CSNbbs
I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans (/thread-913248.html)

Pages: 1 2

I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - billybobby777 - 12-20-2020 03:33 PM

With the reactions I’m seeing from AAC posters today it’s obvious they feel betrayed by ESPIN.
ESPN continues to rub the term “G5” in on Cincinnati and the AAC.
It’s extremely blatant and cruel what Herby and crew are doing.
But what else did you guys expect?
Just because ESPIN owns the league for 12 more years doesn’t mean they were ever going to add them into a “P6”—sorry, that wasn’t promised.
I feel your rage and understand why you feel betrayed.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - DowdyPirate - 12-20-2020 03:35 PM

Most of the ESPN heads I have seen have argued for Cincinnati. Obviously Herbstreit is an ass, always has been.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - billybobby777 - 12-20-2020 03:37 PM

(12-20-2020 03:35 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  Most of the ESPN heads I have seen have argued for Cincinnati. Obviously Herbstreit is an ass, always has been.

The interview that Herby gave Fickle was bad.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - mustangxc - 12-20-2020 03:39 PM

Joey Galloway put his reputation on the line arguing for Cincinnati. P6 is working. It was never going to happen over night.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - slhNavy91 - 12-20-2020 03:47 PM

"Didn't work" is flawed, fundamentally flawed.

The finish line is the 2026 CFP restructure. The P6 campaign is ongoing, so you can't say "didn't work" as if it's over.
The AAC primary media rights deal was an intermediate objective or measuring stick.
A playoff spot in '17, '18, or even '20 could have been a situation of winning the battle but losing the war.

The reactions from AAC posters are fine - venting, anger itself.

You know what shows that the P6 work in progress is in fact working? The reactions from national college football media. Stewart Mandel, Galloway, Auerbach, Wolken, Rodger Sherman, I'm losing track how many.
Can it still end up not working 5-6 years from now? Sure, it could.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - gulfcoastgal - 12-20-2020 04:10 PM

Enraged, betrayed, not hardly. This year is the closest I’ve felt the AAC could have come to being unseated as premier G5...due to covid and uneven schedules. What I’ve seen and heard is the AAC passes the eye test for the NY6...separation from the other non power conferences. Still more work to be done and a tough hill to climb for ultimate goals to be achieved.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - BullsFanInTX - 12-20-2020 04:11 PM

If the goal was to gain an advantage over the group of 4 in terms of conference reputation, it worked.

The committee felt Cincinnati was better than Coastal. Partly by playing an AAC schedule.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - billybobby777 - 12-20-2020 04:15 PM

(12-20-2020 03:47 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  "Didn't work" is flawed, fundamentally flawed.

The finish line is the 2026 CFP restructure. The P6 campaign is ongoing, so you can't say "didn't work" as if it's over.
The AAC primary media rights deal was an intermediate objective or measuring stick.
A playoff spot in '17, '18, or even '20 could have been a situation of winning the battle but losing the war.

You know what shows that the P6 work in progress is in fact working? The reactions from national college football media. Stewart Mandel, Galloway, Auerbach, Wolken, Rodger Sherman, I'm losing track how many.

They only started softening up when it was announced Cincinnati wasn’t getting in.
They were awful when the idea of Cincinnati getting In the playoff at #4 was an option.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - Foreverandever - 12-20-2020 04:17 PM

(12-20-2020 04:10 PM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  Enraged, betrayed, not hardly. This year is the closest I’ve felt the AAC could have come to being unseated as premier G5...due to covid and uneven schedules. What I’ve seen and heard is the AAC passes the eye test for the NY6...separation from the other non power conferences. Still more work to be done and a tough hill to climb for ultimate goals to be achieved.

^^^^^ This and SLH ^^^^^

Already some talking heads have begun to push the inclusion. Not enough but it was hard to find a national face arguing for UCF in particular the first year, certainly not a serious push on the selection show. Cincy has been getting that, maybe because of how the committee dropped them and the irony of OSU getting in while talking about people dropping for not playing and a weak sos argument not a lot of people seem to buy.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - slhNavy91 - 12-20-2020 04:22 PM

(12-20-2020 04:15 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 03:47 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  "Didn't work" is flawed, fundamentally flawed.

They only started softening up when it was announced Cincinnati wasn’t getting in.
They were awful when the idea of Cincinnati getting In the playoff at #4 was an option.

Ha ha ha.

You CLEARLY weren't paying attention to the reaction of all of them when the penultimate CFP rankings came out last Tuesday.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - DowdyPirate - 12-20-2020 04:31 PM

(12-20-2020 04:15 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Not sure thats true, good things were said last night during ACC game and before AAC game

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - DowdyPirate - 12-20-2020 04:31 PM

Rod Gilmore had UC as his #4 before the rankings were released

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - Bear Catlett - 12-20-2020 04:36 PM

Look, if UC goes undefeated next year with wins at IU and ND, they HAVE to let us in.

They would have zero argument against it. Zero.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - UofMemphis - 12-20-2020 04:36 PM

UCF, Houston, Memphis, and now Cincy have all earned access bowls as AAC members...that's VERY impressive. Unlike the MWC we aren't some one trick pony.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - Attackcoog - 12-20-2020 05:18 PM

(12-20-2020 03:33 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  With the reactions I’m seeing from AAC posters today it’s obvious they feel betrayed by ESPIN.
ESPN continues to rub the term “G5” in on Cincinnati and the AAC.
It’s extremely blatant and cruel what Herby and crew are doing.
But what else did you guys expect?
Just because ESPIN owns the league for 12 more years doesn’t mean they were ever going to add them into a “P6”—sorry, that wasn’t promised.
I feel your rage and understand why you feel betrayed.

Ehh...depends on who you think the audience is.

Did anyone really think it was going to work on a politicized body like the Selection Committee, with a composition heavily stacked in favor of the P5---with a ton of money and self interest in the line? I didnt--but if you think the Selection Committee was the target---then yes---iI guess you could say ts a massive failure.

I never thought the Selection Committee was the target. My sense was it was always targeted at changing the perception general public and the press. As I look at the public reaction on twitter and the comments by the vast majority of sports writers/commentators---the P6 effort has been VERY effective at changing a substantial number of minds. So--I'd push back against any narrative that says the P6 campaign---which frankly is still in its infancy--has already failed. It hasnt. 04-cheers

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - billybobby777 - 12-20-2020 05:20 PM

(12-20-2020 04:36 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  UCF, Houston, Memphis, and now Cincy have all earned access bowls as AAC members...that's VERY impressive. Unlike the MWC we aren't some one trick pony.

Utah did it twice in the MWC
TCU did it twice in the MWC
Boise did it 3 times (2 of the were in the WAC)
Espin gutted the MWC rather than elevate them up.
Espin will take the AAC’s best teams as well.
Keep this post when Cincinnati and Houston/Memphis/UCF are in the Big 12.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - slhNavy91 - 12-20-2020 05:25 PM

(12-20-2020 05:20 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 04:36 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  UCF, Houston, Memphis, and now Cincy have all earned access bowls as AAC members...that's VERY impressive. Unlike the MWC we aren't some one trick pony.

Exactly ONE of your seven examples is from the CFP era.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - Attackcoog - 12-20-2020 05:25 PM

(12-20-2020 05:20 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

So your saying ESPN told the Pac-12 to take Texoma 4? I dont think so---since ESPN paid Texas 15 million to stay put (LHN). I suspect at this point ESPN has very little desire for realignment at the top level. I think ESPN would be interested in an expanded playoff---and I also suspect a guaranteed slot for the G5 would probably be an effective way of substantially expanding interest in the current P5 invitational. You cant exclude half the teams from qualifying for the post season playoff and expect the fans of those excluded teams to be very invested in watching the playoff games.

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - pesik - 12-20-2020 05:41 PM

some of you there is only black or white.. when there is plenty of gray

if you think think the p6 campaign isnt working, you have to be blind..

our national perception has drastically improved...there are more people arguing for us than against us ...
coastal had more top 25 wins and total wins and no one was even debating for coastal over uc on a national level ...but all arguing how uc should have been 6 over oklahoma

clearly havent crossed the finished line...but youd be blind to deny the progress

RE: I can tell the recognition that P6 campaign didn’t work is sinking in on AAC fans - Attackcoog - 12-20-2020 05:48 PM

That means just 11 programs have earned 28 possible Playoff berths since this system started in 2014. Long-term, that’s not a great formula for expanding interest in the sport. And given the way these top programs are recruiting, it’s going to be awfully hard to knock them out anytime soon.

It’s not the committee’s job to engineer new blood into the Playoff field, but it can expand to eight, decrease the subjectivity of the process with automatic bids and ensure that everyone gets a fair shot no matter which conference they play in.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2020/12/20/college-football-playoff-semifinals-lack-drama/3982997001/