CSNbbs
Orange Bowl Rules???? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Orange Bowl Rules???? (/thread-913180.html)

Orange Bowl Rules???? - solohawks - 12-19-2020 06:32 PM

If ND is #5 do they take the ACC slot in the orange bowl or the ND, SEC, Big 10 slot in the orange bowl?

RE: Orange Bowl Rules???? - Statefan - 12-19-2020 06:34 PM

ND is part of the ACC this year, they can get the OB only as the ACC spot, which they will not because they will not fall below 4th. ND could be moved to any of the NY6.

ND could easily move to the Fiesta Bowl and Carolina still take the OB.

RE: Orange Bowl Rules???? - BePcr07 - 12-19-2020 06:34 PM

I think the ND slot is intended for an Independent Notre Dame but I’m not sure if the contract says that. Probably the interpretation in the “spirit of the agreement.”

RE: Orange Bowl Rules???? - solohawks - 12-19-2020 06:40 PM

Well if the committee chooses A&M over ND for that final slot we are going to find out.

RE: Orange Bowl Rules???? - Statefan - 12-19-2020 06:41 PM

(12-19-2020 06:34 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I think the ND slot is intended for an Independent Notre Dame but I’m not sure if the contract says that. Probably the interpretation in the “spirit of the agreement.”

At this point only Carolina or Notre Dame could be in the Orange Bowl from the ACC. Only Texas A&M, Georgia, Florida, or Indiana can be on the other side of the bill.

If TAMU is fourth, then the battle for the OB is between Indiana, UGa, and Florida. Indy has one loss, UGa 2, UF 3. If Indy got the spot, then an ACC team gets the Outback bowl as well.

Indiana needed OSU to win. then Wisconsin to win. UGa has already lost to Bama and UF by 17 and 16.

It might depend on Dabo taking his foot off the gas, but all that does is give Bama ND. He might rather they have to play A&M again.

RE: Orange Bowl Rules???? - ken d - 12-19-2020 06:52 PM

(12-19-2020 06:34 PM)Statefan Wrote:  ND is part of the ACC this year, they can get the OB only as the ACC spot, which they will not because they will not fall below 4th. ND could be moved to any of the NY6.

Notre Dame could easily fall below 4th in the CFP rankings. A blowout loss to Clemson, which barring a strong 4th quarter comeback is a real possibility, would likely give the 4th spot to Texas A&M. The committee could decide that their current high ranking was based on the regular season win against the Tigers. But it becomes easy to make the case that the double OT win was the fluke, with Lawrence missing the game for Clemson.

RE: Orange Bowl Rules???? - quo vadis - 12-19-2020 07:40 PM

With Clemson easing up making the final score a semi-respectable 34-10 as opposed to an abject blowout, I think ND gets the final playoff spot.

But if they don't, to answer the OP's question, ND is *part of the ACC* this season so can qualify for the Orange Bowl only via the ACC route.

If ND does not make the playoffs, they will go to the Orange Bowl and North Carolina will be out of the NY6.

RE: Orange Bowl Rules???? - Wahoowa84 - 12-19-2020 07:48 PM

This year, Notre Dame is guaranteed no worse than the Orange Bowl. Most likely, Notre Dame is still in the CFP payoffs...with UNC representing the ACC in the Orange Bowl.

RE: Orange Bowl Rules???? - stever20 - 12-19-2020 07:52 PM

(12-19-2020 06:34 PM)Statefan Wrote:  ND is part of the ACC this year, they can get the OB only as the ACC spot, which they will not because they will not fall below 4th. ND could be moved to any of the NY6.

That's not correct. If ND isn't top 4, the Orange Bowl contract would put Notre Dame as ACC rep in the Orange Bowl. They have to take the highest ACC team available, which is Notre Dame.

RE: Orange Bowl Rules???? - stever20 - 12-19-2020 07:54 PM

(12-19-2020 06:41 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(12-19-2020 06:34 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I think the ND slot is intended for an Independent Notre Dame but I’m not sure if the contract says that. Probably the interpretation in the “spirit of the agreement.”

At this point only Carolina or Notre Dame could be in the Orange Bowl from the ACC. Only Texas A&M, Georgia, Florida, or Indiana can be on the other side of the bill.

If TAMU is fourth, then the battle for the OB is between Indiana, UGa, and Florida. Indy has one loss, UGa 2, UF 3. If Indy got the spot, then an ACC team gets the Outback bowl as well.

Indiana needed OSU to win. then Wisconsin to win. UGa has already lost to Bama and UF by 17 and 16.

It might depend on Dabo taking his foot off the gas, but all that does is give Bama ND. He might rather they have to play A&M again.

Indiana not playing stops them from leaping Georgia for sure.