CSNbbs
CUSA to use divisions in both basketball and baseball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: CUSA to use divisions in both basketball and baseball (/thread-913846.html)

CUSA to use divisions in both basketball and baseball - Fort Bend Owl - 12-30-2020 06:07 PM

For basketball, C-USA will feature East and West divisions and will crown divisional champions at the conclusion of conference play in March. Standings will be based on overall conference winning percentage. In addition, divisional seeding will be utilized for the C-USA Men’s and Women’s Championships. A cross-divisional bracket will be used to determine first-round matchups.

The East Division will be comprised of Charlotte, FIU, Florida Atlantic, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion and WKU. Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Rice, Southern Miss, UAB, UTEP and UTSA will make up the West Division.

(BTW, UAB and UNT are already off for this weekend due to Covid cases within the UAB men's program).

The baseball divisions are Charlotte, FIU, Florida Atlantic, Marshall, Old Dominion and WKU in the East, and Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, Rice, Southern Miss, UAB and UTSA in the West. You'll play each of your divisional opponents once in a 3-game set (one twice - is it La Tech for us that we play twice?), and then two series against a team from the other division for a total of 24 games.

The top 8 teams advance to the conference tournament and I'll assume that means the top 4 teams in each division?

RE: CUSA to use divisions in both basketball and baseball - waltgreenberg - 12-30-2020 06:22 PM

(12-30-2020 06:07 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  For basketball, C-USA will feature East and West divisions and will crown divisional champions at the conclusion of conference play in March. Standings will be based on overall conference winning percentage. In addition, divisional seeding will be utilized for the C-USA Men’s and Women’s Championships. A cross-divisional bracket will be used to determine first-round matchups.

The East Division will be comprised of Charlotte, FIU, Florida Atlantic, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion and WKU. Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Rice, Southern Miss, UAB, UTEP and UTSA will make up the West Division.

(BTW, UAB and UNT are already off for this weekend due to Covid cases within the UAB men's program).

The baseball divisions are Charlotte, FIU, Florida Atlantic, Marshall, Old Dominion and WKU in the East, and Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, Rice, Southern Miss, UAB and UTSA in the West. You'll play each of your divisional opponents once in a 3-game set (one twice - is it La Tech for us that we play twice?), and then two series against a team from the other division for a total of 24 games.

The top 8 teams advance to the conference tournament and I'll assume that means the top 4 teams in each division?

Geez, in baseball the West is far and away the superior division.

RE: CUSA to use divisions in both basketball and baseball - Owl Is In Chains - 12-31-2020 03:04 PM

5 or 6 years ago, no one would have cared that the west division for baseball is superior (nor would they whine about it). They would have welcomed the competition.

RE: CUSA to use divisions in both basketball and baseball - Tomball Owl - 12-31-2020 03:56 PM

(12-30-2020 06:22 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(12-30-2020 06:07 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  For basketball, C-USA will feature East and West divisions and will crown divisional champions at the conclusion of conference play in March. Standings will be based on overall conference winning percentage. In addition, divisional seeding will be utilized for the C-USA Men’s and Women’s Championships. A cross-divisional bracket will be used to determine first-round matchups.

Shouldn’t that help the RPI? Sounds like a positive.

RE: CUSA to use divisions in both basketball and baseball - waltgreenberg - 12-31-2020 05:14 PM

(12-31-2020 03:56 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

Marginally, yes, but the two divisions are incredibly unbalanced. In the East, only FIU and FAU, and perhaps UAB, are expected to be Top 100 caliber. UNT and UTEP are the only stinkers in the West, assuming we're as improved as I suspect we will be. I'm not saying we're going to be at USM's or LaTech's level, but I'd be very disappointed if we're not again in the Top 75 - 100.

RE: CUSA to use divisions in both basketball and baseball - Owl Is In Chains - 01-01-2021 02:36 PM

(12-31-2020 05:14 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Marginally, yes, but the two divisions are incredibly unbalanced. In the East, only FIU and FAU, and perhaps UAB, are expected to be Top 100 caliber. UNT and UTEP are the only stinkers in the West, assuming we're as improved as I suspect we will be. I'm not saying we're going to be at USM's or LaTech's level, but I'd be very disappointed if we're not again in the Top 75 - 100.

I am not sure where to start with this, but will try anyway. I am assuming the response is for baseball.

First, what does it say if you are happy to be in the top 100? I believe I have read statements about this being the best hitting team in some time and similar accolades about this recruiting class. Lofty expectations.

Next, I believe the divisions quoted above had UAB in the west. Finally, if Rice cannot beat UNT and UTEP, they should demo Reckling Park as those schools don't have baseball.

RE: CUSA to use divisions in both basketball and baseball - waltgreenberg - 01-01-2021 03:40 PM

(01-01-2021 02:36 PM)Owl Is In Chains Wrote:  
(12-31-2020 05:14 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

I am not sure where to start with this, but will try anyway. I am assuming the response is for baseball.

First, what does it say if you are happy to be in the top 100? I believe I have read statements about this being the best hitting team in some time and similar accolades about this recruiting class. Lofty expectations.

Next, I believe the divisions quoted above had UAB in the west. Finally, if Rice cannot beat UNT and UTEP, they should demo Reckling Park as those schools don't have baseball.

Didn't I say both UNT and UTEP were stinkers? Look, I do think we're going to be great improved this year, but even with our upperclass-laden squad, I think we're one year away from being solidly back in the Top 50 and the NCAA post-season hunt. The past two seasons we have been gawd awful, and well outside the Top 150. Yes, the offense should be pretty good this coming year, especially if the newcomers (Walsh, Garibay, Becker, Karp) contribute from the get-go. However, success is predicated on pitching, and we have a long way to go from last year's staff to be even decent. A lot hinges on the health of Garcia. It will determine whether or not we have a legitimate Friday night starter.

RE: CUSA to use divisions in both basketball and baseball - Texasowl - 01-03-2021 10:31 PM

Why is WBB mostly on the Conf USA channel, which is terrible. I noticed the WBB for the Patriot League are on the CBS Sports Network and their level of play is pretty poor.

RE: CUSA to use divisions in both basketball and baseball - Owl 69/70/75 - 01-03-2021 10:35 PM

(01-03-2021 10:31 PM)Texasowl Wrote:  Why is WBB mostly on the Conf USA channel, which is terrible. I noticed the WBB for the Patriot League are on the CBS Sports Network and their level of play is pretty poor.

Because CUSA is CUSA.