CSNbbs
Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" (/thread-913140.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - pvk75 - 12-19-2020 11:07 AM

Bret Bielema named new head coach at Illinois.

https://www.si.com/college/illinois/football/bret-bielema-hired-as-illini-head-football-coach-dec-19-2020

Bielema was def. coord at Wisconsin (2005-06), then head coach (2006-2012).

Sean T. Frazier was deputy athletic director and chief of staff to the AD (Barry Alvarez) at Wisconsin, 2007-2013, then became NIU AD later in 2013.

THammock was a grad asst. at Wisconsin (2003-04) and then as RB coach and assistant head coach (2011-13).

Think NIU can get on the Illini schedule some time?

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - BobL - 12-19-2020 12:03 PM

So just more losing for the Illini.

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - Big Red - 12-19-2020 12:44 PM

(12-19-2020 11:07 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  Bret Bielema named new head coach at Illinois.

https://www.si.com/college/illinois/football/bret-bielema-hired-as-illini-head-football-coach-dec-19-2020

Bielema was def. coord at Wisconsin (2005-06), then head coach (2006-2012).

Sean T. Frazier was deputy athletic director and chief of staff to the AD (Barry Alvarez) at Wisconsin, 2007-2013, then became NIU AD later in 2013.

THammock was a grad asst. at Wisconsin (2003-04) and then as RB coach and assistant head coach (2011-13).

Think NIU can get on the Illini schedule some time?

Nope

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - Big Red - 12-19-2020 12:47 PM

(12-19-2020 12:03 PM)BobL Wrote:  So just more losing for the Illini.

I keep hearing this from Wisconsinites and I get they're still sore he left them but, from my understanding, he left because he felt his assistants were being underpaid and they wouldn't pay them more.

Nevertheless, he won 3 B1G championships at Wisconsin. If that's the kind of losing tradition he's bringing to Illinois, I'm sure the Illini fans will be just fine with all that losing.

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - NIU05 - 12-19-2020 01:15 PM

Bielema is a good hire for them, at the vet least he will bring respectability back. That Toledo hire (Beckman) set them back a decade. He wasn't even a top MAC coach and one of the weaker coaches that have coached at Toledo.

Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - Dog Fan - 12-19-2020 01:23 PM

(12-19-2020 01:15 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  Bielema is a good hire for them, at the vet least he will bring respectability back. That Toledo hire (Beckman) set them back a decade. He wasn't even a top MAC coach and one of the weaker coaches that have coached at Toledo.

And Toledo has had plenty of bad coaches. We know it’s not the players because they annually have the no. 1 recruiting classes in the nation.

Bielma is a good hire for the Illini.

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - HawaiiToNIU - 12-19-2020 01:33 PM

I liked Lovie and thought he was helping build them back up from being awful into a team that was at least competing. But again, just competing isn't good enough. They need a team to get them to that next level, from just being in the race to winning the race.

I very much believe Bielema can be that guy to turn them into a winner again. Illinois isn't a team I cheer for, but I want someone in Illinois (other than Northwestern) to be competitive enough to establish football relevancy for our state. Sorry Dog Fan, I agree with you on most of anything. But I'm not a fan Northwestern people.

Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - Dog Fan - 12-19-2020 02:06 PM

(12-19-2020 01:33 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  I liked Lovie and thought he was helping build them back up from being awful into a team that was at least competing. But again, just competing isn't good enough. They need a team to get them to that next level, from just being in the race to winning the race.

I very much believe Bielema can be that guy to turn them into a winner again. Illinois isn't a team I cheer for, but I want someone in Illinois (other than Northwestern) to be competitive enough to establish football relevancy for our state. Sorry Dog Fan, I agree with you on most of anything. But I'm not a fan Northwestern people.

Hey!! As a Northwestern grad, I am offended. Now, I need to calm myself down with a glass of fine French wine. And, when I see you, I will shove a hot dog down your mouth (if only I can find a hot dog)!

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - HawaiiToNIU - 12-19-2020 02:08 PM

(12-19-2020 02:06 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(12-19-2020 01:33 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  I liked Lovie and thought he was helping build them back up from being awful into a team that was at least competing. But again, just competing isn't good enough. They need a team to get them to that next level, from just being in the race to winning the race.

Hey!! As a Northwestern grad, I am offended. Now, I need to calm myself down with a glass of fine French wine. And, when I see you, I will shove a hot dog down your mouth (if only I can find a hot dog)!

You never cease to amaze me. I put you on my short list of Northwestern people I admire. It goes you and Pat Fitzgerald. I like Pat a lot and think he's doing an amazing job up there.

Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - Dog Fan - 12-19-2020 02:14 PM

(12-19-2020 02:08 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(12-19-2020 02:06 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

You never cease to amaze me. I put you on my short list of Northwestern people I admire. It goes you and Pat Fitzgerald. I like Pat a lot and think he's doing an amazing job up there.

In that case, I apologize and will share some of my French wine with you. (Remember to lift your pinky finger while sipping!). And, I will be happy to buy you a hot dog loaded with fresh condiments. Actually, if I can find any at Huskie Stadium or the Convo, I’ll buy you a couple!

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - IWokeUpLikeThis - 12-19-2020 04:36 PM

[Image: biel-with-it-2.gif]

[Image: BmEoKABIMAAM2nf.jpg]

[Image: NtLAUxQk4_RHao8x8NRGhGq9s0pG_87Xk3i-9RWw...vzxsK4_g54]

[Image: jen-bielema-vegas-594x594-4eb5536363693d...38e7fe.jpg]

[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_11_24_at_7.23.54_PM.png]

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - IWokeUpLikeThis - 12-19-2020 04:37 PM

Excuse you, Lovie

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - thxjoenovak - 12-19-2020 04:45 PM

(12-19-2020 04:36 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  [Image: biel-with-it-2.gif]

[Image: BmEoKABIMAAM2nf.jpg]

[Image: NtLAUxQk4_RHao8x8NRGhGq9s0pG_87Xk3i-9RWw...vzxsK4_g54]

[Image: jen-bielema-vegas-594x594-4eb5536363693d...38e7fe.jpg]

[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_11_24_at_7.23.54_PM.png]

Had a feeling Jen was gonna make an appearance in the thread.

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - BDB5yp - 12-19-2020 04:48 PM

He’s from they area. He’ll recruit well. It’s a great hire for them. Speaking of Northwestern though, I was surprised that they got to the Big Ten Championship. They haven’t been that dominant since the Rose Bowl/ Darnell Autrey days...

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - Big Red - 12-19-2020 05:26 PM

(12-19-2020 04:48 PM)BDB5yp Wrote:  He’s from they area. He’ll recruit well. It’s a great hire for them. Speaking of Northwestern though, I was surprised that they got to the Big Ten Championship. They haven’t been that dominant since the Rose Bowl/ Darnell Autrey days...

Someone had to "win" the West.

Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - Dog Fan - 12-19-2020 05:30 PM

(12-19-2020 05:26 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(12-19-2020 04:48 PM)BDB5yp Wrote:  He’s from they area. He’ll recruit well. It’s a great hire for them. Speaking of Northwestern though, I was surprised that they got to the Big Ten Championship. They haven’t been that dominant since the Rose Bowl/ Darnell Autrey days...

Difficult for any team to beat Ohio State. Northwestern is good. They would wipe the floor with us.

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - Big Red - 12-19-2020 05:36 PM

(12-19-2020 05:30 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

Difficult for any team to beat Ohio State. Northwestern is good. They would wipe the floor with us.

Comparing any team in the B1G West to what they would do to NIU is a waste of time. Ohio State slogged through a win today against NU and didn't overly impress at all.

I think if Iowa State beat Oklahoma, they'd have leapfrogged Ohio State for the CFP. But them losing means the only team that has a chance to nudge them out is Texas A&M but, they're a long shot not being in a conference championship.

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - Big Red - 12-19-2020 05:39 PM

(12-19-2020 05:36 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Comparing any team in the B1G West to what they would do to NIU is a waste of time. Ohio State slogged through a win today against NU and didn't overly impress at all.

I think if Iowa State beat Oklahoma, they'd have leapfrogged Ohio State for the CFP. But them losing means the only team that has a chance to nudge them out is Texas A&M but, they're a long shot not being in a conference championship.

Speaking of conference championships. Ya gotta love the gumption of the AAC scheduling their championship to run against the SEC championship at 7 Central.

They sure are a plucky conference.

But it's kind of hard to argue you deserve to be in the Group of 6 when you make sure no one watches your conference championship.

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - HuskieDave - 12-19-2020 06:53 PM

A two loss, including a blowout loss to Louisiana, Iowa State was not going to jump an undefeated B1G champion. No chance.

RE: Bielema new HC at Illinois ... "The Wisconsin Connection" - Big Red - 12-19-2020 07:17 PM

(12-19-2020 06:53 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  

A two loss, including a blowout loss to Louisiana, Iowa State was not going to jump an undefeated B1G champion. No chance.

Maybe. But its a moot point.

Now...does Notre Dame hold on to the 4th spot after today?