. USC Trojans — 66261.40 people, on average

3. UCLA Trojans — 57074.80 people, on average

4. Oregon Ducks — 55509.20 people, on average

5. Arizona State Sun Devils — 49901.80 people, on average

6. Utah Utes — 46349.20 people, on average

7. Colorado Buffaloes — 45687.20 people, on average

8. Arizona Wildcats — 45456.20 people, on average

9. California Golden Bears — 43457.00 people, on average

10. Stanford Cardinal — 43263.40 people, on average

11. Oregon State Beavers — 35217.60 people, on average

12. Washington State Cougars — 30339.20 people, on average

We take a look at the percentage in which those figures fill their stadiums.

1. Oregon — 102.79%

2. Utah — 101.18%

3. Washington — 94.85%

4. Washington State — 92.67%

5. Colorado — 91.04%

6. Stanford — 86.53%

7. USC — 85.50%

8. Arizona — 84.73%

9. Oregon State — 81.61%

10. Arizona State — 77.67%

11. UCLA — 70.80%

12. Cal — 69.57%

Only Oregon State, Arizona State, UCLA and Cal find themselves outside of the top 50 schools for percentage of stadiums filled.

So I would think if there was a percentage measurement on these WAC football schools it could shine a positive light on them going FBS.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - DoubleRSU - 01-23-2021 12:52 PM

(01-23-2021 11:18 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(01-23-2021 10:08 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Anyone else get the distinct feeling that once continuity requirements are met that WAC West and WAC Southwest will inevitably split?

Yup. See AAC/Big East.

On the WAC board some posters are already voicing concerns over that. Cant blame them

Nobody is going to split into a 7 team conference, waiting to be poached by another. The NCAA doesn’t want 5 or 6 team conferences taking auto bids in basketball and football.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - Wedge - 01-23-2021 01:12 PM

(01-22-2021 02:20 AM)Todor Wrote:  That's exactly right. My estimate has been 4 years they'll be in the WAC, but they may be stuck for an extra year after announcing their next move.

Fact: If you are a thousand miles east of the Rockies and you're in the WAC, either nobody else wants anything to do with you, or you're plotting your next move.

Not sure why an NMSU fan thinks Texas is out of place. NMSU is about 20 miles from Texas. NMSU is closer to most of the incoming WAC members than it is to California Baptist, and a helluva lot closer to those Texas schools than it is to Seattle.

RE: WAC Plans To Announce FCS League - DoubleRSU - 01-23-2021 01:59 PM

(01-23-2021 01:12 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 02:20 AM)Todor Wrote:  That's exactly right. My estimate has been 4 years they'll be in the WAC, but they may be stuck for an extra year after announcing their next move.

Not sure why an NMSU fan thinks Texas is out of place. NMSU is about 20 miles from Texas. NMSU is closer to most of the incoming WAC members than it is to California Baptist, and a helluva lot closer to those Texas schools than it is to Seattle.

Because it is. While your statement about them being close to Texas is true, they’re only close to El Paso. Which is 8-10 hours (car ride) away from Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin. El Paso is the only real city in the Mountain time zone in Texas. You can drive from Las Cruces to San Diego faster than you could to Houston.

NMSU is barely closer to the Texas schools than it is to Cal Baptist. They would also lose their closest “rival” in GCU if they went with the Texas schools.